Customisation is here to stay (no client side toggle)

Comments

• Loqtrall
    12177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    warslag wrote: »
    Loqtrall wrote: »
    You cannot assume that the micro-transactions in BFV will not be P2W. They had the same customisation MTs in R6S, with the same promise of no P2W, and yet there was at least one skin that is definitely P2W.

I am not assuming that they will be P2W in BFV. But I am not assuming that they won't be, either.

Westie just posted a video today with an interview where Daniel Berlin confirmed that each faction will have a set color pallette to choose from when customizing clothing, so apart from a unique jacket, etc that can be earned during tides of War events, all uniform customization will be limited to the color scheme of the factions. There's just different shades, which seems weird considering some of the camouflage patterns shown off in the reveal.

Which is probably why even through customization, everyone in the gameplay shown off was wearing dark colors on the German team.

Your assumptions and non assumptions can be put to rest.

All of that can change with a patch.

Why would it? He said it was done specifically to differentiate between the factions because it was a concern of theirs.

I can easily use your same logic to say BF5 will be My Little Pony Sunshine Adventures by the time it comes out. It makes just as much sense.
  • warslag
    1601 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    @Loqtrall

Your point of view is that there will never be any kind of P2W content in BF ever.

My point of view is that it is possible that P2W content could creep into BF. I have seen it in other games. Plus EA does make games that have P2W content such as FIFA.

What they say to their customers in the run-up to a new game release is going be what they think their customers want to hear. That can change with a patch.
  • Loqtrall
    12177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Loqtrall

Your point of view is that there will never be any kind of P2W content in BF ever.

My point of view is that it is possible that P2W content could creep into BF. I have seen it in other games. Plus EA does make games that have P2W content such as FIFA.

What they say to their customers in the run-up to a new game release is going be what they think their customers want to hear. That can change with a patch.

I highly doubt that. By the sound of it they want cosmetic items to be purely cosmetic, and they've now emphasized that 2 or 3 separate times, from higher up devs in the studio no less.

I'm not interested in arguing your speculation about the future instead of the product the Design Director and Creative Director of the studio said they will deliver, and what has been shown off, which supports what they've said thus far.
  • Rev0verDrive
    6760 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    A P2W skin would be a Ghillie that can only be obtained by Purchase. Items completely behind a paywall. Seeing as how "ALL" customizations that will be included in BFV will be obtainable by EITHER purchasing or using in-game currency. So technically P2W isn't plausible under these set conditions. At most you can "Pay to get sooner", but nothing is behind a paywall.
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    A P2W skin would be a Ghillie that can only be obtained by Purchase. Items completely behind a paywall. Seeing as how "ALL" customizations that will be included in BFV will be obtainable by EITHER purchasing or using in-game currency. So technically P2W isn't plausible under these set conditions. At most you can "Pay to get sooner", but nothing is behind a paywall.

Pay 2 win is very subjective.....people online can't even agree with a standard term. While I agree mostly with your statement, others will also state that things that you can get much sooner than grinding out is also P2W since you do get a tactical advantage.

Great example are all the mobile games out there. You can get characters if you grind out, but in the end those who pay get them first and can then dominate in tournaments. This can easily be classified P2W even though the items are not available just for people who pay.
  • S1ngular1ty
    801 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    You guys have to understand that the customization is how they plan to make all their money on this game. They aren't going to kill it for any reason. This is how most new games are. Get used to it.
  • CIimaXD
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Its all about the money doods! They dont give a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ about the die hard battlefield fans, they dont give a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ about historical accuracy, they dont give a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ about you too SJW. Its all about the ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ money nowadays. End of story.
  • Dogwoggle11
    2669 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2018
    (Double post out of nowhere. Y u do dis forum?)
    Post edited by Dogwoggle11 on
  • disposalist
    8745 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    So DICE outright state there will be no P2W and people are here arguing that there *might* be? What is the point?

As for the customisation switch: Getting rid of premium splitting the fan base and using customisation as a revenue stream is more important than hurt feelings over non-issues of "historical accuracy" and political conspiracies.
  • warslag
    1601 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Why don't we want micro-transactions, P2W and gambling in highly addictive video games? Why? Why? We must be stupid duuuuh!

Why don't we trust game companies that employ behavioural scientists to study us so that they can deliver their micro-transactions more effectively?

Why don't we trust sleek young game developers with their shiny fashionable hair and tattoos when we read in the news about a little girl being utterly addicted to video games and spending money on her parents credit card to fund her addiction?

Why-oh-why-oh-why don't we take their word for it when they say there won't be any P2W micro-transaction in BFV when we have heard all these promises and seen them broken before?

Micro-transactions are not OK. Gambling in video games is abysmal and P2W is appalling.
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Why don't we want micro-transactions, P2W and gambling in highly addictive video games? Why? Why? We must be stupid duuuuh!

Why don't we trust game companies that employ behavioural scientists to study us so that they can deliver their micro-transactions more effectively?

Why don't we trust sleek young game developers with their shiny fashionable hair and tattoos when we read in the news about a little girl being utterly addicted to video games and spending money on her parents credit card to fund her addiction?

Why-oh-why-oh-why don't we take their word for it when they say there won't be any P2W micro-transaction in BFV when we have heard all these promises and seen them broken before?

Micro-transactions are not OK. Gambling in video games is abysmal and P2W is appalling.

Well with the uproar of people not wanting to buy premium EA needed to find a different way to gain aftermarket revenue.

