Your Favorite Scouts?

freethemuze
postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Hey guys,

Pretty new to BF1, or BF in general actually (coming from COD). I really like the scout class and try to play in a way that helps the team the most.

How do you like the scouts to play, or what style is the most helpful?

My average game play is usually covering other players who are pushing up to the objective, covering players at a medium distance who are engaged (defense), or even caping objectives on occasion. Use my flares as often as possible and almost always use as many K-bullets as possible on tanks. I also spot enemies if they're too far away to engage. I ALWAYS use iron-sites (Russian Infantry), so I literally have to be right behind my team - if not in the trenches with them. I like the idea of an agro-scout but it seems terribly ineffective and doesn't fulfill the niche duties of the scout. Tell me what I can do to help the team! Just so you guys know, decent scouts loathe the hill-humpers too.

Comments

• BobsAndVegane
    1252 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I would have taken a jab at corner of the map campers, but instead I'll answer seriously. I also think the Russian 1895 Infantry is a good gun, but I also like the Gewehr M95 Infantry and, ever since Turning Tides came out, the Carcano. Ever since the tripmines were buffed, I've been placing them around the map trying to get a service star on each. Otherwise, I'd spawn with K bullets. And naturally, spotting flares are a must.
  • disposalist
    6973 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited February 14
    Tactics depend on the map and the flag you are needing to take.

On average, though, I find I am using the SMLE Carbine (it can snipe at good range and can also be hip-fired like a shotgun - it's the most forgiving), spotting flares and K bullets.

I tend to snipe and provide a spawn point until the squad turns up, then follow quite a few meters behind sending the flares ahead and picking off flanking attackers.

A good scout will spend a LOT of time bugging support players in order to replenish flares.

K bullets are good to stop tanks repairing while your squad takes them out. Trip mines can be good for defending your position though. Remember they can be picked up again when you move on.

Smoke grenades are good for taking flags (help your team stay hidden while taking the objective) and also good for if you have to get in close. Smoke + Flares = sidearm + melee takedown fun.
  • AlotOfThunder
    1537 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    it brings me joy when i see scouts amongst the team with an infantry rifle/carbine and spotting flareguns.
  • SirSpectacle
    400 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    The Pilot class makes for the best scout. Frommer Stop Auto + spotting flares, oh my.
  • TankGewehr1917
    1055 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Marksman rifles can also be pretty helpful, as they only have 4x zoom so I wouldn’t discount them. But as scout all you really can do is pick people off and spam flares along with the occasionally K bullet at a tank that is trying to repair or plane.
  • Ace-Cardd
    165 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited February 14
    Scaut is the hardest class to play close to the objective. If you practice drag shot, you will be able to push to the objective in the first line with any rifle and scope like Stodeh or Ravic. I play with sniper variants at any distance (i love m1903). Use your flares carefully, only if you know that enemies are nearby objective. I know from experience that it is hard to receive any ammo pack from support. I use tripwire to secure objective.
    Your main goals:
    1. Kill enemy soldiers who use aa. (air support is very important for your team)
    2. Kill enemy snipers and supports for team protection on the objective. If you already have some skills try to hunt enemy medics. They are very important for enemy team.
    4. Spotting enemies.
    5. Use flares on objective.
  • disposalist
    6973 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    The Pilot class makes for the best scout. Frommer Stop Auto + spotting flares, oh my.
    That C93 dog tag is ruining my airman-on-the-ground fun... It's gonna take an age to get it, because it's so awful. In the meantime I'm missing out on the Frommer Stop Auto...
  • Ploodovic
    947 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    That C93 dog tag is ruining my airman-on-the-ground fun... It's gonna take an age to get it, because it's so awful. In the meantime I'm missing out on the Frommer Stop Auto...
    I’m halfway there, 50 kills in… how many months since it was released, five? If only the weapon got some love in the weapon rebalance, it’s even harder to get kills with now.
  • GhenQui
    15 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    SMLE Carbine is a best of both words rifle and one of my favorites (80 stars).

With red dot sight and 2.5x mag you can be surprisingly accurate at distance. It's a forgiving gun too, with half the bullet spread while moving ADS vs iron sight rifles. You can even hipfire the damn thing with relative accuracy. It's a gun that is effective up close and at medium range.

