Battlefield Blowouts - Level Disparity - What is the Matchmaker Doing?

Comments

• Khal_Fraggo
    494 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I think this is primarily from people switching teams.

My experience is that the matchmaker tends to do an okay job. It lets squads stay together, but still swaps them around based on skill. So at most there will be 4-5 more super high level players on one team just because they're in a squad. But this is at the BEGINNING of a match.

Within a few minutes of starting, a ton of people shuffle to whatever side seems to have the advantage, creating blowouts. Also on Operations, balance is shifted in favor of Offense on most maps, and you can sore points faster on Offense. So a lot of high level players really concerned about maxing out points shift to Offense.
  • TickTak77
    4695 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I think this is primarily from people switching teams.

My experience is that the matchmaker tends to do an okay job. It lets squads stay together, but still swaps them around based on skill. So at most there will be 4-5 more super high level players on one team just because they're in a squad. But this is at the BEGINNING of a match.

Within a few minutes of starting, a ton of people shuffle to whatever side seems to have the advantage, creating blowouts. Also on Operations, balance is shifted in favor of Offense on most maps, and you can sore points faster on Offense. So a lot of high level players really concerned about maxing out points shift to Offense.

Not really sure I agree with your first part of your post, regarding team switching.

The second part of your post is absolutely true though - I always switch to the Attacking Team when loading into Operations.
  • Private_UMPalot
    4234 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    TickTak77 wrote: »
    Conquest almost always plays the same way now.

1 - Load into a map

2 - The matchmaker can't balance teams (hello 29 vs 21)

3 - 29 player team continues to get more players (32 vs 21)

4 - 32 player team now pushes and gains map control

5 - Losing team realizes this, and then either back out (32 vs 19) or decide the match is already lost and don't bother pushing

6 - 32 player team now controls most of the map

7 - Losing team is 90% snipers who have no interest in pushing.

Sure, the matchmaker is badly broken right now, but so is this player base. If people just put away their sniper rifles and started pushing around the map, these issues would rarely ever happen.

Pretty much, it's so freaking sad, everything worked okay in previous Battlefields sort of, let's just stir the pot and turn it to ****.
  • Aragon0107
    38 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    What I don't understand is why the skill matching can't put low level players on a different server than high levels. In the OP examples there are a bunch of players with level 3-10 who are playing against people of level 80-100. Why would a level 3 be on the same server as a level 100? Is it any fun or challenge for either of them? In the old days there were servers for levels 0-20, 21-40, .... And yes it didn't work out perfectly because a lot of 'noob hunters', 'scrubbers' would create new accounts just for the pleasure of easy kills. So lame, but at least they hadn't all the weapons and gadgets unlocked.
    It would help new players like myself just to split the player base in say three large pools. And I'm sure the balancing would be better too, because as has been discussed one superior squad with level 90s can offset a whole match if the rest are <50 with one or two odd level 90s soloing. As shown in the OP examples.
    And yes this might cause issues for people that want to play together, so offer open servers for them then, where everyone can join. With hundreds of thousands of players online it can't be that difficult.
  • Girl-In-Pigtails
    299 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited January 2017
    Level means little. I am like 50% through 98, and I am not very good.
    Post edited by Girl-In-Pigtails on
  • ITS_BOB_GNARLY
    2190 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

1 - Load into a map

5 - Losing team realizes this, and then either back out (32 vs 19) or decide the match is already lost and don't bother pushing

Sure, the matchmaker is badly broken right now, but so is this player base. If people just put away their sniper rifles and started pushing around the map, these issues would rarely ever happen.

Yep this is what we've been putting up with for the last 3 or so months.
  • denjoga
    607 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited January 2017

Agreed. I get pwned by noobs all the time. :D
  • foozand
    32 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Let me break down this argument, I, one person am bad and am high level. Therefore, I conclude that the majority of people who are high level are bad.

I'm not going to say anymore. If you can't figure out why that strain of logic is terrible, I probably am not going to change your mind.
  • Girl-In-Pigtails
    gh05t47 wrote: »

Let me break down this argument, I, one person am bad and am high level. Therefore, I conclude that the majority of people who are high level are bad.

