No actual pickup animations still magic heals and ammo pickup

Assyriansniper1
47 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
When I first heard the devs talking about this game being all about interaction and no more magic health or ammo pickups I got really excited. This is mainly because I realized it would change the dynamics of the game and slow it down to a less arcade style gameplay. It means you really have to do things more carefully and think them through. Having just watched some multiplayer footage, I just realized that it was a very misleading thing to say by the devs. Regen health and ammo is still in fact very magic and the only interaction you are actually doing is seeing a 1 sec animation pop up in your hand. You just walk by the player and it displays that animation. You dont even need to stop. Ammo magically pops up into your hands. You are never really kneeling down to pickup anything. This is some very lazy work. However, I do see that it is there when you revive someone. It might be too late at this point, but I would have the player get down and pickup ammo at least. This thread isnt about just finding something to complain about. This was one of the main points at the reveal and it kind of feels like they got too afraid to fully implement it.

Comments

• Rev0verDrive
    6628 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited June 2018
    I'd love to see something like PubG item pick up animations.

Place crosshairs on item -> press enter to pick up -> animation picking up said item -> item added to inventory.

If this process is too dodgy then an inventory screen can be used as an alternative. Yet Animations still play in 1st and 3rd person.
    Keybind -> drag and drop (left to right) -> Keybind to exit screen.
  • Gforce81
    3666 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think you're gonna have pretty significant pushback from those who enjoy a faster pace with this

Some have already complained on here that the animations as they stand at the moment, are too slowing for gameplay. I'm in the middle, I think the animations they have added are better than the sorcery from BF1, but I'm not so on board with making them even slower.
  • Rev0verDrive
    6628 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Gforce81 wrote: »
    I think you're gonna have pretty significant pushback from those who enjoy a faster pace with this

Some have already complained on here that the animations as they stand at the moment, are too slowing for gameplay. I'm in the middle, I think the animations they have added are better than the sorcery from BF1, but I'm not so on board with making them even slower.

The animations from PubG aren't slow.

• Assyriansniper1
    47 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Well they can make them faster if they want. But the sorcery as it stands is that they dont exist.
  • Gforce81

I mean, no, those aren't slow

I just don't see much difference between what we've been shown for BFV and those. You can see more movement in the PUBG vid, see the character's feet and stuff, but they're pretty much the same thing to me
  • crabman169
    12763 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Well to get from an ammo box or health box you have to physically reach down and grab it (approach it and press x button on the actual box) to grab ammo/health.

I think you have to press a button too on dead enemies to scavenge; it's not entirely clear as im pretty sure I've seen people just spamming that button whilst running over bodies.

Dice hasn't lied, they aren't lazy. That's just how they are mixing up this mechanic that is over 16 years old and classes physically dropping a health/ammo box being 13 years old.

People have been having issues with friendlies not dropping health/ammo with the previous mechanic and you think making it more physical would be welcomed? BF is an arcade shooter; it doesn't need to be full blown VR simulator experiance of trying to grab some health/ammo
  • Rev0verDrive

I just don't see much difference between what we've been shown for BFV and those. You can see more movement in the PUBG vid, see the character's feet and stuff, but they're pretty much the same thing to me

Everything I've seen has actually been semi-passive. Hit a button to interact and the action is carried out instantly .. no 1st or 3rd person animations of your character reaching out and picking up said ammo/health.
  • Gforce81

Everything I've seen has actually been semi-passive. Hit a button to interact and the action is carried out instantly .. no 1st or 3rd person animations of your character reaching out and picking up said ammo/health.

Sure, you're not wrong. It is still pretty fast

I'm just not convinced we gain anything meaningful by fleshing out the animation even further. I mean, I wouldn't hate it, I just don't think I'll end up noticing it much.
  • warslag
    1183 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Aren't these FPS games just a test of hand and eye co-ordination? If so, then isn't waiting for an animation to complete whilst you hold down a key to revive someone just a waste of time? Picking up ammo, in the way I've seen DrDisRespect do in his PUBG videos, looks like a waste of time to me. I don't understand what you get from making it take longer to revive or to get ammo?

