Do we get a Commander mode again?

GermanViking94
0 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Would love to see the Commander have a return in Battlefield V. Wouldn’t it make sense when this game shifts more to strategic gameplay?

Really liked to play as a Commander, especially after I reached max rank & unlocked everything I wanted. Maybe sounds a bit dumb but it gave me always the immersion to actually help people on the battlefield with my gathered knowledge from the gamemodes & maps...

Comments

• AlotOfThunder
    1545 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2018
    i think theyre dividing strategic powers down among the squad leaders of the teams, who can call in things like supplies, smokescreens, special vehicles and airborne bombs.

rather than giving it to a single person
  • Gadmek
    28 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    yeah, it sounds like squad points/ squad leader system is the new commander.
    instead of team earning pts and keeping flags for commander, its up to each individual squad to do well. and hopefully have a good squad leader or it will all get wasted.

*I am reeally hoping that V gets the same treatment 1 did with the squad leaders, where you can takeover being leader if they aren't commanding the squad.
  • MigueTK
    679 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Would love to see the Commander have a return in Battlefield V. Wouldn’t it make sense when this game shifts more to strategic gameplay?

Really liked to play as a Commander, especially after I reached max rank & unlocked everything I wanted. Maybe sounds a bit dumb but it gave me always the immersion to actually help people on the battlefield with my gathered knowledge from the gamemodes & maps...

Commander mode is too complicated for today's console audience to grasp. Just look at the squad orders not issued by most players in BF1. I would immediately buy the super deluxxxe omega gold packs version of this game if commander mode was confirmed. Instead of the point and click mini game I would want it to be like in BF2 with the actual commander unit on the battlefield. They talked about this "metagame" in BFV what better way to implement this by tying in commander mode with resources? Why can't a squad take out the heavy artillery bombardments like in BF2, extra points if it was an order issued by the friendly commander? Why can't the commander request heavy B-52 bomber support? Multiple vehicle jeep drops over a target area? The potential is there for an amazing experience to be made I just don't understand why it can't be added. The commander unit would have his own loadout kit with like flares and binoculars and maybe even a "spawn beacon" like in BF1. Before the detractors say that this would give one player too much power, it would not. Trust in DICE to balance the game after all they have been doing this for decades. The points for kills from bombardments or abilities would not count towards any ability. Map control would also be extremely important along with squads that follow or request orders. I want this mode back so badly that I still play commander in BF4. I think it's because they want to make EVERYONE feel like an awesome l33t commando and diluted the commander abilities into squad leaders which is okay but I still long for the real version.
  • Noodlesocks
    3451 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Probably not. The commander mode they made for BF4 gave the commander very little to do and for whatever they reason, they kept it separate from the game server itself so it was very cumbersome to get into. Dice have taken it's lack of popularity to be an indication that people aren't interested in commander mode rather than admit they screwed it up.
  • x_Undaunted_x
    3766 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    If they bring commander mode back, it needs to be nothing like BF4. Constant MAV flying over an objective with hardly any cooldown, sending a missile attack that can kill players on the ground while the commander doesn't have to worry about taking any deaths of their own... Oh, and the ones who would constantly spam orders to the same squad over and over again. I'm fine if they leave it out, especially since it offset the balance when 1 team would have a commander and the other wouldn't.
  • Obsidiann6
    68 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    MigueTK wrote: »

Commander mode is too complicated for today's console audience to grasp. Just look at the squad orders not issued by most players in BF1. I would immediately buy the super deluxxxe omega gold packs version of this game if commander mode was confirmed. Instead of the point and click mini game I would want it to be like in BF2 with the actual commander unit on the battlefield. They talked about this "metagame" in BFV what better way to implement this by tying in commander mode with resources? Why can't a squad take out the heavy artillery bombardments like in BF2, extra points if it was an order issued by the friendly commander? Why can't the commander request heavy B-52 bomber support? Multiple vehicle jeep drops over a target area? The potential is there for an amazing experience to be made I just don't understand why it can't be added. The commander unit would have his own loadout kit with like flares and binoculars and maybe even a "spawn beacon" like in BF1. Before the detractors say that this would give one player too much power, it would not. Trust in DICE to balance the game after all they have been doing this for decades. The points for kills from bombardments or abilities would not count towards any ability. Map control would also be extremely important along with squads that follow or request orders. I want this mode back so badly that I still play commander in BF4. I think it's because they want to make EVERYONE feel like an awesome l33t commando and diluted the commander abilities into squad leaders which is okay but I still long for the real version.

