Customisation is here to stay (no client side toggle)

Comments

• FELT-Z___BRANN
    88 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I can’t believe I am asking this question, but will there be actual uniforms that you can equip?
  • doctorrocktor
    1932 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I can’t believe I am asking this question, but will there be actual uniforms that you can equip?

Yes or you can mix and match.i will just make my soldier look the part as probably most will.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6180 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    NLBartmaN wrote: »
    MORHpwVs7fs4k4DxqX3o8z2zkpvzywDrkFIWrqu6kCk.png?fit=crop&crop=faces%2Centropy&arh=2&w=960&s=d55f3b17e4e26111b7199305000bb298

The cost of customisation according to a dev

Nobody cares about those things when the money has to be made.
    Money > everything else in this world.
  • AlotOfThunder
    1545 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    MORHpwVs7fs4k4DxqX3o8z2zkpvzywDrkFIWrqu6kCk.png?fit=crop&crop=faces%2Centropy&arh=2&w=960&s=d55f3b17e4e26111b7199305000bb298

with premium gone, they had to find a source of revenue to make future content for the game, they chose a deep cosmetic customization system which wont affect gameplay as heavily as say, lootboxes that give you a competetive advantage over others.
  • Loqtrall
    12417 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

I hardly see how that's an issue now in BF5 when guns aren't balanced to perform at certain ranges with varying random deviation for each weapon type, and when it appears there will be at least one all-kit weapon type as Medics were using SLRs and SMGs.

The only reason for the need of identifying classes in BF1 is to know who you can and can't engage at a certain distance based on the class you're using, because some guns and their random spread made them completely ineffective past a specific range unless youre prone and spacing your shots.

That's not an issue in BF5 where random bullet deviation is gone and where you aim is where you shoot, and when you'll be seeing medics on the field using both medium range semi auto weapons, and close range full auto weapons...
  • disposalist
    8846 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    In BF5 when you spot a soldier it tells you the class. No, it's not as easy. I'm fine with it not being as easy, personally.

It was more important in BF1 because of the more 'slotted' class ability, notably the effective range of their weapons. This won't be so much of an issue in BF5.

*All* enemies will be dangerous at pretty much all ranges, so knowing the class without spotting isn't as important.

It take a split second to recognise friend from foe (blue blob appears). It takes another to work out what type of enemy (spotting tells you the class) if you feel you need to assess the thread further before engaging. Sounds realistic and tactical to me.
  • Natetendo83
    1029 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    it's kind of interesting to come to these forums. When I'm on Facebook, Reddit, even Twitter to some extent people are ripping the customization apart left and right. Seems like the last bastion of people who have accepted it came here lol
  • Alphazetamu
    692 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited June 2018
    it's kind of interesting to come to these forums. When I'm on Facebook, Reddit, even Twitter to some extent people are ripping the customization apart left and right. Seems like the last bastion of people who have accepted it came here lol

Most of us are reddit refugees, who got burned for having "controversial" ideas like being against the rainbow scope glint lol (they even had a hate thread on me at some point xD)
  • Loqtrall
    12417 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2018

That's because the rest of those places are hardly moderated and irrational vitriol is freely spewed by people who go unchecked by logical retorts.

People don't argue here because they get banned when they call people names or claim they're being stupid. They can't handle so many people bringing up arguments against their point that can hardly be retorted. Hell, even Marble Duck got argued off of this forum.

I'm willing to bet the vast majority of complaints about customization is its issue with historical accuracy and realism. And I'm willing to bet the majority of those complaints on Facebook, Reddit, and YouTube go unresponded by people like the BF fans here, who can directly reference multiple glaring and historically inaccurate or unrealistic features in EVERY BF GAME released in the past 16 years, and bring up the fact that those people are arguing for historical accuracy in a game belonging to a franchise that has always been blatantly historically inaccurate.

We already had a guy in this thread say he's just gonna keep playing BF1 because he "doesn't want to see ninjas" in the game, but he completely ignores the black scout you're forced to play as on the German team, or the female scout you're forced to play as on the Russian team, or the battle of Amiens that never happened as you're forced to play when it wins map voting.

