It's time to have a legitimate discussion about if this game would be better without planes

wenkels
109 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Spoiler alert: It would

I've only ever died 3 ways in this game: Being shot by tanks / artillery trucks, trying to spawn on a point and being dropped in front of an enemy, and by planes. Now I understand the first 2 ways I die. Tanks are an important part of this game as they can support or lead attacks, can help teammates, and can be used as cover or distraction by friendly infantry. Obviously the spawn issue is a problem, but if it had an easy fix it would be gone by now.

But planes, planes I don't understand. Full disclosure, I've never once flown a plane (or driven a tank for that matter) in this game and I play entirely as infantry. But I don't see what planes add to this game. Sure a good pilot might help his team, but planes work in a way where they're basically unavoidable. No matter what you do, you're gonna get be in a heated fight when randomly out of nowhere some guy in a plane drops 200 grenades on ur head or blows u up with his cannons. They just seem like a really obnoxious gimmicky mechanic. Moreover, I never feel thankful for pilots on my team. Like I've never been fighting somebody and been saved by a plane. My only memory of them in this game is gimmicky deaths that I can't avoid.

So in conclusion planes are only ever flown by dumb pubs and should be removed

Comments

• Head3masher
    1420 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Only ever seem to get killed by attack planes excessively, from enemy infantry not so much
  • Zooboid
    926 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    "wenkels wrote: »
    But planes, planes I don't understand. Full disclosure, I've never once flown a plane (or driven a tank for that matter) in this game

Irrelevant opinion then

Stick to domination and such

Which is what I do. Whilst I prefer domination and such I do occasionally play Frontlines, Conquest as well. Yes planes can be a pain, as can silent tanks and spawn camping trucks but they can be easily avoided mostly. Or even taken down.

So without any criticism OP I suggest that you either stick to domination (which is a great mode) or put up with planes. Personally I find tanks and trucks to be more of a nuisance.
  • wenkels
    109 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    You know I've never even played domination, 99% of the matches I've played have been conquest. I should probably give that a try. Yeah trucks and tanks are a bother for me but they've also helped me at times and you can use them as cover and such, so it's not as bad IMO
  • ElliotLH
    9179 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It might be a good idea to try flying yourself as if you get decent in the fighter (or and attack plane arguably) you can take out attack planes which are pounding your team on the ground.
  • beetroot888
    768 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I'm with op. Either give more antiplane gadgets so infantry has a fighting chance or get rid of them.
  • GRIZZ11283
    4839 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    So you have never lost a 1 v 1 gunfight or been killed out in the open by a sniper, been blown up by a grenade, burnt from an incendiary or gassed?
    Remember op when you said you have only EVER died 3 ways? How we all laughed :)

Yes I think someone talks bs.

As for the 1 of 3 ways you ever die, the planes, stop standing in groups holding hands with your team and you'll die less.
    I don't have issues with deaths from planes, so it must be your playstyle.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6172 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    GRIZZ11283 wrote: »
    So you have never lost a 1 v 1 gunfight or been killed out in the open by a sniper, been blown up by a grenade, burnt from an incendiary or gassed?
    Remember op when you said you have only EVER died 3 ways? How we all laughed :)

Yes I think someone talks bs.

As for the 1 of 3 ways you ever die, the planes, stop standing in groups holding hands with your team and you'll die less.
    I don't have issues with deaths from planes, so it must be your playstyle.

B-b-b-but I want to be with my whole team capturing pointless gimme flag while also standing close to each other.
    Those people will never learn and will never stop crying because it's easier than adapting or just simply become better at the game.
  • ElliotLH
    9179 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    robmcewen wrote: »
    ElliotLH wrote: »
    It might be a good idea to try flying yourself as if you get decent in the fighter (or and attack plane arguably) you can take out attack planes which are pounding your team on the ground.

Or make a cry thread hoping DICE will remove a part of the game that makes it stand out from the other FPS on the market.

Well I guess that is the easier option :D
  • Obsidiann6
    68 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    How about remove infantry instead? :D
  • GyposEyelash
    61 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I think the point OP is trying to make is that they can not be easily countered from the ground by infantry and by general admission they have no influence on the objective against a decent team, then what's the point?

Personally I think they can influence the objective and in the hands of a decent pilot they are effective, but I understand where the OP is coming from. Having cleared out an objective, to get killed by a cluster bomb from above is annoying. I think LMG's should do more damage to aeroplanes to add more risk for the pilot during bombing runs when they have air superiority, but this needs to be very carefully balanced.
  • RRedux
    739 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Planes is like a little, secondary minigame in bf1 for players who go for them. It's a minigame where you have to avvoid "red zones" AKA the limited range of AA guns, and battle other planes. If you win against the other planes, you are rewarded with a couple of minutes where you can farm infantry kills with little to no opposition (as long as you stay out of the aforementioned "red zones".

Infantry weapons do so pathetic damage against planes that unless the infantry fire is added on top of damage from another plane or AA, a pilot can easily fly away from infantry gun fire way, way before it poses any actual risk of getting downed.

Luckily, a majority of pilots don't really pay attention to AA zones, and fly right over them. If the person on the AA is semi-competent (I.e. if the person manages to lead the shots just a LITTLE bit, there are so many people who aim the AA gun RIGHT AT the planes position instead of in front of it, so you can see the AA fire trailing far behind the plane, so frustrating to watch) he can then shoot down the plane, very often resulting in huge amounts of salt and "AA is op". Which is funny, since most AA are stationary targets with a limited range, and using one is like putting up a "headshot me" sign for enemy snipers.

Some of the slightly more competent pilots usually line up their sights toward the AA from way outside the AA range and starts flying towards it and shooting. This way they can kill the guy manning the AA without getting shot down. But again, this is not the case for most pilots.

• CSO7777
    1711 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The problems are that it's to easy to just dump explosives on infantry.

When infantry are fighting over flags, they cannot use AA (you will die instantly). Then the pilots just farm infantry. Infantry has no valid counters for pilots, using AA i often not possible.