Weekly BF

Will there be more then 5 server regions?

Comments

• VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Do you have proof that high pingers, in region, is a small percentage?

This is the kind of misinformation that causes these threads to spiral into conspiracy theories.
  • mmarkweII
    2919 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    iSpyRecon wrote: »
    Mark, you seem to forget that the developer himself admitted to the fact that high pings cause server sync issues that can create hits behind cover and for the high ping players damage to go ignored ie, bullet sponge. It's not a secret and it's not a myth and it's not magic. Again, Chris has spelled it all out for them with vivid proof. You may wish to say that local players could have high ping and yes, that may be true, but it is a extremely small percentage. The overwhelming and overpowered majority of high-ping is caused by players playing out of region (some obviously intentionally - that's no secret as well). Again, it's not a secret, it's not a myth and it's not magic ...They must make sure high ping players don't ruin everyone else's game. As beautiful as Battlefield One will be, it's pointless if your bullets don't work and if you're shot behind solid cover. Yes, the PC players will enjoy a ping limiter. I still want proof that that cannot be done on a console. To date, DICE has refused to even give us ping numbers of players in session like every other game in the world does.

PS. Good chat and catch ya in the trenches.

I didn't forget he said that at all really. That was said about 9 months after release. And here's the part that everybody fails to realize.....and it was confirmed by Chris too, the high ping had a "slight" advantage with the correct play style accompanying it. That was it. In all other scenarios they had the disadvantage. This is where the misinformation should have stopped IMO. And since that comment was made, there has been significant improvements in just about every area when relating to the netcode.

So, again....there needs to be at least one more region for those players in Africa/ Middle East. And.....the servers need to be not the old recycled servers. Would love for them to be the high tickrate across the board for game modes and platforms.
  • iSpyRecon
    770 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited May 2016
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »

This is the kind of misinformation that causes these threads to spiral into conspiracy theories.

The easiest way to achive high ping / latency is distance from server. Is there any wonder why the European servers are filled with American players and Americans servers filled with Japanese players? Etc. Give me a break. Not rocket science dude and as for misinformation, the majority of which I am aking about was confirmed by DICE LA but I don't recall seeing your screen name on the Reddit discussions we had with them. I would suggest you do your own Google search and read through all the comments made by the Devs on the subject that confirm this is\was anything but a "conspiracy theory."

@mark, yes more servers would be great but again, nothing is in place to enforce regional play or even to show admins the ping of players on their rented servers. Yes I know some time has passed and improvements have been made. I've already said that. I applaud that. I still have fear about the next game. I simply advocate for balance and fair play. Nothing more -nothing less.
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 2016
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »

The easiest way to achive high ping / latency is distance from server. Is there any wonder why the European servers are filled with American players and Americans servers filled with Japanese players? Etc. Give me a break. Not rocket science dude and as for misinformation, the majority of which I am aking about was confirmed by DICE LA but I don't recall seeing your screen name on the Reddit discussions we had with them. I would suggest you do your own Google search and read through all the comments made by the Devs on the subject that confirm this is\was anything but a "conspiracy theory."

@mark, yes more servers would be great but again, nothing is in place to enforce regional play or even to show admins the ping of players on their rented servers. Yes I know some time has passed and improvements have been made. I've already said that. I applaud that. I still have fear about the next game. I simply advocate for balance and fair play. Nothing more -nothing less.

Again get some facts first. In terms of internet, the US, for example, doesn't have the best infrastructure...majority of customers are still on shared media like coax. It's not hard to be in the 90ms latency and still play in region (especially on peak hours). I get under 150ms latency from the Central US to an European server, thats better than some Europeans (Poland for example) connecting to the same server. I get around 76-85ms latency to West Coast servers from the central US....I'm in region yet compared to someone in LA I am a laggy ****.

Please don't be naive about how bad many people's ISPs are, and don't think just because my name is not posted on a reddit thread that I haven't kept up with the conversation.

