Let's Stop Freaking Out and Just Think About The TTK Changes For a Second

2»

Comments

• dtzoom
    16 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Note: this is NOT about weapon balance. Don't talk about the Hellreigel, RSC, etc, I know those are considered unbalanced. That's not what I'm talking about.

Fundamentally, what does decreasing the time to kill (slightly) mean? How does it affect how a fight plays out?

Well, what it really changes is your margin of error when fired upon. A longer TTK gives you time to seek cover and avoid incoming fire. The longer the TTK, the easier it is to survive enemy fire, and the less effective getting the jump on someone will be since they will have time to run out of your line of fire. Combined with the buff to bipod LMGs, I can only conclude the intention here is to create gameplay where supports lock down fields of fire with LMGs that Assaults can't just bunny hop or twitch shoot their way out of. It also means that if you get ambushed/blindsided by a hidden/flanking opponent, you're probably going to die.

This means two things have to change in the way we play:

1. You must be more careful with how you advance. You must think about where supports can set up, where the fields of fire are, and the routes through the map that minimize exposure to firing lanes. If this isn't possible (it isn't always), then your team needs to be able to counter static enemy defensive positions with their own machinegunners, scouts (particularly effective against bipod users, it must be noted), good grenade/mortar placement, and gas/smoke grenade usage. In other words, an advance requires a bit more finesse than simply running forward and hip-firing anyone you see with the Hellreigel.

2. You need to be aware of where you teammates are and whether a given route through the map is covered; an open movement route is one that can be used to flank, and now that flanking is deadlier, that's something you want to avoid. You need to cover all bases and have control of your frontline, not be rushing around in a mob that can be manuevered around.

I will agree this change wasn't really needed, but nothing that's really changed from this TTK update is terribly taxing or arduous; it's just asking people to be a bit more careful and a bit more observant of the map and where they place themselves and how they move through it. I realize positioning and movement are often not prioritized by many people in FPS in favour of the holy recoil control/aim/twitch reflex trifecta that is considered the hallmark of skill, but I see nothing wrong with making it necessary in a game like this.

unfortunately, none of this explains the current squad imbalance. If players worked as a team this would make sense, but Operations rounds with 40 people playing assault says the opposite. People aren't locking down fields of fire. They're zerging and spawn camping. What is the point of a limpet charge if you're never close enough to use it? Dropping ammo 100 yards behind the objective is also useless.
  • LieutenantVixen
    200 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    dtzoom wrote: »

unfortunately, none of this explains the current squad imbalance. If players worked as a team this would make sense, but Operations rounds with 40 people playing assault says the opposite. People aren't locking down fields of fire. They're zerging and spawn camping. What is the point of a limpet charge if you're never close enough to use it? Dropping ammo 100 yards behind the objective is also useless.
    Many people seem to find running forward spraying the Hellriegel easier than doing something more useful. Theyre mostly just cannon fodder for people with longer range weapons.

The TTK isnt whats relevant there, its the weapon balancing. The Hellriegel is basically a WW1 PPSh - give something a mag that big and an rpm fast enough and people naturally flock to it for MORE DAKKA.
  • FightinFinn187
    697 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited February 13
    HuwJarz wrote: »
    Ttk changes have made th game better. Most guns apart from about 5 were useless obsolete wastes of time.
    Stop moaning and get on with it.

Erm - Most people disagree with your statement. The majority here think the game is far worse, not just for gameplay, but there are now more base rapes etc. I am not exactly seeing greater diversification of weapons either. In fact, the Hellriegal is used even more. So basically everything you just said is either not a popular view or actually plain wrong.

Keep track of the community population over the next few weeks, the average player doesn't come on here to speak their mind and I have the feeling TTK 2.0 might have been the proverbial nail in the coffin, if the current trend continues.
    https://battlefieldtracker.com/bf1/insights/population?days=30
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6
    367 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Ttk changes have made th game better. Most guns apart from about 5 were useless obsolete wastes of time.

Erm - Most people disagree with your statement. The majority here think the game is far worse, not just for gameplay, but there are now more base rapes etc. I am not exactly seeing greater diversification of weapons either. In fact, the Hellriegal is used even more. So basically everything you just said is either not a popular view or actually plain wrong.

Keep track of the community population over the next few weeks, the average player doesn't come on here to speak their mind and I have the feeling TTK 2.0 might have been the proverbial nail in the coffin, if the current trend continues.

Yep, the sales were the only thing keeping it going, but now that they're over, we'll see what the real deal is, and it's not looking good.
  • spartanx169x
    180 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Glad to see there is at least one more person than me that is concerned for the overall population of the game. I'm fully expecting a further decline and maybe even accelerated at that.
  • FightinFinn187
    697 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Glad to see there is at least one more person than me that is concerned for the overall population of the game. I'm fully expecting a further decline and maybe even accelerated at that.

I would love to see this game have the longevity that BF4 had, but I don't see that happening now. Like I have said on other threads, I still do well with TTK2.0, I might even be better, but it just isn't as fun as it used to be and I am definitely playing less than before.
  • spartanx169x
    180 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

I would love to see this game have the longevity that BF4 had, but I don't see that happening now. Like I have said on other threads, I still do well with TTK2.0, I might even be better, but it just isn't as fun as it used to be and I am definitely playing less than before.

I've said the exact same thing.
  • disposalist
    6134 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    They didn't need to amp every single SMG to balance them. Nor did they need to do the simultaneous buff/nerf on all LMGs to balance them.

They messed with core gunplay and game pace to make BF1 more like BF4. Not what wanted or needed.
  • disposalist
    6134 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    boutneus wrote: »
    It promotes camping for all classes except assault (op class more op) due to I see you first you die first. You’re less likely to get revived/find ammo because your team is hanging back waiting for the assaults to move up. It boxes classes into certain play styles (Agro scout RIP, run &gun support rare,tons of rifle nade meds) which is bad.
    And it sucks the fun out of the game because everything is slowed down (players way more cautious now)
    True, until you get to the objective and CQC. Then the pace goes bananas. The worst of both worlds.
  • bran1986
    3455 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    boutneus wrote: »
    It promotes camping for all classes except assault (op class more op) due to I see you first you die first. You’re less likely to get revived/find ammo because your team is hanging back waiting for the assaults to move up. It boxes classes into certain play styles (Agro scout RIP, run &gun support rare,tons of rifle nade meds) which is bad.
    And it sucks the fun out of the game because everything is slowed down (players way more cautious now)
    True, until you get to the objective and CQC. Then the pace goes bananas. The worst of both worlds.

That is my biggest problem, the game just feels disjointed.