Commander Mode. How?

snavelaer
1148 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Commander mode in Battlefield V. How? Shoot.
Let we build a commandermode with the community. Let's go.
Who's first.

Comments

• Noodlesocks
    3451 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    1: Commander is a player on the map (Like BF2)
    2: Commander requires physical assets on the map to use abilities (Like BF2) instead of depending on what flags your team owns
    3: Commander assets can be destroyed to deny the use of abilities
    4: Commander assets have to be placed on the map in commander mode and built by players RTS style (so they can't just camp in the uncap zone)

These assets could range from aerial recon, Similar to the scan from BF2 where the enemy will ping on the commander view but it is the commanders job to spot them for the team. Supply drops, vehicle drops, artillery strikes, smoke artillery paratrooper spawn point (like the vehicle drop from BF3, plane flies over the map and players can choose to drop where they want until it is shot down or leaves the map)

5: Commander can place unique, player controlled assets such as heavy emplacements (think Flak 88) and bomber command (like in BF1942 and 4)
    6: Commander can only drive jeeps/bikes and can only earn commander points.

I had thought about a resource/economy system too but I think that would just be complicating it more than it needs to be.
  • Foot_Elite_Tomei
    306 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    -Commander does have unique class' kit limiting weapons and tools for self-defense, communicating with team and keeping Commander assets running.
  • snavelaer
    1148 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2018
    1: Commander is a player on the map (Like BF2)
    agree. Unless anyone else has a reason to play commander bf4 style.
    2: Commander requires physical assets on the map to use abilities (Like BF2) instead of depending on what flags your team owns
    Agree. Anyone else wants abilities from a flag?
    3: Commander assets can be destroyed to deny the use of abilities
    agree supporting 2nd argument.
    4: Commander assets have to be placed on the map in commander mode and built by players RTS style (so they can't just camp in the uncap zone)
    Can you elaborate on that. Like the fortications and or a bit like Post Scriptum/squad/PR?
    These assets could range from aerial recon, Similar to the scan from BF2 where the enemy will ping on the commander view but it is the commanders job to spot them for the team. Supply drops, vehicle drops, artillery strikes, smoke artillery paratrooper spawn point (like the vehicle drop from BF3, plane flies over the map and players can choose to drop where they want until it is shot down or leaves the map)

5: Commander can place unique, player controlled assets such as heavy emplacements (think Flak 88) and bomber command (like in BF1942 and 4)
    Awesome. you mean Battlefield 1943 or not?
    6: Commander can only drive jeeps/bikes and can only earn commander points.
    To force loyalty to the role. Good one.

I had thought about a resource/economy system too but I think that would just be complicating it more than it needs to be.
    A bit like PR and so on? I wouldn't mind a logitruck if players want a slower pace from the metagame. To make that extra efford to reinforce a 'outpost' (fortification?) I wouldn't discard the idea yet Noodlesocks...
    -Commander does have unique class' kit limiting weapons and tools for self-defense, communicating with team and keeping Commander assets running.
    Good one. to force loyalty and not use the kit for themself I guess?. How limiting you want the class to be? Weapons.....a classy pistol only for me.

Anyone has problems with these designs or other insightfull constructive feedback? Join the caravan.
  • Obsidiann6
    68 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

Finally someone that sees how cool the integration of an advancded commander role could be in the franchise. Just check for games like Natural Selection 2 ( https://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Marine_Commander ) to see how much tactical depth could be added easily. If you follow this idea even more you could make it so that the commander is responsible for constructing / requesting the construction of vehicles or special equipment.

• DingoKillr
    4013 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    There is one thing BF2 had that needs to change. That is Squad Leader only can vote mutiny not all team players.

Also I rather see vehicle drop and smoke handled by squad leader allowing combat flexibility. While keeping supply drop and artillery strikes limited by commander.
  • snavelaer
    edited June 2018
    DingoKillr wrote: »
    There is one thing BF2 had that needs to change. That is Squad Leader only can vote mutiny not all team players.
    I personly would rather see some kind of credibility system where people instantly sees if the commander is somewhat reliable or not.
    + maybe a mutiny system for squadleaders.
    Also I rather see vehicle drop and smoke handled by squad leader allowing combat flexibility. While keeping supply drop and artillery strikes limited by commander.
    way of mutiny the commander, ok.
    don't fully understand what you mean, can you elaborate?

Can anybody tell me the biggest difference between the Battlefield 2 and the Battlefield 2142 commander?
  • DingoKillr
    4013 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    snavelaer wrote: »
    I personly would rather see some kind of credibility system where people instantly sees if the commander is somewhat reliable or not.
    + maybe a mutiny system for squadleaders.
    way of mutiny the commander, ok.
    don't fully understand what you mean, can you elaborate?

