Can someone explain me packet loss...

Siiiiimi
99 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
... in plain english?

Im having a silly amount of packet loss today. For the 1st time in over 800hours played, bf1 is actually unplayable.

But what is packet loss? Is it on my end? Are there anything i can do about it? Is my isp just having a bad day? Do i just wait it out?

My ping is low as always (24-39).

Thanks !

Comments

• YOS123
    792 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    This video should explain the symbols what you see while you are playing.

• Siiiiimi
    Cheers
  • GRIZZ11283
    3311 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    What region are you, what servers do you play on?
  • Siiiiimi
    EU. I pretty much always quickmatch, so official servers i guess. But the issue seem to have resolved itself. Now its playable.

I have always struggled abit with packet loss tho. Despite being on a solid wired connection, and always below the average ping of other ppl, i get these packet loss at the most inconvenient of times. It happens a few times or more every session.

Was just curious as to why it happens and what i can do to reduce/remove it.
  • YOS123
    792 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    If you are at the moment using quickmatch then switch to the server browser so that you won't end up in out of region servers what could cause even more lag
  • Prep768
    2358 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    ^^^^ this

I have no idea why people are using quick match. I ended up on an oceana server using it - a far cry from Yorkshire!
  • VBALL_MVP
    4233 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Siiiiimi wrote: »
    ... in plain english?

Im having a silly amount of packet loss today. For the 1st time in over 800hours played, bf1 is actually unplayable.

But what is packet loss? Is it on my end? Are there anything i can do about it? Is my isp just having a bad day? Do i just wait it out?

My ping is low as always (24-39).

Thanks !

The video is helpful. In short packet loss is when data doesn't reach the intended computer. This usually happens from congested networks where routers can't handle the amount of traffic and essentially dumps the data.
  • VBALL_MVP
    4233 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    HuwJarz wrote: »
    Packet loss is like conversation with you wife.

It is great when things are going well and the sex is great. You listen to every word and follow every instruction
    After a few years, you develop a bit of packet loss as the sex dries up. You lose that intense listening skill and realise that occasionally that you have not done something that you were asked.
    After a few years more, comes sever packet loss. Yuu can see her lips move, but the brain (your network) is hearing only the occasion word as you nod and pretend you are listening. Nothing is getting through.

Does that help explain packet loss?

I enjoy this explanation more.
  • Imabaka70
    585 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »

It is great when things are going well and the sex is great. You listen to every word and follow every instruction
    After a few years, you develop a bit of packet loss as the sex dries up. You lose that intense listening skill and realise that occasionally that you have not done something that you were asked.
    After a few years more, comes sever packet loss. Yuu can see her lips move, but the brain (your network) is hearing only the occasion word as you nod and pretend you are listening. Nothing is getting through.

I enjoy this explanation more.

Oh I'm at the final stages of this being married 11years now.

Only my brain fills in the pieces I don't hear and usually it's hilariously inaccurate
  • GRIZZ11283
    3311 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

This has to be the best explanation you've ever given :lol:
  • xBigOrangeHeadx
    326 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    It's packet loss whenever you see a guy sliding around the map in the crouch position. The packet containing the data that he has stood up again got dropped before reaching your client. So subsequent positional data updates cause him to look like a knee slide master on your screen whilst on his, and possibly everyone else's, he's stood up.

Also is a large factor in those crazy moments where you get killed by someone not even looking at you on your screen.
  • HuwJarz
    2221 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    It's packet loss whenever you see a guy sliding around the map in the crouch position. The packet containing the data that he has stood up again got dropped before reaching your client. So subsequent positional data updates cause him to look like a knee slide master on your screen whilst on his, and possibly everyone else's, he's stood up.

Also is a large factor in those crazy moments where you get killed by someone not even looking at you on your screen.

That's ironic, because when I suffer packet loss, my wife very rarely crouches on her knees.....Perhaps my analogy was not so good after all. Damn.....