Article from EA's chief creative explaining to either 'accept women are in the game or don't buy it'

Comments

• Loqtrall
    10371 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Loqtrall wrote: »
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »
    AGAS-UY wrote: »
    I'm really starting to hate the 'ITS A GAME ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE REALISTIC' argument, it makes no sense.

Why doesn't it make sense? Tell me why are you ok with people dropping from 2 story buildings without breaking a leg? Using a hellreigel? Having Russian heavy bombers painted in Red Barron colors doing bombing runs on Ballroom Blitz? Having infinite number of parachute drops? Revives with a syringe or paddles that not only bring a person to life but magically erases all wounds? People pulling ammo crates out of thin air to drop everywhere....oh and ammo crates that can stop a tank shell without injury.

Yup...makes no sense at all....

Comparing uncompareable, though. That's your mistake.

They're directly comparable. The hellriegel in BF1 is at the same level of unrealism and historical inaccuracy in BF1 as customization is in BF5. So is the cei rigotti, the black scouts, the female scouts, the non faction locked vehicles and weapons, the entire map of Amiens, etc. The list goes on.

Your response is just another example of people picking and choosing what they think is acceptably inaccurate based on their own personal opinions or train of thought.

It's an objective fact that BF5s customization is by far and away not the first grossly historically inaccurate feature in a BF game based on historical events.

BF1 was filled to the brim with historical inaccuracies and barely anyone batted an eyelash at it. Hell, some media outlets were lambasting DICE for NOT including playable females in BF1.

Bro, again - they are not compareable. You can't compare unrealistic elements of the game, that do add some value to the gameplay and those, that don't.

And ffs, who cares about "historical accuracy"? It's boring af by itself. Authenitcity and immersion - that's what we need. Some amount of historical accuracy for that is welcome. But it's not a top priority.

Lol and what value would have been taken away if the German scout was white? What value would have been taken away if the default SLR was a weapon that was actually used in ww1 and the cei rigotti was replaced with an SLR that was even remotely used by anyone? What value would have been lost if instead of making Amiens, they made the battle at Villers-Bretonneux that ACTUALLY HAPPENED and prevented the Germans from getting to Amiens in the first place?

Again, your logic is flawed, and those things are directly comparable to the level of historical inaccuracy of customization in BF5.

Secondly, we're getting authenticity. Women, those masks, the facepaint, the jackets, etc - they're all authentic to the ww2 time period.

They're just not used in realistic or historically accurate ways, which is what you guys have literally been complaining about this entire time. You guys seem to be insisting historically accurate customization should a top priority.
  • Zviko0
    371 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Solid_Kas wrote: »
    herodes87 wrote: »
    I think its funny that people defending the Game are Like "you want 100% historical accuracy". People want an authentic Game. Not more or less.

They could had still added women as Soviet Snipers. Both Sides would get what they want.

But acting Like EA and Dice marking everyone that is against it as sexist is pretty lame.

just because you didnt see blue war pain on saving private ryan or band of brothers doesnt make it innacurate.

I admit I haven't seen it in any movie but I also haven't read about it in any history book or heard about it from war veterans. Same goes for prosthetic limbs.
  • Tullzter
    520 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    All I know is that we were promised the most "historically immersive" Battlefield. But weirdly enough i don't remember women running around the battlefields of Northern Europe with Hooks for hands and katanas. but maybe i wasn't watching the good documentaries

In any case this game will be fun, we all know that, just don't promise something and deliver something else. is all
  • Solid_Kas
    1081 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    https://imgur.com/gallery/ZR7eP0W

Find me some non authentic stuff in this pic that doesnt match the WW2 era.
  • Loqtrall
    10371 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited June 13
    Zviko0 wrote: »
    I think its funny that people defending the Game are Like "you want 100% historical accuracy". People want an authentic Game. Not more or less.

They could had still added women as Soviet Snipers. Both Sides would get what they want.

But acting Like EA and Dice marking everyone that is against it as sexist is pretty lame.

just because you didnt see blue war pain on saving private ryan or band of brothers doesnt make it innacurate.

I admit I haven't seen it in any movie but I also haven't read about it in any history book or heard about it from war veterans. Same goes for prosthetic limbs.

