So I bought BF4 yesterday...

Jedi76
828 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited February 2017
Decided to buy BF4 yesterday (PS4) because I had never played it and fancied a bit of modern fighting instead of BF1 for a change.

Man, I am sorry to say this but the difference for me was like night and day.

BF4 plays so much better, the weapons actually kill the enemy when you get the drop on them, rather than my usual experience in BF1 of emptying half a mag into someone only to be one-shotted back.

I actually stand a chance as Assault in BF4, something that literally never happens for me in BF1. I have never been great at Assaut, but I also knew I was not that bad of a player, and BF4 has proved that when the game is balanced properly, and works like it should, I can actually do ok.

I feel at the moment I am going to shelf BF1 for a little while and play BF4 instead, there seems to be nowhere near the same level of frustration.

I know BF1 is still a relatively young game, but evenly balanced play should be in there right from launch date, and it does not seem to be.

Comments

• blerooooo
    40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Jedi76 wrote: »
    emptying half a mag into someone only to be one-shotted back.
    This. The bullet spongy enemies are killing the game for me. I know bullet drop lower the dmg and so on, but come on, it is too much. Even in close quarters the mp18 is useless, you can see enemies soaking bullets and then knife you. That's some CoD style, whit the difference that in CoD bullets actually do dmg.

• ragecomic9
    153 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Same with you i just buy BF4 in January
    but my experience is worse
    Carbine and AR all day long
    870 MCS shotty with insane range
    Recon with Shotgun, rooftop camping, one sided match
    Locker only server
    empty official server, being kicked for no reason in custom server, join Noob/beginner Only Server with half player level 100+ etc
    but i will keep playing if i need break from BF1

sorry grammar
  • MonoAmine
    36 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    You say you just got bf4,it took them nearly 2 years to get bf4 where it is today.bf4 was a mess on release,and you can't compare a 3year old game to one that's only been out 4 months or so.

So what? Bf1 is out and received several patches. Imo as soon as they charge money for their product it's just fair to compare it with other titles.
  • doctorrocktor
    1746 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    MonoAmine wrote: »
    You say you just got bf4,it took them nearly 2 years to get bf4 where it is today.bf4 was a mess on release,and you can't compare a 3year old game to one that's only been out 4 months or so.

So what? Bf1 is out and received several patches. Imo as soon as they charge money for their product it's just fair to compare it with other titles.

yep ok
  • crabman169
    12841 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

So it's okay to compare a three year old game, post dlc cycle plus free dlc and post life support (and only taking into account its current state not the various states over its life or the same as four months old) to a game that is only four months old, has three patches up its sleeve and is yet to have dlc?

What a profound logic...
  • Vicb0u
    155 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    This should probably be in the BF4 section of the forum.
  • MonoAmine
    36 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    crabman169 wrote: »

So it's okay to compare a three year old game, post dlc cycle plus free dlc and post life support (and only taking into account its current state not the various states over its life or the same as four months old) to a game that is only four months old, has three patches up its sleeve and is yet to have dlc?

What a profound logic...

Of course it is unless you expect every game to be released in the same miserable condition. One could argue that the quality should be increasing overtime.
  • bulletsearl
    1110 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

Well one could at least expect that they carry on the good stuff instead of dropping it / replacing it with a broken version.
    Battlelog, Spawns, Reviving, Servers, only to name a few.
    Maybe they thought it would look like a reskin if they would have carried all of that over?
  • A_warped_mind
    1044 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    iano1978 wrote: »
    OP, you have played 22mins of BF4 and gotten 3 kills.
    If that is enough to justify your comparison of both games, well i dont know what to say...
    lol

• Jedi76
    828 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2017
    If that is enough to justify your comparison of both games, well i dont know what to say...

It is enough to justify the comparison I made in my original post.

Which is that I believe Assault plays far better in BF4.

I still stand by the fact that I should not empty half a mag into a guy who survives and instantly kills me, regardless of whether the game is one month old or 3 years old.

Out of the three kills I did get, they just felt like they should do, not a constant struggle, and losing even when I get the drop on someone.
  • 53MT3X-11
    436 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited February 2017

Perhaps you would think DICE or EA would have taken the lessons learned from all the previous installments and applied them to future releases... So ummm...
    Same as the bugs that were around in BF3 - why do they appear again down the line, several installments later - still? So in some respects it can be compared.

Perhaps the difference is so noticeable that was all the time needed?
  • Vicb0u
    155 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

That made me laugh out loud!

• A_warped_mind
    1044 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Which is Assault plays far better in BF4.
    Comparing a 2 year old game (especially if you never played it in it's first 4 months to 1 year with a game that's only 4 months old) does not give a good representation. even if it was 3 minutes or 3 weeks.

And Comparing Assault in BF4 to Assault BF1 they are so far apart from each other heck they don't even have the same weapon type.
  • Jedi76

It is enough to justify the comparison I made.

Which is Assault plays far better in BF4.

I still stand by the fact that I should not empty half a mag into a guy who survives and instantly kills me, regardless of whether the game is one month old or 3 years old.

I can bet the OP wouldn't be saying how great it is if he had bought it on release 2 years ago he'd probably have a breakdown and vow never to buy another BF or Dice game again.

So comparing BF4 now with BF1 now is not a good way.

If you're going to compare them then Compare BF4 from it's first 4 months to BF1's first 4 months (chalk and cheese at least BF1 actually works and is playable in it's first 4 months)

But if DICE have had BF4 going for all this time, have they not learned any lessons from it on how to balance certain aspects of the game-play, so it is at least somewhat stable when the new game launches? or perhaps from the second/ third update?

I don't understand. They must have gathered and analysed so much data from all the previous BF titles, but then put out a new one with such a glaring issue (at least from my perspective) and don't seem to be doing much to fix it.

But hey, at least we got new dogtags.
  • iano1978
    612 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

I know you are frustrated OP but I think you are frustrated by netcode issues. I have played BF4 since launch and BF1 since launch and in my opinion the netcode issues on BF1 are nothing like BF4 (even in present state). BF1 plays very smoothly for me.

I always say that it is soldier position that will get you kills, not who fires first.

• Jedi76
    edited February 2017

I know you are frustrated OP but I think you are frustrated by netcode issues. I have played BF4 since launch and BF1 since launch and in my opinion the netcode issues on BF1 are nothing like BF4 (even in present state). BF1 plays very smoothly for me.

I always say that it is soldier position that will get you kills, not who fires first.

I don't know then, perhaps that's the problem.

BF4 still did seem to play far better for me (even in the short time I played it) I know it is an older game, and admittedly much of the problems will have been ironed out.

But BF1 is their flagship game at the moment, and DICE seem to not be doing very much to fix the bigger "elephant in the room" issues. This update should have been fixing things like netcoding and team balancing and revive glitches etc. no mention of any of that...

Which is a bit of a shame, because I really do love BF1, it is great when it plays well. Which is unfortunately not too often in my experience.