In the Battlefield 1 Incursions Closed Alpha? If you're unable to see the forums, log out and log back in.
Having trouble accessing the forums? Try logging out of the forums completely - clear cache, cookies, and temp files - then restart the browser and log in. Thanks!

The current community is tragic

Das_reboot1918
319 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
edited March 18
Friday night battlefield back in BF2 days:
Most people on mics, having a laugh and a beer while playing. A bloody good time and a great way to make new bf mates. Fun times
Friday night now: Not one person in 3 servers using comms. Total silence. Boring as hell. Just randoms al doing there own silent thing. Devoid of life.
The camaraderie was why I loved this game. It has all gone.
The reason player counts are dropping like a stone is this. The community has become introverted and zero fun.

Comments

• SmileAsTheyDie
    393 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    This applies to basically any online game where active teamwork and call outs aren't practically required to win
  • Das_reboot1918
    319 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    What games are people still communicating in? It's the in game comms in multiplayer gaming that is the biggest draw card for me. Without it I'm not interested.

Any ideas ?
  • sg2434
    3820 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    What games are people still communicating in? It's the in game comms in multiplayer gaming that is the biggest draw card for me. Without it I'm not interested.

Any ideas ?

Ghost recon wildlands is an absolutely amazing candidate, right @crabman169 ?
  • Syzzix
    3638 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Everyone I find in voice chat makes it well known they are a trump supporter.
    I turned VOIP off after I convinced a guy to admit that he hated black people.

Yeah no, VOIP is a toxic cesspool. Always has been, always will be.
  • Alvonator
    374 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I always mute people when they have their mics on, simply because they play their crappy heavy metal or rap music in the background as if it was a concert....Like no, GTFO.

Otherwise, I would not mind communicating with any player that would focus on objectives.
  • crabman169
    9933 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    sg2434 wrote: »

Any ideas ?

Ghost recon wildlands is an absolutely amazing candidate, right @crabman169 ?

Oh yeah Wildlands is critical for communication if you want to maintain perfect stealth and such also when it would be a good idea to parachute :D
  • BenzenForReal
    434 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited March 18
    I believe that the problem aint there, while I totally agree with you.

The problem in BF1 is quite simple : Clan or private servers are damn hard to find. On browser, the first 100 servers popping are EA/Dices.
    So, when you play, you pretty much always play with guys you never saw, never knew, never cared, never had a blast with...You get my point.

On previous BFs, Clan/Private servers were popping first on browser, so if you were like me, you had a favorite list of servers, always filled with 80% familiar faces, regulars, admins...

On BF1, playing on EA/Dice servers with random pubbers removes the love/hate/competition aspect you developped over time with server regulars.
    I filled my buddy list with players I met on previous BFs, on clan servers. On BF1, damn harder since, when round ends, you probably will never see these guys again.

Sorry for the long read, but I just want to add : There are alot of clan servers on BF1, but damn...You have to either ''already know'' about em or you have to narrow your browsing search. All that only to find half empty clan servers, filled with dedicated guys from that said clan.

Sad they screwed the social aspect, atleast I can tell I am old enough to have experienced what you mentionned, OP.

• Das_reboot1918
    edited March 18
    Yeah cheers . It is the best thing about gaming and it's dead. Players these days have no idea how fun it can be with a working , talking squad.

But people are wrong saying you need to find familiar people. I started playing bf2 and knew nobody . It was always pub rands with mics that made the game awesome . The pub playerbase now are introverted and solo oriented .

I just can't play with nobody communicating .
  • JediScum81
    1424 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Yeah I'm always in a party with friends while I'm playing. Though last night I had 2 Polish guys in my squad just having a crazy yack with each other, was like a wall of talk... Had to move squad... Couldn't think straight lol. Then the next squad I went to one guys mic was playing up and it kept humming real loud!
  • Loqtrall
    8091 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    You also have to remember that back in the days of BF2, it was a PC-only title, and it required some pretty high end specs (in those days, of course, the 2005 era) to run smoothly on higher settings - so most of the people playing the game (like nowadays) were guys that had machines powerful enough to run the game, and online gaming was not THAT much of a rave thing like it is in present times.

