Hit Detection

Comments

• VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »
    denjoga wrote: »
    Variant and lossy connections (especially at high latencies) will obviously have a negative impact in synchronized simulations, especially if those simulations are around 30-60hz.

A negative impact on whom?
    Only themselves, or players in their server with stable, low latency connections?

This is not baiting or sarcasm - I'm trying to get to the bottom of an issue that many people have many different opinions on.

Either people with poor connections have a negative impact on other players in the server or they don't.
    I'd just like to know the truth of the matter.

They do.

Any hiccup in the data stream can interrupt how a laggy player is presented in motion, directional changes are often presented incorrectly, the extrapolation exaggerates momentum/accel, any rapid directional changes for lossy connections look plainly incorrect for those with good connections, and an observant eye. The more latency the high pinger has, the more incorrect the representation on other clients.

Data interruption can also cause late bullets to be given to a lowly latent client instantly, instead of properly paced (that's why the suppression stacking change is so awesome for low pingers). Until now, this created situations where low pingers could literally get held in place waiting to die, with no chance to fairly respond.

Data interruption can allow a high pinger to find, shoot, and kill a low ping player before the high ping player is even seen on the other clients.

A perfectly stable high ping connection does not negatively impact much other than position representation and combat synchronization (these are massively important factors to be augmenting in a fast fps game). Unfortunately a huge majority of high ping players also suffer from much worse networking symptoms, such as latency variation and packet loss, making the issues exponentially worse.

Obviously having a bad connection will not give you an optimal gameplay experience, BUT for the sake of fairness if the poor connection is allowed into the server that player should also be represented equally on the more correct lowly latent stable clients.

Sorry vballmvp , this is the one I meant to post.

Data interruption can happen to anyone. I have played were my connection was bad thanks to my ISP. They game did not play to my favor and did not make it difficult for others including my clanmates to kill me with ease.

The statement that people with higher ping will suffer from worse networking symptoms is not a factual statement. Just cause one has higher ping doesn't mean they have any more of a chance to have network instability than low ping. In fact, there can be less hops for a person out of region than a person in region....this, on top of those routes could potentially have less traffic means they may have a more stable connection than the in regioner.

You played with 179ms latency....i wish you put the netgraph on since I found it unusual to not see icons at that latency, but I didn't see you having any advatage or the enemy having any hard time killing you.. As for winning mire fights than normal....thats subjective.

Icons did pop up a few times during the match, the one with the clock symbol. Have it written down what that means , but I'm outside in the garage. I'm sure you know what that symbol means anyway.
    Now how about the part in the video where I take out the horse and rider? In slow mo I don't even hit the rider, or not that I can tell. And is it normal to be past the enemy when knifing and still get the kill? I don't think I've ever seen that on my end. And what about starting the bayonet charge in that clip? How was I able to cancel it. Believe me, there have been many times when I've missed during a charge and would like to cancel it but can't. Anywho, point being that you can play well with high ping. And I never once used a lmg or camped in that match.

You killed the horse which kills the player. That's why you got the horse killed at the bottom. Knife has the largest takedown cone. The bigger the weapon the smaller the cone, which means you have to be closer and more directly behind them for the takedown. The charge, I get cancelled quite often....espically when you hit something...like you did with the stairs in the clip before you hit the wall and it cancelled.

Ok, after doing some research and reading your explanation I get the horse kill. But I'm going to disagree on the first knife kill. I just finished looking at it over and over, fast and slow. Without a doubt the enemy has run past me and I'm just standing there with the knife in hand. Next instant I'm stabbing him. Did that happen because of my high ping? Guess I'll never know. But I've taken my share of tags and I've never had that happen, but then I'm always playing in region .

That's the key, he ran past you. You then knifed which was in the cone causing the animation. I've done it before, should it happen...i don't think so but that's issues with coding. Just like how it may take 3 tries to finally jump over a 2ft wall in this game.
  • CurvedTax769796
    146 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    What King Tolapsium wrote pretty much describes what I experience
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

You should really post your vids.
  • misisipiRivrRat
    1004 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Variant and lossy connections (especially at high latencies) will obviously have a negative impact in synchronized simulations, especially if those simulations are around 30-60hz.

Only themselves, or players in their server with stable, low latency connections?

This is not baiting or sarcasm - I'm trying to get to the bottom of an issue that many people have many different opinions on.

Either people with poor connections have a negative impact on other players in the server or they don't.

They do.

