Game stutters like crazy after 2 to 3 rounds

YuriadvX
27 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
When i enter the first round of conquest, the game runs fine, not smooth of course, but fine, playable.
But once i start the 3rd round (around 1 hour with the game open, which is 2 rounds of conquest) the game starts stuttering like crazy, and there's no way out besides restarting the game.
I run it in Dx11 mode, i found out that these stutters are less frequent when i'm running Dx12, but then i get lower fps (below 60)
I play in 1080p, specs are:
i7 3770 (non K)
GTX 780 Ti
8GB RAM DDR3 (2x4GB)
I also noticed that these stutters are way more frequent in maps like St Quentin scar, Amiens and Empire's Edge (maybe that's the reason why i always suck at these maps) and they don't happen so often in the desert maps, Sinai, Suez and Fao fortress (which are the ones that i get my best personal scores by the way)

Comments

• BigF33t_13
    6725 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    What's your ram usage when this happens?
  • YuriadvX
    27 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    BigF33t_13 wrote: »
    What's your ram usage when this happens?

When this happens, game uses around 4,43 GB of RAM, and the general memory usage is 7 GB out of 8 GB
  • Adalwulf007
    35 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Has been happening to me too since the last patch. My ram usage is around 8-9 GB (I have 16), a gtx 1080, i7 - 4790K and run at a resolution of 3440X1440. The first match is smooth, the next one whatever it might be feels very stuttery although my FPS is constantly at 97 fps (I use G-Sync and Fast Sync). I hadn't updated the geforce drivers in a while as I had a stable experience but ended up updating to play For Honor. While other games run good, BF1 stutters a lot now.
  • PhAse-Shifter-nz
    367 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited February 2017
    The stutters in this patch are starting to be acknowledged by more people now. It's reminiscent of the earlier patches except for the last patch (Jan) which is the only patch that I'd say the game ran smoothly. Was very disappointed to see the stutter return in this one.

Does anyone know what in the game is causing the frame drops? Is it bad code? I don't believe it's our hardware, I get frame drops when capped at 60 fps down into the 50's sometimes lower. I also get frame drops/stutter when capped at 120 fps as well but only into the 80's. If it truly was a hardware bottleneck then I'd still be dipping into the 50's when capped at 120 fps. Anyone able to explain?
  • Airtrooper719
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited February 2017
    I am also getting the same symptoms.

i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz
    GTX 1070
    8GB @ 2133MHz
    144hz G-Sync Enabled (and when disabled)
    Win 10 Anniversary 64-bit

gametime.maxvariable fps 0 = Stuttering on the 3rd round
    gametime.maxvariable fps 144 = Stuttering on the 3rd round
    gametime.maxvariable fps 120 = Stuttering on the 3rd round
    gametime.maxvariable fps 100 = Stuttering on the 3rd round
    gametime.maxvariable fps 80 = Stuttering on the 3rd round
    gametime.maxvariable fps 60 = Stuttering on the 3rd round

Even though my system NEVER dips below 70-80fps at the 0.1% lows, if I cap it to 60, when it dips, it will dip to the 50's..... I mean what the heck is that all about? Where is the logic in that?

Post-match menu's are extremely laggy whether capped or uncapped.

Tried rolling back to 375.63 driver after using DDU. All this done was drop my average FPS, stutters still occurred.

Tried disabling/uninstalling geforce experience/shadowplay. Still the problem persists.

Orange/Red network warnings flashing every 1-2 seconds, despite a ping of 23ms and 60mbps down/20mbps up fibre connection via ethernet.

Tried going from 1080p Ultra @ 100% scaling, to 1080p Low @ 25% scaling. Still the same problem.

Tried running CPU at stock voltage/frequency, still the same issue, even tried undervolting and underclocking it, still the same problem.

On average RTSS reports:

CPU usage = 99-100%
    GPU usage = 85-99%

With cap below 80fps

CPU usage = 50-70%
    GPU usage = 45-55%

Total RAM usage @ Ultra 1080p (including all background processes) = 6.9GB / 8.0GB

I just formatted my entire PC in a last bid effort to get this buggy piece of trash working, finished installing Win 10 (older release, pre-anniversary update) and almost done downloading BF1, it is the only game installed. So this will be a fresh attempt at a new install, new OS, NO afterburner/OSD's/shadowplay running, no third party apps installed, latest nvidia driver 378.66.

Will post back if I notice any improvement, but I highly, highly doubt it. My newborn son kept me up since 3am so I decided as I only have 1 hand to do stuff, so gaming is out of the question, I'll give the format/new install a try.

• PhAse-Shifter-nz
    367 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited February 2017

Even though my system NEVER dips below 70-80fps at the 0.1% lows, if I cap it to 60, when it dips, it will dip to the 50's..... I mean what the heck is that all about? Where is the logic in that?

Exactly as I posted above, if it truly was a hardware bottleneck it would dip to the 50's while running the higher fps. Totally something in the game. The wild goose chase we get put on to figure these things out as well, geez.