To be fair, BF1's lack of tactical depth makes giving squad orders almost useless. That is why I rarely give them, they are useless. Totally agree on BF2 Commander though. I even think they should have given even more emphasis on the role, like some minor basebuilding with gathered resources from capturepoints, techresearch etc.
  • TickTak77
    4695 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Commander was awful in BF4 - especially if one team had a commander, and the other didn't.

Constant UAVs everywhere, with no counter - sucks for those of us that loved playing aggressively / flanking enemies
  • cheekyshot
    24 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

It was great when you could hunt down the commander on the battlefield and steal his dog tags. Destroying their artillery and others assets was good fun!
  • Foot_Elite_Tomei
    306 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    TickTak77 wrote: »
    Commander was awful in BF4 - especially if one team had a commander, and the other didn't.

Constant UAVs everywhere, with no counter - sucks for those of us that loved playing aggressively / flanking enemies

God mode Commander with indestructible assets which Battlefield 4 and Hardline offered is horrible execution of Commander. Battlefield 2 and 2142 did it better.
  • MigueTK
    679 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Obsidiann6 wrote: »

To be fair, BF1's lack of tactical depth makes giving squad orders almost useless. That is why I rarely give them, they are useless. Totally agree on BF2 Commander though. I even think they should have given even more emphasis on the role, like some minor basebuilding with gathered resources from capturepoints, techresearch etc.

While that is mostly true it helps somewhat to coordinate attacks in operations. It's really hit or miss though since most of the time the squad just runs around like chickens with their heads cut off and ignore orders in any mode.
  • MigueTK

Igla the UAV or spot and request friendly jets to take them out, that's what the practice range was for.
  • MigueTK
    If they bring commander mode back, it needs to be nothing like BF4. Constant MAV flying over an objective with hardly any cooldown, sending a missile attack that can kill players on the ground while the commander doesn't have to worry about taking any deaths of their own... Oh, and the ones who would constantly spam orders to the same squad over and over again. I'm fine if they leave it out, especially since it offset the balance when 1 team would have a commander and the other wouldn't.

I've been on friendly teams that still lost with a commander and the enemies had none. Commander just highlights the deficits in teamwork more easily and amplify those that work together well, it causes more coordination and tactical play which is something that is severely lacking in BF1.
  • KarmaKinetic
    1143 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    min skill or rank bottom for commander mode would be a good idea, no point in having a noob dictating the game...
  • Noodlesocks
    3451 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    min skill or rank bottom for commander mode would be a good idea, no point in having a noob dictating the game...

In BF2 and 2142 anyone could apply to be commander but only the highest ranked of those would be accepted. There's an awful lot of things that BF2 and 2142 did right when it came to commander mode and squads that it is just baffling to see Dice get it so wrong with every game since then.
  • gpkgpk
    271 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Commander mode is too complicated for today's console audience to grasp. Just look at the squad orders not issued by most players in BF1.[...]
    Agreed, there is no way today's console-itis and H.A.D.D. players would allow a BF2 style commander to work in BFV.
    We've all been suffering from often diluted and dumbed down sequels for many years now.
  • SilverJackal143
    179 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Gadmek wrote: »

*I am reeally hoping that V gets the same treatment 1 did with the squad leaders, where you can takeover being leader if they aren't commanding the squad.
    You do know that this feature came from Hardline originally don't you?
    Same with Mini Map Topography (See if Enemy is above or below you)
    And Capture Area Radius.

• MigueTK

In BF2 and 2142 anyone could apply to be commander but only the highest ranked of those would be accepted. There's an awful lot of things that BF2 and 2142 did right when it came to commander mode and squads that it is just baffling to see Dice get it so wrong with every game since then.

The modders of desert combat have most likely left or no longer have sway in DICE's decision making, maybe that could be the reason why battlefield got "streamlined" with less features.
  • TickTak77
    4695 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Igla the UAV or spot and request friendly jets to take them out, that's what the practice range was for.

So - change my loadout to specifically counter a commander, or hope that someone in the air decides to help?

Yeah, no, f*** that - just get rid of Commander mode entirely. We don't need it, and it penalizes aggressive players.
  • TickTak77
    Gadmek wrote: »

You do know that this feature came from Hardline originally don't you?
    Same with Mini Map Topography (See if Enemy is above or below you)
    And Capture Area Radius.

Hardline brought a ton of really positive features to the franchise. It doesn't get nearly enough credit for the progressive steps it allowed the franchise to take
  • Foot_Elite_Tomei
    306 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

So - change my loadout to specifically counter a commander, or hope that someone in the air decides to help?

Yeah, no, f*** that - just get rid of Commander mode entirely. We don't need it, and it penalizes aggressive players.

How about dropping some C4 on UAV trailer on enemy base?

You just have experience with horrible implementation of Commander. Properly done and it could be fun.