Hit Detection

Comments

• LeonReed123
    82 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I can honestly tell you now that having the lowest latency on a server with next to no fluctuation and zero warning icons does not give any advantage nor does it play as it should. Now I have probably under 3% if that ever played on a server were my latency was the average or most other players were close to mine so I cant comment on that. Having however played a fair few hours with all the above and the average latency at least 2 - 3 x mine the game varies from manageable up to broken. I have absolutely no idea if its other people having an effect on the server as mentioned in previous posts etc all I know is my setup is fine and I am showing a good stable latency so why is the game so garbage so much of the time for people like myself?

Again your going on about high ping well what you described is exactly what I have been getting for months with the lowest latency on the server and as I said its not bouncing around.

Just out of interest I have played out of region and didn't find any advantage...however maybe I was ruining someones game on the server with the lowest latency who knows but its food for thought and this is just not right. Way to many people complaining of the same thing and as I have said in reality low latency should be having the best experience not vice versa. Have you ever considered that compensation is being used to penalize low latency so they dont have an advantage.
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I can honestly tell you now that having the lowest latency on a server with next to no fluctuation and zero warning icons does not give any advantage nor does it play as it should. Now I have probably under 3% if that ever played on a server were my latency was the average or most other players were close to mine so I cant comment on that. Having however played a fair few hours with all the above and the average latency at least 2 - 3 x mine the game varies from manageable up to broken. I have absolutely no idea if its other people having an effect on the server as mentioned in previous posts etc all I know is my setup is fine and I am showing a good stable latency so why is the game so garbage so much of the time for people like myself?

Again your going on about high ping well what you described is exactly what I have been getting for months with the lowest latency on the server and as I said its not bouncing around.

Just out of interest I have played out of region and didn't find any advantage...however maybe I was ruining someones game on the server with the lowest latency who knows but its food for thought and this is just not right. Way to many people complaining of the same thing and as I have said in reality low latency should be having the best experience not vice versa. Have you ever considered that compensation is being used to penalize low latency so they dont have an advantage.

No I don't think compensation is used to penalize low latency. In fact the lower my latency the better the game plays. Even playing a west coast server (latency at 67ms) I can notice the degradation of the gameplay compared to east (25ms).

I don't have issues killing high pingers or low pingers on am east coast server. As I stated before I was able to play in the morning where the servers have been full of people +100ms and still have had no issues playing and dominating. I would have loved to see how their deaths looked on their screen...
    I can only assume it looks similar to when I played with high latency, unloading a magazine only to die in one frame.
  • Ram1c
    4167 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »
    I am not talking about latency fluctuation. According to the previous posts in this thread having a difference of 3 or more ticks in latency can cause issues. So irrespective of fluctuation which can happen at any level of latency ( think I am right in saying it is worse for higher latency as the fluctuation figures are higher than with lower ) having a server with large gaps between latencies is going to have a detrimental effect on some players on that server in the respect that the game feels unfair to them. For an example with hit loading when you think you have been 1 shot but in fact the other player had seen you before you could of seen them. Again I am going from reading previous posts and probably not using the right terms but I believe it corresponds to what has been said and basically agreed on already in this thread.

But that is why the the compensation was designed in favor for low latency. That and server side hit detection.

This is why when playing with high lag or packet loss you will get hit around corners, experience ohks, and put bullets in someone and not have them register (cause the server said your me dead already). All of these are experiences against those with high ping.

Again try playing with 200 ping yourself.

Lol I have a stable ping of 30ms, no variation, no packetloss, and get one hit killed (bundled damage) all the time by people with high pings. My connection is as stable as can be, has been running perfect for 10 plus years, and I play on Oceania servers with an Aussie friend all the time.

