Having trouble accessing the forums? Try logging out of the forums completely - clear cache, cookies, and temp files - then restart the browser and log in. Thanks!

There patching the Frontlines timer :(

ChickNFoot
1454 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
edited March 20
I've read on the CTE patch notes that there adding the timer into Frontlines and looking into making it a option in a custom game.

Please DICE don't do this please. Adding a infinite timer in custom will never happen under the RSP due to step backwards the system brought.
Amazing hour to 3 hour long matches go on in this game mode and despite it other then being a rush conquest/operation hybrid this makes the gamemode unique.

With this imagine fighting for 20 minutes back and forth just to have the timer run out cause the enemy made a foothold at the last second.

Please I beg of you don't patch this. If you must make a timer into RSP but don't touch official servers.

Upvotes to show support would be appreciated.

Comments

• kaliyl777
    872 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    No timer! Just make it optional or something. What is more realistic than fighting for hours, which is more like real warfare.
  • trip1ex
    481 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    i have had a few matches already where the enemy team took out one of the mcoms or whatever they are and then we pushed all the way back and won.

But most of the matches that go on for awhile are because neither team really tries to advance. You defend a flag and fail to try for the next flag so enemy gets a freebie and then they just sit there and you get a freebie flag. I've been stuck in that loop quite a few times. Where it seems pointless.

And even if teams are trying hard it tends to get repetitive going back and forth too much. So a timer is good overall. You can always say what if this happens or that happens.

But you can say that about no timer as well. What if a match goes on for 2 hours and doesn't get anywhere.
  • Troopperfofo
    222 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I am really saddened by the fact they are adding a timer. This game mode felt extremely unique having an almost endless match. You would think attacking and defending the same point or points over and over never making an real progress would be extremely boring but something about it is extremely fun. I guess maybe its the thought of Ok this time we got them.

I guess it was fun while it lasted.
  • BaconRebellion
    469 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Good, there was supposed to be a 40 minute timer on the mode originally. Maybe I'm crazy but I dont care to play an entire round for 2-3+ hours.
  • lh20122012
    1422 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    They was supposed to be a 45 minute time limit at release. Expecting pub server players to stay in a match for an hour is probably expecting too much.
  • anzac1915
    261 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Off Topic: OP, sorry, but you are wasting your time typing that on these forums, DICE do not look at or read threads on these forums, unfortunately, despite what they or anyone else says, there is no proof that they do. It is best to let them know on Facebook or Twitter, at least on those social media platforms, DICE may look and read your concern.

On Topic: I agree with you OP. I have only played Frontlines once (not from the start, though) and it was grouse, with the unlimited timer, made it more intense, in my opinionI just wish for a 64 player option for Frontlines with 6 capturable flags and 4 Telegraphs to destroy (Double the amount of Flags and Telegraphs of the 32 player version) at the end.

• onehitwondah
    6 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    What about a "sudden death" type of scenario at the end of the 45 minutes? Where both sides mcom stations are up for grabs. Lasts about 5 minutes or so.
  • Rasgyn_PS
    193 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I was kin dof hoping for a flagcap limit, like 10-15. Or a timelimit like now, i do enter matches where people dont try, even left one after awhile. There should be some pressure, but how? I suppose this is it. But in general i do agree with OP, alot of matches are decided in the last 15 min, sometimes i have these matches with 1 team destroying an mcom, and the other seems to be in a panick and rushes/stomps its way all the way to the end and destroys those 2 in one go. But 45 mins (as i heard it) isnt that bad, except that my matches are usually 50-70 min, which is the good part lol. Overall i agree there should be some mechanical pressure.
  • disposalist
    2544 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I don't often disagree with the crabman, but I want a timer.

I found that if it goes to an hour people are quitting left-right-and-center and people even 'give up' and camp and lose.

There needs to be a 60 minute (which is still a long time!) limit where the win is who took most flags (not kills).

Had a 3 hour match (I was NOT giving up a 1.75x bonus considering I had 2x boost for most of the match and it was 2x event and I had finished an Elite Codex! I think I got well over 100,000XP - can't remember) after the first hour it was just comical the behaviours emerging in other players. After the second hour it was no longer funny...

The other issue is, sometimes the long game is not down to having two equally good sides, it's down to having two equally bad sides. Camping. Sniping. Going back-and-forth over-and-over on the center flags. Those games are *painful* - wouldn't want those to go on...

