Hate speech multiplayer filter?

Cedar-Vexar
38 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
edited February 13
I'm sure I'm not the first to bring this up, but is there any way to filter the appalling displays of racist and **** speech in multiplayer games? While I otherwise enjoy the using the chat box to communicate with other players, more times than not I turn it off due the few who would use it as a platform for expressing dehumanizing sentiments that target race, ethnicity, religion, and sexual orientation.

Thanks.
Post edited by Cedar-Vexar on

Comments

• Cedar-Vexar
    edited February 13
    From my own post above I see this forum has such a filter when it automatically blocked a common, non-pejorative adjective describing fear of same-sex orientation. Why not a similar filter for the chat box?
    Post edited by Cedar-Vexar on
  • FightinFinn187
    717 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Comments like this, make me appreciate the lack of this feature on console.
  • Cedar-Vexar
    I didn't realize consoles don't have the chat box. Mixed blessing, I guess. Thanks for the response.
  • BobsAndVegane
    1252 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    You can press H to preserve your feelings.
  • Cedar-Vexar

It's not just about my feelings, but then you know that.
  • aseveredfoot
    2287 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

I feel the same. I bet on console it'd be even worse, honestly.
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    2601 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    There is nothing that can be done. At this point, it would be best to keep the chat hidden for most matches.
  • BobsAndVegane
    1252 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

It's not just about my feelings, but then you know that.

What I know is that you have played at least three online games and still haven't figured out that there is nothing unusual about anti-social behavior in the chat.

If people can't handle being called a derogatory term for, let's call him, a man of African descent with a fondness for his own gender, then they really shouldn't be playing online videogames.

I myself have encountered players who spoke disparagingly of my own race, yet I find no need to censor the ingame chat.
  • Cedar-Vexar
    Sadly, nothing unusual about racist or otherwise behavior on chat, however on many of the the BF4 servers there were scripts running that would automatically identify such speech and squelch and/or ban the offending players. I'm just wondering why this hasn't made it over to BF1 servers; obviously it's not that difficult. Again, look at the filters at work on this forum.
  • FightinFinn187

Yep, the fact that consoles are much more accessible than PC, I would wager the average age of the population of just about any game on console is considerably lower. Which means more unstable, hormone driven accusations and rages.
  • Trokey66
    6198 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Yep, the fact that consoles are much more accessible than PC, I would wager the average age of the population of just about any game on console is considerably lower. Which means more unstable, hormone driven accusations and rages.

Actually a quick Google search reveals that (as of 2016) the average age of console gamers is 35.

Who'd have thought it.....
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    2601 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    In a video game, and anonymous online personas in general, people tend to say rather nasty things that they wouldn't normally say out in public, usually because they fear social consequences (part and parcel of the right of freedom of speech). They harbour these feelings, but they can't say them - until, of course, they can say them without anyone knowing who they are.

In a sense, they are doing everyone a favour; they are broadcasting to the world that they have a terrible ideology. Even if they are trolls, they are pathetic enough to pretend to be an absolute imbecile, and only a total and utter loser pretends to be an imbecile.

EA won't do anything about it, mostly because they don't really care (unless they show up in the news and end up losing money - then, they will care). Seriously, the very second I hear stuff like this in the chat, I turn it off and leave it off until I leave the server. If there was valuable information being posted on it, that's just ... too bad. Whoever was posting that information has the rest of his servermates to thank when I don't pay heed to their requests or warnings.
  • Cedar-Vexar
    edited February 13
    It's interesting that with BF1 at least EA seems to be reaching out to people of color and otherwise with the promotional illustrations, and the addition of female snipers on the Russian maps; there's even a gender-ambiguous soldier on the BF1 startup splash screen.
  • FightinFinn187
    Trokey66 wrote: »

Actually a quick Google search reveals that (as of 2016) the average age of console gamers is 35.

That is surprising, but would it be fair to say that there would be more as a total vs a percentage of the population?
  • BobsAndVegane
    It's interesting that with BF1 at least EA seems to be reaching out to people of color and otherwise with the promotional illustrations, and the addition of female snipers on the Russian maps; there's even a gender-ambiguous soldier on the BF1 startup splash screen.

Wow. You really bamboozled me, I thought you were serious. 8/8 b8 m8, truly.
  • aseveredfoot
    2287 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Trokey66 wrote: »

Ugh. I'm so average then.

But yeah, if I play out of party with mic'd players on PS4, you either get old dumb guys, or young dumb guys. The only true average seems to be an upper double digit IQ sadly.
  • Cedar-Vexar
    edited February 13
    Mic'd play never did much for me, tending to pull me out of the game more than helping with it. I think it was listening to a child cursing incessantly like a pirate once that finally put me off the mic.
  • FightinFinn187
    Mic'd play never did much for me, tending to pull me out of the game more than helping with it. I think it was listening to a child cursing incessantly like a pirate once that finally put me off the mic.

Every time I have had a headset on, I end up hearing a person bellyaching about the game and how unfairly he/she was killed. If you say something to them about it, then they never shut up. Therefore, I no longer use a mic period. Unless, I am in a private party of course.
  • CHEFARZT1
    80 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited February 13
    Thats`s what you get when effectivly killing off administrated servers. Actually i`d love to see the removal of any moderation on the forums and the increase in quality, coz, you know, just deal with it.
  • MayorMarionBarry
    2013 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Interesting. Most of the time someone has a mic on, all I hear is loud breathing, frustrated groans, terrible scratchy music and/or a T.V. in the background, and their wife/mom yelling at someone .