Comprehensive Thoughts/Feedback after playing BFV 10 times at EA Play 2018

GrowlmonDrgnbutt
238 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
edited June 14
This thread will not include glitches as this is a pre-alpha build and the few glitches I did experience were relayed in person to developers.

Overall: I am incredibly impressed at the scale of the project, the immersion (yes, the immersion is good when you are actually playing it even the times I realized I was playing a female character, which isn't even noticeable at first or in the action), the game modes, the weapons and gunplay, smoothness of mobility, the end of rambo-revives, and especially the vehicles. One of my favorite things unique to Battlefield V that wasn't really present in the previous Battlefields for a good while is that you truly can recognize the uniqueness between the teams, especially with vehicles. It doesn't just feel like team 1 vs team 2.

Vehicles:

The Tiger I is this massive beast that is an absolute pain to move around in, you can almost feel like the transmission is trying to break itself. The sluggish mobility and huge size make it cumbersome and a little frustrating to drive, 100% accurate to what the Tiger was irl. The short 8,8cm stocked with 18 HE shells and 6 AP shells is incredibly deadly. Gone are the days of hitting the ground near an enemy and doing 40 damage. The machine gun on the Tiger also controllable by the driver is also extremely deadly, but overheats super fast. While this also had limited ammo, it was somewhere around 500 shots, so this should effectively be your main cannon against lone infantry in non-dire situations. But speaking of dire situations, I had a habit of forgetting to switch to AP shells and messing with churchills with HE. It feels as though angling your tank 60-30 is as effective as it should be (angling makes your armor more effective), which always seemed to give me an edge. HE shells to the front of the churchill seemed to do around 19 damage on average which still does the job, but you want to remember your AP shells.

The Churchill Gun Carrier is this massive bus of a "tank" that at least feels more responsive than the Tiger when you try to turn and move with it, but it too is slow as it should be. The difference here is the gun is hull-locked. An issue here is saying the Churchill GC uses a 3-pdr gun (equivalent to 47mm), which is completely inaccurate. Its original armament was the 3 inch 20 CWT (equivalent to 76mm, compare to Tiger I's 8,8cm). It seems to be the exact same stat-wise to the Tiger I's 8,8cm which is totally inaccurate as not only is the 3 inch gun smaller, but it's also a WWI era weapon. Giving it the QF 3.7 inch AA gun (~94mm) would make more sense (before anyone jumps on me for it being an AA gun, the 3 inch 20 CWT is also an AA gun) for its current gun stats, if not bumping up the damage ever so slightly because of the lack of gun traverse.

An issue I find is the regular Churchill tank performs exactly like the Churchill GC with similar if not identical gun stats. I even switched to AP shells to take on a Tiger (who was admittedly not the best player in the world). 3 AP shells perpendicularly into the side of a Tiger I will kill it dead. My question here is why does the Churchill tank feel like the rival to the Tiger I within the game despite never having over a 6 pdr (57mm gun) when the Churchill GC with a 3 in (76mm) WWI gun is having seemingly the same stats? These 3 guns all feel the same, when they really should not be.

I didn't have much experience with the Valentine as I simply stole it at low health while on the German side. I backed up to an ammo crate with it and used its 2-pdr gun to constantly shell incoming soldiers. Its alternate gun also seems to be a canister shell if I remember right, I switched to it and my reticule turned to a circle, though I never fired that. It also seems the max ammo is once again 18 HE, 6 canister shells, as well as a strong machine gun. I do not know if it has the same stats as the other main tank cannons despite being smaller than all of them, but having 18 main shells once again is concerning to me that they might all be the same. One thing I did notice with the Valentine is that it is a breath of fresh air to drive and maneuver compared to the 3 bigger tanks I just discussed.

I did not get a chance to play the other tanks or even the Strumtiger.