I don't have any problems getting MVP in those matches, there certainly isn't much disadvantage to playing with high ping as long as your ping isn't flying up and down other than having to lead your shots. The only real problem when playing with high ping is guessing which direction the enemy is moving when he's standing still on your screen.
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Ram1c wrote: »
    I am not talking about latency fluctuation. According to the previous posts in this thread having a difference of 3 or more ticks in latency can cause issues. So irrespective of fluctuation which can happen at any level of latency ( think I am right in saying it is worse for higher latency as the fluctuation figures are higher than with lower ) having a server with large gaps between latencies is going to have a detrimental effect on some players on that server in the respect that the game feels unfair to them. For an example with hit loading when you think you have been 1 shot but in fact the other player had seen you before you could of seen them. Again I am going from reading previous posts and probably not using the right terms but I believe it corresponds to what has been said and basically agreed on already in this thread.

But that is why the the compensation was designed in favor for low latency. That and server side hit detection.

This is why when playing with high lag or packet loss you will get hit around corners, experience ohks, and put bullets in someone and not have them register (cause the server said your me dead already). All of these are experiences against those with high ping.

Lol I have a stable ping of 30ms, no variation, no packetloss, and get one hit killed (bundled damage) all the time by people with high pings. My connection is as stable as can be, has been running perfect for 10 plus years, and I play on Oceania servers with an Aussie friend all the time.

I don't have any problems getting MVP in those matches, there certainly isn't much disadvantage to playing with high ping as long as your ping isn't flying up and down other than having to lead your shots. The only real problem when playing with high ping is guessing which direction the enemy is moving when he's standing still on your screen.

So you're saying there is a problem.

Internet running perfect for 10 years....i would buy stock in that company.
  • Ram1c
    4167 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Lmfao would you like me to post my dsl reports results? There obviously is a problem when one of my best buddies has Verizon fios, basically lives right next to the servers, has a ping of 11ms, and experiences the same bs. Did you ever stop and think that maybe your the one with the crap internet with a bunch of buffer bloat and you're just lagging everyone out lol?

The game has actually been working quite good for me recently hit detection wise, but it still doesn't change the fact that when shooting at someone with a high or unstable ping with low ping, on in region servers, that bullets will literally disappear and bundles damage will happen quite often. Every person I know experiences this in our servers, there is really no way to deny this, especially when devs and people like rev lay out the science to explain it.
  • VBALL_MVP

Lmfao would you like me to post my dsl reports results? There obviously is a problem when one of my best buddies has Verizon fios, basically lives right next to the servers, has a ping of 11ms, and experiences the same bs. Did you ever stop and think that maybe your the one with the crap internet with a bunch of buffer bloat and you're just lagging everyone out lol?

The game has actually been working quite good for me recently hit detection wise, but it still doesn't change the fact that when shooting at someone with a high or unstable ping with low ping, on in region servers, that bullets will literally disappear and bundles damage will happen quite often. Every person I know experiences this in our servers, there is really no way to deny this, especially when devs and people like rev lay out the science to explain it.

Dslreports can only give you a small piece of the story. Last time I checked the location of the dslreport speed servers are not in the same room of BF1 servers so you are not testing your route. Also ISPs prioritize speed tests so not going tell you how long term traffic effects your network or if your ISP uses "bursting". Just like how Verizon finally admitted to throttling Netflix traffic.

DSL reports will show you though if your router suffers from bufferbloat....but won't show you how well your route to BF1 is (btw dslreports have me a A+ so based by your standards I dont have crap internet either).

Verizon is far from perfect. Few years back Verizon had a bad route that effected people in New York state playing PlanetSide2. The recent issues with Level3 also would have effected many people playing online...even Verizon networks.

• Ram1c

Dslreports can only give you a small piece of the story. Last time I checked the location of the dslreport speed servers are not in the same room of BF1 servers so you are not testing your route. Also ISPs prioritize speed tests so not going tell you how long term traffic effects your network or if your ISP uses "bursting". Just like how Verizon finally admitted to throttling Netflix traffic.

DSL reports will show you though if your router suffers from bufferbloat....but won't show you how well your route to BF1 is (btw dslreports have me a A+ so based by your standards I dont have crap internet either).

Verizon is far from perfect. Few years back Verizon had a bad route that effected people in New York state playing PlanetSide2. The recent issues with Level3 also would have effected many people playing online...even Verizon networks.

