Weekly Debrief

Am I just bad?

13»

Comments

• NoBanMePLS
    524 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited August 2016
    EinNiKo wrote: »
    Levelcap sucks. All of these youtubers are mediocre players. The only exception is brekk1e. He is legit. I recommend watching him instead.
    -
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Brekk1e/videos

Ravic and Reelaaa are not bad either.

As for a cheap mouse affecting you it could if it was really that cheap (Rubber Ball kind) but any modern mouse with a laser and preferably adjustable DPI should be fine. Aim for the chest, burst fire, don't be afraid to hip fire if you instantly come into contact with someone. Also use your pistol.
  • IIIF0NTIII
    117 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    How KD is not important in a shooter? It represents how good of a player (NOT shooter, there is more to it, like positioning) you are. If a flag is contested, you have to kill the enemies to be able to capture the flag. As for KD my idea is Anything below 2 is bad. Simple maths. The game uses tickets, 1 spawn=1 ticket, the more enemy tickets you take with 1 life (1 ticket) the better. 1 enemy ticket for 1 friendly ticket is just not a good trade.
  • badkarma11
    44 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I suck at TDM, only play it on Friday Night Battlefield and regularly get owned. I'm 54 years old and just don't have the twitch reflexes. When I played regularly, I stuck to other modes, mostly Conquest.
  • gls2220
    220 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    How KD is not important in a shooter? It represents how good of a player (NOT shooter, there is more to it, like positioning) you are. If a flag is contested, you have to kill the enemies to be able to capture the flag. As for KD my idea is Anything below 2 is bad. Simple maths. The game uses tickets, 1 spawn=1 ticket, the more enemy tickets you take with 1 life (1 ticket) the better. 1 enemy ticket for 1 friendly ticket is just not a good trade.

I agree with you that KD is relevant. The problem is that there's so much noise with that metric. I really wish Battlelog broke out KD by map, game mode, and Infantry vs. Vehicular. I think that would be much more helpful to people that are trying to improve. Obviously, that won't happen with BF4, but maybe at some point this will be implemented in a future Battlefield game. Weapons accuracy is another one. It would be great to see more granular numbers with that.

But, people that say K/D doesn't matter are just deluding themselves. It matters. It isn't the end all be all, but it's an important indicator of performance.

Regarding "Anything below 2 is bad", I'm not sure that's right. I think 2 is maybe too high. For instance, if I look at a player's stats and I see level 140, 800+ hours in the game, and a 1.5 KD, usually I'm looking at a pretty good player. Not always, but most of the time. Of course, I would then look at some of the other stats, like skill and KPM, and I'd look at weapons accuracy as well and number of vehicle kills. People that are really good in vehicles often have better stats than players that like to play Infantry. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it is what it is.
  • gls2220
    badkarma11 wrote: »
    I suck at TDM, only play it on Friday Night Battlefield and regularly get owned. I'm 54 years old and just don't have the twitch reflexes. When I played regularly, I stuck to other modes, mostly Conquest.

I'm 46 and BF4 is my first multiplayer FPS. I went away from TDM but I'm starting to play it more now because I feel like that's a big part of improving my play. Like you, I don't have the twitch reflexes of the younger crowd but I feel like TDM helps condition me to constantly think about positioning and where the enemy is moving in a way that objective-based game modes can't duplicate.
  • IIIF0NTIII
    117 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited August 2016
    gls2220 wrote: »

I agree with you that KD is relevant. The problem is that there's so much noise with that metric. I really wish Battlelog broke out KD by map, game mode, and Infantry vs. Vehicular. I think that would be much more helpful to people that are trying to improve. Obviously, that won't happen with BF4, but maybe at some point this will be implemented in a future Battlefield game. Weapons accuracy is another one. It would be great to see more granular numbers with that.

But, people that say K/D doesn't matter are just deluding themselves. It matters. It isn't the end all be all, but it's an important indicator of performance.

Regarding "Anything below 2 is bad", I'm not sure that's right. I think 2 is maybe too high. For instance, if I look at a player's stats and I see level 140, 800+ hours in the game, and a 1.5 KD, usually I'm looking at a pretty good player. Not always, but most of the time. Of course, I would then look at some of the other stats, like skill and KPM, and I'd look at weapons accuracy as well and number of vehicle kills. People that are really good in vehicles often have better stats than players that like to play Infantry. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it is what it is.

For vehicle players even 2 is low. Because i assume if they get killed their vehicle is killed and the team is at a disatvantage vehicle wise. And for the "noise" i don´t think its relevant. Because as I said there is more to the KD not just aiming and shooting. If you play as infantry you have to learn to move in a way that you won´t be an easy kill for the enemy vehicles. Yes there is some random Killed in Actions in the game, but that happens so rarely it doesn´t have any impact on your overall KD.
    Post edited by IIIF0NTIII on
  • gls2220
    gls2220 wrote: »

For vehicle players even 2 is low. Because i assume if they get killed their vehicle is killed and the team is at a disatvantage vehicle wise. And for the "noise" i don´t think its relevant. Because as I said there is more to the KD not just aiming and shooting. If you play as infantry you have to learn to move in a way that you won´t be an easy kill for the enemy vehicles. Yes there is some random Killed in Actions in the game, but that happens so rarely it doesn´t have any impact on your overall KD.

When I refer to "noise", the biggest piece of that is the vehicle player vs. infantry player. But, the maps and game modes that people play are also relevant. For instance, good Infantry players can get wrecked on most CQL maps by competent vehicle drivers.

Teamwork is another factor as well. If you roll with a group that are on comms and working together with spotting, revives, and call outs, that's a huge multiplier of individual skill. This, as opposed to the solo player that's pretty much on his own.

I've heard it said that the average KD is something like .90. I'm not certain if that's the case, but I think it sounds right. So, for me, if I look at a player's stats and see a 1.5 KD and that this person is primarily an Infantry player, and has significant hours in the game, then I'm pretty sure this is a good player. And for me personally, when I look at my own battle reports, if I get a 1.5 KD in a given match, I'm really, really happy about that.
  • NoBanMePLS
    524 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    K/D is a relatively weak stats to base much off of. For example I played with guys that have a .8 K/D but are a huge benefit to the team based on roles they play. When I get in a FAC one of my buddies reps me. He may get 2-3 kills with the side guns and get killed 5 or 6 times by enemy TV missiles however he helps cap flags faster and keeps my boat alive which = me destroying enemy vehicles so they don't attack our team. I know people that play dedicated medics on locker/metro that die a lot but may get upwards of 50 revives. Don't forget a revive gives your team a ticket in that sense a revive is like stealing an enemies kill by negating it. K/D only matters in a slayer role where you are on the front line being the guy killing most enemies or in a tank destroying everything. If you choose to play a major supportive role you are just as or more important than most others. I would rather have someone that goes 0-20 but has 20 revives, 10 spotting ribbons, 100 heals, and sneaks through enemy lines and gets a lot of caps than a 10K/D tanker.