Who else thought the Russian DLC was a bit uneven?

Khronikos
2145 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
edited December 2017
I don't care what you think about the DLC. You can love it, hate, be okay with it. Whatever.

I loved half of the maps from the French DLC, and dislike more than a couple on the Russian side. I feel like Tsaritsyn and Galicia are mostly failures of design. They feel like not enough time was spent on their overall balance and quality.

I feel like teams never focus effectively because everyone wants to be doing something. So it's never realistic in that sense. It's always frantic and people are running everywhere without a clue as to what they are doing and spawning in constantly... unless they are in coordinated squads.

Even then I find the sniping in Russian DLC to be hit and miss. I don't like sniping for the most part. I don't like lying down for 30m a match and just picking people off randomly. It isn't why I play shooters. But the game pretty much insists you do this in imbalanced matches. There are very few cool behemoths. It's mostly just bad team tough luck quit or waste your life.

I play shooters mostly for arena style combat and 1v1 encounters. And this is not what the Russian DLC provides when teams cannot be balanced properly. So I can understand why some people like it, I do myself when equal teams face off against each other. But the tank battles are not that great, and the horses are only good on a couple maps. Cavalry can be fun when you are on a good run, but there are a lot of things in the way. I'd say Cavalry on Lupkow and tanking on Brusilov and Volga is probably the most fun I have had with the DLC in general.

I guess I just wish we had that Amiens-type map in Tsaritysn, and that Galicia was just radically different instead of more of the same.
Post edited by Khronikos on

Comments

• BEFLAR
    418 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Your a TDM guy at heart if I remember correctly. So big maps must bore you.

• Khronikos
    2145 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2017
    I play mostly Conquest right now and have been for the last 6 months.

I've tried to get into the Russian stuff. Can't stand it for the most part. Each map seems so random to me. Trekking across without a personal squad mostly leads to random deaths everywhere. Maybe this is why people convinced themselves that the smallest map, Tsaritsyn, is not garbage.

IDK to me it just tends to look like lazy design all around. Sure, the Russian openness fits in with the period, but it's still lazy design. There were more than fields in the Russian part of the war, and almost none of that is reflected in game. Brusilov has some cool parts to it, but in Conquest I really can't say the map is all that great. None of these maps are great in Conquest. Volga maybe being the only one I can tolerate.

I just find everyone massively overrating this DLC on release to be hilarious. No one seems to give a **** anymore. And for good reason. These maps were thrown together in haste and it shows. There is basically nothing to them. It's just long fields, water, and some random buildings placed in the maps for the most part.
  • Gforce81
    3666 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Geez dude, we get it. You didn't like the Russian DLC. You've made that quite apparent.

I didn't really like TNSP at all, but you don't see me posting 7 separate threads thinly veiled all to say the same thing

We get it.
  • Prep768
    3417 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I am an official and certified tank, horse and belly lying bipod using scrub - trainee attack plane scrub but will admit (apart from Tsaritsyn) med/long range game play due to map design sucks the fun out a tad for me.

Volga isn't too bad, Albion too. Galicia however............

By no means taking anything away from those guys you still see lying behind those sniper shields - I CAN STILL SHOOT YOUR LEGS!!
  • sfreeman73
    757 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    To be fair I like the Russian maps for one reason alone they really take the fun out of it for the scrubby hellriegel zerglings if you want to run about like a headless chicken fine but stick to the maps designed for it
  • TankGewehr1917
    1055 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I’m not too keen on Tsaritsyn and Brusilov and think Galicia was literally a field in Poland/Ukraine ported over into the game but most of the other maps aren’t bad. Albion is stacked against the Germans though.
  • Zooboid
    926 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Brusilov Keep is not one of my favourites, never seem to get the hang of it. Tsaritsyn also can be a pain. Weirdly I actually like Galicia especially on Domination and found it ok on Operations too.
  • WetFishDB
    1974 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The only thing I don’t like about the dlc is Galicia but I understand why they went for it, not everything needs to be the same pal variety is the spice of life an all that.

Damn straight, lol. I hate that fekkin map. Just a load of snipers and artillery trucks.
  • Khronikos
    Honestly, I find this DLC to be totally lacking. I do like certain maps in TDM, namely Brusilov, but it's Conquest map is totally pointless.