So guys who had gaming PCs like that and that regularly played online games back then more than likely used mics. I know back in the day I used to play in a clan server with a (clearly stacked) team of 10-15 guys all in TeamSpeak, we all had mics.

Nowadays - people are playing Battlefield on consoles, which feature built-in party chat that most players use, and features a more volatile, less skilled (in general) playerbase that tends to keep quiet during the match, and when they're not quiet they're doing less team-oriented communication, and more yelling at dying and calling the enemy's mom a bunch of names.

Back in 2005 it was an entirely different thing altogether. At that point EVERYONE playing Battlefield 2 were people that had PCs powerful enough to run it - nowadays little Johnny can get his mom to buy him BF for his Xbox, and he's more likely to shoot at his teammates in Normal than he is to give out crucial information over voice chat.
  • dbibby1988
    346 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I only use a headset when Im gaming with friends. Usually I hear some guy talking to his girlfriend or a kid crying in the background (ps4 player).
  • VictorLima141
    450 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    BF1 everyone just cares about K/D, humping hills, etc. Its just the modern day gaming community in general, but these people all gravitate towards FPS, especially casual ones like BF1 and COD.
  • TemujinKhan1162
    38 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    id like talk to my squad, but i usually get met with silence. They all have their mics plugged in but they don't want to talk. This game would be way better if teams communicated.
  • Das_reboot1918
    edited March 18
    Like is said . It's the players . They'll never know true multiplayer gaming joy.

Same here mate. The ones you can occasionally hear keyboard click but refuse to utter a word . Not even to say "not interested in talking mate". Who are these inbreds?

I truly believe this is why bf games die far quicker than bf2 longevity , amongst other reasons . It's just boring playing without comms. Might as well play single player .
  • dcs500
    537 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    After the r'tarded **** I heard in the BF3/CoD days I never felt the need to use a mic again. I would only use one if I was in a regular squad/clan.
  • Das_reboot1918
    edited March 18
    That sad . I've never heard squeakers etc. just mite them . The game is a shadow of its former self as it is with no voice comms .

Having said that dice did all they could to bring then Cod crowd over . It's probably going to be the death of bf because of it.
  • disposalist
    5067 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I've commented on this a few times, since it pervades so many issues for BF.

I'm on Discord with a group of RL friends on a Friday night (check out my YouTube stream from last night hehe). It's the best fun to be had in BF.

I do not want, however, to hear some random 12-year-olds squealing or their family members shouting and their music in the background (it's barely tolerable with my friend's kid playing, but it's different when you can tell them to calm down and they will, rather than hurl childish abuse).

Have you seen the text chat? And that's the ones that go to the effort of typing. I'm glad voice is not common. It's the first thing I turn off, sorry.

In 'the old days' the only people playing (on PCs anyway) were adults and/or proper geeky fans due to many factors including cost and effort. It was real hobbyists and like-minded people, so, sure, random voice chat could/would have been good.

I'm comfortable in suggesting the level of online decorum has dropped considerably because we now have a much wider cross-section of society playing. Anyone can get online these days, no matter the level of maturity or intelligence.

It's down to same reason people seem to think it's ok to put abuse and pics of their genitalia online. Probably the same people.

I had amaaaazing times in Everquest (1) back on dial-up. Slower game so text chat was ok and verbose. Even geekier, grown-up crowd so always like-minded and nice, reasonable people. Comms in World of Warcraft? *shudder* Hideous, just a few years later.

I'm hoping eventually people will come to understand that it's not ok to behave differently online, but currently there are no consequences.

I'm guilty too - the anonymity does change things. I occasionally 'forcefully cajole' people in game to try and get frustrating games moving or frustrating people to behave, but I wouldn't shout at a bunch of strangers in real life. I try and behave and I'm aware it's wrong not to. Many others have no such comprehension or restraint.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!