Can anybody tell me the biggest difference between the Battlefield 2 and the Battlefield 2142 commander?

If you look at BFV every Squad Leader can call vehicle drop, Artillery strike, Supplies drop and Smoke(?) which is the same as what a commander can do.

I am saying spilt so things that have a bigger impact on the game is less available so the commander get artillery and supplies while Squad leader gets vehicle and smoke.
  • snavelaer
    It is for me not totally clear what the abilities of the squadleaders are in BFV, anybody can?

About the credibilty system.

The current system doesn't tell if a squadleader is suited or credible. Why would I follow the orders of a random squadleader or commander?
    I suggested this already 2 years ago.
    48 players is optimal fun according to Dice.
    If you want more players they need to implement a command hierarchy that actually works.

Force squadmembers to stick with squadleader.
    Let squads have to make names for what they are about like
    - anti tank squad
    - infantry
    - tank squad
    -etc
    Give commanders the abilty to give missions to squads
    - tank squad defend infantry squad bravo
    - air squad protect tanksquad from air threats

You don't do what command wants?
    No points.

Do you have a bad commander?
    You can give your squadleader and commander a star ranking at the end of a round.
    Is he extremely good? Recomendation for purple heart Medal of Honor of Victoria Cross.
    Now you have a ranking system driven by community. Much like 'little big planet's ' player made level ranking system.

and elaborating on that in a different trhead...
    This system could be done but let's apply it on every aspect of the game...

Examples. You can rate your squadmembers, squadleader or commander from 1 till 5 stars. You can vote a player ones. So if you rated a player 3 stars once. The next time you see him you see that you gave him 3 stars. If you want to change that that it is possible when he is in your squad (or commander.) So if 10 people give you 1 star and 10 five stars, you have a average of 3 stars.

Your friends obvious give you 5 stars. So to other people this player is a 3 star player by 20 votes with 50% friendly votes. You following me? So it's up to yoy if you take this squadmember, squadleader or commander serious. Another thing I would like to introduce is a recomendation for a 'certain prestige' medal. For example you can give other players not only 5 stars but also a recomendation for a medal if that commander, squadleader or squadmember did something extraordinary. Only given ones by a player to a player and not possible by friends (to counter abuse )

Applying this doesn't say anything but a 5 star player with dozens of recomendation is less likely to drop out of transchopper that is full.
    This system is directly 'borrowed' from the community level rating system for Little Big Planet one. Where you could give community made levels a 1 till 5 rating and a <3 if you really loved a level.

Abuse was done but easily spotted. Bad level designers would swap hearts (You give my bad level a heart and I heart yours) but they were easily spotted due to low star rating. Also the amount of votes were shown.

In short a crediblity system that can't be abused!
    Why? Boosted rankings look like this...

- relative many recommendation for Medal of Honor, Victoria Cross, Iron Cross etc and Low star rating.
    - relative many recommendation for Medal of Honor, Victoria Cross, Iron Cross etc and High star rating (looks convincing) but is done by a relative small group of players (friends and clanmembers)

More trustworthy rankings are...

- relative many recommendation for Medal of Honor, Victoria Cross, Iron Cross etc and High stars rating and is done by relative many players (and thus not only friends but also randoms)
  • DingoKillr
    I am not a fan of in game privilege, a new or low usage player can have bad ratings while bad clan players could still have good ratings.
    First come, first to use, as for bad commanders may be just inexperienced after all if it is a Troll that is why the need for a munity function.

• snavelaer
    I am not a fan of in game privilege, a new or low usage player can have bad ratings while bad clan players could still have good ratings.
    First come, first to use, as for bad commanders may be just inexperienced after all if it is a Troll that is why the need for a munity function.

Absolutely true but at least there is something to lead on. I am not against a mutiny function for squadleaders.
    Anyone else forsee trouble with a credibility system?

Also by adding a way to rename the squad to represent a way for other teammates to understand what the Squad is about.
    So they can adjust their kit (archetypes?) accordingly.
    Second a Commander understand sooner that it is totally nonsense to send a tank squad to the tower on flag C in Siege of Shanghai (to get a useless cruisemissile). Happened to me more often than I would like.

Anyone has problems with these designs or other insightfull constructive feedback? Join us on our Quest!
  • snavelaer
    It is for me not totally clear what the abilities of the squadleaders are in BFV, anybody can?

About the credibilty system.

The current system doesn't tell if a squadleader is suited of credible. Why would I follow the orders of a random squadleader or commander?
    any ideas? opinions? views? insights?

Going once
  • S1ngular1ty
    801 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    There probably isn't a commander dude.
  • snavelaer
    but you never know what they might cook in the kitchen in feature releases