Cavalry...again

Comments

• Dinamythe2512
    320 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    What I find the most important is cùstomization. Like only the fact yo can choose from the standard lot of grenades (having two of them while moùnted thoùgh) coùld help a lot to "sùppress" enemies before yoù charge them if they are frags/incendiary/gas instead of weak light at nades. I already ùse them against infatry when I'm missing my charge bùt it's not effective and I think something with area of effect is missing on the cav as it reqire too mch precision aswell with the sword and with the weapon.

Also, having the possibility for another weapon. Other gadgets aswell: spotting flares, flashing flares, AT nades, K bùllets.. or maybe even a spawn beacon ? Instead of the cùrrent defaùlt poùches.

• KermitJ
    388 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited January 2018
    Cav is better than he's been for a while. The complete lack of unmounted armor is something I disagree with but riding on the horse isn't as terrible and we have had some ease of life changes since then. Bucking the horse onto a medkit is no longer necessary and a single MP18 magazine won't kill you off the horse anymore. Horse regen being too slow and unaffected by medkits is the only change I wanna see now.

The lance is awful though, still, and the problem with it is entirely based in WHEN the hitboxes strike on it, not where they're situated. It hits at the very end of the animations and it makes it so unintuitive to use. The life after I got my last lance kill for an achievement I put the saber back on and got 19 kills in a couple minutes before the round ended because it's just so much more effective. The majority of the time it'd look like I was about to skewer someone I'd just get a roadkill instead...it's so underpowered it's not funny.

Though I will say this, I hope they adjust the cavalry modifiers in new TTK or he'll be right back to being a joke. The new Browning LMG is already my nemesis when I'm on a horse, dying to every support won't be fun.
    i40ozz wrote: »
    They should give back some dismounted armor. Occasionally, even the best riders get stuck and need to dismount. Not being able to scurry away once your vehicle is fkd....sucks! At least the pilot and tankers get the sawed-off and frommer stopper for those sticky situations.

If they wanted less players to dismount, they should have given more incentive to staying on the horse. This could have been done by allowing squadmates to spawn while you are mounted.

Although, the main issue is the packet lose. Swinging through enemies and riding over health packs to not have them work has killed me too many times to count. As of lately I have been using the rifle more and the mounted crosshairs need to be tightened up, the center of the crosshairs is too wide and will cause you to miss frequently. It is not an accurate representation of that rifle's hitbox.

They also need to remove the HE tripwires being a OHK for horses. How is that possible when they only do 70 damage to infantry?

Found out that medic crates actually heal you when riding over them though......

I do also feel that cav riders could use a slight and I mean slight maybe like extra 7-12% health boost (While on horseback NOT dismounted) rn the rider itself just feels so squishy on the horse. I'm tired of dying to a single medic from 30 feet away. makes it difficult in the more open maps that lack good cover as swerving doesn't help as much anymore it seems.

Oh and please one thing I want most in this game is the ability to manually jump I like the auto jump I would however prefer more user input jump wise. Maybe a 1.5 - 2 sec cool down in between jumps so it will not be abused.

More customization would be awesome i'd love absolutely love my pieper M1983 carbine for my primary firearm on horseback....I mean thats what the carbine was originally designed for oh and maybe gas or incendiary grenade options, or maybe smoke? Ohhhhh What about the French Berthier Mle 1892 M16 carbine? I would love that too I mean I am French decent that would be awesome!

More customization to benefit the rider on horseback I could care off the horse a proper cav should never dismount.

Cav weapons I'd love to see

Arisaka type 44 cav rifle
    Pieper m1983 carbine
    Berthier Mle 1892 m16 carbine
    More pistol customizations maybe gazzer as it was a commong cav weapon. how about the colt model 1898 or even a peacemaker?
    M1917 enfield
    Marlin Model 1984 lever rifle
    Shotguns? With how limited shotguns were during WW1 I cannt for the life of me think of anything outside of Colts early 1839 revolving cylinder shotgun. My knowledge of that weapon is very slim to buckess to be entirely honest.

