Never seen a BF1 spawn trap until patch...

Rotank
981 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Close to 100% of my rounds of CQ since the TuTi patch have been steamrolls, to the point that every single flag is owned by 1 team within the first 2 minutes of the game. I have almost never seen what a spawn trap looks like in BF1 up to this point, and now in just the last 2 weeks of playing every single match devolves into 1 team playing whack-a-mole with the other.

I have used both the server browser and quick match to join mixed servers, base game, as well as each expansion individually, with the same results. I will typically stick around in a server for 2-3 whole matches, and it used to be that you won one, you lost one... but now I find that if a server is being steamrolled, it will continue the same match after match.

I’ve become incredibly frustrated. I love BF1, but I’m on the verge of putting it away permanently because of this... it is not fun being on either side of this equation. I joined 6-8 different servers in quick succession last night just seeking out a match that seemed relatively well balanced. In every single game I joined, all flags were owned by 1 team. In one round of pris de tahure, enemy assaults were actually tossing AT grenades into the OOB spawn area, directly on top of spawn points, making it literally impossible to spawn without being blown up.

After spending a good 30 minutes looking for games, I found a relatively balanced match on Amiens. We lost, but it was competitive and I enjoyed it. It shouldn’t be this hair-pullingly frustrating to find a decent game though, should it?

Comments

• Imabaka70
    2293 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I've found I look for games that have 2-3 in a queue waiting and not empty spots. Way more likely a decent game with out people quiting out b
  • Rotank
    Imabaka70 wrote: »
    I've found I look for games that have 2-3 in a queue waiting and not empty spots. Way more likely a decent game with out people quiting out b

That’s not a bad idea, might try that - it would be worth waiting just a little longer for.
  • Imabaka70
    2293 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    In my experience it seems to be that way. Last night every time I searched for a game that had open spots it was a massive stomp

My platoon and I played a round of operations on foa and for the first round it stuck most of use on the defending side that really didn't need us at all. That first round they didn't even take the first sector. When the next round started I noticed half their team quit. So we switched sides and pushed all the way thru to suez. Sadly can't tell you what happened then cause I had to leave.

The round balancer I still haven't figured out how it can stack a team so badly.
  • Danz_RS
    366 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    You probably had not played the game enough before the patch. Some maps always had it worse though.
  • Gforce81
    3344 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I have seen a pretty major increase in these lopsided games too.
  • BoomMaister
    56 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I probably see 1-2 matches, in a 2hr+ gaming session, where one team controls all flags.

From what I notice in these matches, one team tends to push for middle flags at the start; while the other team clusters on the gimme flag and some run towards their favorite ocamping spot. After that, it's pretty much game over.

Also, spawn trap has been around since I've played this game.
  • IG-Calibre
    966 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

not really usually those that leave are on the losing side and that's where you're placed from the queue, the balance in this game is horrendous, gave up after 5 different matches today being on teams getting steamrollered.
  • Rotank
    I probably see 1-2 matches, in a 2hr+ gaming session, where one team controls all flags.

From what I notice in these matches, one team tends to push for middle flags at the start; while the other team clusters on the gimme flag and some run towards their favorite ocamping spot. After that, it's pretty much game over.

Also, spawn trap has been around since I've played this game.

I’ve played since bf2 (and also played 1942), so I’ve seen spawn traps you wouldn’t believe. Never experienced them much in bf1 though, at least not to the extent that there was no possible way to break out. The last couple weeks have been pretty egregious.

Trust me, I understand that it is just impossible to win every game of cq with 64 players, and I typically don’t mind. I would rather lose a well fought game than be on the winning side of a steamroll, any day of the week. I also care little about my stats - in fact, personally I often perform better when I’m on the losing team. What I’m referring to is a different beast - one team being down by 10 or more players, being spawn killed repeatedly without being able to react, teams NOT rebalancing in between matches, resulting in the exact same outcome map after map, etc.

BTW, i’ve been playing since launch, but did take a hiatus during the fall and summer.
  • IllIllIII
    4218 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

Many games i join are like 58/64 (because my friend needs to join too) and i end up 3rd in queue.... makes no sense.
  • sky-scanner82
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    yes i agree. ever since the last update, almost all games i join have the sate scenario. one team barely captures a single flag while the other team dominates the entire map on conquest.

I know what others would say, "spawn traps have always been there", " you probably didn't play bf before" and so on.

I have been playing bf since bf3, not so old, but i KNOW for a fact that there is something different now. in bf1 before update 1.18 the teams were always balanced and you could break from spawn traps if you played it well. now its a done deal. better use the time and cook your dinner and check on the game from time to time or do something useful cause you aint getting outta it. In my case, I would think its one bad game, maybe two bad games a night maybe three.. but all?! both sides do not enjoy this type of scenario, the winning and loosing side.