• Kajjal
    822 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    For some this will be due to needing more memory to run the game smoothly so windows and bf1 can cache everything in ram rather than using the swap file.
  • bran1986
    5794 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2017
    Having the same issue(16gb RAM) after 3 or so rounds I will get insane stuttering in the last round and some freezing, and then at the end of the round the game will freeze at the battlepack screen and I will eventually get a disconnect. The issue started showing for me in mid January or so.
  • Airtrooper719
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Well guys, I formatted my PC, clean installed W10 and downloaded a fresh copy of BF1 and played 5 full games of 64 player conquest, played flawless without a single hitch :)

Windows 10 64 - Build 10586 (before anniversary update)
    Nvidia Driver 378.66

I have forced windows update off for the time being, I don't see any reason to upgrade to anniversary edition right now, other than the few minor bugs on the old version of w10, the game is playing absolutely amazing.

Im not saying to go and format your PC's, but all I am saying is, it has definately worked for me to fix the microstuttering and huge fps drops. If your at wits end and were considering it, it has worked for me and may help you too (well, if your lucky to have an old install of w10 laying around or find an old build ISO!)
  • Solid_SkG
    1134 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Its like my 50th time saying that and i will keep saying it.

ON THE FIRST ROUND OF THE DAY THE GAME NEEDS AROUND 8-9 GB'S OF RAM,AFTER THAT IT WILL NEED 10-12.YOUR RAM USAGE REACHES ONLY 4,43 GB BECAUSE IT CAN REACH ITS 100% USAGE.

Thats a fact since the fall update guys there has nothing to do with the new patch.
  • Airtrooper719
    Back to confirm I've played for about 3 hours straight now, always full 64 player servers, have done every map in the game at least 1-2 times now. Smooth as silk. Im not sure if it has to do with the older build of windows 10, or the fact that I have completed downloaded BF1 again from stock with no old folders etc laying around. All I know is it's been hella fun being able to play this game like BF4 runs.
  • YuriadvX
    I don't know, just thinking about the time it would take to redownload all my games, bf1 only would take a day or two, that just throws me away from formatting.
  • PhAse-Shifter-nz
    Back to confirm I've played for about 3 hours straight now, always full 64 player servers, have done every map in the game at least 1-2 times now. Smooth as silk. Im not sure if it has to do with the older build of windows 10, or the fact that I have completed downloaded BF1 again from stock with no old folders etc laying around. All I know is it's been hella fun being able to play this game like BF4 runs.

Very interesting Airtrooper. I don't know if I'll go as far as reinstalling Windows but I'll try reinstalling the game. Fingers crossed.
  • PhAse-Shifter-nz
    I've got positive news. I rebooted my machine in diagnostic mode (disabling all user services and startup programs) and the game is running like butter! No stutter or frame drops anywhere. Now for working out what the culprit service/program is. Highly recommend doing this...
  • YuriadvX
    edited February 2017
    Formatted my PC, game running relatively smooth, but i still got bad FPS in maps like Scar and especially in Amiens, which is still a 50 FPS fest for me.
    Starting to think that my 780 Ti can't handle this game as it should.
  • 0n3Gun3R
    414 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited February 2017
    You should install more RAM also your usage will climb as you play. When it starts check your RAM usage

Also 780ti not really going to cut it also only 3GB vram should look into at least 1060 the 6GB vram one.

• PhAse-Shifter-nz
    YuriadvX wrote: »
    Formatted my PC, game running relatively smooth, but i still got bad FPS in maps like Scar and especially in Amiens, which is still a 50 FPS fest for me.

Did you install any user apps after re-installing Windows before trying the game again?
  • YuriadvX
    edited February 2017

Did you install any user apps after re-installing Windows before trying the game again?

Only firefox, Logitech mouse software and my soundcard program (asus xonar dgx).
  • PhAse-Shifter-nz
    edited February 2017

Only firefox, Logitech mouse software and my soundcard program (asus xonar dgx).

Maybe try booting to diagnostic mode to rule out any user app/process you've installed as a conflict. Do this:

Go to start and type msconfig. Go to services and click "hide all Microsoft services" and then click "Disable all". Then put a tick back in "Origin Client Service", "Origin Web Helper Service" and "PnkBstrA" services. Click the startup tab and go to Task Manager. In Task Manager go to the startup tab and disable everything. Go back to the services tab in msconfig and apply the changes you made and restart your computer.

It's possible the 780 Ti can't cope with some of the graphics settings on ultra, maybe try lowering lighting, post process and mesh to med - high...

I played Amiens last night and my CPU was pegged at 100% for the whole round but my fps was still good. It's the first time I've seen a whole round at 100% so there's definitely been some changes in the patch and I still think the game has performance issues of it's own as well. It's a very demanding game, perhaps too much and could be better optimized.
  • PhAse-Shifter-nz
    0n3Gun3R wrote: »
    You should install more RAM also your usage will climb as you play. When it starts check your RAM usage

Also 780ti not really going to cut it also only 3GB vram should look into at least 1060 the 6GB vram one.

There are some graphics settings that affect vram usage a lot, you'll have to play around but you should be able to keep it under 3 GB. I don't think I've seen much over 3 GB with post process, lighting and mesh turned down to med-high.