Weekly Debrief

Has anyone else switched games because of the recent patch?

MigueTK
679 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
Even though the population count has continued its downward trend, I'm wondering if that's due to people not liking the changes or just a natural effect of an old game. It's kind of ironic because the devs said they wanted to make the game feel more like BF4, and these changes actually made me go back to it. I hadn't played BF1 much until before Turning Tides dropped since there wasn't much content in the base game. I actually looked forward to playing BF1 pre-patch every night after work since I had new specializations and gun unlocks to work towards. The main unlocks I was going for were the level ten elite guns starting with my least played class, the scout. I'm glad I was able to get the Martini Henry Sniper pre-patch as it would have been extremely difficult with TTK 2.0. I continued for a bit working towards other weapon unlocks ( the Arisaka Type 38 could have been good pre-patch at mid range if it weren't for those laser beams medics are firing now), and tried playing TDM to unlock the remaining weapons, except now it just feels terrible.

I don't consider myself a pro player but at least above average, and I've noticed that even if I get the drop on someone they turn around and kill me with much higher consistency. That's even if you can get close enough to surprise them since CQC is too fast now that favors automatic weapons. The Russian 1895 trench was actually somewhat viable for a PTFO scout, now it's useless. All I'm saying is that the gameplay was fundamentally shifted too far in one direction and it has not really made it fun for me anymore. I played BF1 for its different mechanics and gunplay ( I love vaulting over higher walls compared to BF4), and that was it's main appeal, an actually different game with different gameplay.

If the devs really want to make it like BF4, then what's keeping me here? The setting? The somewhat different and new mechanics? The graphics? I don't think those aren't compelling enough reasons to keep people playing BF1 for a long time since most of the glamour of the setting has faded and the casuals dropped it already. It's sad because I did enjoy this game despite the fact that I personally cannot stand iron sights. I guess I will go back to trolling people with my frag rounds in TDM.

BTW I know it's kinda off topic but has anyone tried using the frag rounds extensively in BF4? It is the main thing keeping me playing, I absolutely loved learning how to best use them. The most fun I ever had was learning the projectile curve and splash damage advantage. I build up squad points to get to level three at least by reviving first. Then I switch to support with 50% increased suppression unlocked and the M1014 which can reload cancel fire. I love the salt I get from players who don't know wtf happened and bonus points for when they try to run my kit. Almost none even have the frag round ammo type unlocked, and most have iron sights on the shotty. All the kills I have with the M1014 are from frag rounds minus the ammo unlock count. Where is the fun in BF1 with their new bland gunplay?

Comments

• dfwviking
    199 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Waiting for Far Cry 5, then I will
  • HandsomeBearCub
    280 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Try working on your positioning when using infantry rifles(much like you would with any other CQC focused weapon). The Russian Trench and Carcano are still viable after the patch keeping what I said first in mind. No idea why you think "the casuals" left the game, they most certainly did not. Why do you think the gunplay is "bland" with the patch?
    -
    If you're an above average player you can still do very well after the patch in my experience, I've done so with all classes(including aggressive scout) but support- I haven't tried playing support a lot at all so far- and I'm not a "pro" either.
    -
    BF1 was always supposed to have a "rock-paper-scissor" type gun balance. This patch has made that a bit more noticable, requiring you do have better positioning when you are fighting at a range that isn't optimized for your weapon, not much more.
  • MigueTK
    679 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I should have clarified that the casuals were the people that got into the game during the holidays based purely on the setting, and the steep drop off that followed means that most left. While I do agree that positioning is more important now, it seems that it's mostly irrelevant because things happen so much more quickly. I have noticed that it's rare to be left with a small amount of health after encounters that are like mid range to close range, what happens is that either one of us dies with no chance to reposition and get away. Personally I have seen way more camping on LMG bipods on conquest as well. I mostly played TDM to unlock the weapons that I wanted to and before the patch I could use the 1895 Trench in CQC and come out OK, except now it's mostly irrelevant at such close range, I do understand that its two shot kill potential was buffed but I admit that I suck at that range with iron sights. I still think scouts should be viable in CQC to help a squad capture a flag and zone lanes with their "claymores" and spot enemies with their flares.