Then explain to me why all my friends and I had such a great experience playing when the server side hit detection cap was at 100ms. My connection is as stable as it gets, I haven't had packet loss since the spring patch, and the only time questionable things happen is when the server performance icon is on my screen. Which coincidentally only shows up when the server I'm playing on is rampant with high pingers lol.

Trust me I'm one of the first people to call out bad isps, but this isn't the case. I've hounded my isp for years and since I have not had one problem with packet routing, plus the fact that I live close to where the servers are, and the fact that I live in a state that has a pretty damn good network grid. This all boils down to the evil of lag compensation being abused so companies like ea can sell more games, if you honestly don't think so then go play gears 4 and tell me I'm wrong.

Oh yeah I forgot to add, you can talk about verizon all you want, but the fact is they own a great majority of the network grids being used in the country by all isps. The only company that has a better service is google and that's just because it's such a small portion of the market lol.
  • CurvedTax769796
    146 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I can vouch for the part about Verizon. I have family members who work for them and they've all said the same thing about other providers paying Verizon to use their network grids
  • VBALL_MVP
    edited December 2017

Then explain to me why all my friends and I had such a great experience playing when the server side hit detection cap was at 100ms. My connection is as stable as it gets, I haven't had packet loss since the spring patch, and the only time questionable things happen is when the server performance icon is on my screen. Which coincidentally only shows up when the server I'm playing on is rampant with high pingers lol.

Trust me I'm one of the first people to call out bad isps, but this isn't the case. I've hounded my isp for years and since I have not had one problem with packet routing, plus the fact that I live close to where the servers are, and the fact that I live in a state that has a pretty damn good network grid. This all boils down to the evil of lag compensation being abused so companies like ea can sell more games, if you honestly don't think so then go play gears 4 and tell me I'm wrong.

Oh yeah I forgot to add, you can talk about verizon all you want, but the fact is they own a great majority of the network grids being used in the country by all isps. The only company that has a better service is google and that's just because it's such a small portion of the market lol.

The 100ms patch wasn't up long enough for anyone to make judgement. We all have seen how people have praised patches in the past only to poo poo them 3 weeks later.

Oh and as for Verizon owning a great majority...bigger is not better (but they are not the biggest). They also sit in a far distant #4 in terms of subscribers, so clearly some room for improvement.
    Post edited by EA_DarDar on
  • CurvedTax769796
    That's got me thinking. I have an Xbox1 in our home in Idaho with Cable 1 as our provider while my Xbox1 in Southern California has Spectrum as our provider yet I experience the same issues in both locations. Meanwhile while in Nashville where Hughes is the ISP the issues, although present, were not as prevelent as the other 2 locations. Must indicate something but I don't know enough to know what
  • VBALL_MVP
    That's got me thinking. I have an Xbox1 in our home in Idaho with Cable 1 as our provider while my Xbox1 in Southern California has Spectrum as our provider yet I experience the same issues in both locations. Meanwhile while in Nashville where Hughes is the ISP the issues, although present, were not as prevelent as the other 2 locations. Must indicate something but I don't know enough to know what

Could be a numbers of different things. For example if you try to get to dutch BF1 servers from outside of the Netherlands you most likely will have isssues. NTT.net, main route into the country, has had issues...some very smart PC guys went through all the pain to locate the node.

It's hard to trace stuff on console because you can't have all the tools to sniff packets and stuff right at your fingertips. If we could it make troubleshooting a whole lot easier.
  • CurvedTax769796
    I'm amazed at all the things they can do. As fact as technology developes it's been a long road since the days of the first Xbox
  • Ram1c
    lizzard wrote: »

You know.. This is like the montephyton sketch with the dead parrot!
    And you are the guy trying to convince us that the dead parrot is actually alive..

Seriously.. Seek professional help, we're getting worried about you. :neutral:

No need for name calling. If this is over your head or you don't have anything of substance to say, you should just not post.

The 100ms patch wasn't up long enough for anyone to make judgement. We all have seen how people have praised patches in the past only to poo poo them 3 weeks later.

Oh and as for Verizon owning a great majority...bigger is not better (but they are not the biggest). They also sit in a far distant #4 in terms of subscribers, so clearly some room for improvement.