You are taking little snippets of what was discussed on reddit and mashing them together so they fit your agenda. Chris did point out issues with the game due to lag and low tick rates, what you failed to comment on is how Dice corrected it to make it better.

You want to see lag advantae, go watch the vid by Chris on RB6's netcode.
  • HCAR_HCAR_HCAR
    122 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Can we get a dev to post a yes or no answer? That's all I want.
  • iSpyRecon
    770 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited May 2016
    How absolutely absurd to say I have an agenda. You must have me confused with someone who 1. doesn't love Battlefield 2. doesn't want to see it succeed and 3. doesn't want to enjoy it fully. If you want to argue semantics that's fine. I don't care where a player is from but if their ping is above 125ms (for example) they shouldn't be on the server. It seems to me the PC players that install a ping limit understand it.

As the developer said in the thread you followed so closely ... high ping is knocking sync and one hit kills are nothing more than a burst when the sync finally catches up. Damage goes ignored and excetera. I remember them stating they were trying to balance it to where above 150 ms the player would begin to notice a negitave affect and not an "advantage" His words. I posted everything that was stated in that massive oor thread but I would need a couple of days to sift through it to find it if you really want to doubt it.

And I know you were busy questioning my agenda but could you please answer why there are so many people playing out of region? And please do not tell me it's because they have friends there. Lastly, I am willing to bet money that if we polled 100 local players.. 5% of them might have a high enough ping to where would be detrimental to our gameplay... Then let's take the same poll of players 6000 miles away jumping on a Us East Coast server. Sure and I agree it shouldn't be about location but when ping is raised by distance ...
  • GalaxyMix
    336 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    You sell your game in country X?...then provide servers to Country X!

SIMPLE! Does not take a much brain power
  • AFROSRB
    317 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited May 2016
    On XBOX One I play often in Servers where admins write EU ONLY, otherwise kicked. I can't remember the last time being hit behind cover. I know it's frustrating, but as long EA doesn't gives us more server location we have to find and play on servers where the admins are active. I NEVER play quick match I always browse for server
  • Crispy_Pinguin
    1598 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The middle east will have to have they're own servers, cause the game is also set for that part of the world so a lot of people there will play the game !
  • VBALL_MVP
    How absolutely absurd to say I have an agenda. You must have me confused with someone who 1. doesn't love Battlefield 2. doesn't want to see it succeed and 3. doesn't want to enjoy it fully. If you want to argue semantics that's fine. I don't care where a player is from but if their ping is above 125ms (for example) they shouldn't be on the server. It seems to me the PC players that install a ping limit understand it.

As the developer said in the thread you followed so closely ... high ping is knocking sync and one hit kills are nothing more than a burst when the sync finally catches up. Damage goes ignored and excetera. I remember them stating they were trying to balance it to where above 150 ms the player would begin to notice a negitave affect and not an "advantage" His words. I posted everything that was stated in that massive oor thread but I would need a couple of days to sift through it to find it if you really want to doubt it.

And I know you were busy questioning my agenda but could you please answer why there are so many people playing out of region? And please do not tell me it's because they have friends there. Lastly, I am willing to bet money that if we polled 100 local players.. 5% of them might have a high enough ping to where would be detrimental to our gameplay... Then let's take the same poll of players 6000 miles away jumping on a Us East Coast server. Sure and I agree it shouldn't be about location but when ping is raised by distance ...

Oh where to begin. Yes you have an agenda because once again you forget to mention all the things changed that prevents these advantages. You have the netgraph to actually see what's happening. Also you forget about the adding of high frequency updates, high tick rate, and most of all hit rejection. You will never solve lag, it's always there unless you are on a lan, but one thing is for sure a guy with 300ms ping won't get a shot registered as you strafe across. You mentioned Chris, go watch his RB6 vid and tell me when was the last time damage registered like that in BF4?

You say so many people play out of region, tell me how many are playing out of region? Give me a number. And how do you know they are out of region? Cause they wear japanese dog tags? They speak a different language? News flash, anyone can equip any of the dog tags, people speak other languages. If you live in America you will see billboards and TV shows all in Spanish for people who speak a different language in America.

