Elitism in the battlefield community

Comments

• HANSGRUBER30
    3089 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The fact that any of these Youtubers are even being mentioned means that they're doing their job well... whether the feedback of their content is positive or negative, their name is still in your mouth...

... try putting yourself in their shoes, I'm sure it's not as easy as it may seem...

Xfaptor, is that you?
  • JGillyRamsFan23
    23 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2018
    Xfaptor, is that you?

Lol nah, but I can see the ¯\_(ツ)_/¯-i-ness in my own comment... I just enjoy that crews' content, with YT being the only option "TV" wise for me over the past couple of years, they've provided hours (maybe even days) worth of entertainment for me & really don't see the need for all the hate.
  • x_Undaunted_x
    3766 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Xfaptor, is that you?

Lol nah, but I can see the duche-i-ness in my own comment... I just enjoy that crews' content, with YT being the only option "TV" wise for me over the past couple of years, they've provided hours (maybe even days) worth of entertainment for me & really don't see the need for all the hate.

I used to like XFactor and even had him favorited on Twitch until I saw the way he treats his subscribers (like he did over a couple of different sessions.) If he's going for the arrogant d-bag online personality, he definitely has it down pat.
  • JGillyRamsFan23
    23 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2018
    I used to like XFactor and even had him favorited on Twitch until I saw the way he treats his subscribers (like he did over a couple of different sessions.) If he's going for the arrogant d-bag online personality, he definitely has it down pat.

Yeah, X specifically can be annoying to listen to IMO... out of him, Lvlcap, Matimi0 & Jackfrags (the usual squad up guys), he would be my last choice to watch... I haven't seen anything he's put on twitch but if he behaves like that towards his subscribers, then he's just asking for the criticism... as for the rest & other Youtubers though (at least those that I've seen), I wouldn't necessarily call them "elitist".
  • Lahoo_Eckbert
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Those remarks are mostly true.
    BF1 is a game made for casuals, but then, none of the BF franchise was truly competitive and balanced. With that said, I've been playing since BC 2 and BF 1 is the most casual of them all. Random bullet deviation, supression and weird character animations/speed are all designed to level the playing field, but at the same time degraded skill level in the franchise. So yeah, it is an inferior game but it is visually stunning and still the best FPS on the market atm.
  • woll3
    677 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Random bullet deviation, supression and weird character animations/speed are all designed to level the playing field,

Well, the big ones are also guilty of that, not to mention that to be competitive you have to be casual, DICE just didnt try to capitalize on it fully up until recently.
  • MegaloDorian
    910 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I've been seeing a lot of YouTubers and their followers labeling Battlefield 1 as "casual" recently. It's definitely not a very competitive game, at least not in the sense of tournaments and whatnot. But, Battlefield 1 is supposedly the "most casual" Battlefield title to date, as if Stingers, IGLAs, Javelins, UCAVs, SUAVs, and so on weren't casual whatsoever.

Suppression and random bullet deviation? Have you seen Battlefield 3 in its later life after somebody at DICE decided to raid the liquor cabinet? If somebody shot you at once with an M9, you'd go half-blind and be shooting the ceiling as if you were that Voda Consulting clown.
  • enek0id
    263 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Im been noticing people say " battlefield 3 was much better than bf1" people calling anyone who likes bf1 casual even youtubers like LVLCAP saying bf1 casual nothing like bf4 and stuff like "all cod players moved to battlefield" battlefiled more casual. I thought to my self people say bf2 was the most skill in the series ( what people say) i played bf2 on hub that game was AWFUL grenade spam op jets etc is it just people have rose tinted glasses in the community or something plz explain

You will always find people who complain and regret the past on the forums. It's your grandpa's "back in my day" 2.0 version. Don't know if it's nostalgia or elitism.
    I am an old gamer myself (I started in 1990 with a 8086 LOL) but I never look back... I enjoyed dozens of games that are no longer on my hard disk. Games evolve and it is much more enjoyable to keep the pace than to regret the past and stick to the old ones.
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3417 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I've been seeing a lot of YouTubers and their followers labeling Battlefield 1 as "casual" recently. It's definitely not a very competitive game, at least not in the sense of tournaments and whatnot. But, Battlefield 1 is supposedly the "most casual" Battlefield title to date, as if Stingers, IGLAs, Javelins, UCAVs, SUAVs, and so on weren't casual whatsoever.

