Weekly BF

Does anyone miss the close community of BC2/Vietnam/BF3/BF4? Why did they screw it up?

HiredRanger
101 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
edited February 2018
Was talking with some friends on Teamspeak tonight. We play other games but in the past, we could fill 2 BF4 servers easily. Now, no one plays Battlefield anymore. I was just saying I miss the good old days where TS was full and everyone that died would have a shot or those that didnt need it would just talk nonsense anyway. We had a little community that spanned from Britain to Turkey and even a couple of US guys and Canadians used to come on outside their timezones to join us.

Yet. BF1 absolutely killed it dead.

Sure, it was the gameplay to a certain extent. Many of us hated the original maps, the auto aim and all of that utter trash. Then, there was a massive influx of ex console players so you would be on teams where people literally did not know that spotting is a key measure of winning (hacking aside).

But the worse thing of all, was the UI. TOTAL ISOLATION. People not talking among themselves between rounds to pass the time, no one really caring who was on and who was not because at times it feels like your a passenger on a single player game with a load of bots. I think too much has been lost.

I would love to get back that feeling of BC2/Vietnam/BF3 or BF4. If we can do that and have the graphics of BF1 that would be nice (It would also be nice if there was mGPU if you're going to use DX12 which is a double edged sword). But regardless. The cold, horrible feel of the UI and the utterly hostile lack of integreations between this forum and it and the UI has been a killer.

I can honestly say I still regard previous games as the high point of Battlefield not because of the games themselves necessarily but because of the fun of playing with other people I liked. This feels like the worst of xbox. A place many of the newer folk are migrating from to play on a PC. I am of an age now where my friends sons and daughters are also playing (mine included) many dropped their consoles to play on PC but EA delivered them a better looking game, but with the absolute worst of UI. This UI is like Apple tried to design a UI and I may be being unkind to Apple. Origin is about as useful as Ubiplay but this is a step too far.

I badly regret any criticism I ever made of Battlelog. I did not know the option was infinitely worse. Literally the whole Origin/BFUI ecosystem would the thing I pick to encompass hostile, anti humanist design looks like. It is like the lunatics that outsource customer support to India also gave them design authority.

Comments

• F1aw1ess
    817 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2018
    Its been on a slow downward spiral for years, imo it started when the big companies stopped supplying the server files so we could no longer host our own dedicated servers on our own boxes, this all but killed a fairly large clan we had back in the day. its hard to build a new clan now as the costs of a server are so high for people starting out.

RIP (REAL) dedicated servers, you are sorely missed.
  • D5RAT
    2003 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2018
    I had a massive COD/BF online community , website,forums ,TS and a dedicated server running COD and BF3/4 servers from multiplay . The Xbox culture killed community , P2P gaming (IW net) , loss of dedicated servers ,RSP , in game voip , console only games, console specific games , lack of competitive modes, all these things chipped away at the pc community until we are no more than a niche "console " for AAA releases and indie games
    Post edited by D5RAT on
  • Zz_Nabu_zZ
    379 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Yes, i have the same feeling.
    Dice is responsible by killing the RSP.
  • schfifty_five_87
    15 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    OP hit the nail on the head. There was something about BF2 that made squad play so entertaining and necessary. I don't feel that with BF1, and to a much lesser extent BF4. But CQ Large maps on BF4 are generally bigger than BF1's, so riding around as squad to take objectives is way more viable, especially with the general faster speed of play in BF4.
  • Lahoo_Eckbert
    1284 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Because making games isn't about pleasing the gamer anymore, it is about pleasing the distributor. Welcome to 2010's my friend.
  • RandaII_Flagg
    38 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    For the past 10 years or so, I have been a member of a "clan" (more like a group of friends) that grew from about 15 people to over 170 regular players. We had one of the most popular servers in COD WAW, BF3, BF4 BFBC2 and a few others. It was such a great release to come home from work and spend a couple of hours laughing with my friends. Since the release of BF1 and it's ridiculous approach to server rental, we have pretty much disbanded. I talk to a couple of them now and then but, all of them...every last one of them...has lost interest in playing BF1. It's a real shame. I don't think EA and Dice really understand the impact these decisions have made on the community.
  • Zz_Nabu_zZ
    379 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I don't think EA and Dice really understand the impact these decisions have made on the community.

Yes, communities helped a lot to make Battlefield such a great game.
    Now Dice just doesn't care about them no more.
  • Sed1Tion
    341 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Gaming has changed since those days . There are a lot more PC gamers and they range in age unfortunately. Now every little kid has one in there bedroom, they are not all little toxic monsters and some cant help being useless or childish. Some of them are nice people and can play well. All age ranges are capable of being "annoying" whether they can actually play the game or not. But the juvenile behaviour seeps into and infects communities. Thats why there is none.

You can now be playing in a team from ages 5 to 65 and they are not all going to get along.
  • -Antares65z
    1657 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Just wait till rented servers become a thing of the past and there is no server browser to choose where you play. Sad to say but that's just around the corner. All of you using QM are supporting EA's quest to get rid of rented servers and the browser.
  • Red_Label_Scotch
    1233 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2018
    (What is QM?)
  • -Antares65z
    1657 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    (What is QM?)

