Weekly BF

Aircraft control mechanics

LtLethal1
6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
Hey guys,

So this is an extremely important aspect of the game for many. World War 2 has some of the most iconic aircraft and the most important air battles the world has ever seen, so it's important we don't let DICE off the hook for proper gameplay mechanics here.

It's too early to know how the customization is going to play out with all the different aircraft and their variants, BUT, if someone is lucky enough to get a chance to play at E3, please do us all a favor and share your experience.

Things we want to know:
-To what level can you control the aircraft? Are all control surfaces modeled and usable?
-What are the physics like? Is the aircraft able to defy gravity or laws of physics? IE is there an "airbrake" (the fake kind, not an actual airbrake like the JU87 had).
-Do all aircraft have the same characteristics? IE does the spitfire have a tighter turn radius than the 109? Is the 109 faster?
-To what altitude can we take these aircraft?
-Are G-forces modeled on the pilot? (Blackouts/Redouts?)
-Are the planes subject to overstress and failures? (Can I rip the wings off in a dive?)

-Are there annoying training wheels that inhibit players from fully taking advantage of the aircraft? (Looking at you BF1 singleplayer)

-Just how simplified are the aircraft going to be?

Please add your own questions/suggestions and please, if you've gotten the chance to play around with the aircraft, help the community out and give us some info.

Comments

• Reverend-1313
    178 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited June 2018
    It's going to be arcady garbage just like the battlefront and bf1 physics and flight models. The console audience in general can't be bothered with something that doesn't do 90% of the work for them. Just watch the vehicle trailer video. You can see everything you need to see from watching that.
  • YourLocalPlumber
    2973 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It's going to be arcady garbage just like the battlefront and bf1 physics and flight models. The console audience in general can't be bothered with something that doesn't do 90% of the work for them. Just watch the vehicle trailer video. You can see everything you need to see from watching that.

How is Battlefront aircraft physics compare to BF1? Battlefront is 2d flying where you can turn left and right, up and down. In BF1 its full control over the direction of the aircraft you're in.
  • Reverend-1313
    edited June 2018
    BF1 mechanics are so simplistic it's not like it's a revolution between Battlefront and BF1. If you want to see what a good flight model looks like you need to go back to BFBC2.

Everything since has been a steady progression towards simplifying and dumbing down so everyone can get their trophy and feel included.
  • YourLocalPlumber
    2973 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    BF1 mechanics are so simplistic it's not like it's a revolution between Battlefront and BF1. If you want to see what a good flight model looks like you need to go back to BFBC2.

Everything since has been a steady progression towards simplifying and dumbing down so everyone can get their trophy and feel included.

If only there were planes in BFBC2.
  • snavelaer
    1037 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I would like to see an increase in flightsealing , volumentric clouds, assymetrical warfare and a more realistic flightmodel. I ask for a lot!
    And I get rewarded sometimes...
    For example I asked 2 years before release of bf1 the removal of any 'magic' markers to highlight your foe. Now you have to search you foe's. Which made it incredibly more fun to fly!

Although I would love to see these things the skillgap between casuals and pro's would be to great I think. Which will lead to more 'AA are underpowered, planes are OP' threads.

DId you like the flightphysics of bf1943? I did.
  • CashIsSavage90
    23 postsMember Member

I see less people going 20+-0 on BF1 in airplanes than on BF4 with the little bird. Don't think the flying is any easier on BF1 than it is on BF4.
  • Reverend-1313
    Flying in BF4 was a joke as well. Gotta keep going back to where it actually took skill. BFBC2 and bfvietnam was kinda the sweet spot for heli flight.
  • LtLethal1
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

I don't think that's fair. Battlefield 1943 had much more complex flight controls and was far superior to what we have with BF1 and every title since that game. 1943 proved that console players could use a more complex system and it was very successful. They spawned an entire air superiority mode because flying in the game was so popular.

That said, it could have gone further and been even more entertaining.
  • Noodlesocks
    3034 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's probably going to be exactly like flying has always been in Battlefield.
  • Reverend-1313
    LtLethal1 wrote: »

I don't think that's fair. Battlefield 1943 had much more complex flight controls and was far superior to what we have with BF1 and every title since that game. 1943 proved that console players could use a more complex system and it was very successful. They spawned an entire air superiority mode because flying in the game was so popular.

That said, it could have gone further and been even more entertaining.

Have to take your word for it, never played 1943 as it wasn't PC game.
  • snavelaer
    1037 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    assymitrical fighters confirmed!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=pFjEz4AlEnI
  • OrigamiEdge
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited June 2018
    I aswell hope for some deeper air control mechanics, at least on a BF 3 level.
    Flying in BF 1 is just boring and dog fights take forever due the low skill ceiling.

But no matter whether they decide to make it easy or hard, they finally need to add the possibility to steer the plane while in firstperson freelook.
    It just doesn't make any sense to not be able to access the controls while just turning the head.
    Even more compared to the existing possibility to steer whilst looking behind you in a 3P view.

I hope this will finally be looked at.

Regards
  • Lethalsaints
    22 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    If it went back to BF3 jet mechanics that would be awesome. People learning to cut and switch etc. So satisfying once it is mastered. So many great pilots left after that game, was a real shame.
  • snavelaer
    If it went back to BF3 jet mechanics that would be awesome. People learning to cut and switch etc. So satisfying once it is mastered. So many great pilots left after that game, was a real shame.

you can still cut and switch in BF1