Overclocking my GPU for this game, would you not recommend it?

Exospax
38 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Yes, I am playing on a laptop asus rog series which have dual jets at the back for cooling. gtx 970m are overclockable but many people on gaming laptops never overclock because of heating issues. Is there a safe way I can overclock the GPU with keeping its lifespan and power at the same rate? Does the GPU know what's tolerable, and how do I overclock this bad boy I couldn't find any settings for overclocking.

Comments

• Dragam
    871 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I would personally never overclock on a laptop... but i wouldnt ever recommend anyone gaming on a laptop in the first place.
  • MAJORBURNOUT
    64 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield Member
    I second the no vote ... I wouldn't OC anything on a laptop. JMO
    curious, what kinda numbers does that ROG throw up?
    not a lappy fan but I love their boards
  • ethanhalk
    20 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Step from that idea mate, a friend of mine had the same idea........Fried Laptop! It wont give enough cooling as it was never designed for that, no matter WHAT the spec's say! Your choice, you have been warned.
  • Lordmang4
    2063 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter Member
    Exospax wrote: »
    Yes, I am playing on a laptop asus rog series which have dual jets at the back for cooling. gtx 970m are overclockable but many people on gaming laptops never overclock because of heating issues. Is there a safe way I can overclock the GPU with keeping its lifespan and power at the same rate? Does the GPU know what's tolerable, and how do I overclock this bad boy I couldn't find any settings for overclocking.

Long story, short - no, you can't.
    -
    This is probably one of the biggest drawbacks to gaming on a laptop.
  • Flapdr0l1337
    10 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited August 2016
    If you leave the power target on it's current level and just increase the clockspeed it will run faster at the same maximum powerconsumption and temperature.

You probably won't get far before it gets unstable though.

Nvidia cards have a table of clockspeeds and voltages, if temperature and powerconsumption allow it will go to the next clockspeed/voltage level, they call that "boost". if you use a tool to increase clockspeed you're increasing those clockspeed values but not the voltages. This means you're running higher clocks at lower voltages, this is more efficient, so you can have more speed at the same powerconsumption, but it's also more likely a game will crash because the clock isn't stable.
  • Exospax
    38 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Thanks for the feed back.