I did not get much of a chance with aircraft though I did notice there was no longer a bomber camera, you will definitely have to get used to dive bombing and feeling out where your bombs will hit. Yes, the siren is very satisfying to hear while piloting. The big issue is locating where to get ammo and repairs as the station circle thing to fly through is white on a snowy white background and is not on the minimap. I never found the one for the Germans, only the British. I played on both sides in aircraft at least and did spend a lot of time looking for that to get my bigger bombs back instead of fighting unfortunately. I did at least relay this directly to a dev.

One omission I would like to ask about is the StuG/Sturmgeschütz series of Tank Destroyers (the same type of hull-locked gun on tracks the Churchill GC is, but these are much more stealthy). Those played a very important role in the war and I would definitely like to see them in the game.

Weapons:

Forgive me as my memory of the names of weapons are nonexistant, but there was only one gun per gun type anyway iirc.

The SMG (Assault class) is looking to once again be overpowered, being incredibly effective at close range in both ADS and hipfire (thankfully not so good at hipfire that you can hipfire across the map like in BF1), but ADSing you can still easily kill most anyone at medium and sometimes even long range by tapfiring. It also has this really big and easy sight to use that sacrifices practically no view. A very easy and effective weapon. At least this time it didn't come with 80+ rounds. I will admit I still used this weapon the most, and it is very satisfying to use.

The assault rifle (also on Assault) sacrifices hipfire for a bit more effectiveness at medium range, so it's a bit more cumbersome to use. There's not much to say about it and I didn't use it much.

The LMG (on Support) also feels pretty close to an assault rifle, just harder to control. Tapfiring at medium range still gets the job done and it does good damage. Hipfiring, you might hit the broad side of a barn once or twice.

The MMG (on Support) is the only specialized archetype we've gotten our hands on, and I can say it is VERY special. You cannot ADS with this, if you try your camera will just zoom in a bit. You won't hit the broad side of 20 barns with this thing so you better be a good shot with your pistol if you use this. Once bipoded, this thing is quite a good shot but you're just asking to be sniped. It's not an effective weapon to go into battle with unless you know exactly what you're doing and that the situation will call for you being holed up. I couldn't really gauge just how much damage this does each shot unfortunately, it's just begging to get sniped.

The sniper (on Scout) is accurate and effective. What's to expect, it's a sniper. However, thank DICE for removing all OHKs to the body, introducing that in the first place was one of the worst, most upsetting decisions I've seen in this franchise and removing that is a great sign. In addition, it appears body shots only do a maximum of 60 damage. I'm not sure if that is enough of a tradeoff considering the war of attrition issue for getting health back and the lack of 3D spotting to be able to spot the sniper, but it is a step in the right direction. Headshots still OHK as they should. Scope glare still exists, thankfully as well. Collaterals are still a thing, I did get one of those while using the sniper. Note the headshot multiplier is 1.9x so a 53.5 damage shot will still kill to the head.

The semi-auto rifle (on medic) seems to be the most similar to what we have on Battlefield 1. Effective 3-hit kills around 38 damage a shot, but thankfully this time they are pinpoint accurate. No more ADSing at someone's head at long range and the shot going wide for no reason. Also satisfying to use. Don't bother hipfiring.

The pistol is meh. Not much to say about it.

The grenade is okay, you can't throw it as far. It's too hard to gauge the effectiveness of it.

The incendiary grenade is satisfying to use, especially when you didn't realize you were using an incendiary grenade and thought it was a regular one.

Melee is ridiculously ineffective and in need of a major buff. Only doing 27 damage per swing, slow to swing, and with half the range of knives in BF1 it makes it nearly impossible to even get an animation from the rear let alone to be able to finish off someone from the front. Melee was done right in BF1 with the variety and effectiveness of the weapons and I'd hope to see it brought back in that state to BFV.

