Having trouble accessing the forums? Try logging out of the forums completely - clear cache, cookies, and temp files - then restart the browser and log in. Thanks!

is grenade spam really a bad thing?

mistaviks2
218 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
I was watching a level cap video where he saying grenade spam is bad. Personally I enjoy the grenades. I remember yesterday I was playing operations and everyone was throwing grenades and I was literally giggling at all the chaos and was having a good time.

Towards the end of bf4 I only really played locker as it was so loud and alive and just an all out brawl.

I think people who say things like it is the will of the whole community are a bit deluded. Different people find fun in different things.

Comments

• JohnMatrix666
    943 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    No. It's actually worse.
  • trip1ex
    791 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    some people like brain dead activities. Others don't. You are correct.
  • mistaviks2
    218 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    trip1ex wrote: »

But why does having fun HAVE to be through some skillfull endeavour? Sometimes it can be fun to sit and watch a film or go for a drive or something.
  • smart2705
    1400 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited March 21
    mistaviks2 wrote: »
    I think people who say things like it is the will of the whole community are a bit deluded. Different people find fun in different things.

Traditionally battlefield players don't like passive weapons, gadgets and passive game style as a whole. They would cherish skill and active teamplay.
    That was pretty much what was differentiating them from players of other shooters like CoD etc. So up until now yes, it was pretty easy to talk about the community as a whole.

Up until now I say because with Dice casualizing the game in their attempt to steal fans from those other fps franchises the community seems to have changed quiet a bit.
  • bran1986
    1510 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Grenades don't bother me to be honest.
  • badsitrep
    453 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    smart2705 wrote: »

Traditionally battlefield players don't like passive weapons, gadgets and passive game style as a whole. They would cherish skill and active teamplay.
    That was pretty much what was differentiating them from players of other shooters like CoD etc. So up until now yes, it was pretty easy to talk about the community as a whole.

Up until now I say because with Dice casualizing the game in their attempt to steal fans from those other fps franchises the community seems to have changed quiet a bit.

6e9a6a673710b0d8411db4c81937e2a3.jpg

Got my hat ready.
  • SF_VindictiV
    464 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    badsitrep wrote: »

Got my hat ready.

What he said is true, though... Guns don't have recoil patterns anymore, sniper rifles had way worst bullet drop and no sweet spot, vehicles could not self-repair, number of grenade/explosive kills are WAYYYYY above what they were in previous titles just to name a few. I count that as "casualisation".
  • smart2705
    1400 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Got my hat ready.

Your brain is obviously fried already. Hat won't save you!
  • badsitrep
    453 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Got my hat ready.

What he said is true, though... Guns don't have recoil patterns anymore, sniper rifles had way worst bullet drop and no sweet spot, vehicles could not self-repair, number of grenade/explosive kills are WAYYYYY above what they were in previous titles just to name a few. I count that as "casualisation".

What guns are you using? With tap-firing nonexistent and spread decrease rate made variable across the weapons, I'd say the gunplay has gotten less casual. Now you have use each weapon for their intended roles, adjust to their own individual spread behavior, and can't just turn everything into a laserbeam via a tap-firing macro.

The sniper rifles have the same drop as before. Their bullet speed is just higher. And since when has encouraging proper positioning and discouraging leet long range shooting been labelled casual? I'd rather have my scouts close to the action because their optimal range is closer to me than have them sit on a roof or hill at spawn.

Self-repair was put in to prevent vehicle theft when you had to exit a vehicle to repair. It is also there to encourage people to stay in their vehicles and not use the vehicles as expendable taxis. The vehicles are still vulnerable while self-repairing.

Now the grenade spam and bayonet charge do reduce the skill gap.
  • GhostBeach
    14 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Got my hat ready.

What guns are you using? With tap-firing nonexistent and spread decrease rate made variable across the weapons, I'd say the gunplay has gotten less casual. Now you have use each weapon for their intended roles, adjust to their own individual spread behavior, and can't just turn everything into a laserbeam via a tap-firing macro.

The sniper rifles have the same drop as before. Their bullet speed is just higher. And since when has encouraging proper positioning and discouraging leet long range shooting been labelled casual? I'd rather have my scouts close to the action because their optimal range is closer to me than have them sit on a roof or hill at spawn.

Self-repair was put in to prevent vehicle theft when you had to exit a vehicle to repair. It is also there to encourage people to stay in their vehicles and not use the vehicles as expendable taxis. The vehicles are still vulnerable while self-repairing.

This. All of this.
  • ProAssassin2003
    878 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Think of the worse spam ever on Battlefield. The grenade Spam is worse then that.
  • SF_VindictiV
    464 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Got my hat ready.

"What guns are you using? With tap-firing nonexistent and spread decrease rate made variable across the weapons, I'd say the gunplay has gotten less casual. Now you have use each weapon for their intended roles, adjust to their own individual spread behavior, and can't just turn everything into a laserbeam via a tap-firing macro."

