Article from EA's chief creative explaining to either 'accept women are in the game or don't buy it'

145791013

Comments

  • TyroneLoyd
    356 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    A female character isnt going to stop me from whipping a teams behind. I could careless what customization option there are in mp. Im in it for strictly gameplay.
  • Tigerchips
    34 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited June 13
    Speaking of tin foil hat theory's, this thread starts with 5 positive posts and then a whole lot of mixed posts afterwards. Just thought i'd mention it.

    I've been a veteran for many years and this attitude from Patrick disgusts me. Even shed a tear because this isn't the Dice i knew years ago, and i certainly don't think they would have put me into a group and accused me of sexism. Which, BTW, is how some wars start, hatred for a group i mean. I was on the fence about buying this game, looks like BF4 will be my last EA title.
  • VBALL_MVP
    5476 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »
    NLBartmaN wrote: »
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »

    All they said is if you don't like it don't buy it.....I mean do you really think a person that diesnt like the game was going to buy it and now won't cause of what he said?

    Really?

    Yes, insulting people and calling them all kind of things and telling everyone the game does have an agenda is .. a reason to not buy.

    Especially when you say there is a way to make more money, but you don't do that, because your daughter was hurt .. and you compared BF5 to Fortnite ..

    Tell people if they don't like it don't buy it is not insulting. It's being up front that they are not bending on this.
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »
    I-Soldat-I wrote: »
    EA has stockholders to answer to, saying accept the game or don't buy it is a strange thing to say to the gaming public. There will be tons of games this fall from BF V to Red Dead Redemption 2....If they want BF V to be a fail, it's on them and they can answer to their stockholders over it. Bad PR EA

    Is it? Or is it them being honest and transparent that they are not flexible on this topic?

    EA Investor - How did you manage to loose few hundred million dollars.
    Patrick Soderlund - We told our customers not to buy our product.

    All they said is if you don't like it don't buy it.....I mean do you really think a person that diesnt like the game was going to buy it and now won't cause of what he said?

    Really?

    First of all, in our case its not just 1 person, its a big junk our entire BF community that is unhappy with the changes.

    Secondly, judging by the first point and the fact that we're the ones who pay EA to make battlefield, it puts all the power in our hands. If a large portion of the community doesn't like the product, there must be something done or else it will result in few missing 0s in the profit list.
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »
    I-Soldat-I wrote: »
    EA has stockholders to answer to, saying accept the game or don't buy it is a strange thing to say to the gaming public. There will be tons of games this fall from BF V to Red Dead Redemption 2....If they want BF V to be a fail, it's on them and they can answer to their stockholders over it. Bad PR EA

    Is it? Or is it them being honest and transparent that they are not flexible on this topic?

    EA Investor - How did you manage to loose few hundred million dollars.
    Patrick Soderlund - We told our customers not to buy our product.

    All they said is if you don't like it don't buy it.....I mean do you really think a person that diesnt like the game was going to buy it and now won't cause of what he said?

    Really?

    First of all, in our case its not just 1 person, its a big junk our entire BF community that is unhappy with the changes.

    Secondly, judging by the first point and the fact that we're the ones who pay EA to make battlefield, it puts all the power in our hands. If a large portion of the community doesn't like the product, there must be something done or else it will result in few missing 0s in the profit list.

    You missed the point. If a person doesn't like the game they are not going to buy it regardless if the CEO says not to buy it.

    It just makes them more angry because they realize they don't have control on what DICE makes.

    Not true, if they would've come out and said "Hey, yeah we see there is a problem here, we will gather info and make changes to toggle female character on/off." Then a lot of people might've changed their opinion and gave them a chance. But their current statement got those people turned away completely.

    But they don't see there is a problem, and that was very clear in their statement.

    So like I said...not the fact they said it that is making people mad....more of the fact that it clearly solidifies that this is not changing.

