Why is skill frowned upon in the battlefield community?

14567810»

Comments

  • HuwJarz
    3469 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Trokey66 wrote: »
    But is he a good one?

    Sure. He may be, And when I look at a player rear likes his vehicles, I am intelligent enough to be able to interpret that data too. I see a guy that is a great pilot, I can easily compare him with over pilots.

    Most players in BF1 tend to favour infantry or vehicles that's just the way it it. And luckily these stats are largely separated -so I can see base SPM by class and KPM by class. that gives me the ability continue to build that picture.

    Lets take you as an example.

    You claim that you stats are totally impacted by you need to get medals etc and the sacrifices you make to go out fo your way. I know you are a well rounded player and I respect and like you. I know that you are a medal hunter. But why is it that yiu have spent 3.5X more time playing support than any other class?

    Why have you spent nearly as much time playing support than all your other classed combined? Were those support medals really tough? Was the Avian Cross medal relatively easy after all?

    Your argument does not stack up.
  • Metal_Jockets
    157 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    K/D ratio in a game doesn't necessarily reflect the skill level of a gamer..
    In my opinion what determines a skilled gamer from the rest is their ability to operate weapons or gadgets that require more than just point and shoot ability the get a kill..


  • 68Keif
    4572 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Stahp
  • GerocK-
    599 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    NLBartmaN wrote: »
    1heSpartan wrote: »
    and it would take a monumental effort to reach them.

    And that is were "skilled" players that are not obsessed with stats come in .. if that arty truck is keeping a team form winning, it must be destroyed .. at all costs (like lower stats)
    1heSpartan wrote: »

    You're contradicting yourself somewhat against what I previously said about static Artillery padders, you're defending them and making ludicrous fabricated statements that I've apparently said yet in the same breath in the next post you're belittling these types of players... Odd to say the least.

    I didn't defend statistic vehicle players, i defended vehicle players in general.
    For me, the way you talked about them felt like you see infantry players as superior to vehicle players, but I could be wrong.

    And for me statpadding with spawnkilling at a flag with infantry is nothing else than static vehicle play from a distance, both easy kills for the stats.

    But as stated, both can be needed and can be usefull depending on how the game develops.

    But lets get back on topic: skill is frowned upon simple because we (all players) will never agree upon what "skill" in BF1 is and we all want attention and respect for our vision and way of playing the game.

    Besides that: there are way to many varibles in BF1 that have a serious influence on how a game develops and on if your solo gameplay pays of in succes (winning the game) and the numbers that come with it.

    For me overall BF1 "skill" (something totally different than being skilled with a certain class/weapon/gamestyle) is a player that contantly changes to what is needed to get a better position in/win the game and is also at some level (specialist who mostly play with a certain kit will be better) capable of doing that.

    Someone with high stats can be a player that does that, but having high stats doesn't at all says that player is doing that and vice versa.

    If I see my teams succesfull efforts to change the game in different ways (vehicles, kits, strategies) being identified and countered/stopped mostly by the same player that has a "normal" ping then i usually think: wow that is a skilled player.

    But your definition means a player is only considered skilled if he does everything on his own. That would mean a player can't be skilled in a game where the enemy team is beating your team on more than 1 area at the same time. Because according to your definition he has to stop the enemy on all those areas to be considered skilled, because that's what needed to win.

    I don't think a player always has to change to what is needed the most. If for example a Scout or a Medic is dominating his role, it would be silly if he has to change to Assault just because the other 31 players in his team can't manage to destroy a tank.

    Stats aren't everything, I think everyone agrees on that. A player with low stats can still be an asset for his team, but a player who scores high on multiple meaningful stats is always an asset to his team and a skilled player.
  • GerocK-
    599 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    .....
  • TEKNOCODE
    8400 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    68Keif wrote: »
    Stahp
    Keiph
  • OrionPherrit
    300 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    It’s not that we devalue skill, but as others pointed out, there are many different ways to measure it in this game. Numbers may be objective, however they can be interpreted in varying ways with some stats weighted more than others, and overall “skill” remains subjective. We also get in trouble if we use our ratings to try to win an argument or criticize other people for not playing the way we want them to.

    I think in most of the games OP cited, there is a consensus on which type of skill matters most, so folks who excel in that are unambiguously celebrated. Here it’s a little more complicated…

    No matter how good you are, some1 can always find something in your record to find fault with. For example, if I’m in an ornery mood, I can laugh at Annie Oakley because her KDR was zero. :D

    I am strongly against the notion of declaring some measures “superior” or “more important” than others, implying that ancillary tasks are the refuge of the unskilled. It’s disrespectful, and in real life medics & tank mechanics will necessarily have low KDRs. They have possess more specialized knowledge and wise generals will want to keep them out of the line of fire, as it will take much longer to train their replacements than regular grunts.

    If we adopt such an elitist attitude, you’ll see more people swap out their syringes & ammo packs for grenade launchers & mortars and alter their play style in a way that earns more praise from their peers, to the detriment of the overall war effort.

    Just like in both versions of football, somebody has to pass along the ball, run interference, & get a mediocre average so the Top Scorers can hit the goals. If we belittle their contribution to the sport, they’ll quit or stop helping the MVPs, and the team will end up losing.

    PS: Miss Oakley was an excellent shot, more accurate than 99% of us, and she had a good excuse for not killing anybody. o:)
  • Trokey66
    6090 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited April 17
    HuwJarz wrote: »
    Trokey66 wrote: »
    But is he a good one?

    Sure. He may be, And when I look at a player rear likes his vehicles, I am intelligent enough to be able to interpret that data too. I see a guy that is a great pilot, I can easily compare him with over pilots.

    Most players in BF1 tend to favour infantry or vehicles that's just the way it it. And luckily these stats are largely separated -so I can see base SPM by class and KPM by class. that gives me the ability continue to build that picture.

    Lets take you as an example.

    You claim that you stats are totally impacted by you need to get medals etc and the sacrifices you make to go out fo your way. I know you are a well rounded player and I respect and like you. I know that you are a medal hunter. But why is it that yiu have spent 3.5X more time playing support than any other class?

    Why have you spent nearly as much time playing support than all your other classed combined? Were those support medals really tough? Was the Avian Cross medal relatively easy after all?

    Your argument does not stack up.

    It is obvious that Support is my preffered class so that question is pointless because obviously, Support related assignments and medals are not an issue for me.

    In that sense, your assessment above regarding Support medals and assignments is totally wrong.

    Your question should have been "IF you like Support so much, why have you spent the amount of time with other classes and vehicles that you have?

    Your expert analysis of my stats should give you that answer.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!