LAGFIELD 1 - How do you fix this?

straati
11 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
edited March 5
I'm running Battlefield 1 with a 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, GTX 1060 6GB and 16GB DDR3 RAM. I've set EVERYTHING to "low" in graphics settings and my FPS is between 30-60. My GPU load is @ 20-30% and CPU constantly at 100%.

This is **** unacceptable, Battlefield 1 is UNPLAYABLE at this stage! Does someone have a fix for this? I've watched a ton of YT-tutorials on how to improve FPS but nothing seems to help. It has been like this since the TTK-update.

Comments

• uz_bolderaju
    201 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    you are cpu bottlenecked , cap frames at 60 and dont turn all to low - give some job to gpu :)
  • McFoaners
    283 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    One fix would include upgrading to i7.
  • F1aw1ess
    795 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    yeah capping frames or upgrading to an i7 is your only real options im afraid.
  • SneakyGunman
    242 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Reset the audio and video settings, exit out of both BF1 and Origin. Restart origin, start Bf1 and see if things improve with the default settings.
    If not there are some suggestions here: https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/136007/i-fixed-my-performance-issues-heres-how-i-did-it/p1
  • straati
    you are cpu bottlenecked , cap frames at 60 and dont turn all to low - give some job to gpu :)
    I'm using a 144 hz monitor so I want as many frames as I can get!
    McFoaners wrote: »
    One fix would include upgrading to i7.
    Thanks, genius.
    F1aw1ess wrote: »
    yeah capping frames or upgrading to an i7 is your only real options im afraid.
    I'm using a 144 hz monitor so I want as many frames as I can get, which is why I'm not capping it @ 60.
    Reset the audio and video settings, exit out of both BF1 and Origin. Restart origin, start Bf1 and see if things improve with the default settings.
    If not there are some suggestions here: https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/136007/i-fixed-my-performance-issues-heres-how-i-did-it/p1
    Thanks, I will try this! :) I've heard that there's a Battlefield 1-folder somewhere you can delete. Does this help, and if so, where is it usually located?
  • SneakyGunman
    242 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    users...your name...documents...
  • jjju
    111 postsMember, Developer DICE, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha
    With that CPU, cap your framerate to 60 and you'll save some CPU from doing less bullet raycasts.
  • Kajjal
    787 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    You are playing at 1080p on dx11 ?
  • straati
    jjju wrote: »
    With that CPU, cap your framerate to 60 and you'll save some CPU from doing less bullet raycasts.
    I'm not trying to save my CPU, I'm trying to get more frames. I've recently overclocked it for the only purpose of getting more FPS in games, specifically BF1. The game was running very good up to february when the TTK-patch was released and now I'm barely getting frames over 60. I'm mainly playing conquest, which I've always done. Do you have any information about what happened during that patch that might've impact the performance of the game? It's laughable, really, going from a game like Prey at almost max graphical settings @ 120-144 FPS, to BF1 (to get my online shooter-fix for the day) and getting around 50-60 FPS @ LOW settings. Clearly something's not right here jjju?
    Kajjal wrote: »
    You are playing at 1080p on dx11 ?
    Yes sir! :)
  • B0ng0_Banger
    867 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    3570k @ 4.4 here. 87fps average over a 3 hour game according to afterburner. that includes some alt tabbing out where it records the fps as 0. I do recommend capping your fps at 60-80 though as it does feel smoother when it's capped.
  • McFoaners
    283 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Thanks, genius.

You're welcome.
  • Kajjal
    787 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    When cpu hits 100% or fps drops low in game go straight into task manager to see what is using cpu. You may find things like superfetch using excessive cpu which can be disabled or turned off.
  • straati
    3570k @ 4.4 here. 87fps average over a 3 hour game according to afterburner. that includes some alt tabbing out where it records the fps as 0. I do recommend capping your fps at 60-80 though as it does feel smoother when it's capped.
    What GPU do you have? Well I get that it feels smoother with a capped framerate, but I don't want to miss out on frames, since every frame counts. But I guess I can try it until a new patch is released. My chip is running very hot (even with a very good cooler) so I had to settle with 4.2 GHz unfortunately.
    Kajjal wrote: »
    When cpu hits 100% or fps drops low in game go straight into task manager to see what is using cpu. You may find things like superfetch using excessive cpu which can be disabled or turned off.
    Thanks, I will look in to that today!
  • Sgt_GrizZZZ
    7 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Yep check task manager when you have the issue.

I was recently scratching my head over terrible stuttering and frame drop ............. discovered in task manager that a pesky McAfee service was running and hogging like 30% of the cpu :o I hate McAfee ....I blame the wife for that one :D

On startup now I have to immediately double check that McAfee hasn't fired itself up again.

