Unintended melee swings

Lowigi
55 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Hi,
I struggle a lot with unintended melee swings: in cqc, my guy starts swinging my melee weapon instead of shooting my gun. I think it is because I push the analogue stick in the heat of the fight. I hate this and my opponents must laugh themselves to death when they see me standing there, swinging my melee weapon 10 meters away from them. This happens at least 1-3 times a round and it drives me crazy.
How can I avoid this please, besides stop pushing the stick?

Thanks!

Comments

• SirTerrible
    1713 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Switch your controls so R3 is crouch instead of melee, then you'll start crouching by accident instead lol. Do that by switching soldier buttons from default to alternate. It'll make sliding while sprinting a lot harder though.
  • Lowigi
    Switch your controls so R3 is crouch instead of melee, then you'll start crouching by accident instead lol. Do that by switching soldier buttons from default to alternate. It'll make sliding while sprinting a lot harder though.

Thanks for the tip but I play with the controls set on southpaw, because I'm left-handed. I think I need to do a complete controls setup?
  • SirTerrible
    1713 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    There's a lefty alternate option too.
  • YOS123
    884 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    If you think you need to do extra tweaking to your control setting then you can go to options and then use the custom controller mapping and there switch the buttons around.
  • CanonFodder23
    353 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I do this a lot. So you're not the only one. The benefit is that sometimes you can do it accidentally and get a melee kill if someone creeps up on you.
  • BoogieMan-1978
    601 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited November 2017

I run this set up. it makes sliding much eaiser, not harder.
    Post edited by BoogieMan-1978 on
  • foxmuldertwobob
    124 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It has happened to me quite often and it has saved my butt many a time with a accidental melee kills,I have learned to live with it a mistaken push of a button can turn out well at times.
  • Lowigi
    Nice to read I'm not the only one suffering from this.
    And it's true, occasionaly it gives me an (unintended) melee kill as well, when the enemy is close enough.

The problem with customizing the conrols is: where do I put the melee button if I remove it from it's current position?
    Any suggestions?
  • Ronin9572
    1010 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

I use this controller set up, due to the same issue the Op was having. But I think it's so much easier to slide with the alternative set up. Also it just makes moving around easier since you don't have to take your thumb off the stick
  • BoogieMan-1978
    601 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Lowigi wrote: »
    And it's true, occasionaly it gives me an (unintended) melee kill as well, when the enemy is close enough.

The problem with customizing the conrols is: where do I put the melee button if I remove it from it's current position?
    Any suggestions?

The Circle button. Crouch goes to R3 and Mele goes to Circle. Dont forgwt to pit Bayonet Charge on Circle too.
  • SirTerrible

I run this set up. it makes sliding much eaiser, not harder.

I'd accidentally go prone instead of sliding because I'd push the button too hard when I used it. Oops.
  • Ploodovic
    1642 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Any suggestions?

The Circle button. Crouch goes to R3 and Mele goes to Circle. Dont forgwt to pit Bayonet Charge on Circle too.
    My problem is, that I often start a bayonet charge, when I want to melee, and melee when I want to charge. Recently, they introduced the option to hold, instead of click, for the charge, but I didn’t find that comfortable either. What do you guys and gals do? No one has this problem?
  • YOS123
    884 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    If you find yourself doing the bayonet charge without even wanting to do it you have 2 options. You change the setting to hold or remove the bayonet itself.
  • IamSoSorry59
    161 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    That"s how I got 600 plus accidental melee kills.
  • BoogieMan-1978
    Ploodovic wrote: »

Any suggestions?

My problem is, that I often start a bayonet charge, when I want to melee, and melee when I want to charge. Recently, they introduced the option to hold, instead of click, for the charge, but I didn’t find that comfortable either. What do you guys and gals do? No one has this problem?

R3 to Crouch / Slide. Press O for Mele, hold for Bayonet.

In the end you only have so many buttons on the controller to use. Something will be on R3 so you will have to work on not panic pressing it.

As for what goes where, thats a personal taste issue. I like crouch / slide on R3 so that t is eaiser to slide into cover. If you are not using the slide feature to reach cover or dodge incoming fire then you are doing yourself a huge disservice. I recomend trying it.
  • shaunlake1344
    547 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I swapped L1/L2 and R1/R2 (because it's what I'm used to) then swapped R3 with R2 in the playstaion options. So I melee with R2 and spot/throw stuff/orders and thank yous with R3. Means you spot people when you're blasting away instead of swinging a club about, much more helpful.
  • tytlyf33
    214 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Muscle reflexes, I do it often and have learned to correct it.