    Yeah, they clearly haven't seen a problem in SWBF2 when whole community flipped out. They were like - Hurdurdur everything is ok, exactly as it should be, there is no issues and they're not going to change anything....until they realized their sales were low AF and they had to do something. So they removed P2W and re-built entire progression system. So the community was victorious.

    So tell me, what will stop people from achieving the same goal in BF5?

    That's actually not what happened. But ok go run with that.
  • aypee
    129 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Why is dice sticking to their guns and not caving to a vocal minority a problem? Since when is people standing by their opinions and decisions a problem? I know in this age of gaming with how everyone thinks their pedestal is so important that the world should bend to their every request but I'm actually glad theyre not caving because it's honestly a trivial issue. Complain more, complain louder, dice is obviously very happy with their decision to go forward with their customization.

    Next, I can't do anything but laugh how people are trying to judge the dice devs for letting their kids play violent video games. So no one here played m rated games before they were 18?no went to r rated movies before they were 18?didn't smoke before 18?didn't have alcohol before 21?remained a virgin till they were married. This is laughable. Get off your high horses and don't pretend to know what's best for other people and how to raise their kids. I did every thing above way earlier than most people should yet have never committed a violent crime let alone got arrested for violence and have a beautiful girlfriend along with a great career. It's disgusting that some of you are even pointing fingers at the devs for this
  • SumwhatKrazy
    185 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Its all going down the toilet, now even Japan is bending the knee, no jiggling boobs in DOA anymore :( Watch their sales nose dive dramatically.

    Back on topic though, i thought the interview was lame.



  • I-Soldat-I
    1402 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Its all going down the toilet, now even Japan is bending the knee, no jiggling boobs in DOA anymore :( Watch their sales nose dive dramatically.

    Back on topic though, i thought the interview was lame.



    Now I am truly depressed! (on DOA)
  • CHAMMOND1992
    545 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »
    NLBartmaN wrote: »
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »

    All they said is if you don't like it don't buy it.....I mean do you really think a person that diesnt like the game was going to buy it and now won't cause of what he said?

    Really?

    Yes, insulting people and calling them all kind of things and telling everyone the game does have an agenda is .. a reason to not buy.

    Especially when you say there is a way to make more money, but you don't do that, because your daughter was hurt .. and you compared BF5 to Fortnite ..

    Tell people if they don't like it don't buy it is not insulting. It's being up front that they are not bending on this.
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »
    I-Soldat-I wrote: »
    EA has stockholders to answer to, saying accept the game or don't buy it is a strange thing to say to the gaming public. There will be tons of games this fall from BF V to Red Dead Redemption 2....If they want BF V to be a fail, it's on them and they can answer to their stockholders over it. Bad PR EA

    Is it? Or is it them being honest and transparent that they are not flexible on this topic?

    EA Investor - How did you manage to loose few hundred million dollars.
    Patrick Soderlund - We told our customers not to buy our product.

    All they said is if you don't like it don't buy it.....I mean do you really think a person that diesnt like the game was going to buy it and now won't cause of what he said?

    Really?

    First of all, in our case its not just 1 person, its a big junk our entire BF community that is unhappy with the changes.

    Secondly, judging by the first point and the fact that we're the ones who pay EA to make battlefield, it puts all the power in our hands. If a large portion of the community doesn't like the product, there must be something done or else it will result in few missing 0s in the profit list.
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »
    I-Soldat-I wrote: »
    EA has stockholders to answer to, saying accept the game or don't buy it is a strange thing to say to the gaming public. There will be tons of games this fall from BF V to Red Dead Redemption 2....If they want BF V to be a fail, it's on them and they can answer to their stockholders over it. Bad PR EA

    Is it? Or is it them being honest and transparent that they are not flexible on this topic?

    EA Investor - How did you manage to loose few hundred million dollars.
    Patrick Soderlund - We told our customers not to buy our product.

    All they said is if you don't like it don't buy it.....I mean do you really think a person that diesnt like the game was going to buy it and now won't cause of what he said?

    Really?

