Remember MAG PS3? Played better than BF1

AngelofMirth1
137 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Just played Conquest....lowest latency on the scoreboard.....choppy, laggy, unplayable, hit reg off, shot out instantly every time by people I can't even see......this isn't progress..Mag's domination had more players but the gameplay was smoother than this..Yeah loads of dodgy deaths in Mag but Conquest just now was unplayable..i had to ask myself....where is the fun in this? Mag had 256 played on a map in its big game modes...I remember playing absolute slugfests with players everywhere yet I could still do very well and enjoy the gameplay...Mag was 7 years ago.....and when it played good and you had a good squad/platoon/company it was EPIC..I have been searching for a game like MAG and all have fallen very short...Yeah BF 1 is pretty, and sounds great and when your gun works and the frames are decent and the lag/network is good it can be great...but it is sooooo frustrating...I actually have a love/hate relationship with this game..

I want an epic FPS experience and all that jus happening now is I am turning off shooters.....MAG had its problems but no other fps has ever played like Mag, the scope and moments of wow were brilliant and 7 years on ....i have BF 1 Conquest...........and what I just played was painful

Comments

• MayorMarionBarry
    2045 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    MAG was awesome.
    Has 200+ people been done on a console since then?

It, of course, had its moments of server freak outs, but overall a damn good experience.

Zipper was amazing before Sony bought them and completely destroyed their will to create awesome video games.
    SOCOM II is still the best online console shooter of all time.

R.I.P. Zipper Interactive.
  • AngelofMirth1
    MAG was awesome.
    Has 200+ people been done on a console since then?

It, of course, had its moments of server freak outs, but overall a damn good experience.

Zipper was amazing before Sony bought them and completely destroyed their will to create awesome video games.
    SOCOM II is still the best online console shooter of all time.

R.I.P. Zipper Interactive.

I never played Socom so I can't comment on that game..But Mag was a beast of a game....It encouraged squads to really play together, yes many lone wolves and many played for themselves...But when your bunker was being primed for detonation and you had a good squad and platoon...wow...never played such intense, exciting, battles....Conquest has not matched the Domination matches I played in MAG. BF 1 looks great but the actual layout of the domination maps were superb in the way it condensed the fighting as a team became closer to winning...In Conquest you can easily be in the wrong place and ineffective..MaG as you know had fantastic potential and depth...Even now when I think of MAG, it is still so way ahead and had so many brilliant concepts.

MAG 2 is a game that should have been made and frankly with MAG's comm system and ability for company leaders and platoon/squad leaders to talk to each other was immense. And the tactical assets which could be deployed. I could clan up and meet my friends easy and we could talk smack to the other team...memories..

Hopefully some developer will look at MAG and how the maps funnelled action and bring us 256 player games.....I would be happy to lose the prettiness if I can have the gameplay...and MAG was brilliant gameplay once you learned the game..

In my opinion nothing touches MAG when you consider the age of it to the newer titles...I played Conquest earlier today and it was rough...I could not enjoy it. I can only guess what Socom 2 was like...I have heard many good things. It is clear that gameplay trumps looks/MAG had issues of course but when it gelled it was stunning. I was invited to join a small Japanese clan and those guys were fun to run with and utterly tactical/team orientated. They were a Raven clan and always gave SVER a real hard time even when we were being swamped by a Sver platoon

One thing I loved about Mag was that if I shot you in the head with any weapon it was an insta death, as it should be. Today I shoot a guy, my aim indicator lights up 2-3 times a headshot yet he isn't suppressed/shaken and insta kills me....BF 1 is absolutely full of these moments when I just shake me head, no.

Some clever guy seriously should plagiarise the MAG concepts and bring us MAG 2.
  • spanielwolfboy
    53 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I didn’t get to play Mag, but I have the same sentiment about Dust514...(R.I.P.)
  • AngelofMirth1
    I didn’t get to play Mag, but I have the same sentiment about Dust514...(R.I.P.)

I remember Dust514..I played for a while, I didn't get into it as deeply as Mag. But it was one for the future..Some interesting ideas...And I enjoyed what I played. I think it was a little ahead of its time. I liked the setting and some very interesting maps.
  • Ronin9572
    801 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Never played Dust514, but knew alot of ppl that did. Probably due to the fact I played Defiance, and alot of ppl jumped back and forth between the games and after Dust514 closed.
  • TamKingski
    1730 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I remember M.A.G,while being a very good game from a technical/server standpoint,it was also an unbalanced mess,with most matches ending very much like bf1 with 1 team spawntrapping and destroying the other.
  • AngelofMirth1
    TamKingski wrote: »
    I remember M.A.G,while being a very good game from a technical/server standpoint,it was also an unbalanced mess,with most matches ending very much like bf1 with 1 team spawntrapping and destroying the other.