Yes you have an agenda and you try to proove it with emotions and half stories. Not one bit of analytical data. Come back with some real data, then maybe we can have an actual debate.
  • mmarkweII
    2919 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    GalaxyMix wrote: »

Agreed.

I'd also like to see the server browser reworked. Put the servers with the best connection at the top. Also, have ping numbers to the server shown with color coded bars. And lastly, there needs to be a ping in scoreboard on consoles. This has been asked for for many years now.
  • Visegrip117
    1346 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    mmarkweII wrote: »

Agreed.

I'd also like to see the server browser reworked. Put the servers with the best connection at the top. Also, have ping numbers to the server shown with color coded bars. And lastly, there needs to be a ping in scoreboard on consoles. This has been asked for for many years now.

100%agree to this. I wish there was a way to thumbs up your post
  • VBALL_MVP
    mmarkweII wrote: »

Agreed.

Yeah, the bars don't mean much need numerals like in battlelog. To me 4 bars would say you have a good, not great, connection but in reality thays not true.
  • suspect69
    11 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I live in South Carolina used to play on official Dice East US servers that are consistently 30-60% occupied with Brazilians. BF3, BF4 ,BF Hardline it makes no difference the time of day and it's been like this for years. Dice/EA needs to give South and Central America regional servers. I am actually closer to the United Kingdom here on the east U.S. coast then I am to Brazil.

Let me offer you a quick geography lesson..Brazil is roughly 5000 miles from the east coast...The U.K. is a little over 4000. The entire U.S. mainland is actually SMALLER than the single country of Brazil with the population being within 100 million of that of the U.S. population...unless of course you want to include the population of Central America in which case you're talking a higher population that that of the ENTIRE United States!

I've been frustrated by the exclusion of a more viable option for those that live in South and Central America. It's not their fault they don't have their own regional servers but the lag and latency that is created by the sheer volume of these players is flat out ridiculous. If the U.S. can have both east AND west regional servers why the hell can't they provide servers for that regionas well??...oh wait, maybe it has something to do with $$$...:/

• fitzysalford
    27 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I can understand the issues around finding data centres in certain parts of the world that have a diverse power supply. But there are some cost effective things they could implement. Placing quick match players in their own region or the nearest region to them and not in any game around the world that has a spare position would help. Labelling some euro servers as middle east, and again sending quick match players in that region to them. Yes its not fair but at least they will all have a ping relative to each other.

I don’t know about the PS4, but the xbox one went region free. This means anyone can buy games from amazon etc in the USA from anywhere in the world. It is not just a matter of don’t sell the game in that region. Games used to be so expensive in Brazil that they would get a flight to Florida and be able to pay for it by bringing games back.

I would like to see true ping on the score board. Some of the worst lag I have seen has come from players in region that along with their two brothers are connecting wirelessly while downloading a film. If only 1 in 3 packets are getting to the server, your true ping is three times that value.
  • VBALL_MVP
    I can understand the issues around finding data centres in certain parts of the world that have a diverse power supply. But there are some cost effective things they could implement. Placing quick match players in their own region or the nearest region to them and not in any game around the world that has a spare position would help. Labelling some euro servers as middle east, and again sending quick match players in that region to them. Yes its not fair but at least they will all have a ping relative to each other.

I don’t know about the PS4, but the xbox one went region free. This means anyone can buy games from amazon etc in the USA from anywhere in the world. It is not just a matter of don’t sell the game in that region. Games used to be so expensive in Brazil that they would get a flight to Florida and be able to pay for it by bringing games back.

I would like to see true ping on the score board. Some of the worst lag I have seen has come from players in region that along with their two brothers are connecting wirelessly while downloading a film. If only 1 in 3 packets are getting to the server, your true ping is three times that value.

