4K HDR TV - opinions and recommendations

Goofy-The-Sc0t
1214 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
Hey guys, with the imminent arrival of the Xbox One X i've been thinking about buying a new TV to make the most of the HDR/4K content that will be available for it........ but there's so many brands and models to choose from lol. Just wondered if anyone here has recently purchased a new 4K TV and can provide any recommendations.

I'm UK based so obviously i'm looking for something that's readily available over here, also i am on a budget so not gonna be looking at OLEDs (would love one but the prices are crazy). It'll be used as a regular TV as well as a gaming TV (hence the reason i'm not looking at monitors) and i'd ideally be looking for something between 49" and 55" due to limited space and preferably as cheap as possible (could maybe stretch to £700 or so, possibly a tad more for the right one).

So........ any pointers/tips? Any i should definitely avoid?

Cheers, Goof.

Comments

• SupremeEpidemic
    412 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Only a suggestion...Look at TCL(brand). Pretty low response time(for a large screen TV) at approximately 8ms.
  • TEKNOCODE
    11616 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    This is an extremely helpful website for TVs. As a gamer, input lag is relevant (they cover it within the reviews).

http://www.rtings.com/tv
  • Goofy-The-Sc0t
    1214 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Thanks guys! TCL doesnt seem to have much availability over here in the UK unfortunately. Will have a good look at that website after work :)
  • SpeedBird219
    175 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I have a Samsung 55KS8000 which I bought last November. The "KS" in the model is different in Europe though I think. Simply put, a Samsung 55" 8-Series. It supports HDR for XB1-S and XB1X. Just look online for forums that describe how to enable it. It also has a game mode that reduces input lag to about 20ms. Loving it so far!
  • oof14346
    954 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
  • SupremeEpidemic
    412 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    GoofyMC123 wrote: »
    Thanks guys! TCL doesnt seem to have much availability over here in the UK unfortunately.
    Sorry to hear that, thus I have pretty good experience with my 55" and 65" Tcl Roku tvs. Unfortunately when purchasing my TCL 55" I didn't take advantage of the the HDR format, but only got 4k. With my purchase of the TCL 65" I did take advantage of the 4k HDR format. IMO BF1 looks fantastic with or without HDR, but still a slight noticeable difference. Good luck finding the tv that will suit your needs.
  • beetroot888
    768 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Hey guys im cheap and lazy. Any recommendations. I have reg Xbox 1. Is getting a 4k tv for around 500 bucks worth it? Obviously it will be small. 26-30 inch.
  • Goofy-The-Sc0t
    Hey guys im cheap and lazy. Any recommendations. I have reg Xbox 1. Is getting a 4k tv for around 500 bucks worth it? Obviously it will be small. 26-30 inch.

Gaming wise you probably wont see much difference from full HD to 4K on a standard XB1, i assume it will 'upscale' the resolution somewhat but without also buying the One X or even the One S you're not gonna see substantial benefits in terms of gaming over a regular full HD set.

Anyhow, after a lot of research i'm just about decided on this tv - https://www.johnlewis.com/lg-49sj800v-led-hdr-super-uhd-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-49-with-freeview-play-ultra-slim-design-harman-kardon-soundbar-stand-silver/p3215135

Anyone know of anything better for around the same money in the UK? 5 year guarantee inc.
  • beetroot888
    Goofy, thanx alot bro you saved me couple bucks
  • beetroot888
    Edit. Just checked and I have Xbox one s. Looks like it's 4k for me.