Hit Detection

Comments

• VBALL_MVP
    4233 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    mmarkweII wrote: »
    em1LL77 wrote: »
    A test app that was installed on my phone for me to monitor it

Not exactly sure how an app on your phone can monitor the ping of the specific server you're on. If you can actually ping the pingsite the server uses at the data center...it might be possible. But determining the exact pingsite for the server and having ICMP perms to ping it is a bit slim.

You should have a ping in the scoreboard. It updates every 5 seconds. Yet ping has zero value over all. It's latency you need to know. As noted above Ping is based on ICMP to a pingsite at the datacenter. That ICMP packet never touches the game server.

yet i do not understand that since forever all my bf games show the same number as the ping in the scoreboard when turning on the network graph witch should double that number because is the round trip? and now with the latest UI update i have the same fixed ping in the server browser for bf4 and bf1 on all servers... i guess is just anothe dice's magic :))

I'm pretty sure latency is being shown so the numbers should be the same when looking at the scoreboard and the netgraph (on console).

This
  • CurvedTax769796
    106 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    At 0715 latency varied for all players ranging from a low of 20 to high of 513. My range was from 43 up to 79 but was continually changing throughout gameplay
  • VBALL_MVP
    4233 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    At 0715 latency varied for all players ranging from a low of 20 to high of 513. My range was from 43 up to 79 but was continually changing throughout gameplay

I would contact your ISP, maybe they can monitor your line to see any issues.
  • CurvedTax769796
    Actually doing that today
  • Rev0verDrive
    6105 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Not exactly sure how an app on your phone can monitor the ping of the specific server you're on. If you can actually ping the pingsite the server uses at the data center...it might be possible. But determining the exact pingsite for the server and having ICMP perms to ping it is a bit slim.

You should have a ping in the scoreboard. It updates every 5 seconds. Yet ping has zero value over all. It's latency you need to know. As noted above Ping is based on ICMP to a pingsite at the datacenter. That ICMP packet never touches the game server.

yet i do not understand that since forever all my bf games show the same number as the ping in the scoreboard when turning on the network graph witch should double that number because is the round trip? and now with the latest UI update i have the same fixed ping in the server browser for bf4 and bf1 on all servers... i guess is just anothe dice's magic :))

ICMP (type 8) is low priority. Some networks shuffle ICMP to the bottom of the pile when routing. UDP is high priority.

It's possible to have a latency lower than your ping. Ping is just a simple handshake, no data processing. Latency on the other hand accounts for processing time.

UTT (client -> Server) + datagram processing + UTT (server -> Client)

Because ICMP is low priority its round trip time can be bloated vs what it would be if it was slated as high priority.

In a perfect world your Latency should only be 1-3ms higher than Ping. The gained delay of UDP would be the processing of the datagram on the server end.

Let's not forget that ICMP ping packets never actually touch the game server. They are routed to a ping site at the datacenter housing the game servers physical box.
  • Rev0verDrive
    6105 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

If everybody's latency was varying, then the last leg (hop) to the datacenter could be the fault.
  • CurvedTax769796
    Everybody's latency has been varying for the past couple of days or so. I'm watching it happen on the screen right now
  • VBALL_MVP

If everybody's latency was varying, then the last leg (hop) to the datacenter could be the fault.

Or a couple hops back as what has been happening on Dutch servers and ntt.net
  • em1LL77
    77 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

ICMP (type 8) is low priority. Some networks shuffle ICMP to the bottom of the pile when routing. UDP is high priority.

It's possible to have a latency lower than your ping. Ping is just a simple handshake, no data processing. Latency on the other hand accounts for processing time.

Because ICMP is low priority its round trip time can be bloated vs what it would be if it was slated as high priority.

In a perfect world your Latency should only be 1-3ms higher than Ping. The gained delay of UDP would be the processing of the datagram on the server end.

Let's not forget that ICMP ping packets never actually touch the game server. They are routed to a ping site at the datacenter housing the game servers physical box.

thx for the explanation. i know the ICMP don't get to the actual server where game is hosted. its interesting what you said that my latency on the netgraph is exactly between those 1 to 4 ms number more that the ping on the server browser or exactly the same. the only problem i have with all bf titles is that the lag comp is too forgiving with players with bad connections...is frustrating to see other players action on my screen too late because of their lag on server or pocket loss or ping fluctuations. how can the server process my input actions when i'm always put in queue to wait for the crap connection player to send his data? the game never feels snappy for me only on very rare occasions when i play late night and the servers are not populated by high pingers . you can see videos with players with all the freakin network issue icons lighting on their screens but they wreck everybody in their way and that s because the lag comp is doing everything for them...they don't seem affected at all by the bad connection they have.
    i'm not saying that they dont need to enjoy the game but the problem is dice should fine tune the "netcode" to please everyone who bought this games,not to encourage the occasional player with crap connection that will mess up everybody's experience on the servers..just to balance it somewhere in between as it is now.they are working with this engine for a long time now,i don't think that will be such a hard task to do...
  • VBALL_MVP

thx for the explanation. i know the ICMP don't get to the actual server where game is hosted. its interesting what you said that my latency on the netgraph is exactly between those 1 to 4 ms number more that the ping on the server browser or exactly the same. the only problem i have with all bf titles is that the lag comp is too forgiving with players with bad connections...is frustrating to see other players action on my screen too late because of their lag on server or pocket loss or ping fluctuations. how can the server process my input actions when i'm always put in queue to wait for the crap connection player to send his data? the game never feels snappy for me only on very rare occasions when i play late night and the servers are not populated by high pingers . you can see videos with players with all the freakin network issue icons lighting on their screens but they wreck everybody in their way and that s because the lag comp is doing everything for them...they don't seem affected at all by the bad connection they have.
    i'm not saying that they dont need to enjoy the game but the problem is dice should fine tune the "netcode" to please everyone who bought this games,not to encourage the occasional player with crap connection that will mess up everybody's experience on the servers..just to balance it somewhere in between as it is now.they are working with this engine for a long time now,i don't think that will be such a hard task to do...