Suppression and random bullet deviation? Have you seen Battlefield 3 in its later life after somebody at DICE decided to raid the liquor cabinet? If somebody shot you at once with an M9, you'd go half-blind and be shooting the ceiling as if you were that Voda Consulting clown.

You should see what happens when you get shot in Bad Company 2. I've gotten it recently for the PC, and its fun, but incredibly dated. Whenever you get hit in BC2, your gun starts shaking in a crazy fashion, to the point that it is literally impossible to hit an opponent who isn't right in front of your weapon. If you get hit in that game, you've lost the fight, period.

People also like to believe that BC2 was this ultra hardcore game, where only the most skilled BF players succeed. If that's the case, then I must be one of these players, because I managed to get a 70-30 game on Atacama Desert on New Year's Eve. Most of those 30 deaths were from one point in the match when we, somehow, got spawn trapped. All I did was use the SCAR and the Carl Gustav. I even managed to kill six or seven helicopters with my Gustav, and let me tell you, it feels immensely satisfying to kill one of those flying rats with a bloody rocket launcher like this oh-so-powerful thing. I also found players that were so incredibly bad, that I'd wipe out their entire squad with my SCAR. I've even gotten chains of dogtags on camping snipers in this game.

Don't get me wrong, that game can be tough, but its also surprisingly easy at times. Tanks also seem to be made of paper mache in this game - it almost seemed like the ATGM launchers killed them in one hit. The AA in this game is also pretty pathetic; all it does is fire about five shot bursts that have a low velocity. I actually found it more effective as an anti-infantry weapon instead of something to shoot down helicopters with. Of course, the Carl Gustav seems to be the perfect weapon for blowing up overconfident pilots. Heck, that launcher is perfect for pretty much anything, especially in one of the x15 servers with tons of ammo per player.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6309 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    bran1986 wrote: »
    People who scream " random deviation" about spread, have you ever played a Battlefield before Bad Company 2? Battlefield 2 Assault rifles had insane amounts of spread and random deviation. People act like these mechanics are somehow new in BF1. In BF4 spread reset so quickly it made every Assault rifle a laser beam of death at all ranges. Controlling spread and knowing burst patterns of every gun in BF1 is far more skillful than mindlessly tap firing or micro bursting like in BF4 imo.

B-b-b-but our youtube overlords say so, it must be true and we need to spread that info all around to prove our loyality.
  • Lahoo_Eckbert
    1319 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    People who scream " random deviation" about spread, have you ever played a Battlefield before Bad Company 2? Battlefield 2 Assault rifles had insane amounts of spread and random deviation. People act like these mechanics are somehow new in BF1. In BF4 spread reset so quickly it made every Assault rifle a laser beam of death at all ranges. Controlling spread and knowing burst patterns of every gun in BF1 is far more skillful than mindlessly tap firing or micro bursting like in BF4 imo.

Random deviation means that even if you aim perfectly you still can miss. And sometimes you'll just spray and pray with guns like automatico and get a headshot kill.
    The skill difference between a good player and an average joe has never been so little in any other BF game(BC 2 and onwards at least).
  • woll3
    677 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Random deviation means that even if you aim perfectly you still can miss. And sometimes you'll just spray and pray with guns like automatico and get a headshot kill.
    The skill difference between a good player and an average joe has never been so little in any other BF game(BC 2 and onwards at least).

