Has anyone here used Tank Hunter Attack Plane in air to air combat.

P123ABD4R
8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
Greetings and this is Deltaliner from the Xbox One with P123ABD4R as my Battlefield forums username and I just went on Operations Oil of Empires Fao Fortress with me in the Tank Hunter Attack Plane going against the heavy bomber that was added In the Name of the Tsar DLC September 2017 by doing 5-10 passes against him but on my 11th run I got shot down by his rear gunner a Level 7 Scout Class level 0 which quickly chipped my Tank hunter plane to 0 health in a couple of shots. Has anyone in the Battlefield 1 community ever successfully destroyed an opposing airplane with the Tank Hunter Attack Plane?

Comments

• trip1ex
    3053 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited May 17
    lol it was the fav dog fighting plane of pros for awhile. Still probably is to some degree. But they did nerf (increase) the attack plane min speed which had allowed the attack planes to make tighter turns which is what partly enabled the TH AP to be as good a dogfighter as it was.
  • Blackidus
    132 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Dont use it myself but i got shoot down by one several times a few nights ago. I tried to go after him with a dogfighter but he allways managed to somehow sneak up on me and one-shoot me every time.

So if you practice your aim with it you can basicaly one-shoot fighers and two shoot attack planes i guess
  • olavafar
    1420 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I do it all the time. It was slightly 'nerfed' last update (they fixed a bug causing damage to the pilot that was unintended) so now it mostly needs two good hits for most planes at full health .1 shot was often enough for fighters before, basically because you killed the pilot. Quite often you also killed the gunner in attack planes the same way. This is unusual now.

Bombers are different though as they can take more damage. If I do not have a gunner helping me, I normally do not take down a bomber when it has a descent gunner. Being a gunner in bomber is easier than in an attack plane because the bomber is more steady. Thus taking it down from behind will not work because he will kill you quicker than you can shoot enough rounds to take the bomber down (there is also some kind of weird suppression effect going on here I think). From other angles you can do it but again, if the bomber has a repair guy he will outperform your damage with repairs as you likely need to turn a few times not to end up in the rear gunner bullet rain.

Sometimes there is no gunner (or a bad one) or you get some help from ground and then it becomes much easier as on the down side for the bombers is that they are easy to hit. A good start, for me at least, is to get them when they turn and hit the wing. This makes it a lot harder for the gunner and you can also determine their flight path if you need to turn for a reload or just get some distance between you and the bomber.

Generally though, taking down bombers I find easier with dedicated air-to-air planes.

I play on PC and I do not know if aiming on console is harder with planes. To a large degree the APTH is a precision shooter (though not so much on bombers).
  • DonSharkito
    744 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    olavafar wrote: »
    I do it all the time. It was slightly 'nerfed' last update (they fixed a bug causing damage to the pilot that was unintended) so now it mostly needs two good hits for most planes at full health .1 shot was often enough for fighters before, basically because you killed the pilot. Quite often you also killed the gunner in attack planes the same way. This is unusual now.

Bombers are different though as they can take more damage. If I do not have a gunner helping me, I normally do not take down a bomber when it has a descent gunner. Being a gunner in bomber is easier than in an attack plane because the bomber is more steady. Thus taking it down from behind will not work because he will kill you quicker than you can shoot enough rounds to take the bomber down (there is also some kind of weird suppression effect going on here I think). From other angles you can do it but again, if the bomber has a repair guy he will outperform your damage with repairs as you likely need to turn a few times not to end up in the rear gunner bullet rain.

Sometimes there is no gunner (or a bad one) or you get some help from ground and then it becomes much easier as on the down side for the bombers is that they are easy to hit. A good start, for me at least, is to get them when they turn and hit the wing. This makes it a lot harder for the gunner and you can also determine their flight path if you need to turn for a reload or just get some distance between you and the bomber.

Generally though, taking down bombers I find easier with dedicated air-to-air planes.

I play on PC and I do not know if aiming on console is harder with planes. To a large degree the APTH is a precision shooter (though not so much on bombers).

