Battlefield Blowouts - Level Disparity - What is the Matchmaker Doing?

Comments

• von_Campenstein
    6618 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    TickTak77 wrote: »
    Conquest almost always plays the same way now.

1 - Load into a map

2 - The matchmaker can't balance teams (hello 29 vs 21)

3 - 29 player team continues to get more players (32 vs 21)

4 - 32 player team now pushes and gains map control

5 - Losing team realizes this, and then either back out (32 vs 19) or decide the match is already lost and don't bother pushing

6 - 32 player team now controls most of the map

7 - Losing team is 90% snipers who have no interest in pushing.

Sure, the matchmaker is badly broken right now, but so is this player base. If people just put away their sniper rifles and started pushing around the map, these issues would rarely ever happen.

Please Support failing at their one job loses a team more matches than Scouts ever had.
  • bfloo11111111111
    219 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Level means little. I am like 50% through 98, and I am not very good.

I'm level 106ish and just a glorified noob in this game :)
  • foozand
    32 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news for you and the others who hopped on this thread to announce they are the exception - doing something for an extended period of time and not really improving at it much is not the norm. Most people get better by practicing. If you find yourself not getting any better with 50+ hours of practice, at BF1 or something else, that's called having a flat learning curve. Most people do not have flat learning curves. Dull or shallow maybe, but if you're telling me that you've played 106 levels of this game and haven't improved beyond being a noob, then you're unfortunately in that atypical flat learning curve area.
  • bfloo11111111111
    foozand wrote: »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news for you and the others who hopped on this thread to announce they are the exception - doing something for an extended period of time and not really improving at it much is not the norm. Most people get better by practicing. If you find yourself not getting any better with 50+ hours of practice, at BF1 or something else, that's called having a flat learning curve. Most people do not have flat learning curves. Dull or shallow maybe, but if you're telling me that you've played 106 levels of this game and haven't improved beyond being a noob, then you're unfortunately in that atypical flat learning curve area.

I keep jumping back and forth between this and battlefront and can't get the aim straight.

I'm also suffering trying to figure out the medic class and using rifles in a WW1 game instead of auto weapons.
  • von_Campenstein
    6618 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

I keep jumping back and forth between this and battlefront and can't get the aim straight.

I'm also suffering trying to figure out the medic class and using rifles in a WW1 game instead of auto weapons.

Jumping between games and coming back into Medic is a rough choice, getting into the rythm of their guns is hard work, I'd recommend the Cei Rigotti Trench and switch firemode for that to automatic till you feel you got your surroundings in check.
  • ProLegion_exor
    3541 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
  • Colt_Seavers009
    52 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    If Im getting blown out, I look at the stars of the opposition, and then next round quickly try to join where most of them are and have a better chance of playing with conpetent players. Having said that, some of the Top 5 might be doing their own gimmicky thing to rack up kills and not PTFO, but hey, I tried. Jumped on Christmas night for the first time since first expansion. Found a great squad of randoms and we carried our team to several victories in a row. Once bringing us back from our own pity dreadnaught coming out to help to winning that round 1000-999, taking best squad everytime. Those Dream Team Squads are rare, but soo fun when they stick together and win a few matches in a row practically by ourselves.
  • megadethgod
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    If Im getting blown out, I look at the stars of the opposition, and then next round quickly try to join where most of them are and have a better chance of playing with conpetent players. Having said that, some of the Top 5 might be doing their own gimmicky thing to rack up kills and not PTFO, but hey, I tried. Jumped on Christmas night for the first time since first expansion. Found a great squad of randoms and we carried our team to several victories in a row. Once bringing us back from our own pity dreadnaught coming out to help to winning that round 1000-999, taking best squad everytime. Those Dream Team Squads are rare, but soo fun when they stick together and win a few matches in a row practically by ourselves.

IM always looking for a good squad. Hit me up. REMEGIMA on XB1
  • SmileAsTheyDie
    502 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    pHill-Ace wrote: »
    Team balancing is basically non-existent. AFAIK the only thing it actually does is prevent people from joining a team that already has more players.

It sometimes prevents people from switching to the team with more players (why it works sometimes is beyond me) yet when new players join it will fairly frequently put them on the larger team. I have seen a match go from 22v26 to 24v32 because every new player that joined was put on the bigger team instead of the smaller one.
  • barnesalmighty2
    1605 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I agree things are a bit screwed up right now but I will happily take this state over the balancer team switching me every single game. There is nothing worse than only attacking in rush over and over again. If they fixed it so team balance only happened when the map switched I'd be very happy with that.
  • bfloo11111111111

Jumping between games and coming back into Medic is a rough choice, getting into the rythm of their guns is hard work, I'd recommend the Cei Rigotti Trench and switch firemode for that to automatic till you feel you got your surroundings in check.