I have played quite a bit of ARMA 3 and dragging or carrying downed players or being dragged or carried becomes really annoying when you have played the game a lot. In ARMA 3 they have even had player modified UIs where you can bandage limbs, administer pain killers etc. But the main human skill part about FPS game is zapping other players using your hand and eye co-ordination skills. Why do you want to waste any more time than is strictly necessary time doing these other things?

I go out of my way to revive players in BF, but not because I'm crying inside at their injuries. I do it because I hate not being able to play, so I revive other players purely so that they can carry on playing without having to waste time respawning. When there is a downed teammate in BF what I see is someone who is missing out on playing. I don't like someone waiting for ages and being ignored. they want to get back in the game and play.

As with the planes now having to fly through a resupply point in the sky. If the new resupply system for planes costs the plane user's time, but increases the play time of players on the ground - as they won't be killed as much by planes that now have to fly away to resupply - then I think that is unfair on the player using the plane. Instead they should make it quicker and easier to revive the player on the ground.

I hope I haven't misunderstood the topic.
  • AnimalMutha20019
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Medics and Support, as an incentive for team revives and ammo drops, you could incorporate some kind of small bonus for each, like a few extra rounds for medics, and a small health increase for support doing their jobs.
  • Rev0verDrive
    warslag wrote:
    Aren't these FPS games just a test of hand and eye co-ordination? If so, then isn't waiting for an animation to complete whilst you hold down a key to revive someone just a waste of time? Picking up ammo, in the way I've seen DrDisRespect do in his PUBG videos, looks like a waste of time to me. I don't understand what you get from making it take longer to revive or to get ammo?

I have played quite a bit of ARMA 3 and dragging or carrying downed players or being dragged or carried becomes really annoying when you have played the game a lot. In ARMA 3 they have even had player modified UIs where you can bandage limbs, administer pain killers etc. But the main human skill part about FPS game is zapping other players using your hand and eye co-ordination skills. Why do you want to waste any more time than is strictly necessary time doing these other things?

I go out of my way to revive players in BF, but not because I'm crying inside at their injuries. I do it because I hate not being able to play, so I revive other players purely so that they can carry on playing without having to waste time respawning. When there is a downed teammate in BF what I see is someone who is missing out on playing. I don't like someone waiting for ages and being ignored. they want to get back in the game and play.

As with the planes now having to fly through a resupply point in the sky. If the new resupply system for planes costs the plane user's time, but increases the play time of players on the ground - as they won't be killed as much by planes that now have to fly away to resupply - then I think that is unfair on the player using the plane. Instead they should make it quicker and easier to revive the player on the ground.

BF isn't your normal FPS. It's not just about Run-n-gun twitch aim skill. I think that's one of, if not the biggest dividers amongst the player base. Why does every shooter have to be centric around the principles of arena shooters? Don't like the mechanics, don't play. If twitch style mechanics are what you want why not play a twitch based game like UT4? It's pure arena carnage.

^^^ Generalized questions not directly aimed at you.
  • warslag
    1183 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    warslag wrote:

BF isn't your normal FPS. It's not just about Run-n-gun twitch aim skill. I think that's one of, if not the biggest dividers amongst the player base. Why does every shooter have to be centric around the principles of arena shooters? Don't like the mechanics, don't play. If twitch style mechanics are what you want why not play a twitch based game like UT4? It's pure arena carnage.

I didn't play 1942 so I don't know what BF was like in that one. But I played BF2, BF3, BF4, BF1 and the BCs. BF4 and BF1 were the first BFs where reviving changed a bit. In BF2 and BF3 revives were instant and so were resupplies.

Even in BF1 I have been running and gunning with the Annihilator a fair bit recently. I don't like the term "twitch skill" it seems pejorative to me.