My tactic with the tank hunter AP agains bombers or HB is to release my main cannon. If I missed some shells I will seat switch and finish it off with the rear MG. I have done it countless times. Most of the time the enemy bomber either doesn't have a gunner or doesn't have a decent one.
  • olavafar
    1420 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    olavafar wrote: »

My tactic with the tank hunter AP agains bombers or HB is to release my main cannon. If I missed some shells I will seat switch and finish it off with the rear MG. I have done it countless times. Most of the time the enemy bomber either doesn't have a gunner or doesn't have a decent one.

As I wrote, no gunner or bad gunner, then it is not a problem. I rarely miss a bomber with the main so I see no need to seat switch in that situation but I assume it works if you are good with the machine gun (I prefer the mains over the machine gun which I'm not very skilled with).
  • NLBartmaN
    1483 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    trip1ex wrote: »
    lol it was the fav dog fighting plane of pros for awhile. Still probably is to some degree. But they did nerf (increase) the attack plane min speed which had allowed the attack planes to make tighter turns which is what partly enabled the TH AP to be as good a dogfighter as it was.

Best way to "destroy" or get rid of an attacking AP/Fighter when you are in a (heavy) bomber: just brake very hard/lose speed by climbing and they will crash into you or fly past you.

The minimum speed of the bomber is a great "weapon"

And the closer the AP/Fighter comes, the easier it is for the rear gunner to take it out.
  • olavafar
    It is most likely worth a try (as bomber pilot you are anyways more or less a sitting duck.)

No half good pilot will have a problem with that but maybe some beginners. There are also many who mainly farms infantry in planes and these may not be that good/experienced in air-to-air stuff. I don't know for sure but my experience is that these anyways will not go for a bomber though.

First, if it is a better pilot, the shot will not come from behind but from the side (because you do not want to expose yourself as attacker to the gunner if you can avoid it.).

Secondly, if attacker has a gunner (or seat switch), passing the bomber is just good because you will be at the belly/side, if it has climbed making it hard or impossible to shoot you as gunner. Generally passing a target as attack plane pilot is often not that bad due to the LMG seat available. If you are in a fighter on the other hand, you do NOT want to pass the target but fighters generally have no business to be close to a bomber, it is a lot safer to grind them down from relatively long distance.
  • NLBartmaN
    Changing speed, angle and altitude does wonders to even get rid of the most experienced pilots that try to take you down.

From a distance it is not that easy to hit a non steady flying enemy plane with the main gun, lot easier from nearby, so almost every pilot that will miss his first shot will close in and try to fly behind the enemy plane.

Closing in on (the rear of) the bomber is end of story for attacker.

Even passing by is end of story, I change main gun and use front/under gun to destroy them in a second, it is a really strong gun, works almost every time, even against the deliberate crashers.

Too bad I can't change seats faster in a bomber, but most of the time I have a good passenger in my plane.

But back on topic: you can shoot down a plane with the TH AP after the last nerf (before the nerf I did it multiple times), but the enemy pilot must be a poor pilot that keeps flying the same speed/angle and altitude .. better take a different plane to do that.
  • DonSharkito
    NLBartmaN wrote: »
    Changing speed, angle and altitude does wonders to even get rid of the most experienced pilots that try to take you down.

From a distance it is not that easy to hit a non steady flying enemy plane with the main gun, lot easier from nearby, so almost every pilot that will miss his first shot will close in and try to fly behind the enemy plane.

Closing in on (the rear of) the bomber is end of story for attacker.

Even passing by is end of story, I change main gun and use front/under gun to destroy them in a second, it is a really strong gun, works almost every time, even against the deliberate crashers.

Too bad I can't change seats faster in a bomber, but most of the time I have a good passenger in my plane.

But back on topic: you can shoot down a plane with the TH AP after the last nerf (before the nerf I did it multiple times), but the enemy pilot must be a poor pilot that keeps flying the same speed/angle and altitude .. better take a different plane to do that.

Well I disagree with you on both.

I think I've never been shotdown by a bomber when I was in a TH AP. They are so slow and easy to to shoot at (even when they try weird manoeuvres) that if they have a gunner I will keep some distance or shot them from an angle where their gunner has poor visibility. Most of the good pilots will never have a problem with a bomber.

