Battlefield: Korea

«1
Zozeberry
205 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
edited April 2017
Yeah this is way, way to early to make a post like this, loving BF1 but speculation of where the franchise will go next in two years has got me thinking.
Battlefield Korea is the best bet for a new setting, it's untapped, never been done before. It'd be NATO (Britain, Commonwealth and United States) Vs China, North Korea maybe even the USSR.. the best part is there would be a mix of classic WW2 weaponry, uniforms etc (The U.S and British Armies that went into Korea, where unchanged from WW2) mixed in with modern weaponry such as the early versions of the AK, M14, FAL,G3 etc. Vehicles would include early helicopters, early jet fighter aircraft as well as post war and WW2 fighter planes, WW2 Tanks and post war tanks like the Soviet T55, and the American Patton M48... Lots of room there for DICE to work with, they'll have way more creative freedom than they did with BF1. Anyone else think so?

Comments

  • Rasgyn_PS
    325 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Seeing as the Korean situation is still going on, and still every few years our great leaders talk about a new war/measures in defense of humanity, it will never be approved. It would be nice though to walk around in korean inspired maps. I mean CoD got to make a futuristic level in a game, but an entire bf game? idk lol
  • Sawtooth75
    906 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Since this is not directly related to Battlefield 1 I moved this thread to the Off-topic section.
  • Ckrupitzer
    58 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I like this idea. I really just want to see Battlefield take more chances and explore some conflicts that haven't been before. Bf1 was a step in the right direction in that respect and it's paid off so far.
  • 68Keif
    4628 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I want bf:civil war
  • Sonic5745
    417 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    MrUpvote wrote: »
    I want bf:civil war
    Assuming you mean the US Civil War, I do wonder if this would actually work for a BF title.

    Most vehicles would probably be horses (and buggies), trains, and ironclad ships and other naval ships. Maybe hot air balloons too?

    Weapons would be much more severely lacking than in BF1. We would have edged weapons, handguns, and rifles. Knowing the way BF1 works, I'm sure DICE would also use weapon prototypes or things used late in the war. Early grenades and mines, Gatling machine gun, repeating rifles, etc.

    But still, despite the lack of weapons and vehicles that we would expect from a BF game (like SMGs, tanks, or planes or helicopters), I wonder how a game like this would work out as a BF game. Might be worth a shot, and might be the oldest war that DICE ever decides to feature in BF if it is ever done.

    Lastly, feel free to correct me or add anything I missed. I kind of typed this in a hurry. :#

  • 68Keif
    4628 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Sonic5745 wrote: »
    MrUpvote wrote: »
    I want bf:civil war
    Assuming you mean the US Civil War, I do wonder if this would actually work for a BF title.

    Most vehicles would probably be horses (and buggies), trains, and ironclad ships and other naval ships. Maybe hot air balloons too?

    Weapons would be much more severely lacking than in BF1. We would have edged weapons, handguns, and rifles. Knowing the way BF1 works, I'm sure DICE would also use weapon prototypes or things used late in the war. Early grenades and mines, Gatling machine gun, repeating rifles, etc.

    But still, despite the lack of weapons and vehicles that we would expect from a BF game (like SMGs, tanks, or planes or helicopters), I wonder how a game like this would work out as a BF game. Might be worth a shot, and might be the oldest war that DICE ever decides to feature in BF if it is ever done.

    Lastly, feel free to correct me or add anything I missed. I kind of typed this in a hurry. :#

    I'm not into customization and 100 different weapons. I just want to see a game like that. I think it would be fun despite the lack of weapon variation. Also, people would have really have a reason to complain about weapon balance. Lol
  • Rasgyn_PS
    325 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Well games so far have been covering what i call "safe wars". With that i mean that those are conflicts with clear definitions and where the world has accepted it happening and outcome to a certain extend. Its all a bit finnicky(if thats a word lol) in the world because alot of past wars still linger in peoples minds. The koreans are still in a difficult situation, a few years back there was a newsitem where they said that there are still areas the size of provinces where people(farmers) in vietnam believe they have an enemy and that it could come at any time, the middle east ... well yea look at the news right now...

    From my perspective, europe/dutch, it would seem to be ok to go into the proxywars during the cold war or something. Or maybe the beginning of the anti terrorist operations which where handled by what we now call special operational forces. Or kolonial independance wars, the dutch and indonesians have stated that there would be room for a thorough investigation of what happened back then, since the war has ended a long time for us as a people, and there have been many anyway. Even though the French were horrible during that dekolonisation period, people nowadays dont seem to care, and even seem to be very open about it. Thats seems to be like they are more open about it for a videogame format.