Also how about Austrian explosive/incendiary bullets? The Germans during WW2 called them übungspatrone I think or somethign like that. English translation is te German B-Patrone rounds.
    Post edited by KermitJ on
  • trm6
    278 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    It hurts to read all the "cav nerfed to useless" threads. I love my pony. I rack up kills with the LT nades, the beautiful two shot rifle from out of range assaults and lmgs. I love flanking idiot scouts and applying harassment on contested flags. I also love being bait since every idiot will try to pound your horse with bullets just to get shoveled in the back of the head. I routinely drop 30-40 a round on horse and it is by far the most skilled and most satisfying class in the game. For all you dismount noobs, get better. ty
  • crabman169
    12841 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    KermitJ wrote: »
    a proper cav should never dismount
    Good comments, but you know this is just your thing, yeah? Cavalry units often fought without their horses especially in WW1.

Reading up on it a bit you find that during and after the Boer war cavalry was used to quickly flank but they then would dismount to attack from those flanks even using machine guns, certainly not their swords and lances. Sometimes this would be to support a main cavalry charge, but often it would be the only tactic as a charge would just be impossible.

Sounds like how it works in BF1 to me. Often the horse charge is totally impractical due to tanks and machine guns in the enemy front, so you use the horse for speed and to flank them and get off.

I guess I can understand you might feel fighting dismounted lacks 'honour' or something, but if BF1 strives for authenticity they need to balance for the cavalry unit to still be effective when dismounted.

From my reading, they should, at the very least, have a much greater selection of weapons available when dismounted. They should perhaps, for example, get to dismount and place a heavy machine gun or mortar...

Yeah I dont get this "I don't dismount" bs. If you don't like to that's fine but to say that's not how to use the class properly is just flat rude

Cavalry in ww1 was often mounted infantry
  • KermitJ
    388 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited January 2018
    crabman169 wrote: »
    Good comments, but you know this is just your thing, yeah? Cavalry units often fought without their horses especially in WW1.

Reading up on it a bit you find that during and after the Boer war cavalry was used to quickly flank but they then would dismount to attack from those flanks even using machine guns, certainly not their swords and lances. Sometimes this would be to support a main cavalry charge, but often it would be the only tactic as a charge would just be impossible.

Sounds like how it works in BF1 to me. Often the horse charge is totally impractical due to tanks and machine guns in the enemy front, so you use the horse for speed and to flank them and get off.

I guess I can understand you might feel fighting dismounted lacks 'honour' or something, but if BF1 strives for authenticity they need to balance for the cavalry unit to still be effective when dismounted.

From my reading, they should, at the very least, have a much greater selection of weapons available when dismounted. They should perhaps, for example, get to dismount and place a heavy machine gun or mortar...

Yeah I dont get this "I don't dismount" bs. If you don't like to that's fine but to say that's not how to use the class properly is just flat rude

Cavalry in ww1 was often mounted infantry

Ahhh very true I will however not dismount without good reason though

Edit And if I may add not without returning to my mount quickly a Calvary man without the Calvary horse is not a Calvary.

I’ll dismount to take out a clueless sniper or to let my allies spawn but that’s about it.
  • KermitJ

I’d like to however see something other than the trench cav rifle though. Ik ik I’ve said it before and I’d say it again! I want my pieper carbine!! XD
  • Chubzdoomer
    1390 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    l_water_l wrote: »
    They really should give cav another option for the primary weapon.

This has needed to happen since launch. DICE is clearly asleep at the wheel when it comes to the cavalry class. It is embarrassingly underdeveloped compared to most everything else in the game.
  • Khal_Fraggo
    494 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I'm fine for tweaks while mounted, but they should NEVER give cav soldiers back the armor they had on foot.

They used to be 1-man armies that were pointless to take on 1v1 when they ran to your back-cap flag. And they aren't even Elite kits!
  • MissCommissar
    403 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Just bring old cavalary as it was and we will be fine... It wasn't OP or something like that, why did DICE nerf horse bois, no idea...
  • trm6
    trm6 wrote: »
    It hurts to read all the "cav nerfed to useless" threads. I love my pony. I rack up kills with the LT nades, the beautiful two shot rifle from out of range assaults and lmgs. I love flanking idiot scouts and applying harassment on contested flags. I also love being bait since every idiot will try to pound your horse with bullets just to get shoveled in the back of the head. I routinely drop 30-40 a round on horse and it is by far the most skilled and most satisfying class in the game. For all you dismount noobs, get better. ty
    You must have some kind of godly 'aura' that has telescopic LMGs rounds and AT rockets bouncing off it. I'm so jelly.