If true iron sights are a must then check out the Lebel Infantry. Good rate of fire, a sweet spot of 50-88m and an iron fine enough to let you make those long shots.

If you want to get closer in the trenches you can't go wrong with the G95. The Vetterli is another favorite for closer engagements but it takes some practice to get used to the obstructive sights. Use the radium for that one, its actually finer than the iron sight.
  • V2Face
    2469 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    The scout is best utilized as objective oversight when playing mid to long range. Use Marksman, Carbine or infantry variants because lowered magnification allows for faster target acquisition. If you play close to objectives use peek a boo tactics to pick off enemies moving from the flags. Leaving yourself exposed gets you killed often. When on a contested or high traffic flag pop flares to help you and your team have eyes on the enemy for duration of the cap. Have a fast firing or heavy hitting handgun to couple with the rifle to deal with enemies.
  • clouseau2112
    74 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong with the M95 Gewehr Infantry.
    If u wanna help the team, cap flags, cover medium / short range AND use those spotting flares.
    I run aggressive Scout and also Medic. I've learned how to handle myself short and medium range w/ the M95 G. Infantry. Takes A LOT of practice....and I will also tell u to turn auto aim OFF, if u want to learn how to aim well.
  • Hawxxeye
    1251 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    For me the most important thing for a scout is to provide this flare spotting.
    In terms of the rifle choice I do not think it is as important as what one chooses to do with it. Even a sniper variant rifle can be taken nice and close to the action.
  • KrugHerder
    79 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    My favorite scout is a dead scout...
  • BobsAndVegane
    1252 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

I've got 30 to go until I get the service star. Once you get the hang of it, it's not that bad (although bear in mind that I'm not saying it's good, either). I've never actually heard anyone else use it, but it seems like the suppressor actually serves a purpose. All the times I've bailed out way behind enemy lines, I've been able to kill a few people without alerting them.

The trick is to hipfire within like 10 or so meters. Try to lure the enemy in close, because it's almost useless at long ranges. It goes without saying that you shouldn't aim down the sights. Give your pilot the perk that renders you useless to spot flares and you'll be the perfect squad spawn point.
  • Sixclicks
    3298 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited February 15
    Use K bullets against planes and light vehicles... tanks as well to keep them from repairing.

Use tripmines (I use HE) on maps without vehicles. Leave them in commonly traveled pathways to objectives. Just don't ever lay them by your feet where you or teammates are fighting since a grenade or mortar can set them off and kill you and your nearby teammates (got a quad mortar kill not too long ago because an enemy scout did this).

Use the Arisaka for medium range or the G98 Sniper/Marksman for medium/long range if you're good enough to consistently land headshots (it's the best rifle for getting headshots). The SMLE isn't a bad choice either, but I prefer the Arisaka.

Spot everything you see and use your flares on objectives that teammates are approaching/contesting.

When moving into CQB ranges such as on objectives, pull out the Bodeo pistol so that you have a chance against assault players. Otherwise you'll likely die.

Also, always keep moving except when taking a shot (if you're moving when you shoot your shot might miss due to spread). I almost never use the bipod on my rifles. It makes it too easy for enemy scouts to headshot you. Although I guess that's just my preference. I never like standing still.

Truly aggressive scouting isn't really worth doing anymore after the last update. It's still possible, but you're going to struggle unless you're a headshot pro. Your best bet is to just stay behind your teammates with better weapons suited to rushing objectives while you provide them with covering fire, spotting, and eliminate enemy snipers. Don't play passively. Play semi-aggressively. Move into the objective once it's relatively safe or you're confident you can handle the enemy players that are left with your pistol to get some capture points.

That's pretty much all there is to it.
  • Hawxxeye
    1251 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited February 15
    I think that the Vetterli-Vitali M1870 is my new favourite scout rifle:
    >Its sweetspot is even closer than the Martini Henry making it an even better aggressive rifle.
    >It actually has a mid range scoped version
    >It has 4 shots per reload as opposed to the one of the martini's one shot.

A scout that follows his team very closely can wreak havoc with this