Many said before becareful what you wish for cause this is what will be the outcome. It will now be very hard to put the genie back in the bottle.
  • TEKNOCODE
    11463 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »

Well with the uproar of people not wanting to buy premium EA needed to find a different way to gain aftermarket revenue.

Many said before becareful what you wish for cause this is what will be the outcome. It will now be very hard to put the genie back in the bottle.
    Correct. Also, it’s simply skins at this point, i.e. not p2w.
  • Loqtrall
    edited June 2018

I don't see how any of this is an issue with game developers.

Addiction is a human affliction that can be triggered by almost anything. People are addicted to coffee, some people are addicted to shopping, some people are addicted to trading card games. I have a friend who is literally addicted to soda and gets upset if he doesn't have any for an extended period of time (mere days).

Does that mean soda companies should stop making their drinks so delicious? No, that means my friend has a problem.

I assume the little girl you're talking about is the one who was addicted to Fortnite and has been put in rehab for going to the extent of soiling herself because she wouldn't get off the game?

If so, that's a blatant parenting issue. First off the kid, so young, shouldn't have been playing such a game in the first place. I used to live with my sister and 4 year old niece and she wasn't even allowed to be in the room when I played Grand Theft Auto or Battlefield, she wasn't allowed to even touch my consoles. She plays Roblox in my sister's phone, and even then we still had her outside playing with friends more than on that phone.

The point some people are easily addicted to things is moot - it's a personal issue. Note how cigarettes are still sold in every department store, notice how bars are still open, notice how I can still go to Vegas and gamble all my money away. Why should gaming be the one thing in the world dictated by whether or not people have addictive personalities?

I never understood the reasoning behind insisting microtransactions are bad because SOME people MAY have an addictive personality. That wad Jim Sterling argues the same dumb point on his YouTube channel. As if a game designer is supposed to cater all of its post launch content around that incredibly small group of people who may or may not even buy their games.

As for me - I've never bought a microtransactional item in all my time gaming. Not a single loot box, not a single key in CS go, never bought a battle pack at all in BF ever, never bought any skins in Rainbow 6, etc. But I'm still fine with the system being there. It's a sensible system generally done well (or at least okay) in most AAA games, and it seems to be going the same way for BF5.

Would I prefer a paid dlc premium pass system? Hell yes I would, that way I'm guaranteed post launch content in bulk. But I'm not going to have a hissy fit over cosmetic microtransactions either.
  • disposalist
    8745 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Yeah no one said that.

This is sounding like some kind of heady envy-paranoia mix. Doesn't really contribute to a forum discussion.
    When have DICE broken that kind of promise? I fully admit I may have missed that.
    Absolutely, but given they have said explicitly that this will not happen, what are you hoping to gain by continuing to post about the possibility they might be lying to us?
  • Dogwoggle11
    2669 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    He is broken.
  • Loqtrall
    Oh, and just to add on to what I said above - on the gambling topic:

Most microtransactions in AAA games are not a form of gambling. Gambling, in the traditional sense, implies that there's a chance to leave with absolutely nothing of value. To put money in, and have a possibility of leaving with absolutely nothing.

In the case of most games with randomized loot box microtransactions, you're ALWAYS guaranteed at least some form of a reward. In pretty much all of them if you receive a duplicate item, you get some form of currency or something in its place. Even DICE changed BF1s weapon skin system to work that way.

If those types of microtransactions are a form of gambling and need to be banned - we better start banning trading card games like Pokémon, Magic The Gathering, Yu Gi Oh, etc because they do the EXACT SAME THING with booster packs. Loot boxes are literally the same exact concept in a digital form.

I mean, come on, guys.
  • von_Campenstein
    6621 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »

Pay 2 win is very subjective.....people online can't even agree with a standard term. While I agree mostly with your statement, others will also state that things that you can get much sooner than grinding out is also P2W since you do get a tactical advantage.

Great example are all the mobile games out there. You can get characters if you grind out, but in the end those who pay get them first and can then dominate in tournaments. This can easily be classified P2W even though the items are not available just for people who pay.

It is indeed, on PC people with more money and interest in computers have paid more and have a better machine and an edge on me, they've paid to win. Should I demand to only play with people on my spectrum of hardware? Nah, they're that invested it probably means the world to them, my gripe is people with ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ gear getting compensated, the snowflakes if you will.
  • Natetendo83
    1024 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The comical thing is I'm seeing more and more people wanting Premium to come back after seeing the gameplay and some of the outlandish outfits lol
  • VBALL_MVP
    The comical thing is I'm seeing more and more people wanting Premium to come back after seeing the gameplay and some of the outlandish outfits lol

People are like a tennis game. One minute they want one thing, then they say no and want another. Even the precious YouTubers that many are referencing have flip flopped what they want.

In the end the conclusion is no one knows what they really want. Basically DICE is better suited at a "create your own game" product so everyone can play in their own sandbox
    alone
    and do their own thing
    by themselves
  • AGAS-UY
    21 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited June 2018
    TLDR: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfXe4K8VQAIX7Mg.jpg:large

Damn, I thought for sure they were going to add that switch. This is a deal breaker, for me at least.

I've made my point about historical accuracy in other threads, I'm not going to bore everyone again with it. Bottom line is: I expected this game to resemble one of those History Channel documentaries in Black and White, only with the Frostbite engine and impressive sound effects.

Nothing else, nothing more.

Of course I'll keep an eye on gameplay videos and will still participate in some threads, but I don't see myself playing this game to be honest, it's clear that today's audience is different to the one that of, say, MOHAA and DICE knows it. To those that expected a Fortnite-mixed-with-the-Sims shooter, congratulations, you got it.