I could take the hellreigel and run wild, but where is the fun in that.
  • KILLUNCLE84
    129 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Why would switching teams even exist? I've NEVER switched team. I cannot understand why anyone would? Are they really so concerned about an utterly meaningless win that they would swop sides JUST so they can savour the sweet taste of a completely unearned victory?

For anyone who has played any team sport this is just so against the grain.
  • MachoFantast1c0
    2059 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    1) Skill calculation is crap and overly weights recent performance, doesn't weight performance by map, game mode, etc.
    2) Players can switch to the bigger/winning team and make it win harder which is STUPID DICE PLS
    3) There's no auto-balancing of any kind when players leave
    4) Squads of randoms are kept together during balancing making it near impossible to do
    5) Balancing and assigning of teams appears to be done while players are loading and when players cancel or crash and don't load, it isn't amended
    6) Lots of other things that DICE mysteriously appear to not be interested in addressing

Balancing is the most fundamental and serious problem in the game and appears to get least attention.

I swear you've copy-pasted this at least a half dozen times, which is a good thing since the points are all valid and have gone unaddressed for a year. I always watch the scoreboard once the map has loaded up until the first minute, and it never ceases to amaze me how new players are put on the significantly larger team, creating a disparity of six or so players. This could be an artifact of the skill balancer, but something feels off with it.
    Just yesterday I quick matched to a mixed maps server and was put on the winning team in the last few minutes of game time. The match was already imbalanced and ended shortly. To my amazement, when the next round began, my team had retained all "top talent", and was reinforced with a platoon squad from the previously losing side. Half of the team now was +120 levels, and the Soissons CQ match lasted all of five minutes. The imbalance was so severe it made no sense to switch to the losing side, as it would only have pain last longer. Even the behemoth was down in a minute.

• Roy57on
    273 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    One thing that I've seen that is troubling are servers will a 5+ difference of players between teams, then the matchmaking adds a joining player to the team with the most players. At worst I've seen servers with roughly a 10-player difference with no team balancing or new players joining for most of the game. It's pretty rare, but I've seen it happen more than once on Conquest.
  • Bradass515
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Even to this day it's a blow out to the point where its laughable. You know whos gonna win inside 5 min. It's never a close game ever its always one team destroying.
  • DaMutha1
    1342 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Why would switching teams even exist? I've NEVER switched team. I cannot understand why anyone would? Are they really so concerned about an utterly meaningless win that they would swop sides JUST so they can savour the sweet taste of a completely unearned victory?

For anyone who has played any team sport this is just so against the grain.

Unless you're LeBron or Durant.
  • PottyScottie
    251 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    15 years and Dice still hasnt removed the "switch teams" button. This is a big part of it.
  • fortress66
    344 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    TickTak77 wrote: »
    I think this is primarily from people switching teams.

My experience is that the matchmaker tends to do an okay job. It lets squads stay together, but still swaps them around based on skill. So at most there will be 4-5 more super high level players on one team just because they're in a squad. But this is at the BEGINNING of a match.

Within a few minutes of starting, a ton of people shuffle to whatever side seems to have the advantage, creating blowouts. Also on Operations, balance is shifted in favor of Offense on most maps, and you can sore points faster on Offense. So a lot of high level players really concerned about maxing out points shift to Offense.

Not really sure I agree with your first part of your post, regarding team switching.

The second part of your post is absolutely true though - I always switch to the Attacking Team when loading into Operations.

SO, you are a part of the problem (team switching). I never switch, I never (or rarely) quit because we loses. I play mainly operations. My win % is 43%. If you do like me, guarantee to lose more matchs.
  • RRedux
    736 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I see a lot of things in this thread I agree 100% with. The matchmaking is a failure. I wish they would give rented servers at least an option to have random scramble of the teams after a match if the score difference at the games end is too large. Lots of servers used that in bf4, wasn't perfect every time, but it must be a lot better than the current MM.

As it is, you can join a game that has JUST started 30 seconds ago, and tell immediately if you are on the team that is supposed to win, or the team that is supposed to lose. The matchmaker stacks the odds in one teams favour most of the time.