This Week in Battlefield V

Goodbye sweet spot :D

BURGERKRIEG
935 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Yup.

It's confirmed by Mr EA himself.

No, not Andrew Wilson, he's returned by hydro-jet to his converted volcano island lair.

Westie.

Sounds like some of you new guys are going to have to learn how to actually shoot :P

Comments

• Ronin9572
    904 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    So basically every scout rifle will be the same? That's lame!
  • GuN_sLiNgErXD15
    475 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Very good news, only headshots should be ohk. The damage model for body shots will be pretty decent too I imagine.
  • Imabaka70
    2432 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The watching stodehs sniping gameplay the damage seemed decent for a center hit. Also looks like velocity is still roughly the same.

I can accept the loss of sweetspot, as long as it’s not airsoft style sniper rifles like bf4
  • Dogwoggle11
    2669 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The good Scouts/Recon won't have a problem with this.
  • MUH_Cwywardwaah
    1083 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    The good Scouts/Recon won't have a problem with this.

But den most snipors will run to da hills and not ptfo because the rsc machine gun death squads will not let them get near flags.
  • x_Undaunted_x
    3760 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Imabaka70 wrote: »
    The watching stodehs sniping gameplay the damage seemed decent for a center hit. Also looks like velocity is still roughly the same.

I can accept the loss of sweetspot, as long as it’s not airsoft style sniper rifles like bf4

This.

I'm fine with the sweetspot leaving (always thought it was kinda cheesy) but the sniper rifles needed the same velocity as BF1. BF4's sniper rifles were terrible.
  • vulpesveritas
    114 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Westie is saying that EA said they were increasing bullet drop.

In general though, given that scouts are already underplayed in BF1 statistically, idk what DICE will give them to redeem the class in BFV, or whether it'll be a net failure class.

Also, for what complaints you may have for the sweet spot mechanic, it did at least give you a reason to use one sniper rifle over another for different situations/maps. I have no idea what, if anything, there will be to differentiate bolt action rifles in BFV... which just seems to me to be a bad gameplay decision.
  • ShinoobyIsOP
    61 postsMember Member
    This is good news, but scope glint needs to go too.
  • Rename010101
    198 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2018
    Im glad,but it won’t stop scrubs from hiding on a hillside somewhere.
  • Alphazetamu
    692 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    On the positive side, it means no more mylittlepony rainbow flare :D
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3365 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    As long as it is never possible for a sniper rifle to get a one-shot-kill with anything but a headshot at any range, I'm fine with this change.
  • Alphazetamu
    692 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Actually, judging from Stodeh's vid, it looks like the scout rifles can do as low as 60 damage on a body hit (not clear if they were arm hits)...it looks like they've maybe also either reduced the base damage of scout rifles, or they've decreased the multiplier for arm hits. However the headshot hitbox is apparently bigger (but we don't know how much), so I wonder how scouts on console are gonna manage.
  • Ronin9572
    904 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Imabaka70 wrote: »

While I enjoyed the sweet spot, I totally agree with you on that. That's the problem with modern style snipers, just feel like different brand BB guns. Or the only thing that lets you know it's a different gun is name, round capacity, and bolt pattern
  • BURGERKRIEG
    935 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Traditionally in BF a bolt action is a high risk/reward weapon for a skilled shooter.

Scouts/sniping weapon handling decreased in difficulty in Hardline, making them easier to handle and more lethal.

I would say that sniping will be similar to that model.

You will have high velocity and bullet penetration.

A headshot is a OHK. Anything else will be damn near it, especially with the new health model.

If you can’t land two shots to the torso at mid or close range, then it’s not the class for your level of ability.

Differences in weapon handling can be subtle without such an overt mechanic that allows you to easily differentiate between them, however such concerns must take a back seat when designing the skill requirement for the weapon class as far as shooting mechanics are concerned IMO.

• Alphazetamu

You will have high velocity and bullet penetration.

Is this confirmed or are you speculating?

• BURGERKRIEG
    Only the sweet spot mechanic going is confirmed.

I watched this sniping video after watching Westie's video.

https://youtu.be/yP9h0u1Swjg

What I'm saying is that based on that it looks similar to Hardline, especially the velocity. Its pure speculation.

• Alphazetamu
    My impression was that actually the bullet velocity of the kar98k is quite low - there's quite a few shots at less than a 100m where you have several frames of bullet travel, whereas you don't see this with the gewehr 98 from BF1...
  • BURGERKRIEG
    My impression was that actually the bullet velocity of the kar98k is quite low - there's quite a few shots at less than a 100m where you have several frames of bullet travel, whereas you don't see this with the gewehr 98 from BF1...

Fair enough, I'll take your word for it.

I'm talking in general terms here, relating to the design ethos behind the rifles in the sniper class and why it might have changed back to models similar to pre BF1 games, like Hardline (yes sniper plagues are a concern).

One thing is certain and that's the gunplay as a whole has been changed radically, except this time they are being upfront about it and making sure the message is going out to the series fans before they get their hands on the game.

• Sixclicks
    5073 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2018
    Scout rifles will be useless and medics will rule mid-long range. That's all this really means.

The two hit kill time of bolt action rifles is way too slow to keep up with semi-auto rifles, and it's unreasonable to expect scouts to get a majority of headshots if they're attempting to play anywhere close to the objective. Thus scout rifle performance will rely heavily on the enemy being pre-injured or standing still. Meanwhile medic has the advantage there as well since they'll rarely be pre-injured since they can self heal.

And from the gameplay I saw, the SLR TTK is pretty damn fast.

I'm hoping there's at least some relatively fast firing scout rifles, maybe with less damage per hit, but at least capable of keeping up with SLRs. Something along the lines of the RSC for example.