Weekly BF

A small fix for Operations

KriZ_Rul3Z
296 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
If the attackers didn't manage to take a single defensive line in a wave, the game ends right there and then. Everyone gets their XP and they can move on to a more balanced round.

The behemoth is good for games where the attackers just needs a little extra push (f.e. only taking 2 points / wave), but not taking a single line is just pointless and annoying for everyone. No one likes playing the same point for three waves in a row.

This shouldn't take too much development work and could probably be implemented at least as a quick-fix in the very near future.

Comments

• V2Face
    2668 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    What you propose would kill Operations. It’s bad enough 64 player ops is the only choice for players this would do it for me. Sometimes attackers can come back from a blowout to win the map. Behemoths have a tendency to cause a chain reaction on capping points especially when the driver is competent.
  • Contra87
    698 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I agree with both of you, the Behemoth can make a difference in Ops, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if the match ended after two Battalions. If the attackers never control a point.
  • bleachee
    969 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I think the lesson is to never design a map where the first sector is really tough to take. It just kills the momentum and the quitting and team switching starts. Make the first sector favor the attackers just a bit, so that the game can begin to flow. Then if the attackers aren't up to the win, so be it.
  • boutneus
    2475 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Gotta love it when u see the behemoth on soissons camp, and use it like a regular tank. Or better yet, drive it out of bounds -.-
  • Contra87
    698 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited February 2018
    boutneus wrote: »
    Gotta love it when u see the behemoth on soissons camp, and use it like a regular tank. Or better yet, drive it out of bounds -.-

Those are the matches it wouldn't bother me to end after two battalions. A second behemoth and third battalion won't matter for the outcome. Just advance one or two more sectors, in most cases.

Edited: I mean that would be best case scenario most of the time.
  • KriZ_Rul3Z
    296 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    V2Face wrote: »
    What you propose would kill Operations. It’s bad enough 64 player ops is the only choice for players this would do it for me. Sometimes attackers can come back from a blowout to win the map. Behemoths have a tendency to cause a chain reaction on capping points especially when the driver is competent.

It's only possible when enough people get frustrated and quit, and an almost entirely new team joins. It's an extremely small chance. On the other hand, it does happen a lot that the attackers can't progress at all, and it's extremely frustrating. And that is what killing the mode more than anything, in my opinion. You have to sit there and get smacked in the face for about an hour. Isn't it more fun to throw in the towel after one miserable round and have a fresh start?
  • GiovannY-398
    776 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    So your fix actually punishes the defending team if they are able to defend a line within a wave? The match ends then and the defenders get a lower score than a full game of operations. This is going to cause some problems for defenders that want to complete operation campaigns.
  • V2Face
    2668 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    KriZ_Rul3Z wrote: »
    V2Face wrote: »

It's only possible when enough people get frustrated and quit, and an almost entirely new team joins. It's an extremely small chance. On the other hand, it does happen a lot that the attackers can't progress at all, and it's extremely frustrating. And that is what killing the mode more than anything, in my opinion. You have to sit there and get smacked in the face for about an hour. Isn't it more fun to throw in the towel after one miserable round and have a fresh start?

If 32 players can’t cap 2-3 flags per sector they deserve to lose. Op’s suggestions already exist by just using the quit function. Each match of Operations usually boils down to which team has the worst players 8/10..Coward players or cannon fodder usually stall the attack or defense.
  • ssjsnoop
    302 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Dude, it's not the maps, it's the teams. You can have huge comebacks on any sector.

I was playing Red Tide last night as defenders.

They steamrolled us on Volga River, they kept all 3 Battalions.

On Tsaritsyn, they took us immediately to the last sector. Me and my friend thought it was curtains for us. Another friend of ours hopped on Battlefront 2 and wanted to play with us and we told him don't worry we're about to lose we'll be right there.

We stopped ALL 3 BATTALIONS on that last sector! It was insane, me and my friend kept stopping them, we killed so many of them and their Sentries.

Game ended with me and my friend top of our team and the whole lobby, I went 66-29 24,000 pts, him above me with 89 kills and a couple hundred more points.

That was our most surprising getting steamrolled-to-comeback game we ever had and we won because of the two of us leading our team.

I love Operations.
  • KriZ_Rul3Z
    edited February 2018
    So your fix actually punishes the defending team if they are able to defend a line within a wave? The match ends then and the defenders get a lower score than a full game of operations. This is going to cause some problems for defenders that want to complete operation campaigns.

Not at all. The defenders get all the points and XP they earned, because the Operation will be completed.

On top of that, with the time they saved, they can move on to a more balanced game as well. Mowing down enemies is fun for a few minutes, but it does get old, doesn't it? I myself never liked steamrolling the enemy, I like balanced games where until the very end you're not sure who will win. In those games it doesn't even matter if you win or lose, you had an exciting game and that's what matters.

Operations will still be a challenge, and will still be able to give those close games. But it completely eliminates the steamroll games where all 90% of your team plays sniper and you're constantly rushing to your death alone because no one is pushing up.

It's a win for everyone.
  • Narcizeus
    96 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    KriZ_Rul3Z wrote: »
    If the attackers didn't manage to take a single defensive line in a wave, the game ends right there and then. Everyone gets their XP and they can move on to a more balanced round.

This mode is already in the game.. Search rush in the server browser..
  • KriZ_Rul3Z
    How is Rush the same as 64P vehicle/behemoth supported multilevel epic gamemode Operations?

BF4 Rush was awesome, BF1 Rush is garbage.