I played getting on for 4,000 hours in BF2 and I have clear memories of grenade spam over the fence to Hotel on Karkand because the resupplies were instant. Players would "dolphin dive" and zap other players. Surely that was "twitch skill"? It was really good fun as BF2ers will not stop telling you.

In BF3 I cut through entire teams. I zapped a few players, I zapped a player back to life and then carried on zapping some more players. It was great, I loved it. No, it was phenomenal. I had thousands of "hackusations". I had accusations of using macros to revive players. I was just fast. My key binds were tip-top because I had put the hours into my gaming to gain the experience to have the knowledge to be able to do the stuff that made me a good player. You cannot hang weights around me in the form of little bits of time here and there to slow me down just so other players can keep up.

I don't want to stare at the CGI face of a player I'm reviving while I get zapped in the back by little Tommy Snowflake. Tommy can zap my friend, I'll zap Tommy and zap my friend back to life then zap all of Tommy's mates. And then they all come crying to the forums saying "make reviving take longer" "make it take longer to resupply grenades" "make ammo scarce" "buff AA" "remove M16" "nerf planes" "nerf bunny hopping" "nerf dolphin diving". It is not right to solve people's problems by adding time weighting to the various mechanisms of BF.

I think a lot of players were unhappy with being steamrolled in BF3 especially in CQ. Any solutions to that unhappiness should not cost players time. I think that it is an inelegant solution but it is also downright unfair, pathetic and boring.

I don't mean to bark at you and I'm sorry if it comes across that way.
  • dinobass
    130 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I hope they add a few more receiving ammo and health animations. Right now there's only the one and it gets really repetitive.
  • Rev0verDrive
    edited June 2018
    warslag wrote: »
    warslag wrote:

I didn't play 1942 so I don't know what BF was like in that one. But I played BF2, BF3, BF4, BF1 and the BCs. BF4 and BF1 were the first BFs where reviving changed a bit. In BF2 and BF3 revives were instant and so were resupplies.

Even in BF1 I have been running and gunning with the Annihilator a fair bit recently. I don't like the term "twitch skill" it seems pejorative to me.

I played getting on for 4,000 hours in BF2 and I have clear memories of grenade spam over the fence to Hotel on Karkand because the resupplies were instant. Players would "dolphin dive" and zap other players. Surely that was "twitch skill"? It was really good fun as BF2ers will not stop telling you.

In BF3 I cut through entire teams. I zapped a few players, I zapped a player back to life and then carried on zapping some more players. It was great, I loved it. No, it was phenomenal. I had thousands of "hackusations". I had accusations of using macros to revive players. I was just fast. My key binds were tip-top because I had put the hours into my gaming to gain the experience to have the knowledge to be able to do the stuff that made me a good player. You cannot hang weights around me in the form of little bits of time here and there to slow me down just so other players can keep up.

I don't want to stare at the CGI face of a player I'm reviving while I get zapped in the back by little Tommy Snowflake. Tommy can zap my friend, I'll zap Tommy and zap my friend back to life then zap all of Tommy's mates. And then they all come crying to the forums saying "make reviving take longer" "make it take longer to resupply grenades" "make ammo scarce" "buff AA" "remove M16" "nerf planes" "nerf bunny hopping" "nerf dolphin diving". It is not right to solve people's problems by adding time weighting to the various mechanisms of BF.

I think a lot of players were unhappy with being steamrolled in BF3 especially in CQ. Any solutions to that unhappiness should not cost players time. I think that it is an inelegant solution but it is also downright unfair, pathetic and boring.

I don't mean to bark at you and I'm sorry if it comes across that way.

There were actually 2 BF titles prior to BF2. Of course the famed 1942 and there was BF Vietnam (original BFV).

Mechanics wise they were identical. Vehicles as with infantry had limited ammo. No revives, 3D/2D/Audio spotting, no auto vehicle repair, no auto regen, no spawn beacons, team/squad leader spawning, FF on by default etc and so forth. Hardcore and gritty.

