Weekly BF

getting tired of language police servers

124»

Comments

• DurablCapitalism
    40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I don't play on PC, but freedom of speech should be accepted even if it hurts.
  • ugdpy
    225 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield Member

Have you read the 2 reply before yours ?
  • Rev0verDrive
    6757 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    ugdpy wrote: »

Have you read the 2 reply before yours ?

Highly doubtful, yet typical.
  • Lordmang4
    2063 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter Member

Given your avatar and his noted misinterpretations of the US Constitution, I'm not surprised that you also don't understand the concept of "Freedom of Speech".
  • Nzwg
    145 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    what about the concept of words being offensive? That's a hard one to understand.
  • DurablCapitalism
    40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Lordmang4 wrote: »

Given your avatar and his noted misinterpretations of the US Constitution, I'm not surprised that you also don't understand the concept of "Freedom of Speech".

I understand it, and for this case on a server the admin has every right to take away free speech. But my comment was meant for everyday free speech. iYPETgT.jpg
  • StarscreamUK
    7320 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Zantroy05 wrote: »
    I remember back in BF3 i got banned from a server for saying "shenanigans".

I mean, trash talking shouldn't be tolerated imo, but getting kicked/banned for a few harmless words is dumb. What OP said, this is a game for mature people.

I would actually hazard a guess that someone had a language filter set to tight to pick up a racial slur, which is in the middle of shananigans
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

LOL, so your candidate saying that when he's President he'll change the law so politicians can sue journalists who report negative things about them must be kind of upsetting to you huh?

This is a simple concept -- your right to free speech does not extend to other people's private property. Gaming servers are owned by a company and rented to operators who are under zero legal obligation to let you say anything you please, especially considering that you agreed to abide by EA's terms of service when you installed the game and the TOS prohibits obscene language and hate speech. Freedom of speech is a meaningless term in this discussion, unless you can show that the government is behind server operators using language filters to kick players who break their language rules--then you might have a case.
  • ImNOtAmaNiaC
    134 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    "Let's show the BF devs we're worth interacting with. Otherwise the fault lies with us."
    WHO CARES ABOUT THEM....I HAVE STARTED SENDING DICE EMPLOYEE'S EMPLOYMENT APPLICATIONS FOR BLIZZARD.
  • ImNOtAmaNiaC
    134 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    all these pointless people with no direction in life..
    what is that like having no dad to tell you how life should be like?
    having mommy dress you and show you how to be a man....
    so glad i wasnt born after 2,ooo
    there is this thing called being responsible for your own actions..playing honestly and respecting others...
    you kids will grow up to think it being hot outside is something you can change
  • ImNOtAmaNiaC

omg do you even listen and read yourself...?
    you have trump for an avatar..and state things about freedom of speech..when your pres pick is talking about putting everyone in camps...building walls around rich people...hahhahaah
    do you know the square peg doesnt fit int eh round hole?
    oh you are a product of a one parent family...
    where did your dad go exactly?
  • Dark_Dragon279
    637 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield Member

I mean, trash talking shouldn't be tolerated imo, but getting kicked/banned for a few harmless words is dumb. What OP said, this is a game for mature people.

I would actually hazard a guess that someone had a language filter set to tight to pick up a racial slur, which is in the middle of shananigans

No it was a super troopers server in which the admins pistol whip anyone who says shananigans
  • smw34
    38 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm with op, I'm a marine and an adult. Swearing is what I do. For god sakes I was raised by sailors, swearing has always been a part of my life. Stop hiding from the world.
  • Lordmang4
    2063 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter Member
    Yes, because refraining from using bad language is SO difficult and painful.
  • smw34
    38 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Lordmang4 wrote: »
    Yes, because refraining from using bad language is SO difficult and painful.

Obviously hearing it is painful to you, so get over it.
  • Red_Spider
    419 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, EA Live QA, Battlefield V
    Red_Spider wrote: »
    This is an 'M' rated game for people 18+ and above, I should not need to be worrying about getting kicked for saying a swear word.
    Whist I absolutely agree, things like hate speech do not belong in the game. We run a language filter on the FNB servers but only for hate speech etc. General profanity won't trigger it. I do feel some people have it set a little too strict but at the end of the day it is their server, but it is kinda non-sensicle seeing as the characters/VO contains profanity.

From my experience I think the strict filter policy stems from the rise in players spamming the chat with f bombs constantly. Then the admin has to take time out to kick. A better filter is needed. A simple 3 strike kick with warnings would work better.
    Even though ours is set to only trigger on hate speech it still has an incremental punishment (kill/kick/ban).
  • DIRTYGreeny
    676 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield Member

Its because the filter recognised only a variant of a racist word within (variants are made because some people try to bypass the filter by spelling it differently but still gets their point across). Its just something that wasn't expected and when it was brought to light the word was excluded which in the case of my server it was. This was also said in another thread ages ago and I again explained the reason why. If it was you then why do you keep bringing up an argument that is pointless? Its just an unforeseen flaw in the filter plugin.

To also note.. Players are warned at least once on my servers before any action is taken. 18+ mature but nothing mature about shouting abuse constantly on a server in whatever context. There is leeway for letting out frustration however.
  • 1Hairy-Gorilla
    245 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Getting sick of every single server I join having some god damn useless chat filter. This is an 'M' rated game for people 18+ and above, I should not need to be worrying about getting kicked for saying a swear word.

Bunch of worthless parents playing this game trying to police people, disgusting.

I said "lame using mortar (insertplayers name) since DeltaForce JoinOps" and was killed by server for language.

I'm still not sure what was wrong with that lol
  • Nzwg
    145 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Red_Spider wrote: »
    Even though ours is set to only trigger on hate speech it still has an incremental punishment (kill/kick/ban).
    Wish the FridayNightBattlefield servers had a stricter filter.
  • Berrywoke
    566 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Who reads that stuff in game anyway. you can text manure all you want in game Im not reading it anyway.