Well there's the Filthy 13 who wore face paint, and a ww2 pilot who flew with two prosthetic legs, so...
  • MissCommissar
    397 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    @Loqtrall

Dude, my logic is perfect. BF V is not an RPG, it is pure FPS game, without any RPG elements. It means, that such deep level customisation has near-to-zero value there.

And really, high quanitiy of women on the Western front are neither authentic or even real. You may keep pushing it being otherwise, but it won't change much from that.

• Zviko0
    371 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Zviko0 wrote: »

Well there's the Filthy 13 who wore face paint, and a ww2 pilot who flew with two prosthetic legs, so...

Everyone wore face paint..
  • AGAS-UY
    20 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I'm really starting to hate the 'ITS A GAME ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE REALISTIC' argument, it makes no sense.

Why doesn't it make sense? Tell me why are you ok with people dropping from 2 story buildings without breaking a leg? Using a hellreigel? Having Russian heavy bombers painted in Red Barron colors doing bombing runs on Ballroom Blitz? Having infinite number of parachute drops? Revives with a syringe or paddles that not only bring a person to life but magically erases all wounds? People pulling ammo crates out of thin air to drop everywhere....oh and ammo crates that can stop a tank shell without injury.

Like I said, where do you draw the line? I can live with all that for the sake of gameplay, but again, if I follow your logic you'd be okay with spaceships and dinosaurs, after all, it's not realistic and it's just a game.

What's next? Native american soldiers riding bears while sniping? Come on, where do you draw the line here? If the next DLC is anything like Wolfenstein: The New Order what are you guys going to say? After all it's 'just a game' amirite?

Also, why are people against a 'Load default models' toggle? Baffles the mind, people who want a more 'mursive' experience will get it, and those that want a Sims style battlefield experience will get it. WIN - WIN. Period. END.

I believe the argument is "its a game, it doesn't HAVE to be realistic".

And many people can just see that a toggle off for customization would sort of defeat a large portion of the purpose of such a feature in an fps game where 99% of the time you can't even see your own body.

THANK YOU. Glad to see some people can still follow a discussion.

Regarding the toggle, it's customization in itself, that toggle gives me and you the ability to customize the game whatever we want to. It wasn't a big deal with emblems (Had to turn them off when I saw a Zeppelin with Trump's face on it) why is it a big deal now?

But the point of customization was to customize your CHARACTER in the way that you want it. That's it, as simple as that.

There were no guarantees you will be able to make your character look like ANYONE with ANY article of clothing you can think of, and that's been furthered by devs confirming it will be authentic, faction based, and limited severely in color options - and there was absolutely no mention of customizing the game as a whole to be whatever you want...

And it wasn't a big deal with emblems because there's plenty of blatatly offensive and disgusting emblems people make out there. Emblems are entirely user created, customization is not, it's just a set amount of cosmetic items to choose from. You can't deck your soldier out in BF5 so he's wearing a suit made of genitals.

Yeah the whole emblems thing was a bit far fetched, I just used that example to show that the toggle helped me 'customize' my game having NO IMPACT at all to the other guys choices. For me, he can have ALL the customization options that he wants, I honestly don't care, but having the option to turn it off so his choices don't impact my gameplay would put this whole issue to bed.

Like I said, where do you draw the line? I can live with all that for the sake of gameplay, but again, if I follow your logic you'd be okay with spaceships and dinosaurs, after all, it's not realistic and it's just a game.

Actually it doesn't follow the same logic....youre being silly just to argue.

The stuff so far in BFV are accurate for the time.

What you did is, taking your own words, Comparing uncompareable, though. That's your mistake.

Look man, I don't want to argue just for the sake of arguing, I've got a wife. LOL

I can understand the hellriegel, I can understand the syringes, the parachutes, heck I can even undestand the French Ilya Muromets in Soissons, I can understand all those, why? Becuase they are done for GAMEPLAY reasons. What does a woman model and a facepaint add to gameplay? Nothing. They are bringing political correctness in a game that's based in a period that's not supposed to have any of it.