    There are so many events that were not covered in a game, and are either pretty important to mention or rather adventurous lol. I do think DICE should keep it in the modern era. A battlefield game with out land/air/sea options sounds like it just lost its meaning. But i think that most developers use safe wars to not get into the problems that come with the licensing or even social consequenses(lawsuits by individual groups for example) that could arise.
  • Sonic5745
    417 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    MrUpvote wrote: »
    Sonic5745 wrote: »
    MrUpvote wrote: »
    I want bf:civil war
    Assuming you mean the US Civil War, I do wonder if this would actually work for a BF title.

    Most vehicles would probably be horses (and buggies), trains, and ironclad ships and other naval ships. Maybe hot air balloons too?

    Weapons would be much more severely lacking than in BF1. We would have edged weapons, handguns, and rifles. Knowing the way BF1 works, I'm sure DICE would also use weapon prototypes or things used late in the war. Early grenades and mines, Gatling machine gun, repeating rifles, etc.

    But still, despite the lack of weapons and vehicles that we would expect from a BF game (like SMGs, tanks, or planes or helicopters), I wonder how a game like this would work out as a BF game. Might be worth a shot, and might be the oldest war that DICE ever decides to feature in BF if it is ever done.

    Lastly, feel free to correct me or add anything I missed. I kind of typed this in a hurry. :#

    I'm not into customization and 100 different weapons. I just want to see a game like that. I think it would be fun despite the lack of weapon variation. Also, people would have really have a reason to complain about weapon balance. Lol
    I don't mind a lack of customization as long as the availability is based on the amount of customization available back in the time the game is based on. If that makes any sense.

    Basically, I'd expect more customization in more modern or futuristic BF games, and less in older war BF games (such as BF1).

    Also, there are two things that concern me with the US Civil War suggestion that I didn't mention:
    - A lot of people may not be happy with a game like this in the BF franchise as a full $60 game with the amount of vehicle and weapon content (surely we would have plenty of maps though). Would it be better as a smaller, digital-only BF game like with BF 1943?

    - How would DICE and the BF community handle having the CSA flag in the game? It wouldn't bother me since it would be used in a game that's supposed to be based off of a historical war.
  • Vespervin
    1175 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Sonic5745 wrote: »
    - How would DICE and the BF community handle having the CSA flag in the game? It wouldn't bother me since it would be used in a game that's supposed to be based off of a historical war.

    They'd chicken out and replace it with something else. This is the German flag we got with Battlefield 1942:

    TEKG1w5.png
  • RedLegionnaire80
    46 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Zozeberry wrote: »
    Yeah this is way, way to early to make a post like this, loving BF1 but speculation of where the franchise will go next in two years has got me thinking.
    Battlefield Korea is the best bet for a new setting, it's untapped, never been done before. It'd be NATO (Britain, Commonwealth and United States) Vs China, North Korea maybe even the USSR.. the best part is there would be a mix of classic WW2 weaponry, uniforms etc (The U.S and British Armies that went into Korea, where unchanged from WW2) mixed in with modern weaponry such as the early versions of the AK, M14, FAL,G3 etc. Vehicles would include early helicopters, early jet fighter aircraft as well as post war and WW2 fighter planes, WW2 Tanks and post war tanks like the Soviet T55, and the American Patton M48... Lots of room there for DICE to work with, they'll have way more creative freedom than they did with BF1. Anyone else think so?

    I own an entire US cold weather uniform and kit from the Korean War. Honestly, a Battlefield title in Korea would be absolutely awesome.
  • Toxic_CA
    693 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    How about a real life entry? Because agent orange is trying to do that
  • Zozeberry
    205 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Vespervin wrote: »
    Sonic5745 wrote: »
    - How would DICE and the BF community handle having the CSA flag in the game? It wouldn't bother me since it would be used in a game that's supposed to be based off of a historical war.

    They'd chicken out and replace it with something else. This is the German flag we got with Battlefield 1942:

    TEKG1w5.png

    That irritates me, it's not promoting racism to have the swastika in the game, it's being true to history.
  • Vespervin
    1175 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Zozeberry wrote: »
    Vespervin wrote: »
    Sonic5745 wrote: »
    - How would DICE and the BF community handle having the CSA flag in the game? It wouldn't bother me since it would be used in a game that's supposed to be based off of a historical war.

    They'd chicken out and replace it with something else. This is the German flag we got with Battlefield 1942:

    TEKG1w5.png

    That irritates me, it's not promoting racism to have the swastika in the game, it's being true to history.

    I agree. Someone will come in with the excuse that it's illegal for the swastika to be shown in certain countries, but I always counter that by saying that they can just re-skin the additions being sold in that market to accommodate their silly laws. Sure, it means a little bit more work for the developer and the publisher, but for those who live in countries that aren't afraid to show true history, it makes the experience so much better.