I have faith in Dice to fix the game as i have been enjoying it ever since its release.
  • disposalist
    7276 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    With one of TTK2's stated aims being making it easier for players to kill multiple enemies, yeah, I could see a side-effect being more one-sided matches.

TTK2 basically makes it easier for skilled players to dominate even more than they did before, so I suppose it's bound to produce more extreme matches more regularly.

Another benefit of the 'higher skill ceiling' that TTK2 apparently brings.
  • Danz_RS
    366 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    With one of TTK2's stated aims being making it easier for players to kill multiple enemies, yeah, I could see a side-effect being more one-sided matches.

TTK2 basically makes it easier for skilled players to dominate even more than they did before, so I suppose it's bound to produce more extreme matches more regularly.

So noobs should have a better chance instead? The game has been out for almost a year and a half, there has been enough time for people to learn to play it.

Improvements have been made to make it less casual as well, including the aim assist nerf and the ttk patch that benefits the ones who can aim faster and more precisely.

• Rotank
    Danz_RS wrote: »

So noobs should have a better chance instead? The game has been out for almost a year and a half, there has been enough time for people to learn to play it.

Improvements have been made to make it less casual as well, including the aim assist nerf and the ttk patch that benefits the ones who can aim faster and more precisely.

Your opinion about “noobs” and “casual” are irrelevant to any meaningful conversation about any game out there.

I don’t know whether or not ttk2 is contributing to a greater number of severely unbalanced matches. However, severely unbalanced matches are objectively a bad thing, as it makes the game less competitive and less fun for everybody on both sides. If Ttk2 is contributing to this, then it is a detriment to the game as well.
  • disposalist
    7276 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Danz_RS wrote: »

Those with higher skill will always win, the question is, when you become highly skilled, do you want the game to have no challenge left?

Any truly skilled player will want noobs to still be something they have to be cautious of. I guess some just like pub stomping.
  • poegle87
    126 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I've had mixed rounds lately, some have been very close consistently when people have stayed and those do tend to be the servers you queue for. I also joined a non dice server for once that had all maps which was full and had a much better game as it had an admin playing, everyone was friendly and had close games.

Other times I have been in games where either my team have steamrolled the other over and over or my team has been steamrolled. I usually leave after a few rounds when my team are losing that badly each time, but last night I stayed longer. What happened was the platoon carrying that team in planes were killed by me and other pilots right at the start, so they left to find another server. We then steamrolled the enemy team after they did it to us and rubbing it in for four games in a row, where they all then quit.

I have noticed though since the patch when all flags are captured it really is just a case of spawning being shot at instantly. But then on the other hand most teams that lose that badly don't really think out the box and will just keep running into direct fire rather than flanking, so it may not be the patch at all.
  • V2Face
    2558 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Steam rolls were the norm before the patch. It seems like we acquired the super casual and COD population of players who don’t understand teamwork yet or do not want to work as a team.
  • Rotank
    V2Face wrote: »
    Steam rolls were the norm before the patch. It seems like we acquired the super casual and COD population of players who don’t understand teamwork yet or do not want to work as a team.

Steamrolls were NOT the norm in my experience in the months leading up to this patch, even after the original TuTi update in December. Also, it’s nice that so many people are suddenly so condescending and derogatory to individual players in a 64 player game mode, but the theory at least is that there is a balance of all types of players on both teams. I do not know what, if anything, happened behind the scenes of the last patch, but it doesn’t appear to just be my experience.

Also, I have been playing BF1 since day 1, I love the game, defended it frequently in the early days, and do personally perform just as well before and after the patch. It is pretty ignorant to simply condescend an imaginary chunk of a diverse player base to justify severe game imbalances, whether they existed previously or not.
  • V2Face
    2558 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Rotank wrote: »
    V2Face wrote: »

Steamrolls were NOT the norm in my experience in the months leading up to this patch, even after the original TuTi update in December. Also, it’s nice that so many people are suddenly so condescending and derogatory to individual players in a 64 player game mode, but the theory at least is that there is a balance of all types of players on both teams. I do not know what, if anything, happened behind the scenes of the last patch, but it doesn’t appear to just be my experience.

Also, I have been playing BF1 since day 1, I love the game, defended it frequently in the early days, and do personally perform just as well before and after the patch. It is pretty ignorant to simply condescend an imaginary chunk of a diverse player base to justify severe game imbalances, whether they existed previously or not.

Who’s being condescending? This is my own personal experience, the ttk patch didn’t cause landslides to shoot up. It’s been the same for me, your problems seem like anecdotal evidence at best. It’s natural to blame your own misfortunes on the patch but, in reality the patch only changed the gun balance not players going for the objectives.