It was enough for me seeing is how all my shots would register perfectly, I didn't get bundled damage, and the fact that players with insanely unstable ping didn't appear out of thin air and waste me with one shot lol.

As for Verizon, I never claimed that bigger is better, you obviously misunderstood. They own most of the network, so other isps use their network, which means Verizon is mostly responsible for most internet traffic. Their actual amount of accounts within their own service is irrelevant, they own a majority of the internet and telecommunications grid, meaning they are most of the net. It's funny you're trying to argue against me as if I have verizon as my isp. :D
  • Rev0verDrive
    6761 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Just to be clear the RSP 100ms Ping limit/Kick option is set to emulate the Spring 100ms Threshold Patch.

Just saying!

Anything beyond a 3 tick offset has an effect. Simple, elementary math shows it... The devs have acknowledged it... Multiple studio's/producers have validated it.
  • Ram1c
    Just to be clear the RSP 100ms Ping limit/Kick option is set to emulate the Spring 100ms Threshold Patch.

Just saying!

Anything beyond a 3 tick offset has an effect. Simple, elementary math shows it... The devs have acknowledged it... Multiple studio's/producers have validated it.

It's sad too because rsps can barely keep their servers full so running it is pretty much a death sentence for your server population.
  • misisipiRivrRat
    1004 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

And you are the guy trying to convince us that the dead parrot is actually alive..

No need for name calling. If this is over your head or you don't have anything of substance to say, you should just not post.

It was enough for me seeing is how all my shots would register perfectly, I didn't get bundled damage, and the fact that players with insanely unstable ping didn't appear out of thin air and waste me with one shot lol.

As for Verizon, I never claimed that bigger is better, you obviously misunderstood. They own most of the network, so other isps use their network, which means Verizon is mostly responsible for most internet traffic. Their actual amount of accounts within their own service is irrelevant, they own a majority of the internet and telecommunications grid, meaning they are most of the net. It's funny you're trying to argue against me as if I have verizon as my isp. :D

I remember when that patch dropped, I hadn't played in awhile at that time. A friend called and asked if I wanted to play some bf1. After a couple of matches I commented on how good the game felt, and he mentioned a patch was rolled out just hours ago. Oh that patch was out long enough to notice the difference. That was a glorious week of bf!
    @vbalmvp, didn't you have issues with that patch? I thought you had posted negative comments? Or maybe shortly after, maybe not.
  • misisipiRivrRat
    1004 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Oh c'mon, what do you mean the 100ms patch wasn't up long enough for anyone to make judgement ? I did, thousands of others did , and even you did. Page 122 of this thread your judgement was negative.
    That patch was up long enough.
  • VBALL_MVP
    edited December 2017

I remember when that patch dropped, I hadn't played in awhile at that time. A friend called and asked if I wanted to play some bf1. After a couple of matches I commented on how good the game felt, and he mentioned a patch was rolled out just hours ago. Oh that patch was out long enough to notice the difference. That was a glorious week of bf!
    @vbalmvp, didn't you have issues with that patch? I thought you had posted negative comments? Or maybe shortly after, maybe not.

No it was the third patch after that I had negative comments. They fixed those in the fourth patch.

The 100ms patch was only up for 2 weeks and then was changed. I even said back then I didn't have the opportunity to play the 100ms patch, I got back on when they put in the hotfix. I think you need to re-read what I wrote back then.

If you look at page 119 you will see the Twitter post from t1ggr saying they raised it so this was all post 100ms patch.
  • misisipiRivrRat

No it was the third patch after that I had negative comments. They fixed those in the fourth patch.

The 100ms patch was only up for 2 weeks and then was changed. I even said back then I didn't have the opportunity to play the 100ms patch, I got back on when they put in the hotfix. I think you need to re-read what I wrote back then.

If you look at page 119 you will see the Twitter post from t1ggr saying they raised it so this was all post 100ms patch.

Yeah I see that.
  • VBALL_MVP

Yeah I see that.

But it does show I do call out issues when I see them.