Any hiccup in the data stream can interrupt how a laggy player is presented in motion, directional changes are often presented incorrectly, the extrapolation exaggerates momentum/accel, any rapid directional changes for lossy connections look plainly incorrect for those with good connections, and an observant eye. The more latency the high pinger has, the more incorrect the representation on other clients.

Data interruption can also cause late bullets to be given to a lowly latent client instantly, instead of properly paced (that's why the suppression stacking change is so awesome for low pingers). Until now, this created situations where low pingers could literally get held in place waiting to die, with no chance to fairly respond.

Data interruption can allow a high pinger to find, shoot, and kill a low ping player before the high ping player is even seen on the other clients.

A perfectly stable high ping connection does not negatively impact much other than position representation and combat synchronization (these are massively important factors to be augmenting in a fast fps game). Unfortunately a huge majority of high ping players also suffer from much worse networking symptoms, such as latency variation and packet loss, making the issues exponentially worse.

Obviously having a bad connection will not give you an optimal gameplay experience, BUT for the sake of fairness if the poor connection is allowed into the server that player should also be represented equally on the more correct lowly latent stable clients.

Data interruption can happen to anyone. I have played were my connection was bad thanks to my ISP. They game did not play to my favor and did not make it difficult for others including my clanmates to kill me with ease.

The statement that people with higher ping will suffer from worse networking symptoms is not a factual statement. Just cause one has higher ping doesn't mean they have any more of a chance to have network instability than low ping. In fact, there can be less hops for a person out of region than a person in region....this, on top of those routes could potentially have less traffic means they may have a more stable connection than the in regioner.

You played with 179ms latency....i wish you put the netgraph on since I found it unusual to not see icons at that latency, but I didn't see you having any advatage or the enemy having any hard time killing you.. As for winning mire fights than normal....thats subjective.

Icons did pop up a few times during the match, the one with the clock symbol. Have it written down what that means , but I'm outside in the garage. I'm sure you know what that symbol means anyway.
    Now how about the part in the video where I take out the horse and rider? In slow mo I don't even hit the rider, or not that I can tell. And is it normal to be past the enemy when knifing and still get the kill? I don't think I've ever seen that on my end. And what about starting the bayonet charge in that clip? How was I able to cancel it. Believe me, there have been many times when I've missed during a charge and would like to cancel it but can't. Anywho, point being that you can play well with high ping. And I never once used a lmg or camped in that match.

You killed the horse which kills the player. That's why you got the horse killed at the bottom. Knife has the largest takedown cone. The bigger the weapon the smaller the cone, which means you have to be closer and more directly behind them for the takedown. The charge, I get cancelled quite often....espically when you hit something...like you did with the stairs in the clip before you hit the wall and it cancelled.

Ok, after doing some research and reading your explanation I get the horse kill. But I'm going to disagree on the first knife kill. I just finished looking at it over and over, fast and slow. Without a doubt the enemy has run past me and I'm just standing there with the knife in hand. Next instant I'm stabbing him. Did that happen because of my high ping? Guess I'll never know. But I've taken my share of tags and I've never had that happen, but then I'm always playing in region .

That's the key, he ran past you. You then knifed which was in the cone causing the animation. I've done it before, should it happen...i don't think so but that's issues with coding. Just like how it may take 3 tries to finally jump over a 2ft wall in this game.

But I still don't like it. I wasn't even looking at him and I got the kill. Countless times while playing I've tried knifing from the front and I get nothing except maybe myself killed.
    So I still wonder why this particular match made me so successful with melee kills when I wasn't even trying.
  • juhmu
    224 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

Here's some vid of me in a server, I don't know where but I had 179ms. Don't think it gave me any advantage, but it was smooth gameplay, no issues at all. I seemed to win every knife fight too.
    In the first clip you can hear as I activate bayonet charge but it just cuts off and I get the kill.
    In the next clip I'm prone and I don't understand how this dude has any angle on me, but ok.
    Next clip I have my knife out and it looks like I run right past the enemy, thats how it felt to me. But I still get the kill!
    In the next longer scene, again the enemy is past me yet I'm able to knife him. Then after I shoot at the guy on the horse they take off then come at me in that corner. I've looked numerous times in slo-mo and it looks like I only hit the horse one or two times but not the rider yet another kill for me. Advantage? What do you guys think?
    The next clip I'm thinking maybe this guy was just bad, but I do know it's rare I come out on the winning end in these situations. Plus it was even another melee kill in the match. And as I run into the room along that wall, notice he comes in and runs to where I was moments ago, is it possible he thinks he sees me there? Wish he was recording too so we could see his side.
    Then the last clip. Does it show a disadvantage for me? I clearly hit him but then the kill cam shows him at %100 health. Plus it usually takes 3 hits to kill when I use that weapon.
    Anyway thanks for any thoughts.

