Sliding - yay or nay?

XDCFluffy
267 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
edited September 2017
Okay I may be in the minority on this one but I hate the sliding !

A, admittedly, small number of people seem to have it on a macro as they run-slide every time you see them. Thanks to the netcode/server lag it is very glitchy and quite a few times shots aren't registering on them.

So, good, bad do I just need to git gud or should DICE have fixed this on release?

Comments

• LOLGotYerTags
    14359 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    I slide around a fair bit, it's handy for throwing off a scouts aim.

I've also used it when knifing people as they generally can't seem to react quickly enough to counter it.

You just need to practice it imo.

I find the best way of practicing is to do it almost entirely in the campaign until you have it mailed down.
  • Mord-Vi
    583 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    It's a really fun mechanic. If you work it into your corners, doorways, etc you can pull some sneaky moves.
    Remember, this is an arcade action fps shooter. Not a sim.
  • XDCFluffy
    267 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Mord-Vi wrote: »
    It's a really fun mechanic. If you work it into your corners, doorways, etc you can pull some sneaky moves.
    Remember, this is an arcade action fps shooter. Not a sim.

The ones I am referring to are sliding/running along corridors, dropping explosive turning around sliding away and blowing up the enemy, and as said its so glitchy they can do this without been killed. This is one extreme example I saw last night. They are slide/running around the map not just around corners. Don't get me wrong its a part of the game but then so was dolphin diving in BF2 and it took them forever to sort that out as well.

As it happens this is been addressed along with ADAD spam so hopefully DICE actually see it through.
  • Oskool_007
    557 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 2017
    I feel sliding is used too much as an exploit. Sliding can be used to dodge left or right at full sprint speed.

Run forward, tap crouch, then hold down 'D' while releasing 'W' allows sliding sideways at full sprint speed. With slide strafing you can release the W key and slide completely sideways at a 90 degree angle at full sprint speed. It's basically a dodge move.

Sliding around corners and doorways is used to pop around them really fast in order to get a peek advantage, shooting enemies before they can see or react to you. I view this as exploiting the netcode's limitations.

The really good sliders will use it to slide into a doorway, toss dynamite into the room, then slide back out of the doorway all with one tap of the crouch button. They basically peek around the doorway and toss dynamite into the room before anyone sees them or can shoot them.

Sliding could definitely use some adjustments. The most needed adjustment is preventing players from strafing left or right while sliding. Sliding should only be a forward movement. Turning the mouse while sliding should also be limited like it is during bayonet charging. In fact, most of the nerfs done to the bayonet charge should be applied to sliding as well. No left or right strafing allowed and no tight turns with the mouse.

I have crouch assigned to the spacebar, so I can easily slide around. I imagine some players use macros to hold the shift key down so they can easily sprint slide in any direction without needing to use their pinky finger. It's a lot easier to rapidly press the W S A D keys without your pinky finger holding the shift key down.

If you really want to exploit sliding to it's fullest, here's how.

Tape your shift key down.
    Set spacebar to 'hold to crouch'

That's it. Now you can sprint forward and when you run into a enemy simply mash the spacebar and D key at the same time, then release W. You'll be dodging sideways at full sprint speed. This setup makes sliding around corners and doorways at full sprint speed possible as well. They'll never know what hit them.
    Post edited by Oskool_007 on
  • IG-Calibre
    978 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited October 2017
    ^^ this explains so much, I was wondering how they were doing the really fast side to side shimmy at superhero speeds - it's like they exist at 2 points at the same time and then rubberband between them, it is as ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ as dolphin diving for sure, can't wait until they get rid of it.
  • UXROO
    895 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I see players sliding really rarely and i don't think it's anywhere near OP or whatever. If it would be more players would use it. But yeah it will help you avoid some bullets but sliding stops quick so if enemy expects you, it won't help you that much. I think AD AD spam is a bit bigger cancer then sliding.
  • Mord-Vi
    583 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Strafe movement speed is in fact being nerfed. (a,d,a,d) - it's the only factor in which I think turns the slide into an exploit. Perhaps DICE should add a 1 second cool down to it so as to limit doorway "shimy's"
  • Noodlesocks
    3628 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I do think there should be some sort of penalty to accuracy when sliding but I have to admit it's a lot of fun sliding around corners with shotguns and SMGs and cheesing the heck out of the game.
  • CPU_UK
    1096 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I don't mind it, but I see some people sliding constantly, every couple seconds, nothing to do with a cool sneak attack- it's the new "dolphin diving" for sure.
  • UXROO
    895 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Mord-Vi wrote: »
    Strafe movement speed is in fact being nerfed. (a,d,a,d) - it's the only factor in which I think turns the slide into an exploit. Perhaps DICE should add a 1 second cool down to it so as to limit doorway "shimy's"