Medics in both of these titles manually healed players. It wasn't passive. The medic had to actively apply meds/bandages etc. Med Bays at flags would do passive healing, but you had to stand next to the med bay for it to apply...similar to med kits. There wasn't anything that would apply/regen health on the run.

As far as a class that carried ammo for in field resupply. There wasn't one. If you needed ammo you either pushed a flag or stopped at a waypoint in route to a flag. Classes in themselves were very specific and focused. e.g. Anti-Tank classes didn't have anything to fight infantry with other than a pistol and a knife.

Death was death and you respawned at main, a captured flag point or a team based mobile spawn (1 for each team).

BF2 introduced all the fantastical mechanics. So if you started the series from that point forward I can understand your point of view. Some of those mechanics (squad systems, in field supply etc) were great additions. The others were heavily described as crutch mechanics only introduced to aid in the recruitment of new players to the series.

For me it's great to see the game mechanics going back to their roots.

As far as revives are concerned I'd like to see them gone from the series or at a minimum the whole process reworked. If reworked I'd prefer a knocked (not dead) approach. Get knocked and you have a chance at a revive. But while knocked a few more hits and you are dead, thus forced to respawn. This gives the shooter a chance to permanently drop you at the cost of a few more shots. None of this fantastical dead, but not dead and can be resurrected garbage. Last I checked this was a shooter not world of warcrack.

Pace wise the original two titles where fast, TTK was slightly lower or on par with BF2. If you ran around like a zombie you'd get swatted quickly. You either played smart or you played dead. Your fair chance was given at spawn. How long you lived solely depended on you, not a mechanic.

I'm an old school thumper. Doom, Tribes, Quake, Unreal, Red Faction are at the core of my FPS experience. Played every major FPS series from 92' onward. Did the whole ladder/league deal in the 90's to 2006/7. I like gritty skill based games. Not just gun skill, but games that require more than just strafing and aiming. BF offers that on many levels and did more so in its infancy. It was rooted more in realism at a fundamental level. That's all I'm really saying.
  • Lethalsaints
    22 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Maybe they should have chests scattered around the map. Might get a gold Scar!!
  • Zviko0
    1353 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    When I first heard the devs talking about this game being all about interaction and no more magic health or ammo pickups I got really excited.

Same. I thought everything will be much slower like medics bandaging people and players actually picking up ammo. Feels like they oversold it. They talked about the hand but we only got the finger. ;)
  • disposalist
    8279 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2018
    Yeah I don't think it's a laziness thing. It's a balance thing. They've made it so that ammo/health (and other aspects) are much more *active*. You have to look at and click an ammo box or ammo dump. The fact that the following animation is short *shrug* it's more tactical and less passive than simply wandering nearby and having no animation at all.

Much like many other arguments being had on this forum, people seem to have taken some of DICE's comments and taken them to mean BF5 will be some kind of milsim all of a sudden. It's still a BF shooter.
  • Assyriansniper1
    Well if you guys notice in BF1, there is an entire animation of you going into a vehicle. I have sniped players many times before they were able to do so. Its very gratifying. I think this adds a sense of urgency and excitement for both players. In the end isnt that what this is all about? I mean how many countless titles out there ignore this sort of thing and arent you guys tired of the same old run and gun shooters? You dont have to go all out sim to find that balance between realism and fun. I think DICE has already started something new here with BF1 that was alien to mainstream fps shooters. I really want to see them implement more engaging animations that are part of being in the battle. You notice you have limited ammo now right? Thats just an element created to make the game less arcade like and more tactical. Everything in a battlefield is a risk. Getting shot while trying to pickup ammo will add a sense of urgency and excitement to the battlefield. I believe that 100%. I like the direction DICE is going with all of this stuff. But I can imagine the pushback from a community that has been programmed to expect instant action and not having to think before you act.