Gadgets:

Scout: Binoculars and Flare Gun or Spawn Beacon. Binoculars are the only way to 3D spot, and even then it seems hit or miss to be able to. In addition, the spot goes away instantly once you lose sight of the player you have spotted. The flare gun is as expected in Battlefield 1, except you start with only 1 flare (with a max of 2 carried) and only can have 2 effective at the same time. What's different is these have been hit by a nerf bat quite nicely. It seems to last a much shorter time AND it is not immediately active. It takes around 2 seconds to start showing enemies on the minimap in its radius. Yes, it still sets people on fire.

Medic: Revive Syringe and Med pouch (spelled "puch" on the intro video at EA Play) or Med box. The Syringe took a giant, very necessary hit by the nerf bat. It's been over a decade coming, revives are no longer instant. Similar to the buddy revive, you will still have to stand over their body and go into an animation where you can easily be killed. Fair warning, in the 10 times I've played BF1 at EA Play, I've been revived a grand total of 1 times and have revived people maybe 8 times (between buddy and medic). The animation for a medic revive still takes a couple seconds, while the buddy revive takes eternity and a day. Reviving has finally been made into a major thing rather than just expecting to instantly be in the fight again after dying at a corridor on Locker/Metro. I couldn't figure out how to drag someone out of the line of fire, however. Gaining health has also become a bigger thing, as the larger medical box has to be interacted with by your thick-headed teammates. Good luck with that if you're going solo without friends, as no longer can you passively heal a massive group of people in the magical radius of your box. But this box seems to have unlimited medical pouches inside for people to take. Meanwhile if you carry only the medical pouch, you get 3. Sure, if you throw it at a teammate it forces them to get more health, but with only 3 you are limited. Better have a support or a built up ammo supply near you. I'm not sure if you get those 3 pouches back overtime, I think you might as the box does automatically resupply too, but it takes a noticeably long time. Attrition is definitely at play, and I love it. Spamming has definitely ended unless you have a dedicated support.

Assault: Panzerfaust and Sticky Dynamite. Sticky. Dynamite. Sticky. We're back to being able to have suicide-jeeps and whatever else, as well as sticking the dynamite to the rear of a Churchill Crocodile and watching it explode (oh that was VERY satisfying). I'm not sure if I'm excited or dreading the return of that, I guess it is a staple in the battlefield series. Plus seeing some car with dynamite shoved onto it driving into a building on this insane level of destruction will have to be satisfying. On the other hand, you get 3 dynamite to start with and a maximum of 4, and it appears that 4 dyanmite is NOT enough to kill a full health tank, but is enough to disable it. I've tested that on the side of a Churchill and Churchill GC, not sure about the lighter tanks or if I managed to stick all 4 directly on the rear. I have to say my best experience with dynamite was on the first objective day 2, enemy Churchill GC was getting cheeky and came onto the bridge to try to take the objective. I was in a position where if I got up, it'd see me over the sandbags, so I was screwed either way. 4 dynamite down (btw it's always smart to pick up extra ammo if you spawn near a big ammo supply) considering it was going to drive over where I was. I back up a bit so I won't get run over immediately when it will driver through the sandbags. It does so, over the 4 dynamite, I blow it, and of course I died. It did take down the Churchill GC and some infantry with it, super satisfying! The best part is this is that one time I actually got revived. Only In Battlefield Moments still do happen! Especially now with the level of detail in the game, seeing the churchill GC's tracks coming through knocking down the sandbags. As for the Panzerfaust, you get an acceptable amount of ammo. It does okay damage to tanks but the travel time takes forever and the drop is heavy, you're not hitting tanks at range with this if they see it coming. In addition, if you hit a tank at a bad angle it will ricochette. Hit a Churchill or Tiger in the front and you're doing like 14 damage. You have to aim well and pick your moments, you can't just shoot randomly and pray. I am VERY thankful for this, more skill elements being added. Remember, tanks cannot self-repair to full health and self-repair takes forever anyway. Eventually you will kill it through sheer determination anyway.

