A new trend with tanks?

OG-N2rock
1788 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
So recently I've been running across full health empty tanks. First time was a few weeks ago, the tank was parked inside the spawn, but was tucked away in an area of the spawn that was behind where people spawn in (but not out of bounds). It was just sitting there, and no one around it. Of course I took it. Later that same game, I ran across another tank placed again out of the way. It made me start wondering if a team mate had friends on the opposite team, so he was spawning in our tanks and stashing them away in order to help his team.

A few days later, once again found a tank hidden in the spawn. Then on another day, I found another tank, this one wasn't in the spawn, but it was in a "back corner" of a map where people don't usually go. All of those were Conquest games. Then today on Ops, once again, a tank sitting in the back of the spawn area. Later in the same game, I found the same thing again.

So are people starting to "hide" tanks? Has anyone else run across this?

Comments

• dcs500
    1387 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I've picked up a couple of abandoned tanks, I just assumed they were left by lightweights and rage quitters.
    :)
    Do abandoned tanks destroy themselves like in BF3, or do they stay on the map?
  • OG-N2rock
    1788 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    dcs500 wrote: »
    I've picked up a couple of abandoned tanks, I just assumed they were left by lightweights and rage quitters.
    :)
    Do abandoned tanks destroy themselves like in BF3, or do they stay on the map?

Pretty sure they remain until destroyed. Since all of these were full health tanks, I think there's more to it than just abandoned.
  • dfwviking
    199 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Have they fixed the issue with tanks that will not fire or have the main gun - have gotten in a couple of them abandoned in the spawn - just drove them as a mobile armored team spawn point until it got destroyed
  • full951
    2417 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    dfwviking wrote: »
    Have they fixed the issue with tanks that will not fire or have the main gun - have gotten in a couple of them abandoned in the spawn - just drove them as a mobile armored team spawn point until it got destroyed

you probably got trolled. there is a way to force the tank to have no loadout. not the best troll imo
  • Tullzter
    1074 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Probably used as transport then dumped
  • TylymiezWelho
    42 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2017
    You know, now that you mention it I noticed this on the other day when spawning in home base Galicia - there were three armoured cars just sitting there empty next to each other. Not in any corner hiding either, right in the middle of spawn.

And probably because I am a BF1942 veteran, I didn't think it was anything odd - just vehicles in base waiting for players to take and use them...
  • Ploodovic
    1642 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Before they changed the requirement, there was one medal where you had to spawn as a French tanker, get out of the vehicle, and get 25 kills on foot. Lots of abandoned tanks then.

Now? All I can think of is trying to get the dog tag (100 kills) for C93 Carbine, that was released with In the Name if the Tsar.
  • OG-N2rock
    Ploodovic wrote: »
    Before they changed the requirement, there was one medal where you had to spawn as a French tanker, get out of the vehicle, and get 25 kills on foot. Lots of abandoned tanks then.

Now? All I can think of is trying to get the dog tag (100 kills) for C93 Carbine, that was released with In the Name if the Tsar.

Well that might actually be the answer.
  • TamKingski
    1730 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    OG-N2rock wrote: »
    So recently I've been running across full health empty tanks. First time was a few weeks ago, the tank was parked inside the spawn, but was tucked away in an area of the spawn that was behind where people spawn in (but not out of bounds). It was just sitting there, and no one around it. Of course I took it. Later that same game, I ran across another tank placed again out of the way. It made me start wondering if a team mate had friends on the opposite team, so he was spawning in our tanks and stashing them away in order to help his team.

A few days later, once again found a tank hidden in the spawn. Then on another day, I found another tank, this one wasn't in the spawn, but it was in a "back corner" of a map where people don't usually go. All of those were Conquest games. Then today on Ops, once again, a tank sitting in the back of the spawn area. Later in the same game, I found the same thing again.