It could be a mess I agree. But I also remember a faction(SVER) dominating and everyone said it was unbalanced..There were balance problems but when the Japanese clans came on the balance shifted. This game was 7 years ago and had 256 player matches, compare that to a laggy Conquest now..from my experience of both....Mag was exceptional, especially when it played nice.
  • Tullzter
    1072 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Never played MAG but also never had choppy unresponsive issues on BF1...there are some frustrating bugs but nothing big enough to turn me away from this game
  • AngelofMirth1
    edited November 2017
    Tullzter wrote: »
    Never played MAG but also never had choppy unresponsive issues on BF1...there are some frustrating bugs but nothing big enough to turn me away from this game

This game can play very good, for me Domination and the smaller modes are less choppy, better frames..Yesterday and the day before I played 9-10 games of Conquest and it played rubbish...I can compare the two and MAG in the big game modes had up to 190 players more on a map..MAG had problems, but it became for many players a stand out game and the best if not amongst the best fps out there....If you liked team work and tactical play, vehicles, commando, etc it was a deep game...7 years on and I am complaining about the big game modes on BF1 and how they are playing poorly for me and yet I am hard wired, ports open, dns blah blah, lowest latency on the scoreboard and its poor.
  • Godhates1234
    412 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Yes MAG WORKED Dice.
  • FF_smart27
    1965 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Ronin9572 wrote: »

Never played Dust514, but knew alot of ppl that did. Probably due to the fact I played Defiance, and alot of ppl jumped back and forth between the games and after Dust514 closed.

Defiance, most adictive game I have ever played :smile:
  • Khronikos
    2145 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    BF1's gunplay is 10000x the absolute garbage gunplay of MAG could ever hope to be lol.
  • Ronin9572
    smart2705 wrote: »

It was so awesome! But the grind on that game was too real. Just rehashed stuff over and over. Getting a PS4 finally put Defiance to bed for me. I miss the players, not the game I guess.
  • AngelofMirth1

Khronikos wrote: »
    BF1's gunplay is 10000x the absolute garbage gunplay of MAG could ever hope to be lol.

I am more frustrated :/ 7 years on with the hit reg in BF 1.....and head shots....i sometimes get two or three headshot markers in BF 1 and they still don't die......MAG had problems but it had 256 PLAYERS...a better tactical comm system....tactical assets which could be deployed on a company, platoon, squad need...you could talk to your opponents! a headshot was an insta kill......a really good skill tree....and epic battles.....BF 1 has great moments.....but MAG was ahead of its time which is why no one has got close to repeating it 7 years on.....Now 256 player MAG could lag absolutely......so what is going on now with 64 players on a map in Conquest.?....I am genuinely fascinated that so many say there is no problem with frame drops/ lag or hit detection in there game. This isn't my experience and clearly not the case for many.

Every persons opinion is subjective. I am very frustrated with BF1...my opinion is that there are real problems with hit reg...OOR...ping..netcode...the 'inconsistency' is annoying as hell. MAG is 7 years old and set the record for most players on a map and worked most of the time....sometimes brilliantly....it has 7 years ago many features which BF 1 doesn't. I am waiting for a game company to create a game similar to MAG. In size and scope.
  • AngelofMirth1

It was so awesome! But the grind on that game was too real. Just rehashed stuff over and over. Getting a PS4 finally put Defiance to bed for me. I miss the players, not the game I guess.

I missed this game completely...i will check out some gameplay video....What did it do which made it so special?

• AngelofMirth1

I should have mentioned, many many MAG players went to Dust514, including whole clans I believe..I wonder if some of those clans are still active?
  • Ronin9572

I missed this game completely...i will check out some gameplay video....What did it do which made it so special?

Post apocalyptic cross platform MMO 3rd person shooter, tied to the tv show that had a few cross overs. I played for 2 1/2 years and joined just after it went f2p. Funny thing is I didn't watch the tv show till months after I stopped playing. I still have plenty of friends that play, even ones who have a PS4. I stopped playing because of some issues with the dev's and the direction the game was going, totally p2w.
  • jmgargoyle
    2463 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2017
    Khronikos wrote: »

Another great example of personal opinions giving inflated percentage numbers! Try thinking about all the various accessories for customizing the weapons and now they changed now the weapon worked. Then compare it to this "stuff" we are given 7 years later by a much larger corporation....ridiculous...I miss M.A.G.!! And my old cvlan I was in then......
    R.I.P. (wdb)....
  • FF_smart27
    1965 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Your post made me go back and play for a hour.
    Nothing has changed. Still fun but there's no one left from the old times which made me sad lol
  • ahxe45
    88 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    MAG was fun and all but it rarely worked right. When it did it was magical but that was very very rare. I think nostalgia is clouding your judgement no offense. I wish they would revamp the mag title for current gen consoles that would be awesome. Better yet they should come out with a Warhawk sequel or remaster. Now that game was the best shooter i have ever played and always seemed to work flawlessly. I poured hundreds of hours into that game and never got bored. Starhawk completely ruined the series though.