Nah, I am just good. You have gotten like 2 kills on horse in the last month and have clearly abused the dismount armor with having 2k kills off horse while only having 2k kills on horse. The aura I have is called "got good". You are still in the "get good" phase. More or less just looking for easy cheese play styles instead of properly harnessing true pony power, which is why you enjoyed your pistol armor dismount combo so much.
  • Chubzdoomer
    1390 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2018
    You must have some kind of godly 'aura' that has telescopic LMGs rounds and AT rockets bouncing off it. I'm so jelly.

Nah, I am just good. You have gotten like 2 kills on horse in the last month and have clearly abused the dismount armor with having 2k kills off horse while only having 2k kills on horse. The aura I have is called "got good". You are still in the "get good" phase. More or less just looking for easy cheese play styles instead of properly harnessing true pony power, which is why you enjoyed your pistol armor dismount combo so much.

You must be ungodly, then, because I never see cavalry dominate like you're claiming--like, ever.

Maybe you're playing on console? I'm sure that makes it a hell of a lot easier since cavalry is such a fast moving target, but still.
  • trm6

You must be ungodly, then, because I never see cavalry dominate like you're claiming--like, ever.

Maybe you're playing on console? I'm sure that makes it a hell of a lot easier since cavalry is such a fast moving target, but still.

Console yes, where the majority of BF players are. PC is irrelevant.
  • disposalist
    8298 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Lol. Console master-race comments? So cute.
  • diagoro
    1505 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Just got killed by a hellrgl, only too about 20 bullets while mounted. Was shocked how quick I died, literally 2 seconds tops.

Still had a good run, but all it takes is a player with great aim to destroy you far too quickly.

The worst is the lack of mobility. Horse feels much slower than originally, and it constantly stops for no reason.
  • RomioiStrategos
    402 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Lol. Console master-race comments? So cute.

I don't think there are better cavalrymen in the world than Slevvo and Wholehorse. My respect to them. I feel bad for any Cavalry main on PC if there is such a thing. Must be frustrating AF.
  • KermitJ
    @LOLGotYerTags

Could we stop this master race fighting pleas? Id like yo go back to the task at hand.
  • Narcizeus
    96 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2018

1. Removing increase armor for all non cavalry classes when on horseback. The reason is simple: cavalry class is literally the worst class to use whilst mounted, which is odd considering it's the cavalry class. I don't care that it benefits me as a pretty much mounted player if I see a free horse, it just doesn't make any sense.
    2. Increase the horses health by 10%-20%. I currently feel that it's far to easy to get instantly merc'd from a 100% health by even a small number of players, the extra few seconds would be quite useful for running away.
    3. Much better visual/audio indicators showing what the horses health is; again, it's sometimes quite difficult to know mid combat that your horses health went from 100%-6% when there is absolutely no indication in the game besides the number changing, this is really annoying
    4. Everyother class gets specializations except cavalry... why

I actually really do not want to see the horses health regen occur sooner/more quickly - this would lead to some really annoying cavalry duels.

I was in top10 cavalry for the first 5-6 months of BF1..

Yet the hit detection of sabre got **** after each patch and the famous armor nerf forced me to play less and less this class.. although I still pick it from time to time just to see it getting overwhelmed by assaults and supports..

1- Actually standart classes (assault,medic,etc) don’t get any buffs when riding a horse..

2- I think horsies HP is irrelevant of its survivability.. It’s the bad hit detection i mentioned thats causing the problem .. In the past when you run into a squad of 2-3 men from their back and it would end with all 3 dead.. but right now the sabre misses at least 1 of them and if by any chance he is support or so he will machine gun the hell out of u and depending on his weapon of choice it will most likely ends up killin u.. but again if choose to dismount and finish the job instead of running u are going to die even quicker .. cause now you are **** in 1vs1 unlike old days.. Even an old cavalry vet like me barely survives the 1vs1s even though using the element of surprise..

4- yeah why the hate.. cavalry getting none specialization while every class is having fun is beyond me..

5- agree, horsie healing is not an issue...

Have to add something to the list though... :
    Sometimes I have to dismount and kill a guy hiding in a place inaccesable while mounted and when I get back the horse is dead already or I watch its dying for no reason while running back to it ... this is really annoying and happens more frequent after the nerfs..

I dont know if there is a correlation with the distance between the cavalry - its horse or the time dismounted and its dying or but it seems so faking random to me..

I want back the old glory days (not necessarily the betw times) but i am not holding my breath..
  • Cydie
    27 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

This made all your comments about how godly you are with calvary irrelevant. You are not godly, your enemies are ****.