Have you tried playing with a bad connection or high ping? I can assure you that if you try it you won't be wrecking anyone.

The lag comp has been changing dramatically as well as how hit detection works for high ping (server side now).

You don't sit in a queue while the server waits for a high pinger. The server doesn't wait for anyone....if you don't send your data in the required time the server just puts "null" in your data and moves on. This is why if you have packetloss or high ping you get OHKed because the data you get is bundled in one pack.

I suggest you watch HuwJarz's video he posted here with a bad connection....you will see these features work against him.
  • rock1obsta
    3437 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »

Have you tried playing with a bad connection or high ping? I can assure you that if you try it you won't be wrecking anyone.

The lag comp has been changing dramatically as well as how hit detection works for high ping (server side now).

You don't sit in a queue while the server waits for a high pinger. The server doesn't wait for anyone....if you don't send your data in the required time the server just puts "null" in your data and moves on. This is why if you have packetloss or high ping you get OHKed because the data you get is bundled in one pack.

I suggest you watch HuwJarz's video he posted here with a bad connection....you will see these features work against him.

I hope this is true. If they can completely eliminate high ping advantage that would be a huge step in the right direction.

I still think your connection(good or bad) should only impact your experience and nobody else's, but alas, pipe dreams methinks.
  • CurvedTax769796
    Playing this morning I continually watched the latency screen. A couple of things I noticed was that all of the leaders for both teams had latencies above 100 and the majority of people who killed me had a latency from 25 to over 200 more than my 46. Could this explain some of the issues I'm having? I had one incident this morning that I repeatedly hit a guy that was crouching with my club, finally the window pops showing I killed him and while the window is still on the screen he stands up and kills me. I checked latency immediately, I was at 46 he was at 105
  • Rev0verDrive

As @VBALL_MVP stated your input data (client -> server) never sits in a queue. It's processed and the simulation is updated immediately on a separate layer.

BF uses "Rewind Time" for lag compensation.
  • digga11
    302 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

As @VBALL_MVP stated your input data (client -> server) never sits in a queue. It's processed and the simulation is updated immediately on a separate layer.

Could you please explain rewind time if possible.
    Your knowledge and the great way you explain it are interesting to read. So from me thanks.
  • em1LL77
    77 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

lol
  • em1LL77

than it rewinds too much for the lagger or too little for the good connection :)
  • Rev0verDrive
    digga11 wrote:
    Could you please explain rewind time if possible.
    Your knowledge and the great way you explain it are interesting to read. So from me thanks.

Already explained in previous posts throughout this thread. Latest example ...
    https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/comment/1062267/#Comment_1062267

Here's the TLDR Quick and Dirty version.

Hit claim arrives at the server (receival time: 12:00:00:081). Server processes the datagram (from who, shot who, what weapon, shot fired when, physics... etc).

trigger time: 12:00:00:000

Server calculates the length of buffer. Receive time - Trigger Time = 81ms (12:00:00:081 - 12:00:00:000)

Server buffers into memory the entire game simulation from 12:00:00:000 to 12:00:00:081.
    Server now fires a shot from the shooters weapon in the direction the shooter is facing.
    It checks for collision of the bullet object at each frame up until collision with any object or the end of the buffer is reached...simulation (arbitration) ends.

If it hasn't hit the claimed target the simulation is ended and the hit denied. Otherwise damage is calculated based on where it hit (head,torso, arm, leg, foot etc.) range at which it hit (damage drop off), velocity of hit etc. A response is generated for both the shooter and target and one for the killfeed.
  • em1LL77

actually i had ... one of many isp's i ve changed with the hope that it will change this games online experience(but didn't) had some maintenance works one day and my connection was simply crap,lower speeds than my usual,pocket loss ,etc...and i even posted a video in here showing that my ping during that day was much lower in the netgraph than usual and as on the scoreboard and the main funny (not) fact was that every time someone was shooting directly at me , it was taking much much longer time to kill me as normal or not killing me at all because their hits didn t register . at least that was happening from my perspective... the thing with the server putting me in "queue" was the simplest word to describe what i see in the game world to say so from my point of view. the only question i have is why some players have a great experience in the game,witch theoretically shouldn't and others according to the laws of physics should definitely have a better one because of their setup transmitting data more often and much better? and i remember even revOverDrive stated on one of my posts in this thread where i was explaining my rig, my internet speed and my network settings witch are set to the lowest imput lag possible,that my isssue is the other players lag,to put it that simple..now i know this is normal in any fps game due to how lag compensation works,but in this game,for me and still many others out there the problem is too obvious in how the "netcode" is set up
  • i_Goof_i
    453 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Anyone know how to unfollow a thread so you don't get a flood of notifications? Like this one for example.
  • MayorMarionBarry
    1372 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    i_Goof_i wrote: »
    Anyone know how to unfollow a thread so you don't get a flood of notifications? Like this one for example.

There is a star on the upper right hand of the thread. Click it.