Splitting the standard servers into two type would split the community, no? I'd be happy for RSP machines to have the option, but can't imagine you'd get them full.
  • REKT_Prophet
    1613 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    "They're"
  • jdbelcher1998
    252 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

I found that if it goes to an hour people are quitting left-right-and-center and people even 'give up' and camp and lose.

There needs to be a 60 minute (which is still a long time!) limit where the win is who took most flags (not kills).

Had a 3 hour match (I was NOT giving up a 1.75x bonus considering I had 2x boost for most of the match and it was 2x event and I had finished an Elite Codex! I think I got well over 100,000XP - can't remember) after the first hour it was just comical the behaviours emerging in other players. After the second hour it was no longer funny...

The other issue is, sometimes the long game is not down to having two equally good sides, it's down to having two equally bad sides. Camping. Sniping. Going back-and-forth over-and-over on the center flags. Those games are *painful* - wouldn't want those to go on...

Splitting the standard servers into two type would split the community, no? I'd be happy for RSP machines to have the option, but can't imagine you'd get them full.

I completely agree. I also agree with @crabman169 's idea to make two quickmatch slots with server options for timer and no timer. Having it be a custom option would be fine so long as the server browser and RSP are (or will be) functioning properly.
  • BaconRebellion
    469 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

I'll be honest I'll leave the game if it goes past an hour because at that point is the match really going anywhere? Usually by that point the game has turned into we cap B they cap C we cap B they cap C etc. and it turns into a kill farm fest.

I think a timer will put pressure on both sides to actually go after the objectives and play to win. I think it'll also weed out those who just want to farm kills on this game mode
  • HCAR_HCAR_HCAR
    99 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Some people have things to do besides playing a single match for 3 hours.
  • Creasie
    978 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited March 21
    ChickNFoot wrote: »
    'Amazing' hour to 3 hour long campfest go on in this game mode and despite it other then being a rush conquest/operation hybrid this makes the gamemode unique.

Fixed that for you, because that's what happens when these games last this long. It's just two teams camping instead of playing the objective.

A timer would be welcome. I am not against long matches, it's fun, but there needs to be incentive to attack instead of sitting back and farming kills. It's not fun for people who actually want to win to be teamed up with 10 campers who don't care. I rather lose in 30 minutes than win through a painful match in 60 minutes.

Several times I had matches that lasted around an hour where we would just go back and forth over and over and I didn't feel like trying to win anymore and I just wanted it to be over already, that's just bad.

• Creasie
    978 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited March 21
    trip1ex wrote: »
    i have had a few matches already where the enemy team took out one of the mcoms or whatever they are and then we pushed all the way back and won.

Had that happen two times now. Both lasted long and it probably only happened because people got fed up with it and either stopped caring or left and got replaced.
    One of those we had probably between 7 and 10 attempts to destroy the last objective but constantly got stopped by the endless respawns and explosives. Then all of a sudden they capped everything in one sweep and won. Clearly something changed, most likely people just got sick of it.
  • VonReisler
    320 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    If Frontlines had less vehicle spawns and 48 players you probably wouldn't be talking about timers.
    IMO, with 16 players a side there's not enough numbers to have any effective defense and so it's just too easy for the enemy when pressed to get behind you.
    i tried it but ... no thanks
  • Private_UMPalot
    2344 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I disarmed the last bomb five times on Fort, couldn't be bothered doing it a sixth. They earned the damn victory man.
  • crabman169
    5752 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Seeing a lot of posts about the match turning into camp fests.

Clearly we must be playing different games as I'm literally seeing more ptfo orientated gameplay, tactics and teamwork then in all battlefields combined. It has even beaten out War Pigeons.

@disposalist
    Hence I put forward spliting the current offical Frontlines servers into timed and unlimited. I can understand some would prefer a timer but I love that there is no timer currently (and back in beta when they adjusted it to count up not down)

Timers on game modes just feel restrictive and are a massive pain in the neck when it cuts short an epic match/engagement/kill etc. nothing more frustrating then sneaking up and flanking a squad only for the timer to run out just before you take the first tag.

Also may have to do with my experiance with timed missions etc on singleplayer games. Quality rage right there
  • Private_UMPalot
    2344 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I have played Frontlines since release, and the ptfo is off the gauge. You do get the odd team kill farming over objective play, and the odd tank sniping. But on the whole, it has the most upfront action I've ever seen.