Which is why Headshots arent oneshots, regardless BF3 and BF4 are a lot easier to get frags due to high rof, high damage weapons, with very fast recovery. Not to mention that BF3 and 4 both have a weapon that is far worse than the automatico.

• Dogwoggle11
    2678 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

So tap firing everything across the map is skill?
    Oookaay...
  • bran1986
    5913 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2018

Random deviation is only going to kick in if you can't control your spread. There is nothing random if you can manage burst patterns and control your tempo of your weapon, you will hit what you are aimit at. Battlefield 4 spread mechanic was hilariously broken. You could almost instantly reset your spread, so all you had to do is mindlessly tap the mouse button to shoot lasers at people. Actually controlling your spread and getting your timing down with your weapon is a much greater skill than tapping a button.
  • Granathar
    249 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Temp1st wrote: »
    Let's not forget Lvlcap trashed on the skill cannon SLR's (Seb06/RSC/AL8) and said Seb16 was the best SLR in the game for the longest time..

Let that sink in.

Umm, it's probably because Seb06/RSC/AL8 are not the best weapons by any means and few elitists touching their ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ to them because of their magdump'n'run tactics will not change it. They are just not this good as people claim and I will always say that. Saying that Seb06/RSC/AL8 are best is like saying that Maschinenpistole M1912 is best weapon for Assault because MUH LOW TTK DUHHHH.

Nobody uses it, and I still find Automatico better, because it has a little bit higher TTK, but larger magazine and faster reload making you more versatile and resistant to multiple enemies encounters. And I still think that Hellriegel is actually better than Automatico - because again, you sacrifice raw optimistic TTK for larger mag and better ADS accuracy so you can be more effective mid-range. Hellriegel actually leaves you with chance of winning against Support and Medic outside extreme CQC - and that saved me a LOT of times, that's why I prefer Hellriegel over Automatico. Raw TTK is not everything.

And best SLR all-round is Farquhar Hill Optical. I have 2.9 KPM with it, 15 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ so far. It's not the king of CQC but I win with it quite a lot of times actually and makes you dangerous at every distance due to it's damage model and bullet velocity. But most importantly - it has pretty large mag. When I see like 3 guys going out of the trenches - I kill 2 of them before the 3rd one notices me, and due to it's pretty good midrange TTK I kill the 3rd guy too most of the times. With AL8 it's probably better idea to run away after noticing them because you will kill one of them and others won't let you run away. So stand and fight for 1/1 KD or run away with 0/0, while FH will make you 2/1 or even 3/0 in the same situation, because you don't even have to think about what to do - you just open fire immediatly without wasting time knowing that you won't run out of ammo.

I waste less time reloading so I have time to actually revive people and drop them health pouches, because it won't interrupt my eternal reload. I had many situations where AL 8 forced me to decide - run away while reloading or run away while reviving the guy, because I have no ammo and enemy just noticed me. With FH I just fire back at the guy, drop health pouch for myself and revive the guy after that while wasting ZERO time for reloading and being able to defend myself all the damn time. Also FH leaves me margin of error that also helps in survival, it's faster to fire another bullet than to switch to sidearm.

"Skillcannons" are crap for agressive, dynamic players that don't like to waste 3/4 of their playtime on reloading the gun while dead and injured allies are laying around. Cutting 100 ms in TTK is just not worth all the downsides that come solely from low ammo capacity.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6309 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Define "the skill".
  • xBigOrangeHeadx
    395 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I'll never understand the level of opprobrium the main YouTube guys attract. I don't think their content is either that good, influential or offensive to get upset about it. Back in the BF3 days xfactor used to produce useful content for the noob that I was then. I just don't bother with all his Battlefeels rubbish.
  • Dogwoggle11
    2678 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Granathar wrote: »
    "Skillcannons" are crap for agressive, dynamic players that don't like to waste 3/4 of their playtime on reloading the gun while dead and injured allies are laying around. Cutting 100 ms in TTK is just not worth all the downsides that come solely from low ammo capacity.

@ProLegion_exor