Support: AT Mine and ammo pouch or ammo pack. You get two AT mines, they work as AT mines. Wow, shocker. They're pretty obvious to see in snow but people drove over them anyway, they do good damage. I do wish AT mines were not in the game though, as they only slow down gameplay. Ammo packs are as expected but similar to medpacks, people have to go up to them and interact with them. But for ammo, people have to repeatedly interact with them to continue to gain more and more ammo until they hit their cap. On the flip side, you can get 3 ammo pouches to instantly give people ammo, but you then have to wait an astronomical amount of time to get more pouches. It won't be as easy to farm points by magically giving everyone in a big radius ammo constantly, but I do like how this is going.

Support, specialized gunner archetype: Flare gun and ammo pouch or ammo pack. Yep, that's the spotting flare gun same as on Scout. Except this is support. And you have an ammo pack to sit on and repeatedly gain more flares. And spam spots. Forever. Not the smartest game design, I got a lot of points sitting under the bridge in the first objective on day 2 and spamming flares for nonstop spots above ground. I'm not sure if it was intentional to be able to spam spot flares like this, I guess maybe because this archetype doesn't have an effective gun while moving similar to Scout, but being able to spam minimap spots like this is an odd one. I would hope the gamechangers that got to enjoy the AC and not being sunburned inside the Palladium got to use this a ton to see if it's too effective or if it's acceptable.

Other things:

Buddy Revive: Great implementation currently apart from needing to know how to drag bodies. Takes forever so the fight definitely has to be ended. The only thing I'd add to this is being able to press B/circle to cancel the revive (still with an animation to cause a slight delay and to show enemies that are coming that the guy has cancelled out of the animation).

Foritifications: I am a little disappointed in how restricted foritifications are, but that was mostly because I let my mind run wild with it. I can certainly understand why you wouldn't want people to put infinite sandbags and tank blockers on every single part of the map. However, I do wish we would have a bit more freedom with where to place guns and other emplacements. Speaking of which, I couldn't figure out how to do anything extra with Support in terms of fortifications, it all seemed equal, maybe a bit faster with support, but nothing special.

Immersion: The immersion is definitely there with the guns, map, graphics, and ESPECIALLY sounds. Once you are in the chaos of combat, things get quite nice to see and hear. For those concerned about customizations getting in the way, all I have to say is simply don't pick a female. Yeah you'll see one every now and then, but it doesn't matter as much. As for the shirts and whatnot, it lets everyone have a good bit of personality to their player. If you don't like it just kill them harder.

Lack of 3D Spotting: It's terribly annoying to deal with snipers now, but at least scope glare is still there. It's also odd to deal with aircraft, up until everyone will learn how to identify each aircraft to their faction. There have been a lot of teammates shooting at each other, even I chased a friendly plane for a while until I figured out why I wasn't doing damage. But for the most part, perhaps it is a good thing this is almost gone.

Grenades damaging tanks: NO. Absolutely not. Do not do this. Please, it's absolutely ridiculous.

There are probably other things I have forgotten, but this post is already absolutely massive and I have gotten tired and want to play some Battlefield 1 right now. So in closing, EA please for the love of god give out sunscreen in addition to the water next time, I have a hell of a sunburn.

Any questions, feel free to ask and I'll answer if I can. I hope to be a part of the Closed Alpha again!
Post edited by GrowlmonDrgnbutt on

Comments

• DonSharkito
    770 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Thanks for your feedback, that was a pretty interesting read!

Interesting to see that medics will only have now 3 limited pouches. I can totally see them keeping them for themselves instead of healing others ;) .

It would be interesting to see if the behaviour you experienced regarding revives (or more lack of revives...) will be transposed in the final game. Given how the average playerbase behaves in this game, I can totally expect being never revived or a lot less than in BF1 for example (unless you play in a partied up squad).