More than likely somebody had friends on the other team and was trying to hide vehicle assests to help his friends/team on the other side or he was trolling.
    While it only seems to happen when you have multiple platoon members in a match,Players have been doing this for a while in multiple bf games.
    Ive had matches where ill be sitting in the AA truck to rek pilots only to discover when i get blown up that the pilot or his friend has switched sides grabbed the AA truck and sits it at the back of the map doing nothing for the rest of the game while his pilot friend reks ground forces.

Some would say its a clever tactic,personally i think its unsporting and borderline cheating.
  • OG-N2rock
    TamKingski wrote: »
    OG-N2rock wrote: »

More than likely somebody had friends on the other team and was trying to hide vehicle assests to help his friends/team on the other side or he was trolling.
    While it only seems to happen when you have multiple platoon members in a match,Players have been doing this for a while in multiple bf games.
    Ive had matches where ill be sitting in the AA truck to rek pilots only to discover when i get blown up that the pilot or his friend has switched sides grabbed the AA truck and sits it at the back of the map doing nothing for the rest of the game while his pilot friend reks ground forces.

Some would say its a clever tactic,personally i think its unsporting and borderline cheating.

Yeah, I too consider it unsporting, and cheating. I know with my platoon, we sometimes get on opposite teams even though we are all in party chat together. That doesn't mean anything to us, in fact we go on and try to kill each other. The only difference being that we can no longer communicate with each other about where to go, as that just gives our "enemy" a heads up LOL
  • skoopsro
    308 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited October 2017
    Many people are trying to get the 100 kill dogtag for c93 supressed carbine. And to do so you gotta bail from your tank either as exploding or early. Better chance of suprising enemies by bailing early. I have seen MANY abandoned tanks recently.
    And its also been an issue with people spawning into the type of tank they dont want because the new dlc. When you go bac to the vanilla maps you are automatically selecting either the landship or artillery trucks. And i have no intention of using either when i can use a heavy or light tank given the option.
  • kampkaos_420_
    2675 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    You know, now that you mention it I noticed this on the other day when spawning in home base Galicia - there were three armoured cars just sitting there empty next to each other. Not in any corner hiding either, right in the middle of spawn.

And probably because I am a BF1942 veteran, I didn't think it was anything odd - just vehicles in base waiting for players to take and use them...

The cars are always there. No one needs to spawn in them to make them appear.
  • TylymiezWelho
    42 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The cars are always there. No one needs to spawn in them to make them appear.

They are?!

Holy manure, shows how much I spawn there...
  • dreadpiratedylan
    64 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    i have noticed abandoned tanks recently but never knew why?
    sometimes i use them and sometimes i place land mines under them and wait for a big bang and easy kill...
  • ahxe45
    88 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    They need to do away completely with tanks/artillery trucks being able to sit out of bounds where no one can touch them. For one they are not helping their team by sitting way in the back taking pot shots and two no enemy can get to you which is kind of BS. Can't tell you how annoying it is on some maps where you have some Dbag sitting way in the back in an artillery truck taking shots at 1 flag for the whole game hoping they get a few kills.
  • Decado_Killer
    625 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    main one ive seen lately is an enemy just jumping out near me and i steal the tank.
  • Ploodovic
    1642 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I played Volga River yesterday, and there were plenty of abandoned tanks. They were all on fire, and had that alarm going, to warn that their health was critical. Funnily, no one seemed to take them or repair, or even blow them up. So they just stood there, blending in well with the surroundings of the decorative already blown up tanks.
  • CanonFodder23
    353 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I haven't noticed this at all. But I mostly play Operations so it's possible that it's only confined to Conquest. Did notice, however, that in a back-to-basics game (which now has tanks and planes) that two tanks were operating as a unit, storming from flag to flag. This made it very dificult to take them both out.
  • Trokey66
    8174 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2017
    Having done it myself, perhaps it is a stolen tank that the 'thief' has hidden so he can respawn as Support with repair tool for internal repairs.

Granted that doesn't fully explain full health but can't some variants 'emergancy repair' fully without the tool?

Whilst nefarious reasons cannot be discounted, there could be totally 'legit' reasons for it.