Okei, first and last knife kill is panic stabbing and its normal kill but these two are laggy melee kills. Player run past you on the doorway but your client thinks he is front of you and last is takedown animation from behind even though he ran past you? So those are laggy melee kills because knifing happens on client side not server side because melee weapons are using smallest takedown cone in this game :D But this last death is interesting because this game dont have headshot multiplier but still he can make 64 damage by Cei-Rigotti (Max damage 38) and you get enemy hit 36 but killcam shows full health. So, yet again we have buggy killcams from BF3/4, OHK bug or server rejects clear hits..
  • VBALL_MVP
    juhmu wrote: »
    Here's some vid of me in a server, I don't know where but I had 179ms. Don't think it gave me any advantage, but it was smooth gameplay, no issues at all. I seemed to win every knife fight too.
    In the first clip you can hear as I activate bayonet charge but it just cuts off and I get the kill.
    In the next clip I'm prone and I don't understand how this dude has any angle on me, but ok.
    Next clip I have my knife out and it looks like I run right past the enemy, thats how it felt to me. But I still get the kill!
    In the next longer scene, again the enemy is past me yet I'm able to knife him. Then after I shoot at the guy on the horse they take off then come at me in that corner. I've looked numerous times in slo-mo and it looks like I only hit the horse one or two times but not the rider yet another kill for me. Advantage? What do you guys think?
    The next clip I'm thinking maybe this guy was just bad, but I do know it's rare I come out on the winning end in these situations. Plus it was even another melee kill in the match. And as I run into the room along that wall, notice he comes in and runs to where I was moments ago, is it possible he thinks he sees me there? Wish he was recording too so we could see his side.
    Then the last clip. Does it show a disadvantage for me? I clearly hit him but then the kill cam shows him at %100 health. Plus it usually takes 3 hits to kill when I use that weapon.
    Anyway thanks for any thoughts.

Okei, first and last knife kill is panic stabbing and its normal kill but these two are laggy melee kills. Player run past you on the doorway but your client thinks he is front of you and last is takedown animation from behind even though he ran past you? So those are laggy melee kills because knifing happens on client side not server side because melee weapons are using smallest takedown cone in this game :D But this last death is interesting because this game dont have headshot multiplier but still he can make 64 damage by Cei-Rigotti (Max damage 38) and you get enemy hit 36 but killcam shows full health. So, yet again we have buggy killcams from BF3/4, OHK bug or server rejects clear hits..

No, the game does have a headshot multiplier. It's just not as high as previous titles.

As for the knife we will just agree to disagree.

They do.

But I still don't like it. I wasn't even looking at him and I got the kill. Countless times while playing I've tried knifing from the front and I get nothing except maybe myself killed.
    So I still wonder why this particular match made me so successful with melee kills when I wasn't even trying.

I don't like it either. Maybe they will fix it one day like the bayonet. My assumption is it's not a big complaint right now...squeaky wheel always gets the oil.
  • CurvedTax769796
    146 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

You should really post your vids.

Still working on doing it right
  • LeonReed123
    82 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Brilliant session tonight

Facing a player both of us in corners in adjacent buildings upstairs. Thy have dynamite in their hand, I take aim then I am shot dead, as lying dead player switches to the gun just used to kill me.

I am facing a wall see player coming over am dead before they even finish the climb over the top.

Standing behind a team mate enemy coming towards us we both fall down dead at the same time from the one opponent.

Low stable latency playing in region and no bouncing fluctuation.

People are still commenting on hit detection in the state of the game thread. Its been bad but never like this its so frustrating I am now leaving more matches than finishing.

The game is forcing players away but what happens when the only people left are the ones with the advantage.

• oof14346
    954 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Facing a player both of us in corners in adjacent buildings upstairs. Thy have dynamite in their hand, I take aim then I am shot dead, as lying dead player switches to the gun just used to kill me.

I am facing a wall see player coming over am dead before they even finish the climb over the top.

I've had that happen to me multiple times. But, then again, I have horrible internet.
  • lizzard
    985 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    oof14346 wrote: »

I've had that happen to me multiple times. But, then again, I have horrible internet.