Can you elaborate on how easy/difficult it was to determine if you were facing a friendly or a foe, and which class they were playing? From what you wrote, other players' feedback and videos I seen, it seems a bit hard right now to distinguish quickly factions and classes. Hope that they work on that and make them more distinguishable.
  • DonSharkito
    Also regarding airplane gameplay, how hard was it to spot targets on the ground?

With the lack of spotting in this game, I can feel that it will be a lot harder to get infantry kills that in BF1 for example.
  • MigueTK
    674 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited June 14
    Edited to remove quote

There was sunscreen in the fanny packs for the origin access booth by the entrance, there was ice cold water in the black bins, they looked like trash bins but they had people grabbing water from them so I could see how you could have missed them lol.
  • GrowlmonDrgnbutt
    238 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Thanks for your feedback, that was a pretty interesting read!

Interesting to see that medics will only have now 3 limited pouches. I can totally see them keeping them for themselves instead of healing others ;) .

It would be interesting to see if the behaviour you experienced regarding revives (or more lack of revives...) will be transposed in the final game. Given how the average playerbase behaves in this game, I can totally expect being never revived or a lot less than in BF1 for example (unless you play in a partied up squad).

Can you elaborate on how easy/difficult it was to determine if you were facing a friendly or a foe, and which class they were playing? From what you wrote, other players' feedback and videos I seen, it seems a bit hard right now to distinguish quickly factions and classes. Hope that they work on that and make them more distinguishable.

The thing is the people at EA play for the most part would probably be a decent level below of the general BF community (hard to believe, I know). Not only that, but these are PCs which means the people that pick up controllers (most people) won't have aim assist and won't know to go into the settings to change their sensitivity and turning the sprint button from hold to toggle. A lot of the people themselves who I've talked to mostly play Call of Duty or are LA locals that realized "ohey free vent I'll go." You could kinda tell how the match was going to go when they brought all 64 players into a single room if you looked over them. The louder the room reacted to a paratrooper getting sniped out of the air, the dumber the players were in-game.

Either way I do think there will be less reviving going on during chaotic moments in BFV compared to past BF titles, but more revives if someone just got inadvertently killed behind cover already. Just my prediction.

For facing a friendly vs foe as infantry, it was hardest at medium range. The blue dots over teammates heads were more transparent at medium range, which on a snowy background makes it nearly impossible to see. At range it's more noticeable. For vehicles it's easy to tell what team a tank is on if you can recognize various types of tanks and their factions like myself, but when I stole the enemy valentine I found the enemies not really noticing me as much. To be fair I was sitting far back with it to defend as I was at low health, but it's interesting. Teammates did not try to attack me though. In aircraft it's impossible though, too hard to see if there's a blue symbol above it in the sky and I can't tell the planes apart. I've even seen a lot of people on the same team dogfighting each other of course doing no damage. I think eventually people will get used to it though.

It was completely impossible to distinguish classes. Even scouts, considering you cannot pick up kits anymore, only weapons (I was an assault with a sniper for a while since I inadvertently picked one up, but still had my dynamite and panzerfaust).

Also regarding airplane gameplay, how hard was it to spot targets on the ground?

With the lack of spotting in this game, I can feel that it will be a lot harder to get infantry kills that in BF1 for example.

It wasn't necessary as the snow contrasts the darker bodies and clothing well. This will have to be better tested on other maps. It was definitely impossible to see inside of buildings so I got in the habit of shooting at corners to see if I got hitmarkers (which I got a few kills doing).

MigueTK wrote: »
    Edited to remove quote

There was sunscreen in the fanny packs for the origin access booth by the entrance, there was ice cold water in the black bins, they looked like trash bins but they had people grabbing water from them so I could see how you could have missed them lol.