On the TH AP efficiency post nerf. It is still very good to dominate any vehicle related stuff, including planes. I had a recent game on Heligoland where I destroyed 22 vehicles (mostly boats and planes) and had no problem dealing with fighters. I've been shot down in the end where probably 2 pissed off players got in their own respective fighter.
  • NLBartmaN

I think I've never been shotdown by a bomber when I was in a TH AP. They are so slow and easy to to shoot at (even when they try weird manoeuvres) that if they have a gunner I will keep some distance or shot them from an angle where their gunner has poor visibility. Most of the good pilots will never have a problem with a bomber.

On the TH AP efficiency post nerf. It is still very good to dominate any vehicle related stuff, including planes. I had a recent game on Heligoland where I destroyed 22 vehicles (mostly boats and planes) and had no problem dealing with fighters. I've been shot down in the end where probably 2 pissed off players got in their own respective fighter.

You may disagree.

I play vehicles a lot and have been shot down or destoyed by a AP TH maybe 3 times (2 had serious high ping) and all pre nerf.

My Bomber crew (must admit one is Platoon member playing support with wrench and we have voice com) and me with the front gun have destroyed at least 10 planes this week.

Most underestimated how slow the bomber suddenly can go and that it can turn faster than they expect.

But it is serious easy (after some practice) to shoot down a bomber or any other vehicle with the AP TH if your target is moving predictable.
  • DonSharkito

You may disagree.

I play vehicles a lot and have been shot down or destoyed by a AP TH maybe 3 times (2 had serious high ping) and all pre nerf.

My Bomber crew (must admit one is Platoon member playing support with wrench and we have voice com) and me with the front gun have destroyed at least 10 planes this week.

Most underestimated how slow the bomber suddenly can go and that it can turn faster than they expect.

But it is serious easy (after some practice) to shoot down a bomber or any other vehicle with the AP TH if your target is moving predictable.

Yes that works agains average or bad pilots.

Dude I have >100 * with the attack plane, and a good portion of it was with the AT AP.

Give me a time and server name and I will be happy to be the 4th (and more if you like it) AT TH to destroy you and your squad.
  • NLBartmaN

Dude I have >100 * with the attack plane, and a good portion of it was with the AT AP.

Give me a time and server name and I will be happy to be the 4th (and more if you like it) AT TH to destroy you and your squad.

There will always be good pilots or pilots with a perfect ping that are hard to shoot down or suddenly shoot you down because of bundled shots.

And yes the AP TH CAN be effective in the right hands .. but there not a lot of right hands on the servers ... 99% of the time the tactics I described will work perfectly.

But to go back ontopic: for the average starting pilot the AP TH is not the best plane to counter a bomber ...
  • DonSharkito
    edited May 17

There will always be good pilots or pilots with a perfect ping that are hard to shoot down or suddenly shoot you down because of bundled shots.

And yes the AP TH CAN be effective in the right hands .. but there not a lot of right hands on the servers ... 99% of the time the tactics I described will work perfectly.

But to go back ontopic: for the average starting pilot the AP TH is not the best plane to counter a bomber ...

Always some excuses. This time ping or some lags...

Grow up dude.

You claimed that you have the tactics to counter the most experienced pilots with your heavy bomber which I believe is total nonsense.

So prove it to me. Accept my challenge.
  • NLBartmaN

Always some excuses. This time ping or some lags...

Grow up dude.

You claimed that you have the tactics to counter the most experienced pilots with your heavy bomber which I believe is total nonsense.

So prove it to me. Accept my challenge.

Why always the challenges .. getting old .. get on topic!
  • Woodlbrad
    79 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Yeah I destroyed 1 plane while I was going for tank kills part of the veteran plane specialization.
  • P123ABD4R
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Good point there and what version of attack plane should I use to take down a bomber such as the Airco DH 10, Hansa-Brandenburg Caproni CA 5 & the Gotha Bomber and lastly the heavy bomber that was added in the game via in the name of the Tsar downloadable content that was released on September 2017? I'm guessing the Ground support plane for its Cannon main weapon 20mm Caliber or Airship destroyer for the Rockets.
  • DonSharkito
    P123ABD4R wrote: »

Good point there and what version of attack plane should I use to take down a bomber such as the Airco DH 10, Hansa-Brandenburg Caproni CA 5 & the Gotha Bomber and lastly the heavy bomber that was added in the game via in the name of the Tsar downloadable content that was released on September 2017? I'm guessing the Ground support plane for its Cannon main weapon 20mm Caliber or Airship destroyer for the Rockets.

