So anti-tank mines blow up horses now?

bob-the-acman
16 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
Hello, I am an avid Cavalry user and have nearly 7000 kills with the horse. Today I was playing the DLC and got killed by an anti-tank mine. In my many hours of experience riding the horse, I can say with some confidence that this has never happened to me before. But I thought it might have been a bug or something - someone might have shot the things and made them blow up? I don't know. So next round I come across some spotted anti-tank mines by chance and decide to put it to the test. Rode over them - no enemies nearby - and sure enough, they blow up.

I am curious as to whether this is a feature that has been in the game forever that I have by some miracle not been aware of, or this has slipped under the radar for me and been put in the game recently?

Comments

• Ken_Hammered
    241 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I don't know, but GOOD!

Will definitely be loading up on some mines from now on if true.

Stuff you and the horse you rode in on.
  • Frankenstein68
    419 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I don't know, but GOOD!

Will definitely be loading up on some mines from now on if true.

Stuff you and the horse you rode in on.

Same here; thanks for the tip! Sick and tired of the silent horse rider with the 12’ sword. Time for revenge!

;)
  • boutneus
    2484 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Dice is smoking
  • Loqtrall
    12468 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Good, that's absolutely great.

It makes absolute sense that an anti tank mine would absolutely decimate a horse. The cavalry soldier is strong enough as it is.
  • crabman169
    12848 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Wow.

GG Dice. Rather then introduce caltrops we have to worry about anti tank mines. They are hard enough to see in a tank let alone from a far 3D person cam on horseback.

Just keep nerfing the cavarly class; it's fine. Totally *ing fine.
  • DukeSan27
    1297 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hello, I am an avid Cavalry user and have nearly 7000 kills with the horse. Today I was playing the DLC and got killed by an anti-tank mine. In my many hours of experience riding the horse, I can say with some confidence that this has never happened to me before. But I thought it might have been a bug or something - someone might have shot the things and made them blow up? I don't know. So next round I come across some spotted anti-tank mines by chance and decide to put it to the test. Rode over them - no enemies nearby - and sure enough, they blow up.

I am curious as to whether this is a feature that has been in the game forever that I have by some miracle not been aware of, or this has slipped under the radar for me and been put in the game recently?

Out of curiosity I read that anti-tanks mines blow up with weight of 100kg plus. So, yes, you and your horse are more than 100, and should blow up. It must be a new fix.

• Rev0verDrive
    6761 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    crabman169 wrote: »
    Wow.

GG Dice. Rather then introduce caltrops we have to worry about anti tank mines. They are hard enough to see in a tank let alone from a far 3D person cam on horseback.

Caltrops wouldn't be effective enough.
  • crabman169
    12848 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Wow.

Caltrops wouldn't be effective enough.

Yeah they would; it'd cripple your horse and fling you from the saddle if you were lucky.

Could introduce a 'tumble' mechanic where your horse is killed but the rider is 'dismounted' for 50-25-10 damage (depending on speed)

I dunno but the anti tank mines being set off by a horse is really unfair. It's not like we have the entire game working against us or anything. Unless we can detonate them with one shot from horseback it's a completely stupid nerf of cavalry
  • Rev0verDrive
    6761 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Mines are pretty big and visible. They're actually bigger than BF4 AT mines and slams. Don't see issues with quads and bikes going past them.
  • GhostseaI
    1430 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 2017
    *Deleted*
    Post edited by GhostseaI on
  • bob-the-acman
    16 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I have searched the forums and have seen a couple of threads that have requested this feature to be added to the game, so I can assume it has not always been in the game. I can't recall this ever being announced in patch notes. If I'm wrong, please someone correct me.

As for whether this feature should be in the game? I don't think so. I've noticed there is a lot of hate for the cavalry class, however I believe it is balanced as it was. There was no need to change it except, I believe, to fix the sound issues. I think it is very unfair and broken that horses galloping make next to no noise and that it should definitely get fixed. As for the other issues, the sword no longer kills people from far away and horses have and always will be completely destroyed/ avoided by any good player and tanks / rocket guns can OHK them. It is next to impossible to see AT mines from the third-person view on a horse. At least in a tank you can spot them quite easily if you're looking out for them.

I think adding this feature is completely unnecessary and I don't know why Dice has implemented it so secretly.
  • kekcroc
    786 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited March 2017
    ay yo bruh why is muh horse not exempt from being hurt by this specific piece of weaponry
    horses weigh quite a bit, i'd expect them to set off mines when they trot over them.

not sure what these guys are saying about silent horses though, i can hear those things an entire neighborhood away with War Tapes on
  • Aragon0107
    38 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    This topic should be pinned, it's great news. Out of curiosity, does one mine suffice? Or are several required, as for tanks. And will the horse die too or only the rider?
  • bob-the-acman
    Aragon0107 wrote: »
    This topic should be pinned, it's great news. Out of curiosity, does one mine suffice? Or are several required, as for tanks. And will the horse die too or only the rider?

The first time it happened I wasn't sure. But the second time, there was definitely more than one mine, 2-3 close together. And it took me two attempts to set them off, think the horses hoof has to land directly on the mine. I wish I had the foresight to record it.

Wish we could have an official word from Dice. Or someone could put it to the test with a friend.
  • ArmordSaint001
    133 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Now if the cavalryman would revert to the class he was when he dismounts the horse rather than being a T100 the class would be fixed.

Either that or I want a tank canon To carry around when I exit a tank.
  • aseveredfoot
    2467 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    This makes me chuckle. I thought maybe someone laid the mine and shot it when you ran over it, but wouldn't the kill be credited to whatever they used to blow up the mine?

I'm glad they did that though, warhorses are hefty and would probably set off vehicle mines. Plus cavalry troops had way too many advantages before, imo
  • lh20122012
    1830 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I mean the texturing barely loads properly at the speed the horse moves but I'm sure invisible ******* land mines will be fine.

Still won't be enough to put me off of scattering infantry like mice.
  • BGHFlakjacket
    1286 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I use mines alot. Occasionally I kill horses with them. It is a really rare occurrence. Frankly, Cavalry is OP. Tanks are easier to take out.
  • aseveredfoot
    2467 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I use mines alot. Occasionally I kill horses with them. It is a really rare occurrence. Frankly, Cavalry is OP. Tanks are easier to take out.

I agree. But I find I rarely have cavalry problems, running support with a Lewis gun is pretty good anti-horse kit. 50 round overheat and you can keep continuous fire on them until they're down, and you can see the bad cavalry players start to panic when you do it too, which is fun.
  • lh20122012
    1830 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

I agree. But I find I rarely have cavalry problems, running support with a Lewis gun is pretty good anti-horse kit. 50 round overheat and you can keep continuous fire on them until they're down, and you can see the bad cavalry players start to panic when you do it too, which is fun.

Yep. The lmgs are the next worst thing for cavalry after at rockets. Hard to escape their ridiculous range and continuously fire even at the horses speed.