    After I say that they then usually start throwing around the R word... *roll eyes*
  • BrowneManStrikes
    1046 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited April 2017
    Zozeberry wrote: »
    Vespervin wrote: »
    Sonic5745 wrote: »
    - How would DICE and the BF community handle having the CSA flag in the game? It wouldn't bother me since it would be used in a game that's supposed to be based off of a historical war.

    They'd chicken out and replace it with something else. This is the German flag we got with Battlefield 1942:

    TEKG1w5.png

    That irritates me, it's not promoting racism to have the swastika in the game, it's being true to history.

    Would you be comfortable fighting under a Natsoc flag, however digital it may be? Because I wouldn't be, and I'm sure there are many others who agree.

    We're here for the history, not the politics, but unfortunately the history and politics are intricately intertwined. Thus, to ensure an enjoyable experience, measures must be taken to separate the two.

    The BF1942 flag is one such measure.
  • Vespervin
    1175 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited April 2017
    Zozeberry wrote: »
    Vespervin wrote: »
    Sonic5745 wrote: »
    - How would DICE and the BF community handle having the CSA flag in the game? It wouldn't bother me since it would be used in a game that's supposed to be based off of a historical war.

    They'd chicken out and replace it with something else. This is the German flag we got with Battlefield 1942:

    TEKG1w5.png

    That irritates me, it's not promoting racism to have the swastika in the game, it's being true to history.

    Would you be comfortable fighting under a Natsoc flag, however digital it may be? Because I wouldn't be, and I'm sure there are many others who agree.

    We're here for the history, not the politics, but unfortunately the history and politics are intricately intertwined. Thus, to ensure an enjoyable experience, measures must be taken to separate the two.

    The BF1942 flag is one such measure.

    The solution to that is simple. Many games in the past that have had excessive gore allowed the user to turn off the gore. In this case all they need to do is include an option to replace and/or remove all swastikas, Schutzstaffel symbols, etc. That way those who feel uncomfortable seeing such symbols don't have to see them and those who prefer a more authentic experience can. It's a simple reskin.

    With that idea above, in regions where such symbols are illegal, they can simply turn off the symbols by default and lock the option so it can not be changed by the player.
    Post edited by Vespervin on
  • liike_a_b0ss
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I think what would be really cool is if they released a Battlefield: Korea "Classic" that had the player fighting the 1950-53 Korean War (with period correct gear. equipment, and vehicles); then the next year an expansion/upgrade that allowed you to play a modern Korean War with modern stuff.
  • SourSteven_69
    122 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    MrUpvote wrote: »
    I want bf:civil war

    that's pretty disgusting imo
  • bapman63
    935 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Zozeberry wrote: »
    Yeah this is way, way to early to make a post like this, loving BF1 but speculation of where the franchise will go next in two years has got me thinking.
    Battlefield Korea is the best bet for a new setting, it's untapped, never been done before. It'd be NATO (Britain, Commonwealth and United States) Vs China, North Korea maybe even the USSR.. the best part is there would be a mix of classic WW2 weaponry, uniforms etc (The U.S and British Armies that went into Korea, where unchanged from WW2) mixed in with modern weaponry such as the early versions of the AK, M14, FAL,G3 etc. Vehicles would include early helicopters, early jet fighter aircraft as well as post war and WW2 fighter planes, WW2 Tanks and post war tanks like the Soviet T55, and the American Patton M48... Lots of room there for DICE to work with, they'll have way more creative freedom than they did with BF1. Anyone else think so?

    All though I would love to see a Korean game I don't think it will happen. EA wants those Chinese dollars so they won't jeopardize that.
  • Loqtrall
    11159 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Anyone else notice this thread is nearly a year old?
  • Vespervin
    1175 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    bapman63 wrote: »
    Zozeberry wrote: »
    Yeah this is way, way to early to make a post like this, loving BF1 but speculation of where the franchise will go next in two years has got me thinking.
    Battlefield Korea is the best bet for a new setting, it's untapped, never been done before. It'd be NATO (Britain, Commonwealth and United States) Vs China, North Korea maybe even the USSR.. the best part is there would be a mix of classic WW2 weaponry, uniforms etc (The U.S and British Armies that went into Korea, where unchanged from WW2) mixed in with modern weaponry such as the early versions of the AK, M14, FAL,G3 etc. Vehicles would include early helicopters, early jet fighter aircraft as well as post war and WW2 fighter planes, WW2 Tanks and post war tanks like the Soviet T55, and the American Patton M48... Lots of room there for DICE to work with, they'll have way more creative freedom than they did with BF1. Anyone else think so?

    All though I would love to see a Korean game I don't think it will happen. EA wants those Chinese dollars so they won't jeopardize that.

    That newest Red Dawn movie (terrible movie in my opinion) originally had the Chinese invade the US however they changed the ‘bad guys’ to North Korea in order to do better in the Chinese market. The same would work for a video game too.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!