    First of all, in our case its not just 1 person, its a big junk our entire BF community that is unhappy with the changes.

    Secondly, judging by the first point and the fact that we're the ones who pay EA to make battlefield, it puts all the power in our hands. If a large portion of the community doesn't like the product, there must be something done or else it will result in few missing 0s in the profit list.

    You missed the point. If a person doesn't like the game they are not going to buy it regardless if the CEO says not to buy it.

    It just makes them more angry because they realize they don't have control on what DICE makes.

    Not true, if they would've come out and said "Hey, yeah we see there is a problem here, we will gather info and make changes to toggle female character on/off." Then a lot of people might've changed their opinion and gave them a chance. But their current statement got those people turned away completely.

    But they don't see there is a problem, and that was very clear in their statement.

    So like I said...not the fact they said it that is making people mad....more of the fact that it clearly solidifies that this is not changing.
    So tell me, what will stop people from achieving the same goal in BF5?

    Because you're overestimating how many people actually give a **** about a female, as opposed to progression being highly coupled with loot boxes. I really don't understand how the CEO is giving EA bad PR? How can people be so oblivious to the cultural climate right now? Claiming to side with women, or at least shaping your view to sound like that, IS good PR. No premium pass, no fragmentation of the player base, less emphasis on microtransactions on an EA triple A title, but giving the middle finger to a group in which the CEO believes won't buy the game because of a female is bad PR? You poor thing, you have no clue what is going on and you are so powerless to stop it.
  • YUKnowWhatItIz
    184 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited June 13
    TyroneLoyd wrote: »
    A female character isnt going to stop me from whipping a teams behind. I could careless what customization option there are in mp. Im in it for strictly gameplay.

    Exactly, us adults don't care, I just want to take a dump on noobs. Guarantee most the complaints are coming from corn ball nerds. Some of you need to go out and get some fresh air
  • JZRJDC
    25 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Personally I couldn't give a toss, as long as they die when my bullets hit them, and they're stabbable i'm not bothered. Seen a huge amount of people kicking off about it though.

    https://usgamer.net/articles/ea-on-women-in-battlefield-v-haters-can-either-accept-it-or-dont-buy-the-game

    I think it will be great to have women, then i can make my dream of having Padmé Amidala and Martin Luther King Jr. fight side by side in the ****-****.
  • JZRJDC
    25 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited June 13
    waf fen s_ s
    Post edited by JZRJDC on
  • Allegiance26
    60 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Personally I couldn't give a toss, as long as they die when my bullets hit them, and they're stabbable i'm not bothered. Seen a huge amount of people kicking off about it though.

    https://usgamer.net/articles/ea-on-women-in-battlefield-v-haters-can-either-accept-it-or-dont-buy-the-game

    Watched Angry Joes gameplay footage the other day. The screams were a bit unsettling when it was a female. But good on them for finally telling the whiners to buzz off.
  • SumwhatKrazy
    185 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited June 13
    I-Soldat-I wrote: »
    Its all going down the toilet, now even Japan is bending the knee, no jiggling boobs in DOA anymore :( Watch their sales nose dive dramatically.

    Back on topic though, i thought the interview was lame.



    Now I am truly depressed! (on DOA)

    Yeah man i never ever ever ever thought even the Japanese would give into the feminist SJW BS. Its a sad day. Sad day for the series and hopefully not for the future of Japanese games.
    I guess it will only effect Japanese games released outside of Japan for the most part. Funny how these people have to ruin everything hey?

    Admittedly i dont really play Japanese games like i used to and didn't buy the last DOA. Still find it saddening though.

    They may as well just keep their games the same and just not release them in the west. Like they did with DOA extreme beach volley ball 3. $ i guess. But even though i thought DOA was a really awesome fighting game that was friccing epic when two good players are going head to head, lets be honest, a lot of the sales were due to the boobs.