As far as bland gunplay that's pretty much exactly what you said, rock paper scissors. Because of the new stats tuning, using anything other than the guns DICE wants us to leads to the same boring weapons that are now clearly over represented (noobreigel). There are no niche outliers that can be viable within their respective class. For example, the AN-94 in BF4 has a faster rate of fire in burst mode. I would use it with a bipod and heavy barrel and pretty much use it as a three shot sniper rifle. good times.

I guess it boils down to a matter of choice? Do I want to play the game the way I want to, or play it the way DICE wants us to?
  • bran1986
    5757 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I play it less, been playing Kingdom Come Deliverance and kind of put BF1 to the side for the time being.
  • MigueTK
    Try working on your positioning when using infantry rifles(much like you would with any other CQC focused weapon). The Russian Trench and Carcano are still viable after the patch keeping what I said first in mind. No idea why you think "the casuals" left the game, they most certainly did not. Why do you think the gunplay is "bland" with the patch?
    -
    If you're an above average player you can still do very well after the patch in my experience, I've done so with all classes(including aggressive scout) but support- I haven't tried playing support a lot at all so far- and I'm not a "pro" either.
    -
    BF1 was always supposed to have a "rock-paper-scissor" type gun balance. This patch has made that a bit more noticable, requiring you do have better positioning when you are fighting at a range that isn't optimized for your weapon, not much more.

But many may not be above average players. I would say most players by far are just "average' or below, and i've been frustrated off the game. But that being said, i was still a full ranked scout, and not "bad" at the game by any measure. It's just that it's not very fun playing with an infantry rifle anymore, but even other classes i've tried.

It's certainly easier to kill, but just as easy to die with a game with very slow respawn, and a crowded game at that. And i just don't see the rationale at all, being nobody was really complaining about the gunplay, and in fact many of what i saw, were crying for NERFS, not Buffs in any way...

But to the OP, obviously no i don't play it anymore (in fact i'm back on Mafia 2 now back compatible lol), but do come here with the wish they'd reconsider and stop alienating so many of us with these bizarro changes.

I am also worried about the majority of players that don't even know there are patch notes much less view the forums. Imagine booting up the game one day after not playing it for a few weeks and you try to play the game the way you used to, except something is off and it doesn't feel right. And they find themselves dying much more quickly now and they can't even hit anything with their LMG. I'm going to be looking at player counts and compare the numbers to see if its getting worse in a few months.

Also can Halo 3 be ran on back compat? I would consider buying an xbox just so i could play together again with my friends, 4 player local play how i miss you...
  • MigueTK
    bran1986 wrote: »
    I play it less, been playing Kingdom Come Deliverance and kind of put BF1 to the side for the time being.

Ohh what game is that? It isn't on my radar since it's been overshadowed by monster hunter. So many good games so little time...
  • bran1986
    5757 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    MigueTK wrote: »

Ohh what game is that? It isn't on my radar since it's been overshadowed by monster hunter. So many good games so little time...

It is basically a medieval rpg set in 1403 Bohemia, it is really good but a little buggy.
  • disposalist
    8670 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Just downloaded Far Cry Primal and Far Cry 4. On sale on Steam at the moment.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    5653 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

FC3 is the best out of them.
  • MigueTK
    I will say I was in the subset of players who wanted the game to feel more like BF4. But that was last year, around launch time, and when I was still accustomed to BF4 and thinking I wanted to keep that feel.

Eventually I got used to BF1 and found it to be the more enjoyable title, since it took more thought and team play to succeed at than bf4, plus it was the first time I remember a BF game where it felt totally viable to play purely as infantry. In BF4 vehicles were kind of a necessary evil.

If I want to play a game that feels like BF4, I'll just play BF4. I no longer have the feeling that each new game should be like the last.

