Reveal expectations vs reality

xCrimsonAce
4 postsMember Member
I first wanna start off by saying what every battlefield fan will say "As a fan of battlefield" I can say that the reveal did excite me but disappoint me at the same time. Im not posting this to complain and watch the forums fill with trolls, hate and ignorant remarks because someone feels they are right and know best however I think we should discuss the purpose of a reveal and how important it is but also what we expect and feel about the reveal.

Normally reveals are meant to showcase what a company has been up to so they can inform and hopefully gather support for their product by reassuring us. However what I felt like I was partaking in was no more than just another tease or a magic show if you would. Little flashy stuff here and there and bam you got a crowd excited or intreeged. In my opinion a reveal should not only inform its supporters or fans what they been up to but whay they are offering as well. In the end they just repeated themselves every year boasting about what they have added but not really showing us how or what. Not only did they not really show us anything but they didn't exactly re-asure us on why the game will be as good as they claim.

Despite showing a trailer full of action with chaos surrounding and filling a soldier with adrenalin trying to survive, they really didn't show us anything to get us to say 'Where's my wallet?" Which in my opinion is what I look for. Something to convince me that it's worth my money and my time.

Now before anyone jumps to conclusions and tries to point out why im clueless and so on. Yes they still are going to release more trailers, have showcases etc however for the first portion only those who have money, time, and the convenience are able to go accross the country or the world while I'm currently busy working and saving up money as I enlist into the military so I do not have the luxury to fly out like many others do and have the opportunity to see and play well before others and make my choice months before to pre order. Not everyone make stacks and instead makes enough to enjoy basic things in life and supports oneself and their family which is why many wait months or even years after a release of a product to get their hands on it to make sure it was even worth it in the first place.

I would love like many others to go to such events but are not so fortunate which is why I think Dice should have spent much more time on the reveal showcasing the things they discussed. Yes the game is still in development and they wanna treat those small hardcore fans who can show up, but what I want from them is a glimpse of what they offer. They do not need to give me a 2hour reveal but a 5min showcase for each change and addition. I do feel they need to show me why my time was worth watching them instead of doing something else. I wanna see a small glimpse of them actually fortifying a position and the types of tactics they could use or even maybe a 5min play through on a war story to show me the mechanics and movement. Show me a quick 30sec tease of the variety options of soldier customizations or even some weapons we get to use besides the basic choices of weapons such as the ppsh, mp40, mg42.

All in all I did enjoy the funny bits of the stream team and the trailer was interesting and showed some basic glimpses of combat but not enough for me to get excited and boast about what I look forward to or how much time I will want to invest in my free time. What do you all think? Am I alone and crazy on this or did Dice sorta half ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the reveal and just enjoy teasing us without taking any risks and continuing to build hype and our support!?!?!?

Comments

• HawkEmpir3
    1 postsMember Member
    I will have to agree with you on this. Despite the trailer being good I would have to agree with you on the fact that the reveal should have been a bit better and offered a little more visual insight into what they have. Compared to the cod reveal it felt like dice took the back seat on this one. Hopefully they will reveal a lot more soon as I would like to pre order well before the actual release rather than having to wait a month or two before deciding.
  • TickTak77
    4695 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    They bombed their reveal.

Simple as that.

That doesn't mean the game is going to be ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ though. Far from it.

There's tons to really look forward too, and it appears as though some of the community's most requested features will be making it into this game.
  • xCrimsonAce
    4 postsMember Member
    TickTak77 wrote: »

Simple as that.

That doesn't mean the game is going to be **** though. Far from it.

There's tons to really look forward too, and it appears as though some of the community's most requested features will be making it into this game.

I think the game will be good from the discussions, bf1 was a clear example however I did find bf1 getting boring fairly quickly with the lack of weapons and customization so I hope they fix this. If they can find a balance between bf4 and it's fun gameplay and bf1 beautiful graphics and destruction then I think they will silence all the haters but they gotta do better on their reveal because the feedback is more like a rollercoaster than anything and feel this will give the devs a bit more difficult time trying to please the supporters and ensure they are giving us a game we can enjoy. I look forward to seeing more of the game but I feel they sorely need to give some more insight to put more minds at ease before the days creep up on its scheduled release.
  • TickTak77
    4695 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Simple as that.

I think the game will be good from the discussions, bf1 was a clear example however I did find bf1 getting boring fairly quickly with the lack of weapons and customization so I hope they fix this. If they can find a balance between bf4 and it's fun gameplay and bf1 beautiful graphics and destruction then I think they will silence all the haters but they gotta do better on their reveal because the feedback is more like a rollercoaster than anything and feel this will give the devs a bit more difficult time trying to please the supporters and ensure they are giving us a game we can enjoy. I look forward to seeing more of the game but I feel they sorely need to give some more insight to put more minds at ease before the days creep up on its scheduled release.

Yep, I agree.

I feel it prudent to remind everyone though - we haven't seen a single minute of raw multiplayer gameplay from this game yet.

That will be the real time to judge and assess just what we are getting this year. Not through some staged 2 minute trailer designed more for the WOW effect rather to truly divulge into the nitty gritty details of it's game.
  • xCrimsonAce
    4 postsMember Member

Simple as that.

Yep, I agree.

I feel it prudent to remind everyone though - we haven't seen a single minute of raw multiplayer gameplay from this game yet.

That will be the real time to judge and assess just what we are getting this year. Not through some staged 2 minute trailer designed more for the WOW effect rather to truly divulge into the nitty gritty details of it's game.

Hands down agree, they really went for the wow factor hard after the Success they had with BF1 reveal trailer. I mean you just don't happen to shoot a grenaid in midair causing what looks like a kamikaze style dive bomb leading to its destruction.... especially before turning and claiming a triple kill with ease. I think they should have given some love and showed us a little bits of clear gameplay. I have faith as Battlefield as a franchise title rarely disappoints in terms of fun and excitement but in my opinion whoever put together the reveal should make sure they hold the correct job title
  • WetFishDB
    2345 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Lets not forget the purpose of the trailer is just to generate hype. Get people talking (which they clearly are) in the run up to the gameplay reveal. That's when we can start making some more detailed observations.

Personally, there was enough there for me to feel positive - lots of improvements over BF1, addressing some of my biggest gripes in that game (even though I love it). Customisation, improved squad play, and what I suspect will be more class diversity. The lack of visual recoil is a big win too. All they need to do is make suppression visual only and I'll be well pleased.