I did not see any sunscreen but I did get the water out of the garbage-looking bins. I never actually went up to the origin access booth since I have no interest in that stuff. Weird that they'd have sunscreen but say nothing about it. At least they did start passing out water in the lines only after a guy blacked out from dehydration in the BFV line. Sucks that that has to happen before they realize they needed to pass out water and make it more known.
  • MigueTK
    674 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Oh yeah I didn't care about the Origin booth either, my friend did though and that's how we got sunscreen. It was stupid that they didn't let us bring in our bag with water in it so we chugged a whole bottle each before we made it past the metal detectors. I am gonna finish up a post for tomorrow detailing my experience and would love to hear your feedback. You could tell the way the match was gonna go by the amount of people that picked up controllers and were right about the meme tier audience levels. I did not get revived once by randoms and hardly saw ammo crates.
  • BURGERKRIEG
    435 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Interesting report, detailed. Thanks for that.

I liked what you reported back about the shooting mechanics and weapons.

The grenades not traveling as far, that’s good making them less like grenade launcher. Cool.

Also I like the sound of a nerfed melee. I take it it only triggers the kill animation at extremely close range now?
  • von_Campenstein
    5614 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

As it should be, airplanes typically strafe the ground not aim for individual soldiers, more area of effect.
  • ProLegion_exor
    3266 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    SLR´s sounds amazing to use, but the changes to pouches and revives are a nightmare. Another game with Assaults spray n pray everything meta.. We just trade hip fire accuracy for increased range :trollface:
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    3738 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I still not sure what makes Dice think that adding some restrictions to regular bf gameplay will encourage teamplay and squad interactions? Because it's a well-known thing that every single player on server has his own agenda and idea how to play. Adding limitations won't change that and won't turn your regular blueberry into mlg pro. And in the end only decent players will be hurt by those changes while potatos will stay potato. And don't even say "they will adapt" because they won't. All I see now is "camp resupply station" meta everywhere and after a while Dice will nerf/remove those to promote teamplay but people will still find a way to aviod that. And also the big increase of selfishness among the players so in the end you'll get less medpack, less ammo and less revives because people will save those for themselves or just won't bother. Wait for open beta to see how these predictions come to life.
  • DonSharkito
    I still not sure what makes Dice think that adding some restrictions to regular bf gameplay will encourage teamplay and squad interactions? Because it's a well-known thing that every single player on server has his own agenda and idea how to play. Adding limitations won't change that and won't turn your regular blueberry into mlg pro. And in the end only decent players will be hurt by those changes while potatos will stay potato. And don't even say "they will adapt" because they won't. All I see now is "camp resupply station" meta everywhere and after a while Dice will nerf/remove those to promote teamplay but people will still find a way to aviod that. And also the big increase of selfishness among the players so in the end you'll get less medpack, less ammo and less revives because people will save those for themselves or just won't bother. Wait for open beta to see how these predictions come to life.

I have the same feeling. But at the end of the day, if you are a decent player you will do OK. It will be a bit harder (but more so for the average player) than in BF1 in the beginning, until you adapt.

They way I see it, at least for me, it will play the same as BF1, but you'll have to adapt to the limited health regen and ammo. If you are good at killing, you won't have problems with ammo as you will be able to pick it up on enemies. From seeing various videos and feedbacks, supply stations are in abundance in this game. Many people said that it is an indirect "nerf" to supports and medics, as you can find ammo and health quite regularly and easily on the field. So I mean if transpose my playstyle to BFV, I don't think I will have any struggles. If you are moving around objectives (attacking/defending) there will always be opportunity to get ammo/health.

I don't think they will nerf supply stations that heavily given the fact that >90% of the players or even more usually play solo.

I also think that playing with an organised partied up squad or with your clan will be a lot more lethal than in BF1.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    3738 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

They way I see it, at least for me, it will play the same as BF1, but you'll have to adapt to the limited health regen and ammo. If you are good at killing, you won't have problems with ammo as you will be able to pick it up on enemies. From seeing various videos and feedbacks, supply stations are in abundance in this game. Many people said that it is an indirect "nerf" to supports and medics, as you can find ammo and health quite regularly and easily on the field. So I mean if transpose my playstyle to BFV, I don't think I will have any struggles. If you are moving around objectives (attacking/defending) there will always be opportunity to get ammo/health.

