BF needs to get rid of premium and just raise the price for the game

Comments

• von_Campenstein
    2993 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    sendjes wrote: »
    I find it hard to see any logic in the OP, but I get how annoying it must be, not to have enough cash to pay for something you want, but Premium kinda states what's going on. And let's say it all went free, don't you think the majority of Premium players would rage like never seen before? So in my opinion, the Premium option is just fine as it is.

I wouldn't rage if the money from premium went into better customer service, better servers, swifter response from support, membership on a forum the devs actually read, stuff like that, no need to make premium about ingame content, there are still plenty of services you can charge extra for.
  • BEFLAR
    329 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    sendjes wrote: »
    I find it hard to see any logic in the OP, but I get how annoying it must be, not to have enough cash to pay for something you want, but Premium kinda states what's going on. And let's say it all went free, don't you think the majority of Premium players would rage like never seen before? So in my opinion, the Premium option is just fine as it is.
    I was trying to find a way to not divide the player base and still have ea make the same amount of money.

• 1903_Dark_Eagle
    79 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The whole premium thing is stupid, it just divides the community. I agree with OP.
  • Loqtrall
    8404 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    The whole premium thing is stupid, it just divides the community. I agree with OP.

Solid argument.
  • crabman169
    10215 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

The whole platform thing is stupid; it just divides the community
  • trip1ex
    1374 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited November 15
    Tonight couldn't have played French DLC on pc if I wanted to and that's in Conquest - the most popular mode. Good luck playing those maps in other modes on pc.

Hence on pc ...Premium maps are basically early access except no one gets to play them after the early access ends.

This is why hiding maps behind a paywall in an online multiplayer game doesn't make sense. You need other players to play maps.

Weapons and vehicles are a different story. If those are exclusive it doesn't matter how few have them. You can still use them.

Maps don't work that way. The fewer that have them the worse the value.
  • Loqtrall
    8404 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited November 15
    trip1ex wrote: »
    Tonight couldn't have played French DLC on pc if I wanted to and that's in Conquest - the most popular mode. Good luck playing those maps in other modes on pc.

Hence on pc ...Premium is basically early access except no one gets to play after the early access ends.

This is why hiding maps behind a paywall in an online multiplayer game doesn't make sense. You need other players to play maps.

Weapons and vehicles are a different story. If those are exclusive it doesn't matter how few have them. You can still use them.

....There's also only 7,600 total players currently on PC - it's a tuesday night, not exactly peak player count times......That might be the reason the "issue" is so intensified in that case

I'm sure when there were 21,000 additional players (3x as many as the current) sometime earlier today, it may have been at least a little bit easier - but still, that's a peak 24h playercount lower than current console playercounts.

Can't populate servers if there's nobody there to populate them.
  • trip1ex
    1374 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited November 15
    Loqtrall wrote: »

Hence on pc ...Premium is basically early access except no one gets to play after the early access ends.

....There's also only 7,600 total players currently on PC - it's a wednesday night, not exactly peak player count times......That might be the reason the "issue" is so intensified in that case.

Vanilla maps had no problem being played with only 7600 players.
  • Loqtrall
    edited November 15

....There's also only 7,600 total players currently on PC - it's a wednesday night, not exactly peak player count times......That might be the reason the "issue" is so intensified in that case.

Yeah, but how many of those members are people who don't own premium or don't even want to play premium maps at all - compared to those who do own premium and are playing vanilla despite the fact there's enough of them to fill up a DLC server?

Either way you're missing the point altogether - you're talking about playing DLC maps on a game where the current playercount on your specific platform is just over 7,000 players, and obviously not all of those players are going to own DLC or even be interested in playing DLC - thus splitting your chances of finding a populated DLC server into even more abysmal percentages than before.

That said - even on console where you can find plenty of populated DLC servers, there are still substantially more people playing vanilla maps/servers, and there are still Premium members who choose to play vanilla maps despite the fact there are plenty of DLC servers to choose from.

The point being that even if maps were available for everyone - after about a month you'd be back here complaining nobody is playing on those maps because there are only 7,000 people playing when you get on and most of them are still going to stick with the vanilla maps - just like has happened in literally every other BF game. Including BF4 where DLC later in it's lifetime were literally given away for free multiple times.

I owned Premium from day 1 on BF4 and my most played maps by far were vanilla maps, even well after DLC was released. DLC was given away for free and at the end of it's life/development cycle people were STILL complaining they couldn't find DLC maps on PC.

Then BF1 comes out - it's PC playerbase tanks, a ton of PC players influx back to BF4 and boom - all of sudden the DLC servers are back because the playerbase grew.

Bottom line - you're already at a disadvantage finding populated DLC servers by default because your platform is severely lacking in players at least half of every single day.