Tsaritsyn I think is one of the worst maps ever made for BF in general, and the Conquest map is a sick joke of hey look we rushed the crap out of this DLC look what it could have been if we tried (town, et cetera).

Galicia can be decent at times, but it's TDM map and small map is horrendous in a lot of ways. It's only so much fun hiding in craters dev team. Albion I have no idea in Conquest. It seems kind of terrible unless you are running a full squad because of the mass of snipers. Same with a decent amount of these maps.

Volga is okay because the map is set up well despite its lack of verticality of any kind. I honestly think this DLC has few redeeming values, and it is readily apparent it was not designed for long periods of time. I fear the same about the next DLC to be honest, though, I really hope we get some better Conquest maps.

It's not that I cannot enjoy this stuff. I can. I take a break and do some snow maps now and then. I think it is the idea that if your team starts losing badly, these snow maps are just terrible in general to compete with. On the winning side they are bearable, but if you are getting crushed on Brusilov or Tsaritsyn good luck man it's pointless trash to even play these maps with bad teams. And matchmaking is horrible.

I'll take an Artillery truck out on Brusilov or play it in TDM, but otherwise meh Conquest usually leads to one team getting **** in their base at some point or barely able to cap a second flag. It's rather similar battles you have, totally unlike say Amiens or some of the French DLC stuff. Albion while huge needs a lot of footwork, hence it needs good competent squads to get anywhere. TDM is okay on it, but if you are getting worked there is nowhere to hide really. I feel like I want to like it, but every time I get on a bad team it is too much walking, too much waste of my time in walking simulator. I don't want that out of this game. And the Russian DLC is full of it. I hate maps like Monte Grappa, and even that one I think has better battles in certain areas. But that is mostly how I feel about the DLC. Too crammed or too wide open, and none of it is really all that great.

I do like Volga for the most part. It's a decent map, though, it is pretty boring in some places. But it's still fun and it's a nice change of pace without too much walking to an active base. Why most of the other maps turned out like they did I will never understand.
  • Rasgyn_PS
    325 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    i enjoy galicia in operations. Its super finnicky with walking on the terrain, but ye mostly a frustrating deathrow. When it works though its awesome. I do enjoy all the dlc's so far, a nice change of pace.
  • Khronikos
    It's not really about enjoying or not enjoying the DLC to me. It's about how much better it could have been. Or at least maybe they could improve the matchmaking and it would clean itself up a bit. There is very little redeeming value in a few of these maps IMO.
  • JTRIV1461
    49 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    My playstyle didn't work at all for the TSAR DLC.... which was actually a good thing. I typically played Assault, ranked up there in AT Mine kills and spent enough time at the other classes to rank them up. But for the TSAR DLC I have mostly played scout. I found I love the SMLE Carbine and the new DLC not matching my playstyle was a plus expanding my gaming experience.
    My 2 cents.
  • ahxe45
    88 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    The only map I absolutely hate is Tsaritsyn. I think they should have expanded the map and control points more into the surrounding villages so it wasn't such a cluster F around the cathedral. Everyone just rushes to the cathedral and forgets about the other two control points so if you are playing against a semi organized team that focuses on the outer two control points you are done. I usually get stuck on the team where everyone just sits on the upper level of the cathedral hoping they kill the 1 person that comes in the door every couple of minutes. Other than that I actually don't mind the rest of the maps in the DLC. I used to hate Galicia but it has grown on me the more I have played it. Once I figured out that you need to use the trenches to navigate the map it became a lot better. I have had some of my highest kill streaks on this map due to people not using the trenches and running out in the open.
  • Rasgyn_PS
    325 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Well in terms of the operations gamemodes, i think both operations kind of force you to play several classes instead of waiting for the other guy with the flare of smoke or whatever. And thats something i enjoy, i enjoy that multiple classes are actually needed instead of being an easier win. I find multiplayer games in general more fun/interesting if you have to do different things while having a single main goal.