Yes but not really. Let's imagine a situation when you had a fight with 2 enemies near the flag and have only 40 hp left and there is no medic nearby. But more enemies are coming and that fact puts you in a big disadvantage because you have less than half of your hp and minimum amount of ammo (because for some reason you can't even get one full magazine from pouches dropped by dead players). In this kind of situation previously you could just hide and wait until you have full hp before trying to engage those enemies but in bfv you have to retreat and let them capture the objective because there is no way you are able to defeat all of those.

These additions aren't nerf to a certain class but to the game as whole because you can't rely on random people and even if you play in a squad full of friends they can't always support you and in general you still have to deal with potatos in your team.

These additions look even more weird considering the fact that last 3 bf games were casual enough to attract many random people to the game and also bf veterans got used to easy and accessable mechanics of the series. Making things more challenging won't make it enjoyable for many people. I fail to realise why Dice wants to attract even wider audience while also increasing skill seiling?
  • DonSharkito

Yes but not really. Let's imagine a situation when you had a fight with 2 enemies near the flag and have only 40 hp left and there is no medic nearby. But more enemies are coming and that fact puts you in a big disadvantage because you have less than half of your hp and minimum amount of ammo (because for some reason you can't even get one full magazine from pouches dropped by dead players). In this kind of situation previously you could just hide and wait until you have full hp before trying to engage those enemies but in bfv you have to retreat and let them capture the objective because there is no way you are able to defeat all of those.

These additions aren't nerf to a certain class but to the game as whole because you can't rely on random people and even if you play in a squad full of friends they can't always support you and in general you still have to deal with potatos in your team.

These additions look even more weird considering the fact that last 3 bf games were casual enough to attract many random people to the game and also bf veterans got used to easy and accessable mechanics of the series. Making things more challenging won't make it enjoyable for many people. I fail to realise why Dice wants to attract even wider audience while also increasing skill seiling?

I don't know. I think this game will be a tad more challenging, that's all. It is still an aracedey FPS. No revolution here.

On your situation, I think it is not unimaginable that with the lightning fast TTK, a good player can still have the edge with proper positioning etc. in a fight even on low health. On top of that you can still pick up someone's weapon/kit if really needed. The only thing I hope was overlooked in the pre-alpha is the kit switching thing. I hope it will be the same as in the other BFs in the end.

• Hawxxeye
    1868 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Is that bias against snipers that I detect in the OP?
  • ProLegion_exor
    3266 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I also think that playing with an organised partied up squad or with your clan will be a lot more lethal than in BF1.
    Haha, like it was not lethal enough :trollface: Lonewolfers will quit half way thru the round screwing up the balance even more then in BF1.
  • herodes87
    803 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Exactly! The last 4 BF Games (if you include Hardline) were more casual lone wolf stuff. Which attracted of course some CoD players. They wanted to get a bigger Fanbase.

Keep in mind that BF1942 is 16 years old and was PC only. Today console players are the majority. Which is of course more casual. Then keep in mind that most players played BF1942 just with Bots because internet and WiFi was not ready like today. So for most players the Online Experience with BF started with BBC2. Then it got bigger and bigger with BF3 and 4. A not small percentage of BF like BF because how it is right now. If they want no 3D spotting or no auto heal they could easily play other Games like Red Orchestra or Insurgency. Sure they are One shot kill but they require more Teamplay and so on. You can already see that Teamplay gets less and less with every BF Game. Turning the wheel now 180 degree around is something that not all people will like. Dice is still thinking people will except it and still playing BFV. But i have big doubts about it. Lots of BF4 players didn't like Hardline or BF1 and moved back. Same will happen here.