If you slide multiple times your sliding will get slower and slower with every slide and it takes few seconds to get full speed back. Still maybe if many players used it they should do something about it, but i think i got killed because of sliding 2-3 times in 400+ hours.
  • I-Soldat-I
    1644 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I see it as a nuisance but it will be fixed in the forthcoming patch along with ADAD spam (hopefully)
  • xcasxcursex
    1676 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I've also used it when knifing people as they generally can't seem to react quickly enough to counter it..

That's not reaction time, it's an exploit. Slide-knifing from the front OHKs are a thing, look it up.
    LGYT confirmed cheat ;)
  • LOLGotYerTags
    14359 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    edited October 2017
    I haven't had a OHK knife while sliding, Hold up.. I do have it on gfycat though!

https://gfycat.com/RipeWeightyAmericanquarterhorse

:edit:
    In the fine example above, you can see I slid in front of the guy, And it took 2 hits before the third would initiate the takedown.
  • OP_Glitchmobile
    972 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This guy gets it:

• Granathar
    249 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Sliding is nice, but should have some adjustments. For example, you can slide only forward, only from sprinting and it also has 1 s cooldown anyway. I encountered some maniacal sliders and it was not only broken in terms of gameplay, but also looked wrong. They slided left and right changing direction like 3 times per second doing some weird squat/jumping jacks. Some people could even turn around while sliding, and they didn't move in their original direction as they should... but they actually changed movement direction... to the opposite O.o It's physically impossible and even looks painfully wrong.

Maybe ADAD spam fix will remove this effect too, but I'm pretty sure that it will be overlooked.
  • VESPA5
    784 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Granathar wrote: »
    Maybe ADAD spam fix will remove this effect too, but I'm pretty sure that it will be overlooked.

Good gawd. That's the same tactic used in previous BF games and definitely during EA Battlefront. Spamming ADAD will definitely give you a slight advantage against that sniper or the person trying to vaporize you with an Automatico.

As for sliding, every time I see an enemy do it, I kinda instinctively know when to fire after they're done sliding. It actually makes for quite an easy headshot.
  • F1aw1ess
    817 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2017
    Sliding is much more commonly used in the smaller close quarters battle modes like dominiation and war pigeons and I suspect their new mode as well, I use it and I regularly play against a couple of clans that exploit it and to be completely honest it looks utterly comical, certainly not fitting for a war game, be that an 'arcade' shooter or whatever you want to call it.

Surely, DICE dont want their new 'competitive' mode to be 10 players constantly sliding/skating around the whole map? BF1 will be the laughing stock of the eSports world.
  • Granathar
    249 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    F1aw1ess wrote: »
    Surely, DICE dont want their new 'competitive' mode to be 10 players constantly sliding/skating around the whole map? BF1 will be the laughing stock of the eSports world.

Well, that's a good point. In CS:GO people ADAD too, but knee-skating from BF1 would provoke people to use music from Benny Hill as soundtrack for Youtube recordings of BF1 matches.
  • ROTCrazytrain1
    524 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, CTE Member
    well then lets put bunny hopping back in i never saw a problem with that
  • DeLtAuk2004
    1107 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    UXROO wrote: »
    I see players sliding really rarely and i don't think it's anywhere near OP or whatever. If it would be more players would use it. But yeah it will help you avoid some bullets but sliding stops quick so if enemy expects you, it won't help you that much. I think AD AD spam is a bit bigger cancer then sliding.

Agreed ADAD spamming is very annoying .