Yes Quick Match needs fixing. As for you last paragraph, exactly correct. There are many factors to poor networks that a speed test to a server 5 miles away doesn't show: you run Wireless on the same channel as everyone else in your neighborhood, you wife and kids are streaming and downloading as you play, your node over taxed, hardware issues along the route to the server, ISPs clamping bandwidth on specific traffic (see Netflix v Comcast). You may pay for 120Mbps and we you test it to the nearest server you may see full bandwidth, but once you leave your ISPs node, there is no guarantee how stable you connection is...that is the issue many don't understand.
  • iSpyRecon
    edited May 2016
    Please don't confuse bandwidth with latency. I have ran many tests with my own connection by choking my uploaded and my download to practically AOL dial-up levels (80k up and 500k down) and the game plays the same and my ping remains the same. Don't forget we're dealing with a latency based lag compensation. I have 5 bars to the US East Coast server (my local) and yet I have 2 bars to the Australian servers ... why? Perhaps it's because New York to Australia is over 10,000 miles away? Ya think? As I have already said, sure there could be a small percent of local players running with an unusualy high ping but the vast majority of ping related issues we deal with are because of players playing thousands of miles away from the server. End of story and my involvement in yet another beating the dead horse thread.

PS. DICE has added South American servers for Battlefield 4. It took them awhile. But there's nothing in place to make sure those from South America play on them.
  • VBALL_MVP
    Please don't confuse bandwidth with latency. I have ran many tests with my own connection by choking my uploaded and my download to practically AOL dial-up levels (80k up and 500k down) and the game plays the same and my ping remains the same. Don't forget we're dealing with a latency based lag compensation. I have 5 bars to the US East Coast server (my local) and yet I have 2 bars to the Australian servers ... why? Perhaps it's because New York to Australia is over 10,000 miles away? Ya think? As I have already said, sure there could be a small percent of local players running with an unusualy high ping but the vast majority of ping related issues we deal with are because of players playing thousands of miles away from the server. End of story and my involvement in yet another beating the dead horse thread.

PS. DICE has added South American servers for Battlefield 4. It took them awhile. But there's nothing in place to make sure those from South America play on them.

Again site your source on only a few high ping player in region....crappy internet is crappy internet and crappy routes are crappy routes. Doesn't matter if you have 120mbps...doesn't mean you have good stable internet. Hell there is a player here who plays on a 4G hotspot...you think there are not others? If you dont understand that then it explains why you are blaming everything on OOR.
  • mmarkweII
    Stick to the facts that are relevant to today and not almost 2 years old. Especially since the new content has ended for BF4 which would suggest the netcode for BF1 will at least be what it is in BF4. Do I hope it is improved upon at the release of BF1? Of course. But I also know it will never be perfect, no matter how many servers there are around the world.
  • doobiebromac
    623 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited May 2016
    FACT- BF1 will be plagued with all the same out of region lag problems BF4 and Hardline STILL have if EA does nothing to change how people can connect to server regions.

This is what SHOULD be done for CONSOLES(PC already has tools in place to ensure stable lag free servers),..EA should region lock all regional servers they provide. BUT have OPEN international servers that do not have a region lock, for all the bad connects EA sells the game to but fails to provide server support for. This will also allow gamers to play with their friends abroad should they desire to.

Now for PRIVATE servers,..there should be a ping limiter for all private servers. We are paying for these so there is absolutely ZERO reason that this could not be done. It would not violate any TOS on Sony's or Microsoft's part.

Lastly, console servers need a ping register on the scoreboard! Why we do not have this STILL is a testament to EA's wanting to keep console players in the dark as much as possible regarding the out of region lag issues. If we could see how bad and often most of these players are lagging out every server, no one would ever play any of EA/Dice's online FPS again. The fact that EA/Dice KNOWS(and has acknowledged) that this is the biggest issue negatively effecting the online gameplay of BF, yet STILL does nothing about it shows the extent of their greed and apathy to the community of this franchise.

It is 2016 EA/Dice knows that lag comp is garbage, will never work and is ruining the online gameplay,..yet they STILL allow a player with any latency, to join servers any where in the world, any time they want. That is a disgusting amount of negligence, in my opinion.
    Post edited by doobiebromac on
This discussion has been closed.