And this is why all my friends including me, have stopped playing this game. And most of us have solid Internet..
  • LeonReed123
    82 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Yea its a real pity but the games playing like dog crap anyway ESO Gold edition for £10, Destiny 2 £20 and Cod in boxing day sales will see me through Christmas as this is getting not worth the hassle.
  • archronin76
    23 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Yeah, my experience isn't necessarily that all high pingers are advantaged but something is definitely not right here. I'll have experiences where it affects my aiming as well. I use aim assist (I'm a scrub, I know) and there will be times that I'm nailing people left and right at all ranges and then there's that player where either my aim is really jerky or I have to fight where it wants to go, usually much behind the target. That combined with the fact that you'll die from a two shot from an mp18 from across the map (not really, but only two shots register-or the continual stream of bullets registering all at once when you know it didn't happen like that at that range). Anyway, the crappy internet thing is showing, premium has been dirt cheap and the OOR players are overrunning the US servers.
    Please, dice, EA, somebody give us a legitimate way to play in low ping lobbies.
  • Immortal_0neShot
    384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited December 2017
    So after a break for 5-6 months good to see its still the same merry go round here, the game runs fine for 3-4 people and the majority is bad or has bad internet. Its priceless. Too bad EA's stock went down for those 3-4 people. Well see you again in 5-6 months. Guess in BF6 or BFBC3 high ping still isnt an advantage and that is why more and more games competitive games have ping limits etcetc because high ping doesnt matter, (sarcasm)

Good weekend:)
  • misisipiRivrRat
    1004 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Yes it's getting old. The servers early in the morning being filled with high ping/oor players.
    Two matches of Conquest this morning on US east servers. First match had 27 players with 100ms and over, some were waaaay over. The 2nd match had 34 players with high ping. Really? I just have to wonder why? The gameplay was like playing glue at times. Controls were sluggish and weird sounds, not weird , just off.
    Before you say anything about crying , I'm not. Score wise both games were good. But it felt like total crap.
    Seriously. Why are there this many oor players in us servers?
  • VBALL_MVP
    edited December 2017
    Yes it's getting old. The servers early in the morning being filled with high ping/oor players.
    Two matches of Conquest this morning on US east servers. First match had 27 players with 100ms and over, some were waaaay over. The 2nd match had 34 players with high ping. Really? I just have to wonder why? The gameplay was like playing glue at times. Controls were sluggish and weird sounds, not weird , just off.
    Before you say anything about crying , I'm not. Score wise both games were good. But it felt like total crap.

I played in the morning though...while many were there server played fine. What was the Srvtick value?
    So after a break for 5-6 months good to see its still the same merry go round here, the game runs fine for 3-4 people and the majority is bad or has bad internet. Its priceless. Too bad EA's stock went down for those 3-4 people. Well see you again in 5-6 months. Guess in BF6 or BFBC3 high ping still isnt an advantage and that is why more and more games competitive games have ping limits etcetc because high ping doesnt matter, (sarcasm)

Good weekend:)

Trust me there are more than just 3 players..heck with the amount of time you put in it seems like you got your money's worth..nice try though

• Immortal_0neShot
    384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Because to some here they have a disadvantage and they want to challenge themselves more and therefore play OOR ;)

Its probably your internet. Or hops or bufferbloat. It just cant be the game mate. But maybe ifyou put a vid here the dev will see it. He hasnt replied in months but that doesntmean he isnt watching. ;)

Last time i heard he was on vacation. 3-4 months ago. Just acknowledge the fact that is wont get better after more then a year. The time it takes to load a game i can finish 3 CoD games.

• VBALL_MVP

Because to some here they have a disadvantage and they want to challenge themselves more and therefore play OOR ;)

Its probably your internet. Or hops or bufferbloat. It just cant be the game mate. But maybe ifyou put a vid here the dev will see it. He hasnt replied in months but that doesntmean he isnt watching. ;)

Last time i heard he was on vacation. 3-4 months ago. Just acknowledge the fact that is wont get better after more then a year. The time it takes to load a game i can finish 3 CoD games.

Have fun with CoD then.
  • HillbillyJohn
    510 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Welcome back! Beware the troll and his bait.
  • HillbillyJohn
    510 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

If the controls are sluggish at the beginning of a match I just leave. I've been meaning to try the game again on xbox and see if there are as many oor players as on ps4, the game is so bad EA put it in EA access vault!
  • lizzard
    985 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Finally some sane forum members are back.
    I do have a bad feeling that the story will repeat itself... Don't walk in to his Trapp...