Article from EA's chief creative explaining to either 'accept women are in the game or don't buy it'

Comments

• SumwhatKrazy
    176 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited June 13
    I'm upset that there is only two genders that we can choose from, war should be for everyone, being a flametrooper in the 3rd Reich shouldn't just be for straight white males.... finally a step in the right direction

lol :D
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest I am much more interested in the gameplay quality than if the people I shoot at use female avatars.

I was actually one of those people that used a pic of a cute Japanese girl or anime girl as my avatar before they banned them lol. And i have an anime girl as my emblem currently.
    Not really the same thing as running around as a female in game though , especially in a WW2 game.

Not sure how you can compare an avatar with an actual character/character model?

But yeah, really hoping the game play is good.

• DonSharkito
    643 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited June 13
    Wether you are pro or against cosmetic customisation and the way they are implemented, I think no one should accept the way
    one of EA's top exec is trying to dismiss the critics and the way he is addressing his consumers.

I mean calling people that disagree or criticise legitimately parts of your game as "uneducated" is offending, and just shows blatantly how out of touch and arrogant some of these people are. It is a quick and easy way to dismiss all of your critics by simply putting everyone who disagrees with you in the same muck bucket.

They are acting like they are the paragon of morality (but in reality behind this fuss there are only financial reasons) , but the truth is they are not reinventing the wheel. There are countless games that existed for a long time in the industry which allowed you playing a female character through customisations or by having a female lead role, and for the vast majority, no one ever complained about them.

Including your daughters in your argumentation makes it imo sounding even more out of touch and ridiculous.

I am not a big fan of cosmetic customisation in a game like Battlefield, but I am looking forward to this game because gameplay is more important to me than visuals or looks. But I was still kind of offended by his sayings.
    Post edited by DonSharkito on
  • zenn_nme
    145 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited June 13
    He could have said to his daughter; Well... Women took on many different roles during WW2 to support to war effort; just check out this list. We're going to include some of them in the game and give them the proper hommage they deserve as in BF1. In 5 years time you'll be old enough to play it and see for yourself. So now, go back to your dollhouse game; try not to set that kitchen on fire and lose her arm again...

• R1ckyDaMan19
    138 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    He should really ask himself why he would let his 13 year old daughter play a potentially 18/mature rated video game.
  • GRIZZ11283
    4554 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Quality thread :lol:
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    3076 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I'm upset that there is only two genders that we can choose from, war should be for everyone, being a flametrooper in the 3rd Reich shouldn't just be for straight white males.... finally a step in the right direction

lol :D
    To be perfectly honest I am much more interested in the gameplay quality than if the people I shoot at use female avatars.

I was actually one of those people that used a pic of a cute Japanese girl or anime girl as my avatar before they banned them lol. And i have an anime girl as my emblem currently.
    Not really the same thing as running around as a female in game though , especially in a WW2 game.

Not sure how you can compare an avatar with an actual character/character model?

What's wrong with cute anime girls on avatars though?
  • Hawxxeye
    1155 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited June 13
    He should really ask himself why he would let his 13 year old daughter play a potentially 18/mature rated video game.
    This is actually a very solid point.
    It also openly acknowledges that the age ratings are more often than not excessive
  • fisknyllet17
    1406 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    GGAMA92 wrote: »
    Another thread that turns into a salt mine.

It's just a game. Get over it.

Mein kampf is just a book. Its author is just a human. Can you get over it?

Comparing a videogame to Mein Kampf? :D :D :D :D :D :D

I've read plenty of stupid things on these forums but, oh man, that one is up there among the best.

Mein Kampf is actually a good book.
    No. It's not. After reading it I had to tear my eyes out.
  • FELT-Z___BRANN
    78 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Kozer213 wrote: »
    Its going to be so much fun hearing the screams of the females as they die in game.

It will be even more fun when Anita Sarkeesian makes a video about it.
  • Solid_Kas
    1081 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Not a huge fan of EA but the guy is right.

Either accept ir or dont buy it and move on,nothing is going to change just because a small group of people doesnt want women and cosmetics in the game.
  • MayorMarionBarry
    1958 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Private companies can shape their products however they want.

Capitalism, baby.
  • bigynzing
    87 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I work for the fire service, 11 years and counting...I recently had to spend 6 months off work because of personnel problems I was having with the job, I was struggling to handle certain situations...i live with it and will never be comfortable with hearing girls wimpering for help ever...I understand this is a personal issue and people with my expierences are few and far between. It's not sexist or misogynism on my part, I work along side an extremely capable and extremely tough woman, I've seen her drag some big old boys out of harm's way over the years...like I said very capable...i have no qualms with her having my back, it wouldn't be the first time.
  • TEKNOCODE
    7502 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited June 13

Patrick Soderlund said his daughter plays Fortnite and she asked about the hysteria over BF5 females and not about why she couldn't play BF5 as a girl.