Knowing how to tapfire (each weapon had a certain amount of shots you could do to minimize the spread and recoil while maximizing the ROF) is a good form of skill to have in a shooter. On the other hand, now we have hipfire SMGs sniper rifles (hyperbole) that are more accurate over longer range than SMGs in previous BF games (talking only about the hipfire). Also, we now have LMGs that reward spraying over burst firing. If you did not know the proper tap fire rhythm, weapons such as the PKP pecheneg in bf4 would suck balls. They would only shine once you learned their recoil pattern and tap fire rhythm. Now it's "spray until you reach maximum accuracy" voilà. Macros have nothing to do with the game. You can't say the game required no skill because cheaters used scripts, makes no sense.

"The sniper rifles have the same drop as before. Their bullet speed is just higher. And since when has encouraging proper positioning and discouraging leet long range shooting been labelled casual? I'd rather have my scouts close to the action because their optimal range is closer to me than have them sit on a roof or hill at spawn."

Doesn't change the fact that using sniper rifles is way easier than it used to be. Also, less drop and sweet spot DO encourage hillhumping far in the distance because:
    (1) shots are easier to do (thx to having to compensate less for gravity) and
    (2)favor "camping" even more in fact if you want to keep the action/movement of enemies in your sweet spot range.

"Self-repair was put in to prevent vehicle theft when you had to exit a vehicle to repair."
    "Absent Self-repair was forcing vehicles to be used in conjunction with teamwork " you mean. You needed a buddy to repair you. No instant get out of jail card self-heal and repair-tracks like we have now.

"It is also there to encourage people to stay in their vehicles and not use the vehicles as expendable taxis. The vehicles are still vulnerable while self-repairing."
    It also encourages "campers" that remain on map boundaries and spam shells only to stat pad their KD. Also, tanks are now non "one-shottable" unlike in previous titles where everybody used mines or C4 that could one-shot your tank or at least damage it incredibly hard without the driver being capable of reacting to it (therefore, it was possible to ambush camping tanks). In bf1, tanks became way harder to kill (eyes on all sides at once), take teamwork/coordination to take out while also taking longer to destroy while also being WAYYY harder to sneak up on. There's also barely any threat from the air now (no helis, non-assault gadgets tickle them and bombers are easy targets for the harassment of the figher planes). All in all, tankers have it easier than previous titles.

In résumé, beside making tanks harder to kill, everything else is easier than previous titles, which is the point of the OP.
  • trip1ex
    791 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited March 21
    trip1ex wrote: »

But why does having fun HAVE to be through some skillfull endeavour? Sometimes it can be fun to sit and watch a film or go for a drive or something.

I was agreeing with you that some people enjoy brain dead activities like spamming the nade key and watching their computer screen light up. And that's enough for them.

Others need more stimulation.

They should find a way to separate the ones that just want to blow stuff up from the ones that want to play the objective. That way both groups can have fun.
  • HardAimedKid
    7137 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I don't mind grenade spam, unless it's a medic shooting those rocket noobtubes at me. Makes things feel more intense and fun, obviously plenty have complained see "super grenade fix mission we make things harder than we have to 2.0"
  • Private_UMPalot
    3026 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Get rid of it and the continuous screen shake goes with it.
  • quangoo_3000
    306 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Ive noticed the grenade spam is slightly less prevalent in open areas, and I die less to rogue grenades, but in enclosed areas its bad as ever.
  • Bossman1794
    776 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I've always felt that the CQB maps have always been the most fun to play.

Locker, Metro, Bank Job, etc.
    I feel like people naturally gravitate to the maps that turn into a right cluster anyway.

Personally I feel that the grenade spam issue is way overblown and is only a problem in a select few instances on a select few maps
  • bran1986
    1510 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited March 21
    I've always felt that the CQB maps have always been the most fun to play.

Locker, Metro, Bank Job, etc.
    I feel like people naturally gravitate to the maps that turn into a right cluster anyway.

Personally I feel that the grenade spam issue is way overblown and is only a problem in a select few instances on a select few maps

It got overblown because a bunch of youtubers whined and then they made videos of them whining about grenades. Then their mindless drones started whining about grenades and here we are.
  • Austacker
    207 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited March 21
    is grenade spam really a bad thing?

If the goal is to keep lowering the skill gap to cater for casuals, then sure, it's great.

No one I know that plays feels like they were 'out played' by random grenade spam.

It satisfies the needs of the playerbase who struggle to perform with more skilled players, it drives players devoting their gametime to getting better away from the game.

If you want to see the net effect of lowering the skill gap has on a franchise like this, come back to it in another 12 months if this trend is not addressed immediately.

There's a reason why the player participation rate in Battlefield 1 is already dropping sharply and gamers are heading back to Battlefield 4.

Battlefield 1 is a beautiful vacuum. It's get fantastic visuals and some of the most shallow gameplay ever seen in a Battlefield game.