And that's okay, if people want that, it's fine, but at least give us the option to turn it off, does that really, REALLY sound that bad, sexist and selfish?
  • Tullzter

All German issued helmets had the eagle and swastika imprinted on them..doubt we will see that in the game
  • Solid_Kas
    1081 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Tullzter wrote: »

All German issued helmets had the eagle and swastika imprinted on them..doubt we will see that in the game

**** the swastika and **** the **** i prefer playing as a woman rather than having this trash as an emblem on my soldier
  • Tullzter

**** the swastika and **** the **** i prefer playing as a woman rather than having this trash as an emblem on my soldier

i don't blame you, but i'm answering the fellow above who is talking about historical accuracy. I don't mind seeing a swastika in the game just as i didn't mind seeing them in Wolfenstein because ultimately it's a game
  • MissCommissar
    397 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

Well, at least now you can feel, what people feel about massive inclusion of women in WWII game.

At very least, swasticas would add authenticity to the game, not steal it, as massive inclusion of women do.
  • Solid_Kas

i don't blame you, but i'm answering the fellow above who is talking about historical accuracy. I don't mind seeing a swastika in the game just as i didn't mind seeing them in Wolfenstein because ultimately it's a game

And i dont mind seeing women,prosthetics and other stuff because like you said its just a game and many people need to fit this in their thick skulls.
  • Tullzter

And i dont mind seeing women,prosthetics and other stuff because like you said its just a game and many people need to fit this in their thick skulls.

glad to know, it's a debate so i'm guessing all opinions are welcome! i want a bit of authenticity in my game but if i don't get it, it's not the end of the world

Inclusion of women is alright but offers a distorted view of WW2 which was mainly fought by men..out of the 400 000 American women served in WW2 but only 16 died of Enemy fire, should give you an idea of how the population of infantry was made up. but again, this game looks good, still a few glitches to sort out but overall looks fun
  • Dogwoggle11
    2435 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    @Loqtrall

Dude, my logic is perfect. BF V is not an RPG, it is pure FPS game, without any RPG elements. It means, that such deep level customisation has near-to-zero value there.

That settles the whole debate, guys. Three weeks of arguing instantly put to rest.

Her logic is perfect. Period. I don't know what are we doing here.
  • Loqtrall
    edited June 13
    Loqtrall

And really, high quanitiy of women on the Western front are neither authentic or even real. You may keep pushing it being otherwise, but it won't change much from that.

No, your logic is flawed. You're saying that someone playing as a woman in ww2 is not comparable to someone playing as a black man on the German side in ww1. That's outright false, objectively.

And customization has the value you put in it. It's worth whatever you feel it's worth. If customization meant nothing in fps games, Valve wouldn't be making millions of dollars on it in games like TF2 and CSGO, and Overwatch's entire microtransactions system would exist for absolutely no reason.

I'm sure those studios would look at the money they make off of cosmetic customization and strongly disagree with the claim you just made.

And women are authentic to ww2. They served, some of them fought. They're represented in unrealistic ways in BF5, but so is literally everything else.
  • MissCommissar
    @Loqtrall

I guess, people may actually choose, do they want to play as black or white sniper as a german in BF 1, right? Don't be ridiculous.

Thing is, that Valve and Blizzard and all others, they do customistaion right in their games, so, even if it adds totaly zero value to the game, it doesn't damage it in any shape of form too, when if customisation is done wrong, like in BF V, it stilll adds zero value to the game, but damages the game at the same time. Do you like to have your game damaged for no reason?

And women are not authentic to the Western front of WWII. Eastern front, soviet women in army and partisans - fine. On Western front, UK Spec Ops, Wehrmacht - it's same bs as adding stormtroopers from Star Wars in the game. Why do you try to make yourself think otherwise - beyond my understanding.
  • Jonny_ChaosMCR
    819 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Can't wait for customisation myself. What's the chances of gettin black and white dazzle camo skins for guns? No word of a lie that would make my day, I reckon they'll chill out on the gun skins though and keep them classy like in BF1.
  • Tullzter

What's wrong with the swastika and the eagle? Why can't you see them? Do they offend you? Dude, it happened, it's history, you can ignore it all you want but I suggest you try and LEARN from it, dont sweep it under the rug.

If you are going to be offended for every symbol responsible for the deaths of millions, then you should start by taking down the american flag in your front yard, or the british flag, or the belgian flag, or that religious cross in your living room, and so on and so on.

Hear Hear, truer words were never spoken
This discussion has been closed.