    Back on the topic of BF, i have been playing BF since BF2, been in clans and met a lot of people through the game, can honestly say that that i have met probably 5 or less females playing the game.
    I really really doubt having a female soldier in the game and on the cover art will attract more female players. If that's really the true intent then i doubt it will work.
    I guess time will tell.
    TyroneLoyd wrote: »
    A female character isnt going to stop me from whipping a teams behind. I could careless what customization option there are in mp. Im in it for strictly gameplay.

    Exactly, us adults don't care, I just want to take a dump on noobs. Guarantee most the complaints are coming from corn ball nerds. Some of you need to go out and get some fresh air

    Funny that you say that, i actually just got back from going for a walk. lol.

    Iam not on the boycott thing, i just think its lame. Unnecessary anyhow.





    Post edited by SumwhatKrazy on
  • purpleflump
    260 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I'm upset that there is only two genders that we can choose from, war should be for everyone, being a flametrooper in the 3rd Reich shouldn't just be for straight white males.... finally a step in the right direction
  • HawkeyeAM47
    979 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    What am i going to tell my velociraptor daughter now?

    Clever girl ;)
  • A7XOGG
    229 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    This isn't going to end well. It's going to please the people fully on board with the game, or those who want to be women just to mess with people. But the bigger picture is that EA/DICE just lost a lot of customers and the echo chambers (including here) that support anything they do don't necessarily represent your average gamer who will walk into a store, see a Battlefield game that claims to be set in WWII, and laugh as they put it back on the shelf because it has a girl on the front of the box of a WWII game.

    And before you come at me with the "well they are sexist" comments let me say this: no, they are not. People who know anything about WWII know that female involvement is minimal with a few exceptions. When your average customer thinks WWII they think Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers. A WWII game that focus on women as much as DICE is simply will not be popular.

    Who we're making all the vehicles, bullets, shells, air planes, uniforms, guns, etc etc when all the men were on the front lines? Just because they were or we're not on the front line doesn't mean they weren't a huge part of ww2. Cause if they didn't work to make all the supplies, the would have been over in a week for us.
  • purpleflump
    260 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    A7XOGG wrote: »
    This isn't going to end well. It's going to please the people fully on board with the game, or those who want to be women just to mess with people. But the bigger picture is that EA/DICE just lost a lot of customers and the echo chambers (including here) that support anything they do don't necessarily represent your average gamer who will walk into a store, see a Battlefield game that claims to be set in WWII, and laugh as they put it back on the shelf because it has a girl on the front of the box of a WWII game.

    And before you come at me with the "well they are sexist" comments let me say this: no, they are not. People who know anything about WWII know that female involvement is minimal with a few exceptions. When your average customer thinks WWII they think Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers. A WWII game that focus on women as much as DICE is simply will not be popular.

    Who we're making all the vehicles, bullets, shells, air planes, uniforms, guns, etc etc when all the men were on the front lines? Just because they were or we're not on the front line doesn't mean they weren't a huge part of ww2. Cause if they didn't work to make all the supplies, the would have been over in a week for us.

    I assume you can say that because you were there? And your WRONG because of the global trade set up Britain and America were fine and also there were still millions of men still working in factories.
    If they make a Male Lara Croft because after all "it's just a game" then I'll buy battlefield V. The v standing for female genitalia
  • Hawxxeye
    1246 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited June 13
    To be perfectly honest I am much more interested in the gameplay quality than if the people I shoot at use female avatars.

    If the gameplay happens to be terrible, it does not matter how much of an immersive sausage-fest the game is

    I am actually glad that the woman on the BFV cover does not look as creepy as the woman on the BF1 login screen
  • Kozer213
    125 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Its going to be so much fun hearing the screams of the females as they die in game.
  • Mackstan71
    90 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Personally I couldn't give a toss, as long as they die when my bullets hit them, and they're stabbable i'm not bothered. Seen a huge amount of people kicking off about it though.

    https://usgamer.net/articles/ea-on-women-in-battlefield-v-haters-can-either-accept-it-or-dont-buy-the-game

    That Chief creator guy is a wise man.



This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!