The most efficient planes to take out planes (inc. bomber or heavy bomber) are :

-If you want to focus only on planes: one of the fighters with a preference for the bomber killer loadout (which has as named rockets that are designed to take out bombers)

-If you want to keep versatility (i.e be able to kill infantry and other vehicles like tanks): the attack plane with the anti tank loadout. But you need to learn firstly to use properly as it necessitates more skill (imo) than the other variants (for example you need to know how to lead your shots otherwise you won't hit anything).

-The ground support attack plane is fine against bombers but they don't deal a huge dmg input to them, so it takes more time to down a bomber than with the other planes mentioned above. Also because of that you are running into to the risk that if they have not a bad gunner you will struggle.
  • poegle87
    126 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I use the Tank Hunter all the time for infantry and tanks etc. It's not that much of a forgiving plane if you miss a lot and can get taken down very quickly, especially by those bombers with a gunner. Sometimes you can take them out if they are inexperienced, but on the odd occasion it does take some planning.

Try learn how to fly at different speeds, altitudes and keep your plane moving. As someone said above, it's very hard to hit a pilot that's constantly moving and if you can master your aim while doing that, you will be more effective. Same goes for killing infantry, once you master the movement and aim, the main cannon can 1shot if it's direct but the bombs tend to finish them off. Treat the cannon like a field gun, it's pretty similar.
  • UraniumReaper
    361 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I have used it to take out planes before. It is effective enough at it but not OP imo. I think it got a nerf a while back, so it couldn't one shot fighters as easy and can't turn super fast.
  • olavafar
    P123ABD4R wrote: »

The most efficient planes to take out planes (inc. bomber or heavy bomber) are :

-If you want to focus only on planes: one of the fighters with a preference for the bomber killer loadout (which has as named rockets that are designed to take out bombers)

-If you want to keep versatility (i.e be able to kill infantry and other vehicles like tanks): the attack plane with the anti tank loadout. But you need to learn firstly to use properly as it necessitates more skill (imo) than the other variants (for example you need to know how to lead your shots otherwise you won't hit anything).

-The ground support attack plane is fine against bombers but they don't deal a huge dmg input to them, so it takes more time to down a bomber than with the other planes mentioned above. Also because of that you are running into to the risk that if they have not a bad gunner you will struggle.

I agree to the Don here. He obviously knows what he is talking about. If you really really want to dominate in the air, there are two designated planes for this, the Dogfighter (fighter), and the Airship Buster (attack plane). Both of these are very (I mean VERY) bad at ground targets though.

I use the Dogfighter but the Bomber killer is somewhat easier to learn in the fighter class and the rockets are a lot easier to use on infantry than the dogfighters main gun (but the feeling is not even close when you start to get the hang of shooting inf with a plane).

The Airship busters main HMG is very powerful against air vehicles and has very long range (so does the dogfighters main) bt it shoots a bit slow so you need to aim good. Long range is good for grinding bombers from safe distances. The rockets are not as useful as those of the bomber killer though since they travel basically in parallel, making it hard to hit even a bomber with more than a few of them. I have managed to focus them a bit by rolling as I shoot but this is an extremely complicated maneuver and I found it not really working in practice. The planes does not roll straight so you need to compensate with the rudder up and then down + you do not want a straigh roll buy a slightly skewed one for focusing the rockets which means... ahh just forget it (I'd need to make video but I have wanted to do an advanced flying vid for long now and never seem to get there. The game is just to fun to play so I tend to do that instead).

Still, these two planes are a bit extreme, and also mostly sub optimal from team perspective, so the Dons advice is the better. Also do not forget that there is an Air assault mode where you can try out the different planes and see what you prefer. There you do not have the pesky ground AA that constantly interfere with your dogfighting ;).

BTW, you do not select plane based on name, it is the loadout you need to focus on.