Solved my issues for the most part.
  • straati
    Yep check task manager when you have the issue.

I was recently scratching my head over terrible stuttering and frame drop ............. discovered in task manager that a pesky McAfee service was running and hogging like 30% of the cpu :o I hate McAfee ....I blame the wife for that one :D

On startup now I have to immediately double check that McAfee hasn't fired itself up again.

Solved my issues for the most part.
    Ok, I have no antivirus software on my PC but I have to say that the performance issues I'm struggling with in BF1 isn't consistent. Sometimes when I play the performance is good (as before the TTK-patch) but often it's not. I'm always joining Dice official servers with no expansions, and sometimes I get good performance and other times bad (between 30-60 fps). I don't know whats affecting this, but I will keep an eye out on the task manager for sure.
  • B0ng0_Banger
    867 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    straati wrote: »
    What GPU do you have? Well I get that it feels smoother with a capped framerate, but I don't want to miss out on frames, since every frame counts. But I guess I can try it until a new patch is released. My chip is running very hot (even with a very good cooler) so I had to settle with 4.2 GHz unfortunately.

gtx 970, also worth pointing out that my gpu does sometimes hit 100%, if i don't lock my fps. so if I lowered some settings even more, then the average would have increased.
  • straati
    straati wrote: »

gtx 970, also worth pointing out that my gpu does sometimes hit 100%, if i don't lock my fps. so if I lowered some settings even more, then the average would have increased.

Ok. Well I tried to play today and was barely hitting 60 fps, which I capped the framerate at. I was hovering between 30-50 FPS and it's basically unplayable at that point. I monitored the task manager on my second screen but nothing except BF1 was using barely any CPU. I'm starting to give up, and I'm very dissapointed. I've bought this game TWICE, once for PS4 on release, and for my PC in november to get more frames and a better experience. OH THE IRONY!
  • ekyxor
    114 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I have 3570K @ 4.2Ghz as well. I had some issues with 100% CPU usage last summer, what fixed the issues for me was that I uninstalled Avast antivirus (Windows Defender is all you need), browser has to be also closed, otherwise the CPU can't handle the game.
  • straati
    ekyxor wrote: »
    I have 3570K @ 4.2Ghz as well. I had some issues with 100% CPU usage last summer, what fixed the issues for me was that I uninstalled Avast antivirus (Windows Defender is all you need), browser has to be also closed, otherwise the CPU can't handle the game.
    Do you have a monitor with 60 or 144 hz? Well I don't have any anti virus-software on my PC so that isn't the issue here. I have 16 GB RAM so I don't think there should be an issue with having a browser open at the same time as I'm playing. Since it (chrome) was very very low in CPU-usage whilst I monitored the CPU-usage when I played, there must be another problem taking place. Today when I played and got bad performance, I was playing on a [APOC]-server, if that has to do with anything.
  • RichAC
    451 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    disable superfetch
    Disable indexing
    disable xbox gamebar dvr and broadcasting
    Turn on trueplay and enable gamemode for bf1
    set pagefile to 1024 min/max
    disable themes
    set appearance to best performance
    uninstall uneeded apps and disable startup programs you don't need.
    make sure you have the intel rapid storage drivers installed or disable it in bios and uninstall them.
    disable all audio playback and recording devices you don't use
    lower default audio settings to 16 bit 44100
    clean your temp files
    if you have a intel hd graphics with your cpu install the drivers
    install latest chipset drivers or motherboard manufacturers drivers
    update all firmware including hdd.
    use ddu to reinstall graphics drivers
    set nvidia settings to performance mode
    can try setting pre-render ahead to 1 or 2 in nvidia settings.
    give a small bump in voltage if you know what you are doing
    cpu, ram and gpu do better having a little more voltage than just enough... or go back to stock clocks and test
    don't use motherboard or oem software for power savings or performance settings. Do all power configurations from within bios.
    repair, or reinstall the game and or origin using revo uninstaller.
    reinstall windows using upgrade option from media creation tool
    try to run game after a windows "clean boot"
    disable origin in-game
    try gpu restriction on or off in game settings
    don't use dx12, only use dx11
    cap fps
    run windows in high performance.
    disable c-states in bios
    disable fast boot in bios and in windows
    never use sleep or hibernate mode
    clean standby memory after long up time.
    try lowering polling rate and repeat rate on mouse and keyboard, especially if gaming drivers.
    unpark your cores
    if you have a 6 core cpu, park 2 cores.
    change to a server in a diff area.