Quick Match.
  • ATF_lateDENT
    304 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2018
    For the past 10 years or so, I have been a member of a "clan" (more like a group of friends) that grew from about 15 people to over 170 regular players. We had one of the most popular servers in COD WAW, BF3, BF4 BFBC2 and a few others. It was such a great release to come home from work and spend a couple of hours laughing with my friends. Since the release of BF1 and it's ridiculous approach to server rental, we have pretty much disbanded. I talk to a couple of them now and then but, all of them...every last one of them...has lost interest in playing BF1. It's a real shame. I don't think EA and Dice really understand the impact these decisions have made on the community.

In about the same boat Randall. I started PC online PC gaming with BF1942 and joined a social gaming clan when BF2 released (we have had members participate in competition stuff, but it's not our main focus). I have been in the same gaming clan since October of 2005 and things certainly have changed. We had divisions for WOW and CounterStrike and Planetside and Battlefield and COD, the list goes on and on. Our clan was close to a thousand members for a few years there with a persistent culture and friendships that spilled over beyond the computer. I watched as the removal of private servers killed the COD division, Tom Clancy games, etc and then BF1 hit and the few of us that remain are all older and it feels like we are playing on expensive consoles. Many of us still get on Teamspeak and join off each other through the friends list, but the way they hamstrung the RSP meant we stopped paying for a server a couple of months after launch. It is very hard to recruit new members. I honestly think EA won't do private servers at all in the future unless Activision goes back to doing it. It's all about chasing console dollars. If the mechanics of Battlefield games didn't appeal to my brain I would stop giving EA money going forwards, but our group is excited about Bad Company 3 on the horizon, and we have a group of people still playing 1942 on a daily basis that will probably jump at a new Battlefield WWII game.

Oh well, at least we got to enjoy PC gaming in it's heyday and see all that it could be.

BF1 sure is pretty.

• ATF_lateDENT
    304 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    (What is QM?)

Quick Match. It's where you let the game pick a server and mode for you to play. It's pretty much the antithesis of the old browser way you used to play Battlefield games where you searched by maplist or game type or server name and made favorites of the places you liked to play. That was how groups of people came together. It's still possible to do this in BF1 if you work at it, but the game is set up for you to load it up and hit the QM button so you can start playing with randoms as soon as possible. QM destroys communities and removes one of the big differences between playing on computers and on a console.
  • Avalanche-swe
    159 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    BF1 killed off the last sense of community and friendship with people in the game. No more dedicated servers, now you pay to rename a EA server and it took years after launch before you got basic admin stuff like kick, ban, vip list etc. BF will die a well deserved death if they continue this, the next logic step is like the guy above said, no server browser and no rentable servers.
    At that point only console players will play BF and the rest of us have to move on to other games.
  • AMARUa
    23 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I concur. I made lasting friendships starting with the PC version BF3 but i think the new UI and QM in BF1 killed it also. Plus the server requirements and admin limits hindered the game BF1 tremendously IMO....

Oh well.... If nothing changed everything would stay the same. They say.

DONT PRE ORDER AND maybe they will listen to the PC gaming base again. We have a voice use it! Dont pre-order until EA and DICE realize that their intransigence to the PC community on certain issues like rental server and the new UI upsets us. :smile:
  • Nejcooooo
    87 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2018
    You mean BF4 servers with 1 sniper limit, and 99 weapon restrictions, as well as balancer that kicks you in another team after winning for 20 min straight?

Naaaa I prefer BF1 community.
  • StJames0024
    162 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Zz_Nabu_zZ wrote: »
    I don't think EA and Dice really understand the impact these decisions have made on the community.

Yes, communities helped a lot to make Battlefield such a great game.
    Now Dice just doesn't care about them no more.

No not DICE. EA. EA has been the culprit of screwing up games and they're doing the same with Battlefield. And if DICE doesn't do what EA wants, then DICE will sadly end up in the graveyard with the other developers that EA killed. I hate EA and I try not to do business with them, but I won't drop my support for DICE.
  • Vespervin
    1344 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    BF1 murdered the group we had, but it started with BF4 and honestly, the new consoles.

We played on the Xbox 360 and almost half switched to the PlayStation 4 while the rest of us went to the Xbox One.

BF4 was a terrible launched and many quit because of that or stayed with BF3. There was only a small group that still played together. When BF1 launches we lost interest in BF and stopped playing, while I keep playing BF3&4.

But BF1 was nail in coffin.
  • Rossctone
    31 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    im in 5 clans together having over 500 players, none renting bf1 servers or buying came. Back in bf4 and bf3 was gold for platoons, teamplayers and serverowners.
  • RandaII_Flagg
    38 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    NejcCry wrote: »
    You mean BF4 servers with 1 sniper limit, and 99 weapon restrictions, as well as balancer that kicks you in another team after winning for 20 min straight?

Naaaa I prefer BF1 community.

I understand your opinion and respect it but, I think that that's one of the things that we lost. The ability to have a large and diverse group of servers to play on. I am not a big fan of weapons limits but, I know a lot of people who are. Now, no matter where you play, it's pretty much all the same. There may be a few minor differences here and there but, nowhere near the large scope of play styles as previous BF titles. That's one of the main reasons I fell in love with this franchise from the day BF42 came out.