Even Dice doesn't know what BFV really wants to be. They move back with the Gameplay to BF1942 for the Vets but at the same time add customisation and other stuff in that Game that is just copy paste from CoD and Fortnite. Then they come up in a WW2 Game with no D-Day and no Stalingrad at launch. People don't like that either. My long BF friends that left the series after BF1 are ALL not liking the Game. For them it looks kind of boring.

For me personal if i look at the gunplay (not gameplay) it looks exactly like BF4 just without random spread. So tapfiring everything is the key to easily get kills. I thought we get more skill and it will be more challenging? I doubt it with that laserbeam STG44 and SLRs that i have seen in gameplay videos. BF3 had the best and challenging Gunplay of all BFs. Sniping will be exactly like BF4 while every other class becomes more deadly. I want a WW2 Experience with Bolt Action Rifles and not a WW2 Game with ARs dominating everything again. Just to be clear if it would be a Vietnam Game i would not care so much for Bolt Action Rifles.

We will see how this hybrid BF Game will end. I believe EA will make lots of money with customisations. And what it is now in the Series will not go back. At least the stuff that makes more money.
  • ProAssassin2003
    1819 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The community will not use 95% of the changes that are here. There will be Mass Crying and DICE will fold and everything will be back to how it use to me. Just wait and see.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    The community will not use 95% of the changes that are here. There will be Mass Crying and DICE will fold and everything will be back to how it use to me. Just wait and see.

On release probably not. In a long run it's a huge possibility.
  • trip1ex
    3503 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

I don't know. I don't see anything wrong with your example. Everyone is in the same boat. And it will work for you as much as against you. Enemies you wound won't be able to completely heal as easily as before either.
  • MigueTK

I was thinking the same thing, they are trying to artificially create squad play by design when it should happen organically. I did not have an effective team during my play test, squad was fine because I was with my friends. I did not get revived once by my teammates and hardly saw supply crates GG DICE
  • GrowlmonDrgnbutt
    MigueTK wrote: »
    Oh yeah I didn't care about the Origin booth either, my friend did though and that's how we got sunscreen. It was stupid that they didn't let us bring in our bag with water in it so we chugged a whole bottle each before we made it past the metal detectors. I am gonna finish up a post for tomorrow detailing my experience and would love to hear your feedback. You could tell the way the match was gonna go by the amount of people that picked up controllers and were right about the meme tier audience levels. I did not get revived once by randoms and hardly saw ammo crates.

To be fair you have to dump out any liquids before you go in sporting events, airport security, and most other things as it's too difficult to detect the difference between water and acid, at least until the person rushes onstage and pours it at someone. That's why liquids aren't allowed as far as I'm aware. Also feel free to message me your thread when you've made it.

Interesting report, detailed. Thanks for that.

I liked what you reported back about the shooting mechanics and weapons.

The grenades not traveling as far, that’s good making them less like grenade launcher. Cool.

Also I like the sound of a nerfed melee. I take it it only triggers the kill animation at extremely close range now?

Nerfed melee is terrible. It only triggers the kill animation if you are basically on top of someone's body and it's extremely finicky to do on anyone that is moving. There's also no more getting that sweet animation for finishing people off with a smack to the face if they're below 40 health. Close range melee fights that were awesome in BF1 are seemingly going to stay in BF1.

If the squad leader wants to play with a Strumtiger or V1 rocket or such he'll certainly be going for those squad points. Other than that, idiots will be idiots. What's good about this is it will reduce how many one-man roamers running around the map as they're eventually going to lose too much health without getting it back. It also makes it easier to kill off a squad that got behind your lines as they can't just instant-revive anymore. If they manage to kill off everyone in their area then they can slowly squad revive their squad and be stuck in the same place for a while. If not, no revives for them plus being under fire means no squad spawns. These 'restrictions' aren't only about teamplay, they're about keeping some sort of order on the battlefield, and making big flanking maneuvers and whatnot harder but much more satisfying to pull off.

There already is mass crying. There is always mass crying. Welcome to video game communities as a whole. People will find anything to whine about.