That's not solely the fault of developers - I'm sure there are PLENTY of Premium users out of those 7,600 current players that could populate multiple DLC servers. But why are they not despite the option being there? Why are they instead sticking with vanilla maps like the rest of the BF playerbase does even when DLC is given away?

Why was Giant's Shadow given away for free and is now skipped in voting nearly every time it comes up in rotation in matches I'm in?

Everybody thinks giving DLC away for free is the blatant solution and it's not.

Not only will it not result in the outcome you want - which is the same 4-map pack multi-DLC plan just for free so everyone can play - but it will result in less frequent and lesser quality DLC that everyone will just come back to the forums complaining is absolute garbage.

The same thing happens in every other community/forum pertaining to a AAA shooter with free maps - they all have trash free DLC maps that aren't as good as the vanilla maps.

And on top of that DICE/EA have BLATANTLY shown us what happens when they give maps away for free in their AAA FPS games - we get the Star Wars Battlefront system where they make up for the money they lost giving away DLC by putting gameplay-effecting loot box microtransactions in the game - and make unlocking everything take dozens of hours if you don't get it by random chance through lootboxes.

EA have already shown with Titanfall 2 and SWBF2 what happens to their games when the DLC models go from paid to free.

It's not what we need. Titanfall 2 was no heroic effort that brought life back to the franchise - and I guarantee in 6 months SWBF2 will be as dead as is predecessor.

Free DLC is not going to save those games.
  • crabman169
    10215 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Ever think those 7600 players are vanilla only owners?

I don't know your time zone but I now it's "offpeak" for Europe and US whilst down here people are still at work
  • Loqtrall
    crabman169 wrote: »

I don't know your time zone but I now it's "offpeak" for Europe and US whilst down here people are still at work

Yeah for most of the world right now It's a tuesday night/wednesday morning/afternoon - and most of the world are either sleeping, just waking up, or carrying on their work week.

Within this general 5-6 hour timeframe seems like the absolute worst time to try and play on a platform with already low player numbers at peak levels.
  • crabman169

Yeah for most of the world right now It's a tuesday night/wednesday morning/afternoon - and most of the world are either sleeping, just waking up, or carrying on their work week.

Within this general 5-6 hour timeframe seems like the absolute worst time to try and play on a platform with already low player numbers at peak levels.

Stop with the logic McAngus
  • BEFLAR
    329 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Why are there no premium servers on console with all the maps running. People say they exist but I can't find them. Give me that and I'll be happy with the premium dlc the way it is.
  • Pinnedurass123
    22 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    They should just put all maps option for season pass holders. I like all maps and hate having to bounce around lobbies in order to play them.
  • HuwJarz
    1894 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    They should just put all maps option for season pass holders. I like all maps and hate having to bounce around lobbies in order to play them.

There already is. Search for 'MIXED' in your server browser name field.
  • 1903_Dark_Eagle
    79 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

That would be a nightmare to execute properly, technically speaking. Battlefield already has a problem with latency and stuff and if it were spread across all platforms it would just be worse I think.

Not only that, but I really don't want to be going up against incredible PC players. Yes I can hold my own on console but most of us console players just don't have what it takes to go up against some of these PC players.
  • Loqtrall

That would be a nightmare to execute properly, technically speaking. Battlefield already has a problem with latency and stuff and if it were spread across all platforms it would just be worse I think.

Not only that, but I really don't want to be going up against incredible PC players. Yes I can hold my own on console but most of us console players just don't have what it takes to go up against some of these PC players.

I think his point was that the "premium splits the playerbase" argument is as nonsensical as saying all platforms should play together because having separate platforms splits the playerbase.

It's about as nonsensical as claiming game modes split the player base so there should only be conquest - or Hardcore splits the playerbase so there should only be Normal.

He wasn't seriously stating he wanted all platforms to play together.
  • TankGewehr1917
    638 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I’m 90% convinced OP is trolling over the SWBF2 P2W thing, but replacing microtransactions with raising the price.
  • Pinnedurass123
    22 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    HuwJarz wrote: »

There already is. Search for 'MIXED' in your server browser name field.

Does this apply to console's? I've heard of these lobbies but have never found one for domination in server browser.
  • -Antares65z
    419 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Getting back to the main point of this thread, I thought something like this might work and cater to the majority's interest out there. Raise the base cost of the game by $25 that includes all the future DLC maps. Premium option would be an additional $25 and would include extra weapons, gadgets, early access, special skins, additional battlepacks etc. If you can afford $60 for a game now, chances are you could come up with $85 for the base game and you'd get all the maps.That is #1 thing that really splits the community. Extra play options/enhancements are there for those willing to cough up more coin for a better playing experience. I'd be willing to bet that those that originally shelled out $85 for the base game, would be more likely in the coming months to find an additional $25 (birthday present idea??) to join the ranks of the premium members.