I'm not going to say anymore. If you can't figure out why that strain of logic is terrible, I probably am not going to change your mind.

Level has to do with score and time played, it has nothing to do with being "Good." Yes there are a lot of good high level players. But there are just as many average ones who play a lot. And there are a LOT of vehicle **** as well, and they are not particularly "Good" at team play for the most part.
  • SaintBrandon88
    1320 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    If level has nothing to do with being good, a team that consists of all level 20 players or less should be able to compete with a team of all level 80 players or higher. Now, we know that's just not true. Sure, some higher level players aren't great, but like anything, usually the more experience you have in something, the better you are.
  • Girl-In-Pigtails
    If level has nothing to do with being good, a team that consists of all level 20 players or less should be able to compete with a team of all level 80 players or higher. Now, we know that's just not true. Sure, some higher level players aren't great, but like anything, usually the more experience you have in something, the better you are.

I agree with that. But I have not seen a game of 80+ vs. 20-

More like one side has 2 80+ and the other 5 80+. It is not as big a deal as people make it out to be (the levels). The reality is the matchmaking based on "skill" is broken. Why give one side 2 pilots with 4 mill pilot score and the other team no pilots. Same with tankers. The hours it takes if you are a dedicated pilot would put you around level 50 if that is all they play. I see level 50 pilots with 90% of their score as pilot wrecking the offence in operations all the time. NoNo of the good pilots want to play offense because they have to deal with AA. Force one good pilot over. All I am saying is levels simplify it far too much.
  • KakeHC
    1217 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

1 - Load into a map

Yup. Just need to add the quit button what is not working. Its helping alot in this problem.
  • denjoga
    607 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    gh05t47 wrote: »

Where does she state or even imply anything about a "majority"?
    Take a look at your own logic before judging hers.

I'll break it down for you - she is saying that not all high level players are "good".
    "Not all" and "the majority" are miles apart - it was your logic that made that leap, not hers.

And yes, in fact, it does not take any skill to level up - it only takes time.
  • Aragon0107
    38 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Since I brought the word level into the discussion, let me clarify that what I wanted to say was that there is an issue that players of extremely different skill levels are matched together by "matching your skills". I just used levels to illustrate the issue. I think levels are rather an indicator of how how many hours you played, more than anything. But, if you do something a lot you will improve. I don't think the level up is linear either, so let's say that you spent 100 h to get to level 45, you need several hundred hours to go from 45 to 90.
  • CA_Play4Fun
    48 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Several hundred hours to go from 45 to 90? That's a bit of an exaggeration.
  • foozand
    32 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Figured I'd share this. Still play BF1 all the time and I still find myself thinking, man, whoever made the matchmaker must be one of the worst programmers to have ever existed.

https://s10.postimg.org/be3b76tqx/ridiculous.png

Seriously, I'm not sure the matchmaker could be worse. For starters, team swapping just needs to be disabled altogether. I sat through a game with my sister and we got trounced and I was like, it should rebalance the teams after this. (Fun introducing a new player with this kinda **** by the way.) We get to the next game, it sure did, then like 5 level 100+ people just swapped teams so that the other team was stacked again. Matchmaking can't work if you let players swap sides whenever they want. People just need to get over it and live with the matchmaker's decision.
  • x_Undaunted_x
    3766 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
  • abc1434286920
    447 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2017
    I really do not get why "necros" are frowned upon in this forum; if it's on topic then I don't see the issue....on the contrary a lot of other forums expect that you use the search function before starting a new thread so as to find similar topics (regardless of how old it is), in order to not clatter the place
    Not my place to tell the mods how to do their "job" just saying it's weird.
    On topic: funny how long this has been reported as an issue, one year after its even worst.
  • x_Undaunted_x
    3766 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    On topic: funny how long this has been reported as an issue, one year after its even worst.

It's been an issue since day 1 yet DICE is overhauling the TTK on assault and support rather than focusing their efforts on more pressing issues.