But as for the topic, I think I will probably keep playing BF1 for now. I have a few single player/co-op games I play to relax, but I don't think I feel like going back to BF4 full time. But I would be lying if I said TTK 2.0 didn't kinda kill my enthusiasm for BF1. I used to get excited to play when I got home from work like OP, but now I could take it or leave it.

That's exactly how I felt during launch, it was the DIFFERENT FPS game that actually broke the mold with its rarely visited setting, and slower TTK that attracted me to it. The work that DICE SE has done is truly beautiful and it saddens me that this gameplay shift will most likely alienate players. I will probably play it some more until Apocalypse, but that spark and excitement is gone as soon as I jump in a lobby with primary assault noobreigels
  • Gforce81
    3666 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Eh. I've played both, and there's nothing really wrong with the game, but they don't really do anything too crazy.

Primal is the better if you ask me, they noticed how popular using the bow and hunting was in general from previous games, so they took the idea and expanded it into a whole game.

I actually have to say, Farcry 2 from the previous gen is my favorite. Loved some of the things about how they handled the game.
  • MigueTK

It is basically a medieval rpg set in 1403 Bohemia, it is really good but a little buggy.

Hey I will check it out, the setting sounds pretty interesting, thanks!
  • MigueTK
    While I liked playing parts of far cry, I could never really invest time into more than one gametype. I usually play one FPS or one RPG and rarely nothing else. Sadly I wish I had more time to play games, but can only use up my precious free time to play one at a time. I have chosen battlefield as my main shooter since 1942. Maybe the reason I like the frag rounds so much is because the drop off reminds me of the Panzerschrek sp?? from 1942.

Also I beat FFXV before all the new updates and don't have space to reinstall it, but are the additions any good? Last I heard they added multiplayer and I would reinstall that if it is fun and maybe delete Battlefield again. Either that or Monster Hunter that has been looking real good to me...
  • Callahan44er
    5062 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Gforce81 wrote: »

Eh. I've played both, and there's nothing really wrong with the game, but they don't really do anything too crazy.

Primal is the better if you ask me, they noticed how popular using the bow and hunting was in general from previous games, so they took the idea and expanded it into a whole game.

I actually have to say, Farcry 2 from the previous gen is my favorite. Loved some of the things about how they handled the game.

Fc4 is just like fc3 just with a bit of (imo mostly just annoying) climbing and different animal skins. Fc3 looked nicer imo. Gameplay is almost identical.
    Primal isnt that different as well. A bit more stealthy perhaps, even weaker story and characters. Even on hard insanly easy if you want to(just use owl and beasts all time).
    Enjoyable nonetheless but i always ask myself who pays full price for games like this.
  • Gforce81
    3666 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    While I liked playing parts of far cry, I could never really invest time into more than one gametype. I usually play one FPS or one RPG and rarely nothing else. Sadly I wish I had more time to play games, but can only use up my precious free time to play one at a time. I have chosen battlefield as my main shooter since 1942. Maybe the reason I like the frag rounds so much is because the drop off reminds me of the Panzerschrek sp?? from 1942.

Also I beat FFXV before all the new updates and don't have space to reinstall it, but are the additions any good? Last I heard they added multiplayer and I would reinstall that if it is fun and maybe delete Battlefield again. Either that or Monster Hunter that has been looking real good to me...

I can say, Honster Munter has been pretty fantastic. I've never touched a game of theirs before, but its been pretty fun. Weapon mechanics remind me slightly of Bloodborne (super favorite of mine) but its co-op oriented as opposed to the PvP Bloodborne focused on.

Gives you plenty of options as far as things to try; plenty of playstyles to choose from. No skill tree; all your "powers/skills" etc come from what weapons/armor you have on.

So you can go from using the heavy bowgun, change out your gear at a loadout box, to a closer range Gunlance no problem. I like that it doesn't glue you to one way of playing for most of a playthrough
  • Sixclicks
    5075 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm on a hiatus away from BF1. I'm playing Monster Hunter World instead. I'm generally performing about the same or better compared to how I was pre-TTK2. I just don't have as much fun in BF1 anymore since the update, so I need some time away from it.