FAO Fortress dislike

Jedi76
828 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited January 2017
Hi all.

From reading many posts on the maps, it seems that many people do not like FAO Fortress, but don't really elaborate why.

Myself included.

My reason is because in a game where not many people even attempt teamwork, FAO Fortress seems to compound this issue even further for some reason. It just turns out to be a glorified chicken coop with people running around with no real aim.

I also think the capture points are too close together and the map is too open for these short distances.

No matter what team I am with, or who we are opposing, this map just never plays well...

Comments

• TaCtiCaL323
    525 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'd be willing to bet it's because most teams gravitate towards E and F and then set up shop.

That's why I hate it anyways. Still not as bad as Argonne though.
  • Jedi76
    828 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2017
    I'd be willing to bet it's because most teams gravitate towards E and F and then set up shop.

That's why I hate it anyways. Still not as bad as Argonne though.

Yeah, people do concentrate on the Fort a lot.

Argonne is bad, but I still prefer it over Fortress (and that is coming from a Sniper, if you can get positioned well in Argonne there are some decent rat-runs to make plenty of kills, Fortress is just poor from anywhere).
  • TEKNOCODE
    10684 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I like Fao, especially B, C and D. I also enjoy F on occasion. My preference is to hit D, C, B, F and the circle back to B.
  • Emporer2
    291 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I enjoy Fao. I used to like it because I ran as a scout but I enjoy it mostly as a pilot. Lots of open space with only a few AAs (seems like some of the other maps had AAs added, but that might just be me). As a pilot, I usually just hang around the objectives on my team's spawn side of the map. One plane can concentrate on about half of the objectives without having to cross the midway point on the map and get shot by the opposing team's AA.

I know a lot gravitate to the fortress, but I would say D is the most contested objective on the map. Since it overlooks everything, every team wants to control that point.
  • Masher8559
    211 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It's a small map yet a complete sniper fest. Which ever team captures the fort E/F they usually end up losing as half their team will camp inside the fort whilst every flag outside is taken. There is also a lack of cover on pretty much every objective outside of the fort apart from C. it's just not a fun map to play on for somebody like my self who always PTFO.

I actually like it less than Suez.
  • M0istGamer
    794 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Here is the key to Fao Fortress.

You roll the dice and hope the volume of challenged kids is higher on their team, than it is on yours. Because they only cap E and F.

The intelligent ones know to ignore the fort altogether.
  • DarkestHour138
    992 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2017
    M0istGamer wrote: »

You roll the dice and hope the volume of challenged kids is higher on their team, than it is on yours. Because they only cap E and F.

I somewhat disagree. While it's important to take the other objectives you still need at least one good squad taking the fort. I know it tends to turn into 20 players in the fort when you're on a bad team but good teams still have one good squad taking/keeping the fortress. It's not like Sinai where G is the singular objective out in no mans land, the fort has two objectives that can mean victory or defeat.

FYI, I hate that map.
  • MattieLyte
    20 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Bingo. I never even attempt to capture the fort and win by holding all the other points.
  • ThePoolshark
    2502 postsMember, Game Changer, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Game Changer
    I like Fao a lot. One of my favorite maps
  • lh20122012
    1830 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I love this map. It's probably my favorite. But then I like cavalry so...
  • Petedawg508
    1222 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Love this map!
  • skippylarue
    1004 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I somewhat disagree. While it's important to take the other objectives you still need at least one good squad taking the fort. I know it tends to turn into 20 players in the fort when you're on a bad team but good teams still have one good squad taking/keeping the fortress. It's not like Sinai where G is the singular objective out in no mans land, the fort has two objectives that can mean victory or defeat.

FYI, I hate that map.

Time and time again, I'll see teams take everything but the Fort only to lose everything when they try to take it. The Fort tends to favour the defenders so taking it often requires a long, drawn out push, making your team really susceptible to back capping.
  • DarkestHour138
    992 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

FYI, I hate that map.

Time and time again, I'll see teams take everything but the Fort only to lose everything when they try to take it. The Fort tends to favour the defenders so taking it often requires a long, drawn out push, making your team really susceptible to back capping.

Again, one good squad should be able to take the fort. Not the whole team.

Pushing on to the fort from the front is nearly impossible and takes a lot of effort and players. If you go from the back you can clear the back walls, take E and then work the front walls up to F.

But just ignoring the fort altogether gives the other team two objectives for the whole round and a large area to snipe onto the other objectives from. And let's be honest, B, D, and G don't have much cover.
  • Khal_Fraggo
    494 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The fort is indeed a camper-fest, and the team that captures its two points often ends up losing because they keep ONLY the fort and lose all the other points.

My biggest gripe, though, is that the team that spawns in the West has an advantage over the East. It's difficult to get to A and the West team can easily recap it. Meanwhile, a good tanker can drive straight to G and lock it down pretty easily all by himself.
  • Broliszibaila
    237 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2017
    I love this map. Just ignore fort and tell do the same for team. To take fort and hold it takes too much time and menpower...If you get lucky and get team with brains, you shall easily win, because good players just forgets that fort and pushing all others flags. Great map.
  • Prep768
    3235 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    ignore the fort altogether.

I employ this tactic - it works
    + this map gives me an excuse to dust off my rifle ;)
  • crabman169
    12841 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The fort is actually very important; gives sight lines to the whole map, has two flags, sentry pickup, field guns, aa guns and is pivotal for the British to have a solid foothold and is pretty much a gimme flag for the Ottomans.

I'd say I spend most of my time on this map around Apples, Charile, Duff, Edward and Freddy for both sides. George is kinda aways out, open and visual from ottoman spawn plus the water. Butter is just asking to get domed or sabered.

The players are what make this map flow or not. Everyone fighting over objectives and flanking; good. Campers perched below the cliff face; what are you doing? what are you even aiming at? Butter?

Remember there are boats guys. That Apples/Butter for the Ottomans and the Fort for the British is to do it right.

Apart from the rocky outcrops and marshland; this map is good for cavalry. Nothing like charging the battlements of the fort
  • BigWoofWoof
    678 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Played a game of Rush last night on FAO Fortress and got totally owned, defending and attacking :-/
  • Khaotik707
    584 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Fao problem is the same as any other huge open map, it's a camping snipers heaven.

I enjoy fighting around the 2 centre flags, I enjoy taking the fort from the enemy - but that's a catch 22, because it's fun to attack but then whoever takes it just camps there for as long they can. I hate going for the D flag and either gimme flag.

It's not as bad as some maps, but it's one of the more annoying ones.
  • mav_smileyface
    1313 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    hmm seeing a lot of hate towards the fort!

i love FAO i usually finish with 40+ kills 17k points which ever side i spawn on,

if i spawn East i will head straight to F with my squad neutralise the enemy boat squad then i will take E as its usually uncontested if you kill the enemies initial boat, so on a really good game my team already has A, B, F & E

After E it is straight over to C to reinforce my team then up to D

that is my squads strategy then from there on i will always contest B, C, E & F i'll go D occasionally for the laughs if we are dominating.

If we spawn west, its straight to F, then my squad fragments and 3 go off to E, if we successfully neutralise any F rushers, we regroup and meet in the rock trenches near B take that flag, then move up to C then D.

FAO is one of my favourite maps as a medic