I'm sure most complaints about it online are of the same ilk, and are just as easily counter-arguable.
  • bleachee
    970 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    What's the point of wearing the prettiest dress to prom if no one is going to look at it, right?
    -
    It's a very slippery slope that we're starting down now. Extensive character customization tied to microtransactions as part of a live service model. BFV may be the turning point in the franchise for a lot of folks. EA-Dice has made a very calculated decision that could alienate their veteran fan base but draw in a new fan base willing to make repeated purchases of microtransactions. They knew there would be a backlash, but they were willing to take that risk in an attempt to tap into that crazy MTX revenue. It might fail and we could see a more traditional BF next. Or it could be wildly successful and a lot of veteran players will find that it's no longer the game they loved.
  • disposalist
    8846 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited June 2018
    Loqtrall wrote: »

That's because the rest of those places are hardly moderated and irrational vitriol is freely spewed by people who go unchecked by logical retorts.
    Hehe was about to respond with pretty much the same.

Moderation does what it says on the tin. Thank you guys.

I've had arguments in here (and BF1 before) with lots of guys (@Loqtrall included!) and usually, you come to some agreement or accommodation and agree on other stuff and continue to disagree on some. If it weren't moderated, I imagine things would much more often start much more aggressively and/or wind up aggressive and people would spend all their time being toxic instead of using a forum for it's actual purpose.

At the end of the day, this is a BF fan forum. We all should have a lot in common.
  • Alphazetamu
    692 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I think the absence of downvoting is also important - just because something isn't popular doesn't mean it's wrong. Often the best reasoned ideas are very unpopular, because they go against people's innate biases.
  • Solid_SkG
    1134 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

And more than 50% of those who complaim will play this game if they haven pre ordered already.

In Facebook and Reddit you see the most toxic nonsense like "BFV looks like fortnite" or "lets cry about BR like they are forcing us to play it".

Reddit is only good if you want to see stuff like videos/pictures etc...stay away from discussions and comments.
  • Loqtrall
    edited June 2018
    I think the absence of downvoting is also important - just because something isn't popular doesn't mean it's wrong. Often the best reasoned ideas are very unpopular, because they go against people's innate biases.

I don't see how up votes means it's right either, or how downvotes would mean something is wrong.

They're just representations of someone else's opinion about someone else's opinion.
  • Solid_SkG
    1134 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Solid_Kas wrote: »

And more than 50% of those who complaim will play this game if they haven pre ordered already.

In Facebook and Reddit you see the most toxic nonsense like "BFV looks like fortnite" or "lets cry about BR like they are forcing us to play it".

Reddit is only good if you want to see stuff like videos/pictures etc...stay away from discussions and comments.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/8q274e/this_community_is_a_joke/?utm_source=reddit-android

I dont know if i am allowed to post stuff from reddit in here but this guy is ABSOLUTELY right.
  • disposalist
    bleachee wrote: »
    What's the point of wearing the prettiest dress to prom if no one is going to look at it, right?
    Yes.
    bleachee wrote: »
    It's a very slippery slope that we're starting down now. Extensive character customization tied to microtransactions as part of a live service model. BFV may be the turning point in the franchise for a lot of folks. EA-Dice has made a very calculated decision that could alienate their veteran fan base but draw in a new fan base willing to make repeated purchases of microtransactions. They knew there would be a backlash, but they were willing to take that risk in an attempt to tap into that crazy MTX revenue. It might fail and we could see a more traditional BF next. Or it could be wildly successful and a lot of veteran players will find that it's no longer the game they loved.
    They've said in a few different ways there will be no advantage given by customisation and there will be nothing that can't be bought with in-game currency.

Something like buying camo being considered pay-to-win is just inventing problems when anyone can buy it and default uniforms should be map specific ie. reasonably effective camo anyway, like they always are.
  • TEKNOCODE
    11591 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/8q274e/this_community_is_a_joke/?utm_source=reddit-android

I dont know if i am allowed to post stuff from reddit in here but this guy is ABSOLUTELY right.
    Agreed.

He receives bonus points for properly referring to Dice as an “it” versus “they.”
  • jerkmymeat
    65 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited June 2018
    I love it when people say it’s _____ companies game so they can do whatever they want as their defense. We’re the ones paying for it so we can ask for things we want or don’t want in it. And when you add things people didn’t want don’t say we were the one’s that did ask for it. That’s what DICE is doing with BR and to some extent customization.