But i also think it was quitte a shock because practically every map is sort of predictable classwise, and then there was the russian dlc. The only complaint i had when it came out was the inconsistency in cover. The same bunch of planks or rocks in different places would be save or unsave. But arent most players just hating on galicia? Its too flat? I do find that the gamemodes all of a sudden become alot harder to win on that map. I believe even rush is quite a grind, and a good supplydrop is dependant on wheter the 2 teams are willing to go kamikaze or not. I wonder what will happen with frontlines on there :wink:
  • FightinFinn187
    722 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I quite enjoy most of the Tsar DLC, the only things I don't like are the obrez, perino, and the Tsaritsan map.
  • WetFishDB
    1974 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm not sure what your post is for, is it just to rant because you don't like something? You start quite with quite a hostile attitude, declaring you don't care what other people think about the DLC, but then proceed to try to tell everyone your thoughts. And then you end by asking people what they think (having already declared you don't care). Are you ok?

//
    Anyway, it probably depends on your play-style/class preferences. You don't really describe your preferred play-style - at least not in a coherent manner, but you do mention sniping more than once. What is it about your play-style that means you dislike these maps? For example, you say Brusilov is pointless, why? I have lots of fun on Conquest on that map (mostly as medic - having used either the Federov or Autoloading Marksman etc). Home flag and C seem to be key, with the occasional foray into the enemies home flag. B flag tends to be less interesting, mostly with people just sniping from opposing buildings. Brusilov feels mostly like a mid-range map, with the only close quarters combat being if you want to take the buildings either side of B. Still plenty of flank opportunities (either from B or C) to get to the enemies home flag. Plenty of sniper action too on that map with it being so open between the flags. It's small enough to not require too much running too, which is something you mention disliking a few times.

//
    I tend to find that those that complain the most about different maps are the ones that tend to not be able to adapt their gameplay, or because they themselves haven't yet worked out how to play those maps properly. They just want to play the one way they know how to play, meaning that when the conditions are against them they have bad games and/or sulk about the maps, rather than recognising that it may not be just the map design that's bad - it's their inflexibility in their gun-play or tactical thinking.

//
    Personally, I really like the Russian DLC (and the French DLC for that matter too), and only really play Conquest. I like that they both offer mixed styles of gameplay and most classes are viable. Some close(r) quarters (Tsaritsyn), some longer range (Galicia/Albion). Most tend to end up with medium range engagements with the enemy. I tend to run Medic as a main, but could easily run Assault or Support on almost all the maps (Vanilla or DLC). I don't really ever run Scout, but most maps seem to have plenty of them (usually prone in some far off location) and I've seen a few good snipers I know rack up good scores when they know how to play their class properly. I don't spend my time in vehicles either, nor play regularly with people who do, so can't comment on that at all.

//
    I don't mind Tsaritsyn as much as others perhaps do. Obviously holding B is key, along with your home flag. If the enemy gets B, and if they are too entrenched for you to be able to take it back, then flank to their home flag instead. Eventually enough will leave to defend it (and normally the more switched on players), meaning the remainder of your team can push B properly. The problem is when the whole team just sits outside B hoping that someone else will take it rather than storming it properly. It also has much less zurging than other maps (like Neville nights for example). People really undervalue a good flank IMHO.

//
    The map I like least (would go so far as to say I actively dislike it) is Galicia. It feels like its snipers and Artillery Trucks the whole time. And with it being so open and large, there's just so little active gun-play going on. Its just lots of running, then some ranged 1:1, then more running. For me, its just the frequency of any decent gun-play that makes me dislike this map rather than the design itself. Although, its also good to have a bit of variety too - I'm sure lots of snipers probably quite like it.
  • BaronVonGoon
    6664 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I thought it was good for my playstyke which is flank, run and gun. Even on the bigger maps Glaicia and Albion I switched to a BASR and run and gun worked well on those maps too as long as I kept my distance.

• WetFishDB
    I thought it was good for my playstyke which is flank, run and gun. Even on the bigger maps Glaicia and Albion I switched to a BASR and run and gun worked well on those maps too as long as I kept my distance.

Yeah, running around with a shotgun on some of those maps is going to be a bit frustrating, but as long as you can mix it up - like using the BAR on Support like you have, then it really doesn't stop most people playing in a way they enjoy.
  • TankGewehr1917
    1055 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The only guns I really use from it are the Fedorov and Parabellum. I dislike most maps apart from Volga River and Lupkow Pass, though Albion could be good if the Germans could win on it.