Embarrassingly, even a 13-year-old girl is aware of BF fans looking like misogynists and pedants in social media and global press. She said, "I can be a girl in Fortnite. Why are people so upset about this?".

This is completely lost in the overreaction. She asked about the hysteria...
    Post edited by TEKNOCODE on
  • SumwhatKrazy
    176 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited June 13
    It also openly acknowledges that the age ratings are more often than not excessive
    It would be a solid point if it weren't based in complete fabrication. It was the 13-year-old girl who had the solid point.

Patrick Soderlund said his daughter plays Fortnite and she asked about the hysteria over BF5 females and not about why she couldn't play BF5 as a girl.

Embarrassingly, even a 13-year-old girl is aware of BF fans looking like misogynists and pedants in social media and global press. She said, "I can be a girl in Fortnite. Why are people so upset about this?".

I have friends that don't even play video games asking my WTF is going on.

Of course, once again though, why let some facts or reason stand in the way of a good old internet tantrum.

Maybe a 13 year old girl doesn't know or care much about history?
    It's really the endless argument as to if historical accuracy matters or not as far as for immersion and the like.
    Different people have different opinions. Hers or yours isn't fact.
  • Dogwoggle11
    2435 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    It would be a solid point if it weren't based in complete fabrication. It was the 13-year-old girl who had the solid point.

I have friends that don't even play video games asking my WTF is going on.

Of course, once again though, why let some facts or reason stand in the way of a good old internet tantrum.

It's really the endless argument as to if historical accuracy matters or not as far as for immersion and the like.

Medics had to be awesome back in WW2 if they could revive people by sticking them with a needle, man.

History!
  • Loqtrall
    10371 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited June 13
    EA Investor - How did you manage to loose few hundred million dollars.
    Patrick Soderlund - We told our customers not to buy our product.

Lol you really think Battlefield 5 is going to lose EA hundreds of millions of dollars in game sales?

You do realize that's millions of people worth of normal game sales, right? You really think there's going to be 3,000,000+ people who WERE going to buy this game, but decided not to because of customization and a developer at EA told them not to buy the game if they don't want it? How does that even make sense? That's like a significant fraction of even the best selling BF game's sales numbers.

You're acting as if everyone complaining concretely aren't going to buy the game. There's already been several people on this forum to admit they're still getting the game despite their complaints...

.... The avatar is your character model. It's not just a word for the picture beside your name. Have you never seen the movie Avatar, or any media that's referenced that when a character goes into a virtual world/uses a virtual body, etc?

Or maybe a 13 year old girl is wiser than most people complaining here and knows how to separate the real world from video games inspired by the real world, and isn't going to have a hissy fit when there's something historically inaccurate in a video game she's gonna be playing alongside other 15 year olds.

I don't think it's the 13 year old with flawed logic. I think the ones with flawed logic are those that believe BF is supposed to be a historically accurate game in whatever facets THEY specifically want it to be.

The real question is whether or not a small handful of people's "immersion", based solely on historical accuracy, is important enough to change the entire game before its even released or 99% of those people have even played the game.

I don't think it is, and apparently neither does EA or DICE.

The fact is that this is DICE and EA's game and they don't have to bend to the will of people who can't handle the fact that there will be A SINGLE FEATURE in a game that they dislike.

I know it's hard to understand but, believe it or not, people ARE allowed to dislike games and not have said games explicitly changed to fit their wants and desires.

You have things like SWBF2 microtransactions, where DICE willingly admitted they screwed up, even on stage at e3 this year - and then you have simple customization options in BF5 that even EA, the big dogs, have insisted is not going anywhere and is not changing solely because of complaints (again, from people who still haven't even touched the game).
  • NLBartmaN
    1000 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Medics had to be awesome back in WW2 if they could revive people by sticking them with a needle, man.

History!

If you ask me, they can take the whole revive thing out of the game.

But since it is a gameplay feature, to make the game more playable, balanced and challenging, the historical part is less important.
  • Dogwoggle11
    2435 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    NLBartmaN wrote: »

History!

But since it is a gameplay feature, to make the game more playable, balanced and challenging, the historical part is less important.

And customization is just a cosmetic feature that has 0 impact on the gameplay, which is the most important thing in a videogame.

Despite all the crying and overreactions, I haven't seen in all the gameplays so far any type of customization that didn't fit the theme of the game.

But of course, it's so much easier to say "look at dis pirates and cyborg ninjas in me gaem mang".
  • Solid_Kas
    1081 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    NLBartmaN wrote: »

History!

Same goes for customization.

I was against it in Battlefield 1 but if it is for the sake of variety so they can add many and different cosmetics so they can make profit and release more content like maps/weapons etc...the historical part is less important.
This discussion has been closed.